2012 Transfers - Fact and Rumour

Comments

• incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Sky have already talked about some olympian's possibly doing the Giro instead of the Tour next year. Perhaps we'll see a GC squad going to the Giro, and a HTC leadout + outside GC bet squad at the Tour.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    From what I've observed of EBH on the Tour (condemned by convalescence to watch every stage - not really, I have to overrule the kids) he is a long way from being a top bunch sprinter. He loses his lead-out wheel much too easily, he lacks the explosive punch of a Cav or Thor. Also yesterday's finish showed a serious lack of sprinting art (even if Thor would probably have done him anyway without his little mistake). Being 2 or 3 in Cav's train for a year would teach him a lot about the business. Only question is whether he or Geraint should be pilot (I favour GT because his track experience is more use in finding the right path).
    How long is Uran's contract with Sky? He has been making a name for himself on the Tour this year, but I'm not sure that he's done a lot with the team as such. GT has made much more of an impression as a worker both on the road and in the finishes.
    What Sky seem to me to lack is a capable pure climber (I imagine that it is Uran's role but he seems to be too defensive, not capable of taking the initiative, even when he's being attacked by the other contenders for his classification). To try for a GC without solving this position is to my mind a bit brainless.
  • mz__jo
    I forgot about Flecha, not too present after his accident. Will he still be with Sky next year?
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    mz__jo wrote:
    Being 2 or 3 in Cav's train for a year would teach him a lot about the business.

I thought one of the reasons he left HTC was because he'd already been doing that. Even if it could realistically benefit him, I can see why he'd perceive it to be a backwards step.
  • mz__jo
    Perhaps today's stage should change my assessment of EBH. Perhaps he should look to developing his other qualities (which still gives him a role in Cav's train whether he likes it or not, unless he is in the other squad).
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    mz__jo wrote:
    What Sky seem to me to lack is a capable pure climber (I imagine that it is Uran's role but he seems to be too defensive, not capable of taking the initiative, even when he's being attacked by the other contenders for his classification). To try for a GC without solving this position is to my mind a bit brainless.

From what I've read Uran is possibly too keen to take the initiative, so they have been telling him to ride more conservatively. I think the quote from Sean Yates a few days ago was that they told him to follow on the wheel of Basso.

Personally I think Uran has huge potential. Another quote I saw from the Sky publicity machine was saying how Uran's training was completely unstructured and unscientific before this year. They now have him following a proper schedule, which he apparently loves and seems to be paying dividends.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    mz__jo wrote:
    Perhaps today's stage should change my assessment of EBH. Perhaps he should look to developing his other qualities (which still gives him a role in Cav's train whether he likes it or not, unless he is in the other squad).

But EBH was never going to have a great deal to do with Cav...his results and evident potential ...put him along way away from the Renshaws of this world. He is looking atclassics, stage races and eventially to my mind GC on GT's.

Wiggins said that EBH is the future of cycling, well your not that if you are just helping cav.
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    josame wrote:
    But EBH was never going to have a great deal to do with Cav...his results and evident potential ...put him along way away from the Renshaws of this world. He is looking atclassics, stage races and eventially to my mind GC on GT's.

Wiggins said that EBH is the future of cycling, well your not that if you are just helping cav.

My guess is that Sky's Tour team (assuming Cav arriving) for next year will be:

Wiggins
    Uran
    EBH
    Thomas
    Cavendish

Plus
    Lead out man (Renshaw?)
    Bunch puller (Stannard?)
    Two all rounders (Eisel? Siutsou? Rogers? Cummings? Henao?)

(I'm completely ignoring the Olympics here)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    I think Sky have come a very long way in their first 18 months. I would be very surprised if Flecha moved teams - he seems to have been reinvigorated since joining the team. Best couple of classics seasons ever for him? I think so, could be wrong.

G and EBH have been all over this Tour like a rash; G just gets better and better after his fantastic season in the national jersey. EBH seems to have found his feet after that climb support Wiggins at the Dauphine.

Whilst. yes I would love to have seen what Wiggins would have done this year I really feel that losing their GC contender has paid the team dividends. They have been attacking when and wherever possible - not just G and EBH but also Uran, Flecha (we would have seen a lot more of him methinks if France Tv hadn't spoilt the party) and Xandio.

Who might move on - some of the aussies must surely be tempted by Greenedge, although Michael Rogers might be a little nervous after the Pegasus debacle.

I think the team as a whole is in a good place, they are getting high profile wins, as well as some lesser ones. Keep it up
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Klöden to Quick Step.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    csp wrote:
    Klöden to Quick Step.

No! Say it isn't so!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Hushovd to BMC
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    So that'll be Hushovd, Gilbert and Evans riding for BMC next year. :shock:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    iainf72 wrote:
    Hushovd to BMC

Which category does that one fall into Iain, fact or rumour ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    pat1cp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Hushovd to BMC

Fact-ish I think

http://www.tv2.no/sport/sykkel/hushovd- ... 46044.html
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    iainf72 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Hushovd to BMC

Fact-ish I think

http://www.tv2.no/sport/sykkel/hushovd- ... 46044.html

bmc are getting some decent riders now.. Looks like Gilbert and BMC is a done deal

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-transfe ... 17699.html
    cartoon.jpg
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    They certainly seem to be going for "Uber squad" status.

Apparently they're looking to recruit some help for Cuddles in the mountains to help defend his title, would Lofkvist be on their list ?
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    csp wrote:
    Klöden to Quick Step.

This and his 'musings' on twitter really makes me think he's one spoke short of a tt wheel...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    skylla wrote:
    csp wrote:
    Klöden to Quick Step.

This and his 'musings' on twitter really makes me think he's one spoke short of a tt wheel...

Klodi is fab value on Twitter. Clearly The Shack have no budget for media training!

Strava is not Zen.
  • skylla
    calvjones wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    csp wrote:
    Klöden to Quick Step.

Klodi is fab value on Twitter. Clearly The Shack have no budget for media training!

You're right, i was being harsh. He does make me giggle after having deciphered what he's trying to say!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    So OmegaPharma and Vacansoleil merger about to be announced? Which riders will move with Omega? The Germans perhaps? Or just more cash for an outside transfer?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    After much speculation, where I was linked with a move to many teams (including BMC and GreenEdge) I can confirm that I have signed on for a 17th season with Cardiff & UWIC Hockey Club
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • skylla
    RichN95 wrote:
    After much speculation, where I was linked with a move to many teams (including BMC and GreenEdge) I can confirm that I have signed on for a 17th season with Cardiff & UWIC Hockey Club

I am sorry to hear you've chosen money over fame
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    movo.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    He seems to be wearing a Caisse D'espargne jacket there too, lightweight.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, good eye.

Tomorrow is 1st day news can be made officially public regarding transfers.

Daniel Teklehaimanot, superb African rider, is linked with GreenEdge. I dont want him to go there but would prefer that than nothing. Europcar is interested also.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Hope Teklehairmanot goes to Europcar.

My memory may be faulty, but wasn't Siutsou a 6/10 rider? Would Sky be interested?

wait.................I think I can answer my own question. G was a 7/10. Or was he a 6 as well?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    OK... it's 1st August in Switzerland now, so I guess we can expect official announcements to start appearing. :D
  • skylla
    Thomas Dekker to Chipotle Development Team (Garmin-Cervelo)