2012 Transfers - Fact and Rumour

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    RichN95 wrote:
    cycling news transfer story has Adam Blyth leaving omega but doesn't say where he is going? As he is British should we hazard guess that he is Skybound?

is there still a squad size limit?

He's going to BMC. I think that's more or less been confirmed.

This morning it had him going from Omega Pharma to Omega Pharma. But that was early, No mention of him now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    cycling news transfer story has Adam Blyth leaving omega but doesn't say where he is going? As he is British should we hazard guess that he is Skybound?

is there still a squad size limit?

I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe on here) that he is supposedly moving to BMC. As he appears to be close to Gilbert it seems to be a fact people have been using as part-proof that Gilbert would be moving to BMC too.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, I'd heard BMC too and Blythe seems to be Gilbert's favourite rider, with the Belgian looking out for him. Now it seems BMC want Gilbert and he wants to join too but he has another year on his contract with Omega Pharma / Lotto.
  • Tony Gallopin (Cofidis) will ride for Radio Shack in 2012. Gallopin is a decent sprinter and a former TT U23 French champion. The 23-year-old from Essonne (South West of Paris), who just completed his first Tour, is Alain Gallopin's nephew.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tusher wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    Matt Rendell tweeting Omega Pharma = Quickstep, HTC/Highroad = Vacansoleil

So Kenny VH could be part of Cavs leadout.

Only in the stages before they hit the mountains. Or hills.

I'm a big Kenny fan, but, as Prudhomme said, he's the worst climber in the pro-peloton.

Has Kenny moved from Skil to Vaconsoleil?

:?:
  • Tusher wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    Matt Rendell tweeting Omega Pharma = Quickstep, HTC/Highroad = Vacansoleil

So Kenny VH could be part of Cavs leadout.

Only in the stages before they hit the mountains. Or hills.

I'm a big Kenny fan, but, as Prudhomme said, he's the worst climber in the pro-peloton.

Has Kenny moved from Skil to Vaconsoleil?

:?:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kenny-v ... acansoleil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bobridge and Meyer (x2) have signed for GreenEdge. No surprise there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 'Homesick' Rémy Di Gregorio (Astana) going back to France, signing for Cofidis.

Michal Kwiatkowski, 21, up-and-coming cobbled classics contender from Poland leaves Radio Shack to join Quick Step.
  • Sky's newest signing :lol::lol::wink:
    Armstrong%20sky.jpg
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • In France, Cofidis manager Eric Boyer isn't having the time of his life right now. His bosses are furious he couldn't get to sign the highly marketable Sylvain Chavanel, especially since Cofidis were allegedly putting far more money on the table than Quick Step. Then Boyer opened L'Equipe one morning and learned that Tony Gallopin would ride for Radio Shack in 2012. The manager finds it rather hard to swallow:
    "That's a huge disappointment. When we hired Gallopin two years ago, we found he had a problem with his iliac artery. We nursed him, we helped him, we were patient with him and now he just had one good Tour with us and he's leaving... I do know family ties played a role in this [Tony Gallopin's uncle is one of the DS at the Shack] but then I don't get it, how can anyone still believe what Bruyneel says? There are dreams and there is reality. Just hope Tony Gallopin's dream isn't going to turn into a nightmare..."
    I guess it's all sour grapes, I mean who on Earth could seriously picture Bruyneel telling lies?

Just to make matters worse one of Cofidis's brightest prospects, Jens Keukeleire, a 20-year-old Belgian tipped by some as a future prince of sprint is talking with Green Edge right now -and Boyer is pretty sure they aren't talking about the weather. Keukeleire promised he'd stay with Cofidis in June but he's obviously changed his mind.

