Favourite current Pro

123457»

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It was a team effort. We all played our parts.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    P_Tucker wrote:
    pb21 wrote:
    I don’t think patriotism would exist if it didn’t serve a positive purpose from an evolutionary point of view.

:lol: How long have countries been around? In evolutionary terms, not very long at all. So it's not "evolved" in the conventional gene sense. And even if it was, rape has evolved as a perfectly sensible mating strategy, subject to certain conditions - would you advocate that too?

No.

Rape is indeed one of the many cultural universals, doesn’t mean it’s right though.

Like I said we have evolved to an extent where we can rationalise our thoughts and actions and anyone who is morally sound can clearly see that rape is wrong.

I suggest you actually have a think about these issues, instead of trying to be a smart arse and failing miserably.
    Mañana
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    This started as such a nice tread about favourite pros :cry:

Having been on the other tread to state my least liked, I thought I should re-affirm that my favourite is:-

Alexandre Vinokourov

Also, Contador, Evans, Sastre, Petacchi, Boonon, Cunego, Inglinskiy bros, Barredo, Hushovd, Nicole Cooke, Tiralongo, Nibali, Chavanel, Freire, Boom, McEwen, Flecha, Zeits.......

I could go on, but I won't. :wink:
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    edited June 2011
    Is all this uncomfortableness with 'patriotism' and 'nationalism' just a by product of the cross of St George being associated with the BNP, NF and football thuggery?

English? Yes I am, proud to be English? Not really.
    Why? English equates with football thugs, drunken louts on holiday, BNP rallies/riots. (And generally being cr*p at sport)

Being English should be about being the cradle of democracy, the Archers, Elgar, dandelion and burdock, rainy bank holidays, proper beer, tea, Shakespear, teh Lake District, the industrial revolution etc (i.e the good things we have contributed to the world, and not forgetting the awful things we gave the world too - concentration camops, slavery, colonnialisation)

Pratchett said he was proud to be English last night on 'that' programme, whilst not wishing to open that can of worms I understood what he meant. (He was talking about a man who was very calm and dignified in a dreadful situation).
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    pb21 wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    pb21 wrote:
    I don’t think patriotism would exist if it didn’t serve a positive purpose from an evolutionary point of view.

:lol: How long have countries been around? In evolutionary terms, not very long at all. So it's not "evolved" in the conventional gene sense. And even if it was, rape has evolved as a perfectly sensible mating strategy, subject to certain conditions - would you advocate that too?

No.

Rape is indeed one of the many cultural universals, doesn’t mean it’s right though.

Like I said we have evolved to an extent where we can rationalise our thoughts and actions and anyone who is morally sound can clearly see that rape is wrong.

I suggest you actually have a think about these issues, instead of trying to be a smart ars* and failing miserably.

So your initial statement was that patriotism wouldn't have evolved for no reason. Assuming that you were attempting to contribute to the discussion, rather than making random factually incorrect statements, one can only infer that you were attempting say that, since something evolved, it must make sense for everyone to do that thing.

But no, your reply says the opposite. So, for my rebuttal, read your reply above but replace 'rape' with 'patriotism'. Can you find the flaw in your own argument?

Finally, try to remember not to get cocky when you can be proved wrong.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Sorry to interrupt...

Cunego was great to watch yesterday. Can I add him to my list please?

...as you were.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Nationalism is no less stupid than racism, it's just more socially acceptable.

I think this is perhaps one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

It's not, use the search function up top and search "Author - P_Tucker"

You will see a whole list of stupid things to choose from.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    This started as such a nice tread about favourite pros :cry:

Having been on the other tread to state my least liked, I thought I should re-affirm that my favourite is:-

Alexandre Vinokourov

I also like Vinokourov, I think not least because I think that he actually talks and thinks like that fake twitter feed, eg "Vino not doing Giro this year, too easy" etc. I hope he is like that in real life.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    P_Tucker wrote:
    So your initial statement was that patriotism wouldn't have evolved for no reason. Assuming that you were attempting to contribute to the discussion, rather than making random factually incorrect statements, one can only infer that you were attempting say that, since something evolved, it must make sense for everyone to do that thing.

But no, your reply says the opposite. So, for my rebuttal, read your reply above but replace 'rape' with 'patriotism'. Can you find the flaw in your own argument?

