Is the Cav Sky move a done deal?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    tim wand wrote:
    Stars of the peloton are usually GC contenders and not just sprinters. Probably only Super Mario I can think of that changed that. If you think Cav's got Ego and arrogance then the "Lion King" was supreme,But God what a marketing dream.

I don't think that's true (sorry to disagree with you so much today). Going back in history, the likes of van Looy, van Steenbergen, Raas, Kelly and DeVlaeminck were all big stars - but not really GC guys (primarily). Sure they were classics guys rather than out and out sprinters, but the pure sprinter is a relatively new phenomenon.

I don't think there's any doubt that Gilbert, Boonen and Cancellara are amongst the biggest stars of today.

I'd say that the top ten names in cycling today are: Contador, Gilbert, Cavendish, Evans, Cancellara, Schleck, definitely. Then probably Boonen, Basso, Nibali and Hushovd.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • All that c****p about the team is this and the team is that from Cav was all b****ks. It was all about one man and one man only!
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    All that c****p about the team is this and the team is that from Cav was all b****ks. It was all about one man and one man only!

So he should stay loyal to his team, with no money, so he can repay his teammates by ensuring that the don't get paid?

We don't know what has happened behind the scenes, so let's not point the finger without insight.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sure, but the feeling I am getting is the sponsor pulled out on Sunday after Cav decided to find another team (on Saturday).

So had he stayed, they stood better chance of landing a sponsor.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Sure, but the feeling I am getting is the sponsor pulled out on Sunday after Cav decided to find another team (on Saturday).

Why should Cav had stayed. Why can't he move for the money? It's a job, and it's big business.

I've moved employers before because I was offered better terms of employment. People do it all the time.
  • Stapelton must feel like a total idiot right about now. At least he should. I bet he is not in the "I love Cav" fan club right now. Or maybe, as some would childishly retort, he really fancied Cav, made a homosexual move on him, and is now spurned and that is why htc folded.

From my persecutive , cavendishy used stapelton, then picked up his toys (renshaw and Bernie) and went to play elsewhere.

This is getting more fun by the minute.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Sure, but the feeling I am getting is the sponsor pulled out on Sunday after Cav decided to find another team (on Saturday).

If the sponsor hadn't signed a new deal by Sunday then why on Earth should any rider stick around and wait to see if they did? They've had bloody ages to land a sponsor, it should have been in place long before Aug 1st.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Stapelton must feel like a total idiot right about now. At least he should. I bet he is not in the "I love Cav" fan club right now. Or maybe, as some would childishly retort, he really fancied Cav, made a homosexual move on him, and is now spurned and that is why htc folded.

From my persecutive , cavendishy used stapelton, then picked up his toys (renshaw and Bernie) and went to play elsewhere.

Give it a rest. You know absolutely nothing about what was going on in HTC. Your posts are just blind conjecture wrapped up in the sort of rhetoric a 12 year old might employ. It's incredibly tiresome. Even if your posts were 100% in agreement with my opinions I'd find you the most irritating poster on the forum for the way you write them. Please grow up*.

*If you are actually 12 years old then please disregard this post.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    708912 wrote:
    As I stated earlier this week; Cav signed for sky last week for 2.5m ( not about the money thought!) Part of the deal was Renshaw (1m). Bernie was being negotiated out of HtC, but now that is a done deal.
    The HtC/ radioshack merger clearly had a clash of egos and Lance had all the cards.

So just to be clear - the ink is aleady dry on the Sky contract. Why is Cav playing games? Read his bloody book and listen to anyone that ever worked with him; EGO and a total fool. However, coupled with being the most talented sprinter of his generation ( all time?) he is great for the sport and the UK.

Again. I repeat. Sky deal done last week for 2.5M. With Renshaw. And imagine the image rights being part of SKY for such a character/ winner. It's not about the money though.

All will be revealed.

i have to agree with you Sir. Please see my earlier post which came to the same conclusion. Cavendishy lovers here have no objectivity.

Last laugh!

I had a feeling you two would agree. :roll:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Stapelton must feel like a total idiot right about now. At least he should. I bet he is not in the "I love Cav" fan club right now. Or maybe, as some would childishly retort, he really fancied Cav, made a homosexual move on him, and is now spurned and that is why htc folded.

