2012 Transfers - Fact and Rumour

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Andy Fenn to Omega-Pharma
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    Luke Rowe will join Sky next season as a neo-pro.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Fenn and Rowe both end up with the right team for them, I think.
  • Goss to GreenEDGE officially.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salvatore Puccio (u23 RVV winner) confirmed by Sky.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Sky must be having a massive clear out this season.
  • andyp
    There's a fair bit of dead wood to be cleared though, no?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Definately - will be interesting to see who the management think it is though.
  • Good to see Sky investing in more young talent.

Arvesen is retiring, Gerrans and Pauwels are confirmed leavers I believe, Henderson also looking likely to leave. There is a fine line between who is deadwood and who is just a good but not flashy domestique - Cioni and Possoni fall into this camp I guess. plus maybe Carllstrom,Nordhaug, Barry and Hunt. All teams need workers though, can't all be winners. i guess losing the oldest would make the most sense but the experience of guys like Hunt and Barry is useful.

Others such as Rogers, Lee-Augustyn haven't done much but have been suffering with illness and injury so maybe worth more time. Lofkvist is staying but has a hell of a lot to prove.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Why on earth are Sky holding on to Lofkvist?
  • iainf72
    Tusher wrote:

Because he's purdy
  • Tusher wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken a pay cut for next year. he hasn't come remotely close to fulfilling the promise he showed at Columbia.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I think this also comes down to what we as fans see in highlights and final hours shows and the difference out there on the road. He must do good numbers plus if you see a full stage, he is always on the front with people like Possoni pulling back breaks etc. I think he must be doing the job they are asking of him.
  • I think this also comes down to what we as fans see in highlights and final hours shows and the difference out there on the road. He must do good numbers plus if you see a full stage, he is always on the front with people like Possoni pulling back breaks etc. I think he must be doing the job they are asking of him.

I agree in principle, but Lofkvist was not signed to be a domestique, he was signed as a leader (at least in certain races). He was leader at The Vuelta last year and got dropped in the opening TTT (Sky seem to have an issue with Vuelta TTTs...) and he was leader in the Giro this year and I can honestly only remember seeing him in the race once (on a stage with a short climb to the finish when he suddenly hit the front with Scarponi before deciding he didn't fancy it and melting back into the pack.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Because he's purdy

But why keep him when Gerdemann is available?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Because he's purdy

Gerdemann doesn't put out.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Because he's purdy

Gerdemann doesn't put out.

Maybe not, but at least Gerdemann has a couple of wins in the last two years.
  • Turfle
    I think people are slightly harsh on Lofkvist. Undoubtedly he hasn't developed into what they hoped, but he's still been a solid rider.

Last year he did great in the Tour as last man for Brad. He managed 17th overall and that included clearly waiting for Brad on a couple of stages.

He was also 12th overall at the TdS, where he climbed really well, but (a common theme that will reoccur) his TT let him down.

This year stated well with 6th overall at the Ruta Del Sol, and then a top 10 overall at the Tirreno. His TT again let him down when he had a shot at the overall win.

Then came the Giro. He was very ill in the second week, but still you'd expect better than 21st overall. After the Giro he has ridden entirely as a domestique,

Giro aside I don't know that he's been THAT bad. His TT has clearly taken a step backwards which is a worry.
  • Richie Porte confirmed by Team Sky
  • RichN95.
    Sky are announcing there new signings like some sort of September advent calendar. Every morning you open the Twitter window and see an new one. I suppose Cav will on the 24th then.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    robert-sb wrote:
    Richie Porte confirmed by Team Sky
    Great signing: http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 34,00.html
  • I wouldn't dispute that he is a great rider, but is it a great signing ? Cards on the table, I do root for Team Sky, however, they also appear to be behaving a bit like Man Utd (or BMC !) and buying up everybody they can afford.

I can't believe Dave Brailsford hasn't got a plan for fitting them into a team but how on earth do you keep Wiggins, Thomas, Boassen Hagen, Cavendish, Eisel, Porte, Flecha, Uran, Henao all happy - there is 9 already there, all of whom might reasonably expect to go to the TdF next year !
  • andyp
    He's a great signing if they got him on wages to reflect his 2011 performances, rather than his 2010 performances.
  • Turfle
    I see Porte's future:

definite: elite TT rider
    quite likely: elite TT, challenge in one week races
    with some luck: challenge in one day hilly races
    unlikely but you never know: Grand Tour GC rider
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    He's a great signing if they got him on wages to reflect his 2011 performances, rather than his 2010 performances.

^^^
    this.
  • Turfle
    Surely he's a great signing if he repeats his 2010 form, regardless of which year they base his wages on.
  • andyp
    The key point being 'if'.
  • iainf72
    He strikes me as the kind of guy who needs a Saiz type character (not the dodgy blood doping part) - Serious discipline etc.

The difference in performance between 2010 and 11 is vast.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    iainf72 wrote:
    He strikes me as the kind of guy who needs a Saiz type character (not the dodgy blood doping part) - Serious discipline etc.

But this season wasn't he riding more for Bertie?

He was talikng with Garmin guys at last years ToB. They were speaking about him moving on then.

I think the Sky contract was there then and a lot of this year has been can't be arsed. I hope that maybe the case.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

Someone like Bobby Julich perhaps, who coached him in 2010 but not in 2011 and will again in 2012.

Edit: Blimey! This transfer just got a mention in the Radio 5 sports bulletin. Clearly a slow news day.