TDF 2011 stage 10 **Spoiler***

123457»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462

Why is it odd? Greipel didn't so much win the stage, as Mark lost it. We all know Mark is the fastest sprinter in the World. He lost it because he made a mistake.

I think most forumites are happy for Greipel though.

I can't see Cav losing today - barring mechanicals etc.

What mistake did Cavendish make? It looked to me like the fastest rider on the day won.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    andyp wrote:
    What mistake did Cavendish make? It looked to me like the fastest rider on the day won.

By his own admission going to early and not committing 100%. He said himself he rolled around the corner rather than going flat out.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    iainf72 wrote:
    Mind you, not as odd as Wiggins on twitter last night talking about how gracious Cavendish was in losing. That's like congratulating someone for not beating their wife or looking after their kids - it shouldn't deserve praise.
    But even if it grates, it's sometimes right to praise a wife beater for refraining or a neglectful parent for pulling their weight for once. Maybe Wiggins knows that Cav responds to praise, and life will be less of a sh*tstorm next year if he acts graciously in defeat.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

By his own admission going to early and not committing 100%. He said himself he rolled around the corner rather than going flat out.

How would you react if Greipel said "I came second because I didn't commit 100%"?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

How would you react if Greipel said "I came second because I didn't commit 100%"?

Reading Cav's comments, the equivalent would be for Griepel to say 'I came second because I left it too late before hitting 100%" - which wouldn't be a big deal, as it would just be an honest analysis of a misjudgement.

Surely admitting a tactical mistake is just as valid as saying "my legs just didn't have it today" - for either reason, someone beat you on the day, because they had more than you, physically or mentally.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd think he was making excuses for not being fast enough. 17 stage wins in the TdF give Cav a bit more credibility when he says he was physically capable of winning but messed his tactics up. Only a couple of days ago he judged his sprint perfectly to pip Greipel to the line and looked like he had something left in reserve still.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Cavendish ‘graciousness’ in defeat was lessened a lot in value by him then making ‘excuses’ (which is what his reasons sounded like) why he didn’t win.
    On the day, he and his team just weren’t good enough.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

I don't think what Greipel does is the issue. It's what Cav does. If he gives 100% then he wins. If he doesn't then someone else does. Yesterday it was Greipel.

Mark has said as much himself, I just happen to agree with him.

I hope it's clear I am not slating Greipel however, I've already posted saying I thought he came across well in the interview I saw, and that he deserved the win.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That is Vos. Giro winner meets Giro winner. Champions.

acoffTDF2011st10vos.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    knedlicky wrote:
    Cavendish ‘graciousness’ in defeat was lessened a lot in value by him then making ‘excuses’ (which is what his reasons sounded like) why he didn’t win.

Surely an 'excuse' is when you blame some factor other than yourself. He's blaming no-one but himself.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • One of the big things about yesterday's stage was that Cav was isolated and Griepel was on his wheel. Much easier for Greipel to find the power to come round than Cav to hold him off.

Think Cav's interview was through gritted teeth, but what he says makes sense. It's well known there's no love lost between the two so he's not suddenly going to say "I was beaten by a better sprinter". Cav is THE best sprinter in the world. Yesterday he / HTC weren't on top form and it was clever from Greipel to get on Cav's wheel.

Expect today to be different...
  • oh, also thought it was very clever sprinting from HTC at the intermediate take some points away from his rivals and control the sprint at a casual pace
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    RichN95 wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Surely an 'excuse' is when you blame some factor other than yourself. He's blaming no-one but himself.

+1 didn't sound like an excuse to me, more like Cavendish explaining why he thought he wasn't good enough, what he did wrong, on the day. That's not an excuse, it's offering an explanation for the outcome from his point of view.
  • TMR

acoffTDF2011st10vos.jpg

She's actually quite hot.

I think they should hook up and breed a master race of GT champions! :)
  • She's actually quite hot.

:shock: :?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

She's actually quite hot.

I think they should hook up and breed a master race of GT champions! :)

The problem is, what if the kids inherit his bike handling skills, rather than hers?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    anything interesting in the race??
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nevman wrote:
    anything interesting in the race??

No really, but this is the thread for yesterday's stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    “At the end of the stage I was ahead because I rode the way I normally do,” Voeckler explained. “It’s not surprising to see myself and Philippe Gilbert on the front because we both have an aggressive temperament and that’s how we race. He is going a notch better than I am but we are attackers. And there is no reason to respect all traditions – rather than let four guys who were just with me gain an advantage, I went with them. But then I didn’t have the legs to do any more. I certainly spent a lot of energy the other day.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    Perhaps all that this demonstrates is that the Chav is getting a little more PR savvy...