Finally, try to remember not to get cocky when you can be proved wrong.

My initial statement was that patriotism wouldn’t have evolved and be present in all cultures for no reason. It didn’t say it made sense for everyone to behave that way, in fact I said we shouldn’t blindly follow a particular line. I suggest you read it again, carefully.

Like I say have a read and a think and come back when you have something constructive to say, instead of trying to be a smart arse and comparing apples and oranges (rape and patriotism) and failing miserably.
    Mañana
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Only came on this thread to be a Contador fangirl. Confonted with rape and patriotism. :lol:
  • secretsqirrel
    MrTapir wrote:
    I also like Vinokourov, I think not least because I think that he actually talks and thinks like that fake twitter feed, eg "Vino not doing Giro this year, too easy" etc. I hope he is like that in real life.

:D His is a bit of a mythical beast.

But you can't beat him publically humiliating Bruyneel (to paraphrase)

'I'm back, Astana is my baby, and if you don't like it you can leave'
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Nationalism is no less stupid than racism, it's just more socially acceptable.

I think this is perhaps one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

It's not, use the search function up top and search "Author - P_Tucker"

You will see a whole list of stupid things to choose from.

Ace, I save that for a boring day at work
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir wrote:

Is that an actual quote? if so well done that man, Bruyneel is like Bela Lugosi in dracula.
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    Levi Leipheimer. I raced against him in his younger days when he first came across to Europe. Excellent climber
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    procyclist wrote:
    Levi Leipheimer. I raced against him in his younger days when he first came across to Europe. Excellent climber

Think you should take a look at the least liked thread...
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    procyclist wrote:

Think you should take a look at the least liked thread...

Easy to take a dislike to someone if you don't know them. This closed minded prejudice (except against the French, thats fair enough) is the reason why there are so many wars and people dying for no reason
  • secretsqirrel
    MrTapir wrote:

Is that an actual quote? if so well done that man, Bruyneel is like Bela Lugosi in dracula.

The story goes that Bruyneel invited him to a meeting to advise that he would not be welcome back to Astana. So before the meeting Vino (still serving the last 2 weeks of his ban) organised a press conference in the Monaco hotel where Astana (Armstrong/Contador vintage) was staying on the eve of the 2009 TDF, and delivered the message as above, in French. As stated it is a paraphrase, but here are a couple of linkies from CN.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kazakh-coup-to-oust-armstrong-and-bruyneel-from-team-astana
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-done-with-astana
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Johnny Hoogerland - for continuing after THAT crash, and giving a great post-stage interview on ITV4 coverage. He was so forgiving, it was unreal!
  • MrTapir
    Johnny Hoogerland - for continuing after THAT crash, and giving a great post-stage interview on ITV4 coverage. He was so forgiving, it was unreal!

+1, what a guy.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Riders what I like for various reasons:-

Voeckler - just for sheer bloody-minded attacking
    Thor Hushovd - for turning his game around after admitting that he couldn't beat Cav in a sprint.
    Cancellara - same kind of reasons as above
    Team Sky - just because they're a British team, needn't have to justify it really.
    Jonny Hoogerland - just have to really, KOM already in my book.

One I don't like, Contador - just can't warm to him, and the 'allegations' haven't helped.

Oh and to just throw my ha'pennyworth in on the supporting home riders etc, I support Bath Rugby cos I come from Bath, is that bad? But on the contrary I love it when the England footie team lose, mainly because I can't stand football or footballers or the over the top suppport/hype given by 'the country' every tournament that comes around.

Also - I love France, Italy, Spain, Holland etc.....not xenophobia here, I'd happily live in all of them.
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344

+1 - well said Paul
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I am all for Team Sky, particularly Swifty, Thomas, Eddie the Boss and for Brad before the crash. Big fan for Mark Cavendish!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Roscobob wrote:

+1 - well said Paul

+1 too, amazing. He suffered nightmares that night, his stitches restricted his riding, but he still got to the end just under 6 mins down..Premiership footballers take note...
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Not read from the start but I imagine Johnny Hoogerland is right up there. +1 from me as well and not just as a result of his "bump" and then wonderful attitude afterwards, but for his antics in enlivening many of the races he's been in to. Also I reckon that Vaconsoleil must be in with a shout for team of the year too
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Gilbert and, still, Boonen.
    kop van de wedstrijd