The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 in black.

Loving it apart from the DT Swiss rims which are a bit soft and after 300 miles had 2 dings in the front rim and 4 in the rear.

Swapped the DT rims for some Mavic XM719 rims using new DT spokes. Tried out the new rims by smashing them over every rock and pothole I could find and no dings.

I'm having same problem, thinking of changing the rims ( i have nerve xc 7.0) Mavic XM 719's best choice?

The 719s are tough but you can get lighter or wider. For me personally as a big lad who likes to go flat out but doesnt do extreme stuff they are the best compromise. Plus in all the years I have been using Mavic rims I have never bust one apart from one time when someone in a car decided to jump the lights.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Does anyone have a canyon in raw finish? What does it look like?

Just got one here and in certain places, especially on the downtube, there are large, obvious marks where it looks like the frame has been brushed in the opposite direction to the rest, or where a coarser(sp?) grade of brush/sandpaper has been used. Is it supposed to be like this-does yours look like that-or is mine faulty?

Thanks
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    leaflite wrote:

Just got one here and in certain places, especially on the downtube, there are large, obvious marks where it looks like the frame has been brushed in the opposite direction to the rest, or where a coarser(sp?) grade of brush/sandpaper has been used. Is it supposed to be like this-does yours look like that-or is mine faulty?

Thanks

My Torque is Raw, looks fine to me.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

Thanks

Just uploaded a pic, does the finish look like this in places?
    p1010327n.jpg
    I need to establish whether mine is defective or wheter everyone else's raw canyons look the same

Thanks
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    leaflite wrote:

Thanks
    this guy may be able to help you viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12852717
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    leaflite wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

Thanks

p1010327n.jpg
    I need to establish whether mine is defective or wheter everyone else's raw canyons look the same

Thanks

Some bits are like that i think, never paid that much attention to it tho, that's how it would look after a crash anyway so why care about it?
  • Because it cost thousands of pounds!

I've seen a Raw finish Canyon on the trails and did notice abrasions on the frame like yours so i think what you've got is perfectly normal.
    However if your not happy with it, dont ride it outside, speak to Cullum at Canyon UK and exhange it for a painted model.

Rule one O' one. You've got to be happy with your bike.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • webby_1805
    webby_1805 Posts: 56
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    leaflite wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

Thanks

p1010327n.jpg

Thanks

Some bits are like that i think, never paid that much attention to it tho, that's how it would look after a crash anyway so why care about it?
    I have this and your pictures are correct for the Raw i had to make sure with another member as i thought it was more silver than brushed steel.
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    BTW, the Canyon TdF sale has started.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Can any Nerve owners tell me if it fits in a Thule Pro ride 591?
  • Well they arrived! Canyon Nerve XC7 (XS) for the fine lady and a Canyon Strive ES8 (M) for my fine self.

The Nerve was meant to be available from week 27 and the Strive week 26 so i was surprised that the Nerve arrive first and in week 25 with the Strive 2 working days later.

Luckily i ordered a replacement rear hanger for the Nerve as this was bent so the wheel wouldn't fit on. A replacement was sent out kindly by Canyon UK without any hassle to replace my replacement so that was appreciated.

The bikes are much better than i thought they were going to be. The attention to detail on them is unlike any other brand i've used before.

Overall extremely satisfied with both Canyon's communication and service but mostly the value for money factor :D

Pics

I thought the bike was going to have a White frame but it's brushed metal finish. Looks sweet!

DSC04252.jpg

Canyon's seat post clamp is totally effortless and holds the post no problem at all. Great design.

DSC04253.jpg

DSC04254.jpg

All protectors and frame tape added to the correct locations at the factory.

DSC04255.jpg

DSC04256.jpg

Poploc remote lockout for the SiD fork (grips replaced in photo)

DSC04257.jpg

DSC04258.jpg

Black section under the down tube is a plastic protection for the frame

DSC04259.jpg

DSC04260.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

Now onto the big boy

DSC04262.jpg

DSC04263.jpg

DSC04265.jpg

DSC04266.jpg

DSC04267.jpg

DSC04268.jpg

White strip of protective plastic on the down tube. Reverb hose needs to be shortened.

DSC04269-1.jpg

Avid Elixir 7's with new HS1 discs. Still make so much noise when in use like last years Avids. Being replaced with XT's which was the plan even before the bike arrived.

DSC04270.jpg

DSC04271.jpg

Matchmaker X system which i do like but prepared to lose out to go to XT brakes and sell the Elixirs.

DSC04272.jpg

DSC04273.jpg

Easy sag setting

DSC04276.jpg

Changed the Syntace rear X12 to DT Swiss RWS

DSC04277.jpg
    2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Sweet. What does she think of hers? The mech hangers are rubbish, I'd swap them out for the Pilo ones asap.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit wrote:
    Sweet. What does she think of hers? The mech hangers are rubbish, I'd swap them out for the Pilo ones asap.

She has only been out very briefly on it and not really enough to get a feel for it. She's only ever ridden a hardtail before so i can imagine it will take some time for her to get into using the feeling of a full suspension bike. She's on holiday just now so plan on taking to Glentress when she's back.

The Strive is easy to pedal up the hills but you can notice the larger resistance rolling with the bigger tyres compared to my Trance but they are two different bikes. The 36mm fork is how i wanted a fork to feel like when i bought my Trance a few years ago. Really happy with the way it operates and i can't wait until it's bedded in and i'm out giving it some punishment.