On the plus side, Eric Boyer's got Rein Taaramae, right? And Taaramae showcased a great deal of potential at this year's Tour, right.? Trouble is the Estonian thinks big and, vastly unimpressed by the news of Di Gregorio signing, he has apparently threatened Boyer to leave Cofidis if the manager can't provide him with a decent set of helpers for the 2012 Tour. Eric Boyer sighs. As we say in French, Quand ça veut pas...
  • TRbike
    TRbike Posts: 27
    Stuart O'Grady to Green Edge
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    stagiare Tobias Ludvigsson to Skill-Shimano next year after good Vuelta a Burgos
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Apologies if I have missed it - has it been confirmed that Cav is going to Sky?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    will be interesting to see what changes are made at Sky if Cav arrives there. Wonder if Russ Downing will be cut adrift to make room? And Hunt too?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Dave_1 wrote:
    will be interesting to see what changes are made at Sky if Cav arrives there. Wonder if Russ Downing will be cut adrift to make room? And Hunt too?

It will be a terrible shame if they do. Downing has always struck me as a very gutsy rider who has tried to make the most of the opportunity presented to him. It must be awful for those guys to be kept dangling on a string (assuming that they haven't already been told which way the axe will fall...if at all)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:

It will be a terrible shame if they do. Downing has always struck me as a very gutsy rider who has tried to make the most of the opportunity presented to him. It must be awful for those guys to be kept dangling on a string (assuming that they haven't already been told which way the axe will fall...if at all)

he sounded unsure the other day....will be a wrong decision if they don't keep him.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

he sounded unsure the other day....will be a wrong decision if they don't keep him.

I agree, but it might come down to maximum squad size (which I believe is 30 for a World Tour team). If you were at your limit and had the choice between signing Renshaw or Eisel or keeping Downing it would be a no brainer sadly.

I was really impressed with Russ last year, however his crash at the Giro seemed to hit him hard this year (not surprisingly given his injuries). Hopefully he'll get the chance to pick up a win before the end of the season. I'm sure other teams would be interested in him regardless of what sky do, he's a gutsy rider who can climb and bit and sprint, but can also be a really good team helper.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • (L'Equipe) John Degenkolb signing for Skil... A great find for this team aiming for World Tour status
  • FJS
    (L'Equipe) John Degenkolb signing for Skil... A great find for this team aiming for World Tour status
    Have to say that is a surprise. You'd assume he would have had his pick of world tour teams. And they already have Kittel. Degenkolb is a huge talent, but his few world tour points won't give them world tour status. Unless they've secured Martin as well......
  • Dunno, last time I heard about Tony Martin on the continental grapevine, it was either Saxo Bank or... GreenEdge for him.

You're right, Degenkolb and Kittel aren't enough to grant you a UCI world tour licence but then both certainly look like the future of the sport.
  • Italian champion Giovanni Visconti signs for Movistar.

And here's a persistent rumour around the Italian scene: Nibali riding for Astana in 2012.
  • FJS wrote:
    (L'Equipe) John Degenkolb signing for Skil... A great find for this team aiming for World Tour status
    Have to say that is a surprise. You'd assume he would have had his pick of world tour teams. And they already have Kittel. Degenkolb is a huge talent, but his few world tour points won't give them world tour status. Unless they've secured Martin as well......

Well, you got that right: according to L'Equipe Skil are now trying all they can to sign Tony Martin.
  • FJS
    That would be a nice lead-out train: Martin - Veelers - Kluge - Degenkolb - Kittel
  • Apparently Renshaw has been talking with Rabobank:

Click Here
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • barney96
    barney96 Posts: 157
    Thor Hushovd to BMC.... official
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    barney96 wrote:

Thats made my day! :)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    barney96 wrote:

That's two old gippers on 3 year deals now. Very optimistic management & lucky riders..

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Henderson to Lotto, according to his own rapidly deleted tweet
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    calvjones wrote:
    barney96 wrote:

That's two old gippers on 3 year deals now. Very optimistic management & lucky riders..

I guess after winning the TdF you can afford to be optimistic!
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    barney96 wrote:

Does that kind of put the mockers on Gilbert going there, do we think? After all, Hushovd says he "just wants to win Paris Roubaix" and Gilbert wants to win "all the classics"... are they a bit too similar to flourish in the same team?
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."