The Canyon bikes thread

Comments

• Had my new Canyon Nerve for a few months now and i must say, it really is a very fun and enjoyable bike to ride.

I previously and still own a 2003 Specialized M5 Sworks HT and did not have much problems getting used to this FSusser. During the purchase process i was really hesitant and unsure between purchasing a HT or a FS. Then Canyon had a factory sale on it and i bought it. Delivered within the week after payment.

16279389884_df820de3bc_s.jpg
  • I have lost both my seals for my internal cabling (the bit were the cable goes into the frame and stops water getting in) does anyone know where I can get replacements? I have emailed canyon but not had a reply
  • So far all of my issues and queries were resolved by utilising their online chat support.

I suppose you could give that a try. They usually take at least one working day to reply you via email.
  • Wormishere1
    Wormishere1 Posts: 284
    Hi,

Any thoughts on a 60mm stem/740mm bar combo for a Nerve 29er?

I have just got some wider bars (740) and the 90mm stem that is stock makes it quite slow when the going gets twisty...
    Remember Rule #5
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Hi Guys n Gals

Just after a bit of advice about the spec of two bikes i am considering:-

Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9
    Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9

The main differences appear to be:-

Higher grade carbon of the SLX frame (stronger??)
    Groupset - Deore XT triggershift vs SRAM X0 Gripshift (on the SLX)
    Brakes - Formula R1 TFRA vx Avid XO

The rest of the spec is pretty much identical with RS SID World Cup 29 forks, DT Swiss XR1501 wheels etc. There is only a couple of hundred grammes in it and the SLX is £300 more (£2,299 vs £2,599) so is the higher grade frame and the groupset / brakes worth the extra (i'm primarily a roadie so not up to speed on the latest kit)?? I keep reading that the Formula R1 brakes are the better of the two??
  • Just bought my new CF SLX and have replaced my 3rd .... Yes 3rd, cable guide under the bottom bracket where the front and rear mech cables drop down and feed internal to the front and rear derailleur . Its made of plastic and has cracked / snapped rendering the bike useless. Has anyone else experienced any similar issue with SRAM RED CF SLX set up ?
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    Riding a carbon fibre Kona Hardtail at the minute but the Nerve 6.0 has caught my eye.
    Is the difference in spec between it and the Nerve 7.0 enough to justify the price difference? €1399 v €1699

Nerve 6.0
    nerve-al-6_c1008_zpsin1sqqmk.png

Nerve 7.0
    nerve-al-7_c1023_zpswsgnbk0k.png
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    Hi Guys n Gals

Just after a bit of advice about the spec of two bikes i am considering:-

Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9
    Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9

The main differences appear to be:-

Higher grade carbon of the SLX frame (stronger??)
    Groupset - Deore XT triggershift vs SRAM X0 Gripshift (on the SLX)
    Brakes - Formula R1 TFRA vx Avid XO

The rest of the spec is pretty much identical with RS SID World Cup 29 forks, DT Swiss XR1501 wheels etc. There is only a couple of hundred grammes in it and the SLX is £300 more (£2,299 vs £2,599) so is the higher grade frame and the groupset / brakes worth the extra (i'm primarily a roadie so not up to speed on the latest kit)?? I keep reading that the Formula R1 brakes are the better of the two??

Did you come to a conclusion on this? I am currently having exactly the same issue. The weight difference is negligible. I spose it is about whether having the "better" frame matters - ie. will you plan on upgrading parts. Looking at the spec, upgrades would only give extremely marginal gains for the vast cost that could be negated just by having a pudding.

Twist grip shifters are an issue for some. I have used both the new incarnation twist grip and quality triggers and on balance I prefer triggers. it is just a slightly easier shift. Cant comment on the brakes - they all seem to work fine - even the Juicy 7s I have on my well-used 2008 spesh rockhopper. As far as I can tell the frame has slightly different carbon lay-up allowing slightly less density in places (and hence slightly lower weight) but same strength.

