Is the Cav Sky move a done deal?

Comments

• I have some inside information from a very good source that Cavendish might be leaving HTC at the end of this season
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    A very reliable source close to British Cycling has comfirmed that Cav has signed for Sky, no news on who else may come or go though as a result of this.

This maybe comes as no surprise to some of us, it's going to be interesting seeing how he is going to fit in, there will have to be a major re-focus about team leaders and priorities, which could be far from straight forward.

Are Sky going to be a GC team at the major stage race events, a stage winning team or try for both, a tactic that BMC avoided at this years TDF when they put all resources behind Evans.

My gut feeling is that with Cavendish on board they have to play to his strengths when the parcours look favourable, which means that they would be wise to put the GC into a lower priority bracket as HTC have done so successfully. Then on the stage races that Cav doesn't do like the Paris - Nice etc, the team return to focus on the GC.

No doubt there will be some coming and going at Sky as a result of this.

Warning though: If someone the like Bob Stapleton can't raise sponsorship for what has been the most successful team over the last few years and don't forget they have a great female squad as well, then something isn't quite as it should be in the senior cycling world. :roll:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    When it comes to focusing on stage/GC wins, and the above example I think it comes down to this:

Sky have no GC riders of Evan's calibre

BMC have no stage winners of Cav's calibre

Sky getting Cav in makes sense from a BC getting the best British cyclists in the team. However, reading the blogs on the BBC website, and watching british news, one thing is clear...there is an incredible amount of misunderstanding towards road cycling and the tour de France. People either think that Cav could win if he tried a bit harder on the hills, or that Cavs stage wins are in essence completely worthless....
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    quote]

Genuine question: What's your problem with Cavendish?

Fair enough if you don't like him- everybody on here has riders they don't like, or really don't like.

But your Cavendish posts really are something else.[/quote]

I believe the young boy has been asked the question before but has failed to answer.
    Some people dislike Cav but it's not as if he's a huge doper like a load of Yanks we know!
    They're people you could genuinely really, really dislike
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    All getting to be a bit of a yawn-fest this isn't it?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Ms Tree wrote:

Have to agree even though I started the thread, why the secrecy HTC have folded the new deal is done........just tell us for feck sake!!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ms Tree wrote:

You're right. Why the secrecy? And why no tweeting for a week straight after the tour?
    And why am I sitting here adding to the debate when I should be making soup?
  • Jez mon
    Tusher wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

You're right. Why the secrecy? And why no tweeting for a week straight after the tour?
    And why am I sitting here adding to the debate when I should be making soup?

Well it's keeping Cavs name in the news in that part of the season where cycling pretty much vanishes from the media, between the end of July, and the start of July the next year!
  • Tusher
    True.

Best if he makes his announcement on December 28th, in that lull in the sport's world that's between Christmas and Hogmanay.
  • Jez mon
    Can't help you why you are skiving off you soup making duties though :D
  • Tusher
    Sigh. Because I've got to make two huge pots for Somalia for lunch tomorrow and I just can't be bothered.Pure procrastination.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Tusher wrote:
    And why no tweeting for a week straight after the tour? /quote]

You ve seen Peta right? Would you be tweeting after 3 weeks off?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I believe that Mark Renshaw alluded to the fact that High Road didn't want anyone to talk about transfers until September. Cav wants to ride the Vuelta so this probably explains his silence!
  • Tusher
    I mean, obviously not going to Somalia, but charging people for lunch, then sending the takings to Mary's Meals.

In fact, you could all have a virtual bowl of Tusher's special broth and carrot and orange and send the cash here- http://www.marysmeals.org.uk

Sandwiches, tea, coffee and cakes are included.

Truthfully, I find the soups easier to make than faffing around with icing sugar.

I guess I'm just lazy.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Nickwill wrote:
    I believe that Mark Renshaw alluded to the fact that High Road didn't want anyone to talk about transfers until September. Cav wants to ride the Vuelta so this probably explains his silence!

Probably why the Renshaw move is all over the cycling press then!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Nickwill wrote:

It was Goss who said that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Why would Highroad not want anyone to talk about transfers until September? They've already announced that they're having to fold. so what harm can announcements make to them?

(not doubting that they've asked their riders this, BTW)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Tusher wrote:
    Why would Highroad not want anyone to talk about transfers until September? They've already announced that they're having to fold. so what harm can announcements make to them?

(not doubting that they've asked their riders this, BTW)

Because cuddly bob is still holding out for last minute sponsorship, hoping to have gained attention at the final hour after announcing the end of HTC, thinking somebody may step in to help.....(just a theory)
  • Tusher
    Ah, I see. Thank you.
  • Jez mon
    I can sort of buy that, a potential sponsor might get some very good publicity, by stepping in last minute in the style of a superhero and saving the day...

However, I don't see it happening, the talented riders have already signed elsewhere, anyone taking over name sponsor of the High Road team would be inheriting the dregs of a team essentially built around getting one guy to the line first and I'm fairly sure he won't be there...

Might just be that Bob is trying to keep a team atmosphere for as long as possible.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Jez mon wrote:
    Might just be that Bob is trying to keep a team atmosphere for as long as possible.

More likely this, especially as Cav want's good support in this years Vuelta, if the atmosphere goes really sour, who's going to want to ride for Cav and who's going to give a monkeys about the vuelta anyway, plus different teams will have different agendas, announcing your new team to soon could leave you wanting for the rest of this season...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Jez mon wrote:

More likely this, especially as Cav want's good support in this years Vuelta, if the atmosphere goes really sour, who's going to want to ride for Cav and who's going to give a monkeys about the vuelta anyway, plus different teams will have different agendas, announcing your new team to soon could leave you wanting for the rest of this season...

They may not care about riding for Cav, but many of them will care about getting picked for the Worlds.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Jill Douglas (BBC Sport) tweets
    Ok road test event will feature on special BBC Olympic prog nxt Sunday. And @MarkCavendish will reveal nxt week who he'll ride for nxt year

She also tweets
    Interesting time at team hotel with @MarkCavendish and Dave Brailsford ahead of test event tomorrow. Cav looked very comfy in Sky gear...

So nothing to read in this thread for a week then
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    jill douglas is such a moose. he's being wearing GB kit for years so why wouldn't he look comfortable?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    gsk82 wrote:
    jill douglas is such a moose. he's being wearing GB kit for years so why wouldn't he look comfortable?

sounds a bit more like a loaded comment rather than just 'his clothes seemed to fit well and be made of fine material'
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    MrTapir wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

sounds a bit more like a loaded comment rather than just 'his clothes seemed to fit well and be made of fine material'

i think she knows nothing but is trying to sound like she does
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • MrTapir wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

:lol:

I liked that comment
  • Tusher
    MarkCavendish Mark Cavendish
    Just received some INCREDIBLE news from @millarmind. What a perfect day.

from twitter.

Transfer news, or has The Blessed David just become a father for the first time?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Told you he was going to Garmin :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.