TDF 2011 stage 10 **Spoiler***

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Not looking nice at the start - Hail stones and showers..

angts.jpg
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hoogerland in the break anyone?

:wink:
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Gesink & Levi already involved in a crash
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    a crash already I am hearing on eurosport!
    cartoon.jpg
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's 2 days too soon for so many Frenchies in the break.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Aye, Cancellara involved, which made me smile wryly after ES had just played an interview with Shreklette saying Canc was key to keeping them out of trouble this last week.

Leipheimer delayed again...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • andyjr
    cav takes 7th in int sprint, rojas 9th, gilbert 11th
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Hell must have frozen over! Saur are in the break, about bloody time. Bleedin knocked out Geox....how many GT winners on Saur then?

I'm aware of the ASO's French team wildcard mechanism but it's still a pity, esp if Geox pull their sponsorship at the end of the year. Even if they rode like sheit at the Giro. And Gadret is reportedly on 25% of what Sastre is, and deliverd more value than the whole Geox team. Like the Queen, it's just nice to have them there and present.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Gonna be fun watching europecar trying to control the race ... ;)
    Well, they did the job didn't they? 6 in the break, the best placed more than 15 minutes down on GC.
    I suspect HTC will have more work to do than Europcar today.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Interesting that Cav is still going for the intermediate sprints. Personally i think that Gilbert must be the overwhelming favourite for the green jersey, due to his ability to get serious points on days when Cav will get none. If he can do that and place reasonably on the Cav friendly stages then I can't see how Cav can make up the points?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Interesting that Cav is still going for the intermediate sprints. Personally i think that Gilbert must be the overwhelming favourite for the green jersey, due to his ability to get serious points on days when Cav will get none. If he can do that and place reasonably on the Cav friendly stages then I can't see how Cav can make up the points?

No guarantee Gilbert (or anyone else) will finish this race. Also, he might run out of steam in week 3 allowing Cav to make up a lot of ground. I agree he's a strong favourite, but Cav needs to hang on in there. Anyway, he's a sprinter, what else has he got to do?!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Hell must have frozen over! Saur are in the break, about bloody time. Bleedin knocked out Geox....how many GT winners on Saur then?

I'm aware of the ASO's French team wildcard mechanism but it's still a pity, esp if Geox pull their sponsorship at the end of the year. Even if they rode like sheit at the Giro. And Gadret is reportedly on 25% of what Sastre is, and deliverd more value than the whole Geox team. Like the Queen, it's just nice to have them there and present.

I take it that you missed Delaplace of Saur in the main break on the stage to Cap Frehel then? :wink:
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • avoidingmyphd
    Gilbert's "advantage" is much smaller from now on that it was last week though. In the proper mountain stages, they will both score no points at the finish. And of the intermediate sprints on those days, only the one on stage 19 (which is in Bourg d'Oisans) is really nastily placed. Stage 14 intermediate is interesting - very early on, but after a cat 2 climb. Cav can still be in the mix for the rest of the intermediates, and he still has 4 more stage win possibilities ahead whereas Gilbert doesn't really have any. Evans might still be in the mix for green by the end of the race.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    LangerDan wrote:

I take it that you missed Delaplace of Saur in the main break on the stage to Cap Frehel then? :wink:
    Ah yes I did miss that one, sorry. Still not a very "visible" team from what we've seen so far. They're probably the only team with a full compliment of riders they've been so quiet.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Hoogerland "I am not a hero, i feel more like a crash test dummy".

Breakaway still at 3 mins.

Rain and high winds expected at finish.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

The stages where Gilbert can win and Cav can't are worth 20 points to the winner (except stage 16 which is worth 30). These stages will also most likely attract breakaways. The ones Cav can win are worth 45 points and Gilbert is unlikely to come higher in 10th in any of them (10th = 12 points).

Cav has four stages to target - 10,11,15 and 21. If he wins them all, he'll get 180 points, which means Gilbert has to find 120 points over Cav from somewhere. If Cav comes second in all four or wins three, Gilbert still needs to find 70-80 points over Cav.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I really like Gilbert as a rider, and I think we can all agree he's had an amazing season so far, however I want Cav to win the jersey and hope he does.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Sky seem to making a big deal out of the fact that the driver of the car that hit Flecha and Hoogerland didnt apologise to Flecha... Apparently an apology was given to Hoogerland...

well... Brailsford was all over the TV on about considering legal options etc, so what do they expect?
    www.dotcycling.com
  • inkyfingers
    emadden wrote:
    Sky seem to making a big deal out of the fact that the driver of the car that hit Flecha and Hoogerland didnt apologise to Flecha... Apparently an apology was given to Hoogerland...

well... Brailsford was all over the TV on about considering legal options etc, so what do they expect?

If they haven't apologised then that's shameful.

Sky sueing would set a dangerous precident, but can you really blame them? If that happened at any other time or in any other job then it would go straight to the lawyers. A few years ago one of our drivers was hit by a badly driven forklift truck while making a delivery, we quite rightly sued them. If a car side swiped me out on the road like that I would go straight to the police and if I was injured i'd seriously considering sueing for damages, wouldn't you?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    emadden wrote:

What do they expect? An apology at the very least.

Why not consider legal options?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    It's interesting that on Eurosport they were making a big deal about this lack of apology, but when they spoke to Sean Yates he said he wasn't certain if they'd had an apology or not, but he hadn't heard about it. He didn't sound anywhere near as bothered as the rumours seem to suggest.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    whats happening,whos away??
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • andyjr
    5 random frenchmen & an italian are ~ 2.30 ahead
  • inkyfingers
    nevman wrote:
    whats happening,whos away??

Doesn't matter really, they'll get caught whenever HTC etc decide they want to.
  • avoidingmyphd
    Sky sueing would set a dangerous precident
    Why? There's no precedents in French law, but that's a pedantic point. More seriously, why would it be dangerous to establish that if a media car drives dangerously into cyclists in the tour de france, the driver will be held liable for paying for any damage he causes?
    Even if you disagree with the morality of such a position, the situation might never happen again, and it would be less likely to with such a precedent in place.
    What's the danger? (I can see one: Sky sue and lose and as a result drivers are emboldened to drive riders off the road in future because they know it won't cost them anything. That isn't what you meant though, I don't think)
  • emadden
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    emadden wrote:

What do they expect? An apology at the very least.

Why not consider legal options?

No, I totally agree they should get an apology - but they wont get an apology if they bang on about legal action, thats my point.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    If I had driven into a cyclist and they were pissed off I hadn't apologised and were contemplating suing, I think getting an apology in sharpish would be at the top of my to-do list.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • emadden
    Graeme_S wrote:
    It's interesting that on Eurosport they were making a big deal about this lack of apology, but when they spoke to Sean Yates he said he wasn't certain if they'd had an apology or not, but he hadn't heard about it. He didn't sound anywhere near as bothered as the rumours seem to suggest.

Big segment on news this morning out here in Asia with Brailsford on about legal action.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • andyjr
    Legal action or not, if there hasn't been an apology, it's just shameful
  • emadden
    Well... as you know... many insurance policies stipulate that you never admit fault at the scene of an accident!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It occurred to me that the peloton should all climb off, wander into the nearest field and rearrange their bicycles into the shape of a giant tractor. Why should farmers have all the fun?