For me its between these two, Cube Elite Super HPC and Scott Scale 910. I am currently erring on the side of the Scott (even though it is the most expensive for the spec). This is going to be my race bike and, even though I have had two canyons before and they have been spot on, I want to be able to sit on before buying and the reviews for the Cube seem to say it is a bit twitchy on techy climbs.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Don B wrote:
    The Nerve 6.0 has caught my eye. Is the difference in spec between it and the Nerve 7.0 enough to justify the price difference?
    They're both great bikes. I went with the 7 in the end, just because I wanted the XT kit and have ridden Fox forks for as long as I can remember. The frame is the same, so you can change whatever you fancy over time.

The weight saving between the 2 is neglible too, the kit on the 7 is obviously a little better, but you'd be happy on whichever one you choose.
  • Don B
    Beardface wrote:
    Don B wrote:
    The Nerve 6.0 has caught my eye. Is the difference in spec between it and the Nerve 7.0 enough to justify the price difference?
    They're both great bikes. I went with the 7 in the end, just because I wanted the XT kit and have ridden Fox forks for as long as I can remember. The frame is the same, so you can change whatever you fancy over time.

The weight saving between the 2 is neglible too, the kit on the 7 is obviously a little better, but you'd be happy on whichever one you choose.
    Great, thanks for the feedback...now I've got to figure out if I can get one thru the bike to work scheme.
  • Felipe2105
    Felipe2105 Posts: 68
    I was going to order a stealth Nerve AL 7 on Tuesday (payday). Looks like delivery won't be until the first half of July :cry: . Anyone know when they'll release the 2016 models as I don't know if it's worth waiting till then?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Don B wrote:
    Beardface wrote:
    Don B wrote:

Great, thanks for the feedback...now I've got to figure out if I can get one thru the bike to work scheme.

I don't think they offer C2W unfortunately, but if you find different, be sure to let us know!
  • .:rico
    .:rico Posts: 6
    Late to the party, but just dropped my Spectral AL 8.0 EX order and it's due next week! Pushed it out by a week as I'm away on holiday and I don't fancy it sitting in UPS' warehouse.

I've come from a Marin, then the Specialized bug hit, with an Epic in 2006 before moving to a Stumpjumper Pro in 2009 which is the current bike.

Like others, I was nervous at shelling out the money on something I've not tried, but an acquaintance took delivery of the same bike 4 weeks ago and after a quick visit I was sold. Deliberated hard over alloy or carbon, but for the amount of riding (and my skills) head won and it's naked polished aluminium.

Very excited. I'll post pics upon arrival.
  • dakuan
    dakuan Posts: 10
    I ordered a Nerve 9 2014 from their sale stock. Had some delivery issues where they said they would ship that week but didn't for another 3. I tried to contract their customer services but got an automated reply saying they might reply within 3 days. In my opinion, this is not an acceptable level of communication for a mail order business.

When it did finally ship, things was compounded by DHL not updating their package tracker. It was stuck on 'waiting for parcel to be delivered to DHL' for about 4 days. Then it randomly appeared. Luckily I happened to be working from home that day. While it was a nice surprise, I was pretty unimpressed - had I not been working from home I would have missed it needlessly. After the bike was delivered the DHL tracker then updated all the intermediate steps after the fact.

The bike was very easily to assemble - the only thing that was lacking was rough baseline pressures for inflating the forks and shocks. It's a great ride, excellent suspension and very nimble on the trails. It is very lively though, I have been thrown off it a couple times where the nervy handling has caught me out. If you don't have the reflexes of a cat, it's a real handful at speed.
  • Don B
    I see the 2016 Spectral is available on the Canyon site...I emailed to see when the Nerve would be ready and the said end of September, just in case anyone interested!
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    I see the 2016 Spectral is available on the Canyon site...I emailed to see when the Nerve would be ready and the said end of September, just in case anyone interested!

I put an order down for a Spectral AL 8.0 the day after the 2016 range were announced as they were made available on the website to buy. The following day I got an email saying that they were out of stock..

