Is the Cav Sky move a done deal?

Comments

• GB is producing some fantastic young talent - Cav being the standard bearer. Sky is a good team with good intentions, but isn't concentrating all the British talent in one team a bad thing? Surely riders' team roles will limit the number of point scoring riders, and ultimately team size for W Champs and Olympics?
  • is
    iainf72 wrote:
    Heard from a reliable source that Renshaws going to Garmin so maybe the Rabobank deal isn't quite as done as people think it is.

So is Cavendish :wink:

Seems to be the latest hot rumour. At least that's what @UCI_Overlord is tweeting, so he either has some inside knowledge or is having a bit of fun with @Vaughters
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I guess the ex-HTC guys have gotten over Vaughters ordering Garmin to chase down Hincapie a couple of year sago then ;)

Renshaw's important to Cav as he knows how to read the last few km's, where to position himself and is strong enough to stop other riders muscling in on the train. He's quick no doubt but I don't think he has top-level sprinter speed at the moment, although he could probably develop that if allowed to focus.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Aren't Garmin called Garmin-Starbucks next year?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    cyclismactu has cav to sky today.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Renshaw to Rabobank now confirmed. Announced by Breukink today at the Eneco Tour start.

Main reason according to Breukink was his lead-out experience, 'although he'll get his own chances'... guessing they're thinking Bos with a lead-out can be competitive? Can't see any other sprinters needing a lead-out at Rabo. Or... Cav made his decision about next year when in Eindhoven... :wink:
  • RichN95.
    FJS wrote:
    Renshaw to Rabobank now confirmed. Announced by Breukink today at the Eneco Tour start.

Main reason according to Breukink was his lead-out experience, 'although he'll get his own chances'... guessing they're thinking Bos with a lead-out can be competitive? Can't see any other sprinters needing a lead-out at Rabo. Or... Cav made his decision about next year when in Eindhoven... :wink:

They've got Matthews. He's better than Bos IMO.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

They've got Matthews. He's better than Bos IMO.
    I agree he's better, or going to be better, but not necessarily faster and focusing on the same races. He's more a Sagan/Freire/Rojas/Hushovd type sprinter, who could do with someone to position him in the last km but wouldn't hugely benefit from a full lead-out train like Cav/Greipel/Petacchi.
  • Cav was like a kid who had his xmas pressies early when he announced he had a great deal, bit couldnt say. I can't imagine xmas in the cavendish household would be any fun without Renshaw to dinner, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pop up next to him. why on earth would he go to Sky? super G to lead him out, but he'd have to compete with EBH at some point surely. sky is all about GC, you can't go for both.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    Cav was like a kid who had his xmas pressies early when he announced he had a great deal, bit couldnt say. I can't imagine xmas in the cavendish household would be any fun without Renshaw to dinner, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pop up next to him. why on earth would he go to Sky? super G to lead him out, but he'd have to compete with EBH at some point surely. sky is all about GC, you can't go for both.

Maybe Raboobank would like to increase their profile in the UK... they're already sponsoring the Celtic Rugby League :wink:
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Rabo seem to have a lot of money to throw at not-quite-the-best-in-the-world riders.

They need to pull their finger out and get Goss, since he's clearly the next Freire, rather than spunking it on some Australian that isn't hungry enough.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    The plot thickens.
    Cav was like a kid who had his xmas pressies early when he announced he had a great deal, bit couldnt say. I can't imagine xmas in the cavendish household would be any fun without Renshaw to dinner, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pop up next to him. why on earth would he go to Sky? super G to lead him out, but he'd have to compete with EBH at some point surely. sky is all about GC, you can't go for both.

True.

Cav said he'd made up his mind in Eindhoven.

So maybe.............maybe.................all three of them are going to Rabo. Which would make Rabobank look like a sprinter's tea party.

He's on holiday in Italy, but he's not tweeted yet about Renshaw's signing yet.

Cue a tweet any minute now.
  • Renshaw
    For many years I helped others to win races, now I'm going to try some of the biggest competitions to win myself.

Not sure why anyone really honestly thinks Cav is going with him. Sky have more than enough people who can lead out well and with that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't offer renshaw the money he probably wants.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Renshaw
    For many years I helped others to win races, now I'm going to try some of the biggest competitions to win myself.

Not sure why anyone really honestly thinks Cav is going with him. Sky have more than enough people who can lead out well and with that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't offer renshaw the money he probably wants.

That rather contradicts the statements coming from some of the Rabobank "stars". Which isn't really a good start.

Good luck to him.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Renshaw

Not sure why anyone really honestly thinks Cav is going with him.

Because any DS with good sense knows Renshaw isn't hungry enough to warrant the paycheck he probably demands.

He's an excellent domestique for a sprinter. Really excellent - and they're very tough to come by.

That, by definition, rules him out of team leader duties.
  • RichN95.
    Renshaw

The one rider no-one has mentioned as being a lead-out man, probably because he's been linked with a move, is Chris Sutton. Personally, I think he's top notch lead out material and has always done it well in the past.
  • Straight fro Renshaw's Twitter feed:

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. Hard decision to make but i feel its time to try my hand at winning. Big times ahead!

