TDF 2011 stage 10 **Spoiler***

Comments

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    You can apologise without legally admitting fault. And it's on film anyway...
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    afx237vi wrote:
    It occurred to me that the peloton should all climb off, wander into the nearest field and rearrange their bicycles into the shape of a giant tractor. Why should farmers have all the fun?

Brilliant :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sky sueing would set a dangerous precident
    Why? There's no precedents in French law, but that's a pedantic point. More seriously, why would it be dangerous to establish that if a media car drives dangerously into cyclists in the tour de france, the driver will be held liable for paying for any damage he causes?
    Even if you disagree with the morality of such a position, the situation might never happen again, and it would be less likely to with such a precedent in place.
    What's the danger? (I can see one: Sky sue and lose and as a result drivers are emboldened to drive riders off the road in future because they know it won't cost them anything. That isn't what you meant though, I don't think)

You missed my point. I obviously have no knowledge of French law but I think that Sky are well within their rights to sue and as far as I can see it would be an open and shut case.

The danger of the precident is that a successful case would mean that insurance premiums for teams and for race organisers would drastically increase with the inevitable consequences.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • emadden
    AidanR wrote:

Not according to most insurance policies you cant...
    www.dotcycling.com
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    emadden wrote:
    No, I totally agree they should get an apology - but they wont get an apology if they bang on about legal action, thats my point.

Why? That makes no sense. The individual and company concerned should apologise regardless of what SKY do. You cannot just drive like a tw@t and run two riders off the road without saying sorry FFS! It's the decent, human thing to do.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Did Hoogerland start the stage?
  • yes
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Wow
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RowCycle wrote:

Yeah. He's still going as far I know.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    emadden wrote:
    AidanR wrote:

Not according to most insurance policies you cant...

Apologising and admitting liability are two different things. An insurance company cannot prevent you from doing either - they'd just rather you didn't.

In this case it's as moot a point as it could possibly be - it was shown on live TV to millions of people - not like they can argue their way out of it!
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    RowCycle wrote:

Yeah. He's still going as far I know.

Chapeau TBH. I'm in awe.
  • emadden
    emadden wrote:
    No, I totally agree they should get an apology - but they wont get an apology if they bang on about legal action, thats my point.

Why? That makes no sense. The individual and company concerned should apologise regardless of what SKY do. You cannot just drive like a tw@t and run two riders off the road without saying sorry FFS! It's the decent, human thing to do.

Ok here's my point again: (1) I agree that an apology would be the decent thing to do (2) Sky going on about legal action is likely to prevent the driver from apologising because (3) if they say sorry that could (a) prejudice their legal defence and (b) nullify their insurance policy.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    Gappy Gadret dropped
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    That's a nice little hill, no comedy gradient, just a winding power climb.
  • TMR
    emadden wrote:
    Ok here's my point again: (1) I agree that an apology would be the decent thing to do (2) Sky going on about legal action is likely to prevent the driver from apologising because (3) if they say sorry that could (a) prejudice their legal defence and (b) nullify their insurance policy.

You don't need to restate your point, I understood it the first time. With respect however, I don't agree with your views about the apology. People apologise after TAs every day. People admit liability after TAs every day. It makes no difference to the insurance companies or the outcomes. Liability is decided on the basis of any Police report, or for minor accidents, on the information supplied by those involved.

An apology doesn't prejudice their defence in any way. If anything, showing remorse after an accident which was your fault wholly or partially would doubtless be looked upon favourably by the judiciary.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    emadden wrote:
    Gappy Gadret dropped

...on a 4th cat.

Tough Giro.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Dangerous times for Cavendish as Omega really put the pressure on over the last climb.
  • TMR
    Now, back to the race:

How is Cav doing? How far from the Intermediate sprint?
  • afx237vi
    Cav might not get over this hill, but it's still a long way to the finish.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Team Sky are there. Tipping swift or EBH today.

EDIT: if HTC can't pull the gap back on descents or distance remaining.
  • milton50
    This is going to get dangerous on the descent.
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Gilbert & tommy V trying to go off the front
  • afx237vi
    Voeckler, Gilbert, Devenyns and Gallopin... T Mart playing spoiler.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Fair play to Gadret - he took a big step forward at Giro. Might have been better for him to take TDF off and target the Vuelta but he has pitched up here anyway.

Good lad.
  • TMR
    Milton50 wrote:
    Dangerous times for Cavendish as Omega really put the pressure on over the last climb.

You read my mind! Hang on Cav! *crosses fingers*

He can sit up after that and stroll in with the last group after the sprint.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    PS for those not watching. Gilbert and Voekler have gone off the front with a few riders. Gilbert on the front really hammering it over the top of the cat 4, trying to distance from the sprinters I think. Fair play, really pushing that chance opening.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's turned into the Tour of Flanders.
  • afx237vi
    FFS, why is Devenyns attacking?
  • milton50
    The front five only have 14 seconds so it should come back together you would think.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    well if this comes back gilbert will be fried for the sprint