XT brakes are going on so if anyone wants to buy some newish Elixir 7's with discs then let me know.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    Thinking about taking the plunge and getting a xc 7.0 or 8.0 but can't decide on which. Is the £400 price difference justified. Love to hear from anyone with either bike or that knows more about components than I do!
    Whyte 905
  • The 7.0 is all the bike anyone in the market for a 120mm ravel XC bike needs.

The gearing, frame and finishing components are much the same on the 7.0 and 8.0 so hardly any notable performance difference there.

If bike weight bothers you or you plan on thrashing the hell out of it then go for the 8.0. You get a very slightly wider handlebar, better lighter brakes with more adjustability, better & lighter wheels and, where most of the extra money is going, the FOX fork with FIT valve.

If it was me, and i was on a budget, it would be a difficult choice between a 7.0 with an optional extra Reverb. Or the 8.0 without. Either way i'd have it in Forest green.

• I'm hoping to order a Strive 8.0 soon, interested to hear how you get on with it
  • I'm hoping to order a Strive 8.0 soon, interested to hear how you get on with it

I've not yet had the chance to get it to any place i would like to yet but i'll let you know.

I'll be calling Canyon UK in the morning as when i was out on the only ride the bike has ever seen i heard a funny noise like there was some loose ball bearings dropping every time the front wheel got round to a certain point. I never heard it again but when i was out in the street setting up the angle of the brake levers and shifters it appeared again. After some searching i can now confirm it's coming from inside the front wheel rim. I thought it could have been the bearings of the hub but even before getting bike i checked the Sun Ringle Charger Pro hub spec out and they are sealed bearings. The wheel, both front and back, spin for days with the lightest push too so it wasn't looking like it was actually the hub bearing. Like i say, ends up there is something inside the front wheel rim so that's pretty annoying.

See how the telephone conversation goes tomorrow. I'm hoping for them to offer collection of this wheel and at same time deliver another as i've not had the bike a week yet and i sure didn't cut the rim open and put something inside it then weld it back up. :D
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    See how the telephone conversation goes tomorrow. I'm hoping for them to offer collection of this wheel and at same time deliver another as i've not had the bike a week yet and i sure didn't cut the rim open and put something inside it then weld it back up. :D
    if your sure its in the rim why don't you just take the tyre and tube off and slowly spin it, see if anything falls out? might just be a bit of crap that got in when it was being laced, 5 min job
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    if your sure its in the rim why don't you just take the tyre and tube off and slowly spin it, see if anything falls out? might just be a bit of crap that got in when it was being laced, 5 min job

Rim and tube are off and by in i mean in between the two skins of the rim. Whatever it is it's not small and it's well hidden in there. I really want to know what it is.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    does it move all the way around the rim? must be a chance of getting it out if it does
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    does it move all the way around the rim? must be a chance of getting it out if it does

No it doesn't move all the way round the rim. If it was able to be removed i'm pretty sure i would have removed it.

This photo shows you what it is and i've marked the shape of it. It's like a W or V shape. There is another one just like it the spoke left of it but they are both under the join of the rim and there appears to be spot weld marks so looks like this one broke free and the other is still fixed. I can move the one in the photo but not the other.

IMG-20120703-005171.jpg
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356
    right, i get what you mean now, time for that phone call then, hope it gets sorted quickly
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Jimx26 wrote:

Jim, yes they do, both XC and AM are perfectly happy.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    right, i get what you mean now, time for that phone call then, hope it gets sorted quickly

So far not so good. I will post up how it goes once it's all sorted. For now, not too happpy. Will explain more as i said once it's all done and dusted.
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • FYI

Canyon have now released the new Canyon Nerve CF.
    Carbon fibre 120mm full sus.

£2419 with XT (inc clutch mech) and Fox
    £3079 with XO (inc clutch mech) and Kashima Fox
    £3649 with XTR (inc clutch mech) and Kashima Fox & Mavic Crossmax SLR

Not sure on the flex stays.
    How long before the140mm Nerve AM carbon? :-)

• Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Growmac wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:

Cheers,

I went ahead and ordered an XC 7 anyway as I didnt think there would be a problem.

It landed in the UK thi morning and should be delivered Monday, I can't wait!
  • Jimx26 wrote:
    Growmac wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:

Cheers,

I went ahead and ordered an XC 7 anyway as I didnt think there would be a problem.

Let's hope you don't need to speak to Canyon UK at any point of your ownership!
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • chez_m356 wrote:

No it doesn't move all the way round the rim. If it was able to be removed i'm pretty sure i would have removed it.

This photo shows you what it is and i've marked the shape of it. It's like a W or V shape. There is another one just like it the spoke left of it but they are both under the join of the rim and there appears to be spot weld marks so looks like this one broke free and the other is still fixed. I can move the one in the photo but not the other.

IMG-20120703-005171.jpg

Its the internal weld.. same happend to the Sunringle Drift 2.1's that came on my Torque. I sent em back to Canyon who sent the to Sun, but their response was 'wear and tear'. Chucked em in the bin as they were the terrible anyway... had them trued twice! :lol:
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Jimx26 wrote:
    Growmac wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:

Cheers,

I have and they were nothing but helpful. You can't rely on forum posts to get an objective view of anything.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Shackster wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:
    Growmac wrote:
    Jimx26 wrote:

Cheers,

I have and they were nothing but helpful. You can't rely on forum posts to get an objective view of anything.

+1 Cullen at Canyon is a top bloke.. Sorted me out a bolt in 2 days!