Was that a deliberate choice of word - very apt?

Not that cav will lose any sleep over your persecution......not as much sleep as you obviously lose obsessing over him.

All this stuff about "last laugh" and "more fun by the minute"......what on earth are you talking about? A top sport star is changing teams for (presumably) more money - a point made entirely moot by the fact his previous employer is no longer in business. Why are there any last laughs or fun to be had? I guess YOU are having fun trying to twist facts to back up your sociopath theory, but it's a pretty tedious theory - with about as much evidence as my rebuffed homosexual theory about you.....

The only fun I'm having is the schadenfreude of watching your complete mental breakdown....and there is plenty of evidence for that all over these pages.

right, must stop feeding the troll......
  • cornoyemade what are you, 12 or something? If you're trolling then you're not doing a great job. Try visiting a few more American forums and getting your trolling a bit more refined. Poor effort. C-
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    708912 wrote:
    coupled with being the most talented sprinter of his generation ( all time?) he is great for the sport and the UK.

i have to agree with you Sir.

Well that makes a refreshing change!
  • 708912 wrote:
    As I stated earlier this week; Cav signed for sky last week for 2.5m ( not about the money thought!) Part of the deal was Renshaw (1m). Bernie was being negotiated out of HtC, but now that is a done deal.
    The HtC/ radioshack merger clearly had a clash of egos and Lance had all the cards.

So just to be clear - the ink is aleady dry on the Sky contract. Why is Cav playing games? Read his bloody book and listen to anyone that ever worked with him; EGO and a total fool. However, coupled with being the most talented sprinter of his generation ( all time?) he is great for the sport and the UK.

Again. I repeat. Sky deal done last week for 2.5M. With Renshaw. And imagine the image rights being part of SKY for such a character/ winner. It's not about the money though.

All will be revealed.

Not to be too skeptical, but what are your sources?

I'm a Cav fan, not a HTC fan as in it doesn't bother me who he rides for as long as he does well. As far as i was aware, Team Sky's 5 year plan was to have a British winner of the TdF GC.....please correct me if i'm wrong? I can't really see how this will work if they also want Cavendish to win stages?

HTC on a few occasions had a 9 man lead out for stages....can you see the likes of Wiggo and co. risking burning out/crashing etc by leading out Cav? I'll wait for official news before passing judgement i think!
  • Thing is, Cav doesn't NEED an 8 man lead-out - he's brilliant at jumping onto the wheel of the person who he thinks is going to get him to the line quickest. Sky could have a 4 man lead-out train for him and it would be enough. That leaves the GC contender (Wiggo) and 3 other riders to save their legs if necessary.

Meh, it's all conjecture until he reveals all.
  • "I am obviously very disappointed that HTC Highroad will no longer be a team at the end of this season. I am hugely indebted and incredibly grateful to my teammates and all the staff for their support over the last 5 years and I am immensely proud of what we have achieved together.

A number of teams have expressed interest in me riding for them in 2012. I have now made a decision I am happy with and will be in a position to discuss my intentions once everything has been finalised."

http://www.markcavendish.co.uk/news/
  • Sure, but the feeling I am getting is the sponsor pulled out on Sunday after Cav decided to find another team (on Saturday).

If the sponsor hadn't signed a new deal by Sunday then why on Earth should any rider stick around and wait to see if they did? They've had bloody ages to land a sponsor, it should have been in place long before Aug 1st.

Well...you can say the same thing about the riders too, its not like the transfer deadline was approaching why didn't he just waiting if the sponsors would situation resolve say by end of August? So if the sponsor pulls out for other reasons then fair enough Cav can go and find a team.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Well...you can say the same thing about the riders too, its not like the transfer deadline was approaching why didn't he just waiting if the sponsors would situation resolve say by end of August? So if the sponsor pulls out for other reasons then fair enough Cav can go and find a team.

This would be the sponsor who was to be announced on the first rest day of the tour. Then on the second rest day of the tour.

Obviously none of us know what's going on behind closed doors but Cav needs a team to ride for next year. If Bob can't secure a sponsor before the transfer window then his riders will have to start looking elsewhere.Other teams will fill their rosters or reach their budget caps and a bunch of riders will be left standing when the music stops. The options outside highroad will be rapidly closing.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    708912 wrote:

All will be revealed.