Have so many great memories with @HTCHighroad, @MarkCavendish, Burnie & guys. Cycling is a small world, Im sure we will work together again!

And there is still a lot of racing to be done! Looking forward to a strong finish to this great season with @HTCHighroad !!!
  • Tusher
    Well, that puts the kybosh on Renshaw staying with Cavendish then. Although I'm sure Cav will manage very well without him.

Just wish I could feel as confident for Renshaw.
  • what are the odds that cavendishy is crying right now? good i'd say.
  • cavendishy.jpg
  • Tusher wrote:
    Well, that puts the kybosh on Renshaw staying with Cavendish then. Although I'm sure Cav will manage very well without him.

Meh, could just be a big smokescreen! If Cav aint with Renshaw and the train, then someone has given him some pretty big promises. Can you really see EBH and Super G giving him the same llead out? Swifty is good, but not in their league yet. G is more likely to develop into a GC rider, and EBH is more gilbert than intercity express. Unless Cav is hyping things up, but let's be honest he aint no poker player!
  • Tusher
    Mmmm. Possibly.

Odd that's he's tweeted about a romantic dinner in Tuscany, but not about Renshaw's signing. Can't believe he doesn't know about it.
  • Duh! Of course he knows, he is just waiting for his twitter ghost writer to write a tweet that doesn't say something like this . . . ."renshaw's f****ing rapid, I never leave renshaw's wheel...where is my train and my blankie . . . mommy!" I trust that his ghost writer will be more diplomatic.
  • Tusher wrote:
    Mmmm. Possibly.

Odd that's he's tweeted about a romantic dinner in Tuscany, but not about Renshaw's signing. Can't believe he doesn't know about it.

I'm sure he does, and probably knew whether he was staying or going when he did his own deal.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    what are the odds that cavendishy is crying right now? good i'd say.

D'ya think Peta caught him with her teeth then? I reckon she'd be better than that!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    Tusher wrote:

Meh, could just be a big smokescreen! If Cav aint with Renshaw and the train, then someone has given him some pretty big promises. Can you really see EBH and Super G giving him the same llead out? Swifty is good, but not in their league yet. G is more likely to develop into a GC rider, and EBH is more gilbert than intercity express. Unless Cav is hyping things up, but let's be honest he aint no poker player!

Cav has managed to win plenty without Renshaw. 8 Tour stages, 3 Giro stages, 3 Vuelta stages + points jersey, Milan San Remo, 3 Scheldeprijs just for starters.

He'll do fine with any half decent lead out. It's the Bak/Pate type rider he needs more.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    well thats the first confirmation of corneycock's 'Cav Renshaw Eisel to SKY its a done deal you idiots' being utter drivel

oh and if you think you are upsetting anyone with your avatar of Cav crying you aren't. as a quaint old Brit I find it such displays of emotion endearing. My main concern is you probably have a collection of such photos and can barely rear yourself away from jazzing on them to type your ludicrous garbage on here.

sorry shouldn't feed the troll / wanker
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Duh! Of course he knows, he is just waiting for his twitter ghost writer to write a tweet that doesn't say something like this . . . ."renshaw's f****ing rapid, I never leave renshaw's wheel...where is my train and my blankie . . . mommy!" I trust that his ghost writer will be more diplomatic.

Genuine question: What's your problem with Cavendish?

Fair enough if you don't like him- everybody on here has riders they don't like, or really don't like.

But your Cavendish posts really are something else.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    If Cav is going to Rabobank then it,s a massive surprise here. Hardly a word has been spoken of cav signing for the Dutch Elite team. I really hope he doesnt sign for them it will be a waste of cavs talent. However the Rabobank team need to do something to enhance it,s reputation and gain some publicity after the performance of the riders in the last TDF. The Vacansolei team with Johhny Hoogerland were never out of the news and even the Dutch cycling programmes talked every day about the performances of the Vacansolei team and hardy mentioned the Rabobank team. The fact that the budget for the Vacansolei team is only a fraction of that of the Rabobank team didnt help either. Please Cav sign for SKY.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    708912 wrote:
    As I stated earlier this week; Cav signed for sky last week for 2.5m ( not about the money thought!) Part of the deal was Renshaw (1m). Bernie was being negotiated out of HtC, but now that is a done deal.
    The HtC/ radioshack merger clearly had a clash of egos and Lance had all the cards.

So just to be clear - the ink is aleady dry on the Sky contract. Why is Cav playing games? Read his bloody book and listen to anyone that ever worked with him; EGO and a total fool. However, coupled with being the most talented sprinter of his generation ( all time?) he is great for the sport and the UK.

Again. I repeat. Sky deal done last week for 2.5M. With Renshaw. And imagine the image rights being part of SKY for such a character/ winner. It's not about the money though.

All will be revealed.

Whoever your source is I can tell they have sold you up the path with this.

As said here this post was bull.