I have replied asking if the entire 2016 range has sold out in 1 day.. :roll: :wink:

Edit: Looks like they were checking one of my old cancelled orders. Nothing to worry about :D
  • Hello

I am bettwen sizes on the spectal, can you help me out?
    I am 1,68 and size aims to S, but due to experiences in other brand rides, when I am descending I fell more confortable with M sizes.
    So I am trying to figure out if I can fit a M size.

Can some one tell me whats the measuremente from centerline of the bottom bracket hole to the top of the seat?
    If you are measuring this for me:
    THANKS IN FIRST PLACE and please do the following:
    I only need this input for S and M sizes
    Insert the reverb totally inside the top tube
    Make the reverb full extended.
    advise the frame size you have (S or M)
    advise the reverb size (100mm 125mm or 150mm)
    measuere from centerline of the bottom bracket hole to the top of the seat with above conditions
    a picture would be great too :)
    2n0kora.png
    Many thanks
    Bruno
  • Hello All,
    First post here! I've been on mtbr.com since a while but this forum looks more Euro friendly to me.

Since 2012 I've been trying to some pretty tecnical dh on an old 2002 Stumpjumper with a 29er Reba SL fork.

Up until two days I was looking for any Specialized Enduro until I found some late model very nicely wallet-friendly spec'd Canyon's.

Anyway, I need the most dh capable model Canyon AM rig.
    I've been pretty overwhelmed with all the codes and names they use for the two model lines I'm interested in.
    As of right now and with only two days of intensive research; more to go I know! I'm pretty split between most the Torque and Strive lines.
    It definitely needs to be a good climber and more importantly to me a great dh.

I weigh 92kg and am 1,92m. Thanks!!!
  • Hello All,
    First post here! I've been on mtbr.com since a while but this forum looks more Euro friendly to me.

Since 2012 I've been trying to some pretty tecnical dh on an old 2002 Stumpjumper with a 29er Reba SL fork.

Up until two days I was looking for any Specialized Enduro until I found some late model very nicely wallet-friendly spec'd Canyon's.

Anyway, I need the most dh capable model Canyon AM rig.
    I've been pretty overwhelmed with all the codes and names they use for the two model lines I'm interested in.
    As of right now and with only two days of intensive research; more to go I know! I'm pretty split between most the Torque and Strive lines.
    It definitely needs to be a good climber and more importantly to me a great dh.

I weigh 92kg and am 1,92m. Thanks!!!

If you want a decent pedaling bike which is massive but still versatile I would go with the Strive. The DH capabilities are much better than the 2002 Stumpy and Canyon's EWS guys are running them. If you are mostly riding bike parks with lift access and the pedaling is not that important then get the Torque it's 15kg but a bomber on downhills.
  • Am looking for a road bike to try and get some more miles in my legs and really fancy a canyon but they are pretty pricey according to this http://road.cc/content/news/164726-canyon-bicycles-2016-road-bike-range-first-look and I'm not sure if you can get them on cyclescheme.

Anyone have any advice?

• If you want a decent pedaling bike which is massive but still versatile I would go with the Strive. The DH capabilities are much better than the 2002 Stumpy and Canyon's EWS guys are running them. If you are mostly riding bike parks with lift access and the pedaling is not that important then get the Torque it's 15kg but a bomber on downhills.

The Torque is the worst freeride / downhill bike I have ridden since the old style Giant Glory.
    The rear suspension is far too linear so it bottoms out too easily.
    There's something wrong with the geometry, couldn't work out exactly what but it's really twitchy through rock gardens but that could be related to it's biggest problem, flex. It's like the frame has a hinge in the middle, pump it in to a berm and you really feel it twisting and flexing. Holding a line through high speed, rough turns is impossible.
    There's a good reason why they are rarely seen on trails now, they used to be popular but not for long.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Canyon Strive - Shapeshifter problems...

I've recently taken delivery of a new Canyon Strive 6.0 AL Race (2015) and on the first ride was very happy with it. @nd ride however had a complete failure of the shapeshifter system. Seems like a seal has gone inside and oil has gotten into the air chamber rendering it useless. When I took the pump off having tried to re-pressurise it, thinking that was the fault, oil squired from the valve.

