TdSuisse *SPOILER*

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Having done the descent a few times I had my heart in my mouth at the speed they were going at. The on board shots from the motorbike really showed their speed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    afx237vi wrote:
    Best day's racing of the year, that was. Great stuff.

+1 superb ride from Cunego just a shame he couldn't take the stage as well. Is he riding the Tour as on that sort of form he could give Bertie a run for his money. Maybe these short, hard mountain stages are the way forward rather than the 200k plus wars of atrition? stopped picking Cunego for PTP as he never delivered for me!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Great work by the camera crews and TV director. The only downside was typically nervous commentary by Carlton.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

+1 superb ride from Cunego just a shame he couldn't take the stage as well. Is he riding the Tour as on that sort of form he could give Bertie a run for his money. Maybe these short, hard mountain stages are the way forward rather than the 200k plus wars of atrition? stopped picking Cunego for PTP as he never delivered for me!

As much as his ride today was real quality he does seem to struglge a bit in the really long mountain stages of the Tour unless he is in the break and he could lose over 3 mins + over a 40K TT.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Wow, what a stage. Best I've seen in ages - possibly the best since the mud bath at last year's Giro.

Amazing performance by Cunego - best I've seen him on a proper mountain stage (missed his giro win). To bridge two minutes in, what, 5/6k is incredible.

And Sagan. Is there nothing that guy can't do?! 21 years old...just frightening what he could achieve.

Awesome descending too - was bricking it just watching some of the early corners with cliffs at the side. Madness.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Quick mention for Rabobank too - they're flying at the moment. Who do people reckon will support Gesink in the moutains at the tour?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

As much as his ride today was real quality he does seem to struglge a bit in the really long mountain stages of the Tour unless he is in the break and he could lose over 3 mins + over a 40K TT.

Yeah, I meant to say in the mountains it would be nice to see them going toe to toe on the slopes as Bert showed at the Giro he was happy to chase attacks even if they weren.t a gc threat.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Wow, what a stage. Best I've seen in ages - possibly the best since the mud bath at last year's Giro.

Amazing performance by Cunego - best I've seen him on a proper mountain stage (missed his giro win). To bridge two minutes in, what, 5/6k is incredible.

And Sagan. Is there nothing that guy can't do?! 21 years old...just frightening what he could achieve.

Awesome descending too - was bricking it just watching some of the early corners with cliffs at the side. Madness.

Yea great riding similiar in a lot of ways to the stage to Falzes in the 2004 Giro that secured him the pink jersey, that day he broke away from the main favourites bridged a gap to the leaders passed them and dropped down into Falzes for the stage win .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Quick mention for Rabobank too - they're flying at the moment. Who do people reckon will support Gesink in the moutains at the tour?

I think Mollema will be the main support for Gesink in the mountains. He finished a solid 12th in the Giro last year at the age of 23 despite three people ahead of him getting time in the big break. Was never quite with the best riders though - i think he is the kind of rider who will be there if there is a group of 15-20 but if it goes down to the best 10 then he will be off the back.

Laurens Ten Dam should be there too. Kruijswijk is in the tour de suisse but might be tired after racing the Giro and so could be aimed at the Vuelta.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I think Mollema will be the main support for Gesink in the mountains. He finished a solid 12th in the Giro last year at the age of 23 despite three people ahead of him getting time in the big break. Was never quite with the best riders though - i think he is the kind of rider who will be there if there is a group of 15-20 but if it goes down to the best 10 then he will be off the back.

Laurens Ten Dam should be there too. Kruijswijk is in the tour de suisse but might be tired after racing the Giro and so could be aimed at the Vuelta.

Ten Dam will be more useful than Mollema. Ten Dam has a fair bit of experience and is well liked in the peloton.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Breathtaking, a masterclass on how to decend.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

Kruijswijk will probably get a rest after Giro and Suisse, with promise of a TdF place next year (or he'll look for another team).
    Mollema and LLS would perhaps have some freedom for their own GC chances initially. Ten Dam, or Garate would be more clear-cut mountain domestiques. Barredo, Clement, Martens, Niermann, Tankink, Tjalingii or Weening can also provide some useful climbing support pretty far into a mountain stage. Then there are riders like Boom, Freire, Breschel and Langeveld, who most teams would give a leading independent role in their TdF squad.
    Embarrassment of riches
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Most importantly, they need a focussed Plan A. What they mustn't do is go there with 3 or 4 different plans (and riders to suit those alternative plans) that they flit between on a daily basis.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    PS

There is something beautiful about watching bikes decending well.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Abdoujaparov
    FJS wrote:

Kruijswijk will probably get a rest after Giro and Suisse, with promise of a TdF place next year (or he'll look for another team).
    Mollema and LLS would perhaps have some freedom for their own GC chances initially. Ten Dam, or Garate would be more clear-cut mountain domestiques. Barredo, Clement, Martens, Niermann, Tankink, Tjalingii or Weening can also provide some useful climbing support pretty far into a mountain stage. Then there are riders like Boom, Freire, Breschel and Langeveld, who most teams would give a leading independent role in their TdF squad.
    Embarrassment of riches

Some great talent in there. And they're clearly heavily prioritising the tour when you consider the team they put out for the Giro.

Can Gesink with the Tour? He's my bet for a top three, but maybe he needs a year or two more before he can challenge AC and AS...
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Agree that was one of the best stages of any race I've seen in years. Can't wait for the Tour now though!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Good shots from rear facing camera attach to someone's bike.....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    camerone wrote:
    Good shots from rear facing camera attach to someone's bike.....

Yeah, Righi I think it was.

It's a shame no races since Flanders have put a camera in the team cars.
  • camerone
    I assume htc are riding for Goss today on account of the lumps in this circuit?

Edit. And the fact cav is wallowing to the back of the peloton
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dull stage compared to yesterday, but a much needed win by Hushovd.
  • camerone
    edited June 2011
    Sagan went to soon, symptom of youth perhaps, tough drag to the finish that perfect hushovd finish. He looks strong he was in the wind alot in last 25kms
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Big long gutsy sprint from Sagan, almost two in a row. almost - just pipped on the line by Thor; the two of them sprinting well clear of the rest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Thor finds his form in time for Le Tour. Cav needs to send him into the barriers, pronto.
    Smithy out does Kirby. Manages to spot Oscarito on several occasions. Pretty good going since Freire has left the race to have a sinus op.
    Kirby could only manage to mistake Cancellara for Voigt, today.
    So yes, a pretty average stage. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Thor finds his form in time for Le Tour. Cav needs to send him into the barriers, pronto.
    Smithy out does Kirby. Manages to spot Oscarito on several occasions. Pretty good going since Freire has left the race to have a sinus op.

Freire is not supposed to be quitting the race until tomorrow.CN have also noted his presence today.[/url]
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625

Freire came 5th
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/75th-t ... -4/results

He goes home after tomorrow's (Wednesday's) stage
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8744/ ... -more.aspx
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Brian S 1 Blazing Saddles 0

(You need to stop believing the CN forums)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Ah yes, abandoning after Wednesday. Odd way to phrase things.
    So that's just leaving.
    Caught all the Dutchies out on the CN forum.
    They were all under the impression he'd gone home, too.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Brian S 1 Blazing Saddles 0

(You need to stop believing the CN forums)

Hah, like I said. Those bleedin' dutchies can't get a thing right.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Thor wins a race. :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    AP
    tumblr_lmshu6nGJy1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest