2012 Transfers - Fact and Rumour

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tend to agree with shiny.

Play poker with HTC.

The likelihood is a non-HTC team won't win if the break does get caught, so why not risk a small risk of the break staying away?
  • Cogidubnus wrote:
    Gilbert and Thor going to .mc it seems

who is .MC?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Geraint Thomas to Garmin?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:

Ha. Garmin are amazing, who can't like them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Ha. Garmin are amazing, who can't like them.

Not saying it's happening for sure, but Vaughters is interested and Sky only signed him for 2 years. If Cavendish is on the way, and you had aspirations of your own, you'd bail out.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    how's cav coming going to change G's roll. G is surely a classic's legend in the making
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Gilbert and Thor going to .mc it seems

who is .MC?

BMC

It seems my fingers are so fat that when I press "B" I end up with "." :(
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Boardman was saying G will be thinking about his future, and there' worse teams for him to go to.

They're set up for the Classics and will be looking for a leader in a few years
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    Thomas should stick with Sky, he'll be top dog in the cobbled classics next season, which won't be the case at Garmin.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    He's not going to leave Sky in an Olympic year.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    Thomas should stick with Sky, he'll be top dog in the cobbled classics next season, which won't be the case at Garmin.

What about when EBH "fulfils his potential"?

Oh yeah, he'll be doing that at Leopard.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    how's cav coming going to change G's roll. G is surely a classic's legend in the making

G says on twitter he's staying at Sky - However if you think Cav coming to Sky isn't going to change a hell of a lot, you've got the blinkers on, there will be no focus on the GC as promised, and G although looking like a good classics man, could be one hell of a GC contender for the future.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

What, as Cancellara's bitch?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840

G says on twitter he's staying at Sky - However if you think Cav coming to Sky isn't going to change a hell of a lot, you've got the blinkers on, there will be no focus on the GC as promised, and G although looking like a good classics man, could be one hell of a GC contender for the future.

can't see it mate. He'll be more of pip type of climber no mtn goat
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

But there's never been a focus on GC. Just a focus on British riders, whoever they may be.

There's a book called The Sky's the Limit by Richard Moore about Team Sky from conception to the end of year one. Early in the book there's a conversation with Brailsford at the 2007 Tour. He's saying that he believes that a British team is a possibility and he singles out two people - Thomas and Cavendish. They've been the plan since day 1.

(As an aside, the book also shows why James Murdoch's problems won't impact on the team. Jeremy Darroch is the main player behind the team, not Murdoch).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

How well do you think Cancellara would do in Paris-Roubaix with an injured achilles?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:

But there's never been a focus on GC. Just a focus on British riders, whoever they may be.

There's a book called The Sky's the Limit by Richard Moore about Team Sky from conception to the end of year one. Early in the book there's a conversation with Brailsford at the 2007 Tour. He's saying that he believes that a British team is a possibility and he singles out two people - Thomas and Cavendish. They've been the plan since day 1.

(As an aside, the book also shows why James Murdoch's problems won't impact on the team. Jeremy Darroch is the main player behind the team, not Murdoch).

If thats the case, i think its a shame, we have already got the best sprinter in the world, as a Brit, i would love to see a top class British climber and GC contender!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    Turfle wrote:
    How well do you think Cancellara would do in Paris-Roubaix with an injured achilles?

Better than EBH.
  • iainf72
    smithy21 wrote:

Won't he?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-to-fly-skys-coop
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cogidubnus wrote:

From a year ago: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -City.html

Wayne Rooney: "Yes, I'd join Manchester City!"

He didn't join Man City. But he did get a £4m pay rise.

Unwavering loyalty isn't beneficial to getting a good contract.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Yup being a football fan I know all about "loyalty"

I'd like him to stay but if he gets team leader status somewhere then I wouldnt blame him
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Personally I think that Thomas should think twice about leaving Sky, even if Cavendish does join.

There are lots of races he can target than Cav won't be interested in and still do some lead out work in other races (which he seems happy enough to do). Plus Sky will give him the flexibility to focus on the track if he wants to. It's all very well other teams saying that they will let him ride on the track as well, but when the time comes who is to say they won't change their mind?

I think Garmin would be a mistake, unless they offload some of their classics team. With Hushovd, Haussler, Farrar and now Van Summeren all fighting for leadership it's going to be hard to get opportunities, it was obvious to all that Garmin's classics team was not a happy place to be this season.

I think that this is all about negotiating a nice new contract, he knows which side his bread is buttered.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thenumber8
    thenumber8 Posts: 68
    Apparently G has resigned for 3 years.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Would find it very hard to see him leave Sky. Clearly looking to get the best possible contract available which is fair play to him. I would have thought Cav joining would be of benifit to G. He'll stand more stand of of being in the wins. The work his doing for EBH knowing that their is a small chance of the stage win as oppose to driving on the front for Cav who has far more stand.... seems like a no brainer.

Like when you see the exodus from HTC over the past few years. I really doubt that is because people don't want to work for Cav. It's more they have a chance to be better paid elsewhere. How many ex HTC riders have gone to another team to be paid less then what they got at HTC?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    iainf72 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Won't he?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-to-fly-skys-coop

No, he won't. Signed for another 3 years according to the Team Sky website. Not sure how that works as I thought the Sky team deal only runs until 2013- although of course they do also own the team.
  • iainf72
    rebs wrote:

Like when you see the exodus from HTC over the past few years. I really doubt that is because people don't want to work for Cav.

A few people did leave saying they didn't want to be leadout monkeys. Probably for more money too.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Good to know he signed another contract. Would have been very surprised if he would have left because of Cav given how good mates they are. Also he is a really key member of the team if you ask me, a personality everyone seems to like having there and a super talent for the future.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    iainf72 wrote:
    A few people did leave saying they didn't want to be leadout monkeys. Probably for more money too.

Wiggins being the most obvious example.