Whoever your source is I can tell they have sold you up the path with this.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    708912 wrote:

All will be revealed.

Whoever your source is I can tell they have sold you up the path with this.

Nah, you can't just do that can you.....................
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pat1cp wrote:
    708912 wrote:

i have to agree with you Sir. Please see my earlier post which came to the same conclusion. Cavendishy lovers here have no objectivity.

Last laugh!

I had a feeling you two would agree. :roll:
    Have to say that I agree on the ego point too. Cav's got ridiculously big ego, but fortunately he also seems to be quite an empathetic, generous guy to people around him (they're not mututally exclusive) so he's bearable.

Re him not announcing his team yet, it's because he won't be allowed to. Sky will want to time it for maximium impact/benefit. It's got nothing to do with Cav.

Btw 708912, what other "inside knowledge" have you got? If you're proved right on this you could have just taken a punt.
  • He has a big ego, but it's backed up by being bloody quick in the last 250m of races....as has been stated you can add to that, he actually bigs his team mates up every chance he gets, and as big as his ego may well be, i'm pretty sure he knows that without them around him, he wouldn't be doing as well as he is!
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    There seem to be rumours going round now that Cav could be joining Greenedge? Pure speculation or does anyone think there's something in it?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I can't see Cav going to Sky. It will be very tough fir a GC team to support a green Jersey contender & a GC rider properly.
    I predict a move to a team with solo breakaways nag green jersey aspirations..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    moonshine wrote:
    I can't see Cav going to Sky. It will be very tough fir a GC team to support a green Jersey contender & a GC rider properly.

As has been said before, (and I've said it before) Telokom did it fine.

Sky makes sense. Sky have the cash, the geographical advantage.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    moonshine wrote:

The difference is Cavendish is head and shoulders the best sprinter so we don’t see other teams chasing down the breaks.

I reckon Zabel was more equal compared to his peers, or that Telekom weren’t expected to work as HTC have been, meaning the team could be split into the sprinters half and the GC half or whatever.

Cavendish requires a team much more heavily balanced in his favour, due to his superiority over the competition.
    Mañana
  • Cav already knew he'd be riding for Sky when both were at the Nationals. Eisel and Renshaw were still under contract for 2 years with HTC so Sky would have had to have brought them out of their contracts, unless HTC folded. With Rehsaw being part of the Aussie olympic setup Dave Bailsford has a dilemma as he's head of both road and track, does he sign Renshaw and potentially assist his training or have him as competition for Cav?

As for Cav not coming out and saying who he's riding for, think of the free publicity Sky are getting :D
  • Greenedge would be a good team name for someone with green jersey aspirations ;)

Saw something on Twitter about Sky offering a contract to an "Aussie pursuiter" on the provision that they do not ride in the olympics :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pb21 wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

The difference is Cavendish is head and shoulders the best sprinter so we don’t see other teams chasing down the breaks.

I reckon Zabel was more equal compared to his peers, or that Telekom weren’t expected to work as HTC have been, meaning the team could be split into the sprinters half and the GC half or whatever.

Cavendish requires a team much more heavily balanced in his favour, due to his superiority over the competition.

Wiggins once got 4th in the Tour, with very little help, and won the Dauphine with the help of maybe 2-3 riders?

Seriously, Sky get waaay more out of Cavendish winning a lot then Wiggins maybe making the top 10.

Sky get the most out of having Cavendish, so will be willing to pay him the most.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Sky.His quote the other day was something like "I'll get the same money wherever I go. The team I'm going to has chucked summat's else in the pot which I wanted". Gotta be the Olympic RR. Can't imagine that someone like Greenedge would be impressed with that. Brailsford on the other hand, being performance director of British Cycling would be able to offer him that, surely? The British RR team is basically gonna be Sky in GB kit anyway, what with G, Wiggo etc. The only draw I see with Greenedge is the Scott bikes, which HTC used in their first year.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625

Saw something on Twitter about Sky offering a contract to an "Aussie pursuiter" on the provision that they do not ride in the olympics :shock:

If that was Matt Rendell's tweet, then it didn't name Sky. It said an English speaking team...

https://twitter.com/mrendell/status/99435112327942144