It seems to be quite a common fault with some reports of it on pinkbike: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=168001

Has anyone here had a similar issue? I have emailed Canyon UK as the phonelines are Monday to Friday only....

Other than this issue the bike is great and the spec is amazing for the money. Just hope this issue gets sorted quickly...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The Torque is the worst freeride / downhill bike I have ridden since the old style Giant Glory.

... it's biggest problem, flex. It's like the frame has a hinge in the middle, pump it in to a berm and you really feel it twisting and flexing. Holding a line through high speed, rough turns is impossible.
    There's a good reason why they are rarely seen on trails now, they used to be popular but not for long.

You seem to mention frame flex whenever someone mentions a Canyon bike, but I've rarely seen this mentioned by reviewers (other than yourself). e.g. the BikeRadar review of the Torque doesn't mention this at all (and in fact praises its handling!) Are you super-sensitive to this, or do you think this is an area which is missed by many reviewers?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Torque is the worst freeride / downhill bike I have ridden since the old style Giant Glory.

... it's biggest problem, flex. It's like the frame has a hinge in the middle, pump it in to a berm and you really feel it twisting and flexing. Holding a line through high speed, rough turns is impossible.

You seem to mention frame flex whenever someone mentions a Canyon bike, but I've rarely seen this mentioned by reviewers (other than yourself). e.g. the BikeRadar review of the Torque doesn't mention this at all (and in fact praises its handling!) Are you super-sensitive to this, or do you think this is an area which is missed by many reviewers?

Not ridden the Torque myself, but I can only agree with monkeys view on the strive for instance, not been impressed by a canyon I've sat on yet. Good spec poor frame... I rarely trust magazine reviews and look to users..
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Not ridden the Torque myself, but I can only agree with monkeys view on the strive for instance, not been impressed by a canyon I've sat on yet. Good spec poor frame... I rarely trust magazine reviews and look to users..
    Fair enough. I take the point about magazine reviews, but on the plus side they do get the opportunity to test side by side in a way which most riders rarely do.

I would have thought that given that journalists are generally quite lazy individuals, frame flex would be a "trope" that they'd refer to again and again in reviews of Canyon bikes if it was a persistent issue. You know the sort of thing "Canyon have a reputation for great quality components but often let themselves down with frame quality - and this XXXXX is no different / puts that right etc etc". Get's them some word count without having to say very much.

Whilst my family owns a Canyon, I'm no advocate for them - just like to hear some consistency across reviews, wherever they are sourced from, so I am genuinely curious as to how big a deal this issue is.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • I think an important thing to remember is there really is very actually bad bikes these days, (like cars) they all perform pretty well and the differences are relatively small in many ways. Its not a world ending issue, its just a difference and some people like a little flex for comfort. Horses for courses in many respects.
  • The Torque is the worst freeride / downhill bike I have ridden since the old style Giant Glory.

I really don't understand why they praise it's handling. Ten years ago it would have been up with the best but compared to modern downhill and freeride bikes it's just not good. There's a good reason why no one races them, even compared to the other bargain German bikes like YT and Rose the Torque's frame isn't good enough.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    What's the shape shifter like on the canyon strive, anyone got one on here?

I've seen you tube reviews and they seem positive but they will be biased to say its good if they get a free bike to try out.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Theres a thread on Pinkbike about the shapeshifter and a lot of people are having problems with it. Canyon replace the frames under warranty but there are people on their third or fourth frame.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/%3Fthreadid%3D168001&sa=U&ved=0CBoQFjAAahUKEwjWicrDqKTIAhVCQhQKHQ9JDT4&sig2=EKJMYtC2j4Sg7NWUg-dbDQ&usg=AFQjCNE6tpThq7DBcdekz30UutyF3kbuXA
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    My Nerve AM 7, went to Afan a few weeks ago with a mate, great fun!

20151005_105753_zpslxozyvdc.jpg