TdSuisse *SPOILER*

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    About time for him to show off the rainbow jersey. Bodes well for him fighting for green at the tour
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    I quite like Carlton, he is especially good at the very end of stages building to a babbling crescendo! I much prefer him to eh, Brian, eh, Smith, eh, cant string, eh a sentence together, eh without eh, eh's.

Honestly, I got bored counting at 40 odd eh's within 30 minutes, him and Sean 'certainly' Kelly are the worst. Also, ever noticed how non committal King Kelly is when his sidekick mentions folk being on the juice?

Best commentators, big Maggy and the Duffer, pure waffling quality.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Supergoose wrote:
    I quite like Carlton, he is especially good at the very end of stages building to a babbling crescendo! I much prefer him to eh, Brian, eh, Smith, eh, cant string, eh a sentence together, eh without eh, eh's.

Honestly, I got bored counting at 40 odd eh's within 30 minutes, him and Sean 'certainly' Kelly are the worst. Also, ever noticed how non committal King Kelly is when his sidekick mentions folk being on the juice?

Best commentators, big Maggy and the Duffer, pure waffling quality.

Brian S is pretty good I reckon.

Btw, looking at that Hushovd pic - how did he manage to turn on the smugness so quickly? Normally there's that moment of celebration/jubilation when crossing the line, but he goes straight to smug. :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I think he is trying to say "yes, you really are seeing this - me winning a race in the rainbow jersey" :wink:

What happended to Sky? They looked to be one of the main teams trying to pull the break back along with Omega and had 3 possible contenders but by the finish they only had one or two riders in the front group and they were way down :? Ruined my PTP as I had Swift :evil:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Bodes well for him fighting for green at the tour
    The change in the TdF points system, with the intermediate sprint being more valuable, might mean he doesn't so much need to fight the sprinters hard for green, rather the competitive all-rounders.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cavendish is riding! Didn't know until I see a photo with:

The pace on the lumpy circuit with a slight (2%) uphill finish was too much for Mark Cavendish (HTC-Highroad)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    The stage info the Tour de Suisse has put out there is hopeless - anyone got details on the last few kms?

Looks like a slight rise to the finish again today, but maybe not quite as long as yesterday. Guess Cav might have been saving himself for today.

Looking forward to Malbum tomorrow - that climb is fierce.
  • Pross
    Cavendish is riding! Didn't know until I see a photo with:

The pace on the lumpy circuit with a slight (2%) uphill finish was too much for Mark Cavendish (HTC-Highroad)

It was a bit tougher than that with the bunch going quite hard up a 3rd cat climb not far from the end and the finish was quite a bit steeper than 2%. He slipped out the back on the second lap of the finish circuit as did most of the other pure sprinters.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    105k from the finish in #tdsuisse st.5 Barta (APP), Bazzana (TT1), Boaro (SBS) and Sesma (EUS) have 5.45 on the bunch. #movistarteam #en
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The stage info the Tour de Suisse has put out there is hopeless - anyone got details on the last few kms? .

I think it's actually quite good - click on 'Detaillierte Marschtabelle' and you'll get detailed elevation/km figures. The last 1km today is straight, with the first 500m uphill ca. 5%, then flattening out to about 1% to the finish. Cav could win this if his train just powers up that first 5% bit and keeps the peloton grouped, but plenty of chances for it to start to hurt in the final meters. That's why I picked Sagan for PTP.

And it being Swiss, you can count on the numbers being correct ;) . The ASO 'final km' graphs are sometimes a bit desceptive.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,585
    Oooh, Eurosport is saying that WADA will introduce a clenbuterol threshold shortly. That could change things.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Was that Sagan off the back? I'm only half watching so could be mistaken......
  • Tom BB
    Nope just seen him-safe at the front of the peloton
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bozic. Kirby ain't got a clue.

Sagan played the old "you have to be prepared to lose in order to win"... and lost.

Epic fail from HTC though.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Almost as much contact and blocking as a game of American football.
    Bozic avoids the human bollards the best.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    Great last km - Boonen going like the last km sign was the bottom of the Taaienberg, then Marcato going. Sagan closing a gap and still getting third.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Exciting finish, nice when you get an unexpected winner.

Nice to see Boonen testing his legs, even if it was pretty suicidal. Reminded me of his attack in KBK earlier in the year.

PTP disaster though, my fault as I was boasting about my PTP form earlier!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • What a tour Sagan is having! Cav missing Renshaw, but still he got boxed in badly there his own fault.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Great finish. One of the best "sprint" finishes I've seen for a long time. Great dig from Boonen, and the look of shock at winning on Bozic's face after the line was quality.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Tom BB
    Yeah very unusual sprint in a way......Cav's own fault though-he let a gap go to Goss (only a bike length or so) and with the amount of pushing/blocking etc that was going on he just couldn't move back up.
  • FJS
    Looking at the final result you wonder whether it wouldn;t have been smarter for HTC to go all out for Goss - yes there is some value in practicing Cav's lead-out in race situation, even if not for the win, but if it ends up like this...
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Maybe HTC are just getting the mistakes out the way before the tour. they were bad on the first couple last year.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Just watched it Bob Grosh! I love Carlton, he talks some pap sometimes (all the time)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Pross
    What a mess of a sprint. Plenty of teams took it up early but didn't drive on. HTC seemed a few short and lacked that pace in the last 5km that stops the others disrupting them. Maybe they have decided Cav is off and CBA to go all out for him. Also unlike Cav to get bullied off a wheel that said I think it was that or crash as the last 3km look a bit dodgy!
  • Pross
    What a mess of a sprint. Plenty of teams took it up early but didn't drive on. HTC seemed a few short and lacked that pace in the last 5km that stops the others disrupting them. Maybe they have decided Cav is off and CBA to go all out for him. Also unlike Cav to get bullied off a wheel that said I think it was that or crash as the last 3km look a bit dodgy!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ha, liked Boonen's attack.

They'll chase him down, but some randomer in a Vaconsolei kit they'll give a good 100m....
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Has Boonen had his day? I'd be sad if that was the prevailing opinion, but the question has to be asked.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • cornoyemade
    cornoyemade Posts: 180
    Nice to see Thor win. Even nicer to see Cavendishy 7 minutes back.

Where was Goss? 14 seconds back?
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Nice to see Thor win. Even nicer to see Cavendishy 7 minutes back.

Where was Goss? 14 seconds back?

wrong stage. these are 'flat stages' with 2000m climbing, not really true sprinter territory....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Great finish. One of the best "sprint" finishes I've seen for a long time. Great dig from Boonen, and the look of shock at winning on Bozic's face after the line was quality.

It was like watching Alan Carr in a Vacansoleil jersey
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'