Favourite current Pro

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Your thoughts...

Be it for their riding, anti-doping stance, or even sunglasses- who's your fave?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You really need to ask? :wink:
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Just trying to create a discussion on a forum (heaven forbid!). What's the harm?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love em all.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2011
    Favourite rider: Geraint Thomas (local boy)

Favourite star: Cav - for a combination of talent, interest and charisma, he's without equal (since Tom has stopped winning races)

Favourite non-Brit, non-Sky: Evans, probably - I can relate to him. I liked him even when everyone slagged him off as a wheel-sucker (where are those wheels now? Serving bans, that's where). He's was also responsible for my best PTP season ever, almost single handed.

Favourite non-star: Samuel Dumoulin - a fellow short man (I'm taller than him though).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just trying to create a discussion on a forum (heaven forbid!). What's the harm?

I think RC was referring to his well known devotion to Mr Boonen, rather than commenting on your post.

Similarly, it is well known that:

Tusher loves Cavendish
    FrenchFighter loves Contador
    IainF72 loves Basso
    & BikingBernie loves Armstrong (they're just going through a bad patch)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    corneradye loves Cavy :D
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Everybody loves Ricco.
  • Jens Voigt. Obvious I know. But he kicks ass and is not some anodyne perfumed pro like so many rolling around him on a silly wage in the peloton these days.

Special good-pro award goes to Geraint Thomas though. Funny guy and a professional professional.

Trust me, you'll all be naming your next newborn son after him.......! :wink:
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Nico Roche for the whole Irish thing, but Evans mainly.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Nice thread, a bit of positivity.

Gilbert and for a reason I cant explain Hesjedal. I think its to do with attacking riders. Oh and Thor, just wish he would wear the jersey with all the honour/pride Cadel did, which reminds me since last year I'm warming to cuddles too....oh and Millar ever since he make a break for it when the tour started in London and he said he did it to 'pay something back to fans who came out to support the tour'.

Old time fave would be Pantani.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Nibali. "Watch me tear down this mountain for fun".
  • Tommy Voeckler for me, he just doesn't seem to care when he attacks or even if most of the time it's futile, he just attacks anyway because he can.

On a seperatre note i also admire any rider who finished this years Giro.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    got a few really, in no particular order: Boonen, Samuel Sanchez and Geraint Thomas.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    My fairly predictable picks would be Voeckler, Voigt for entertainment value and Evans and Cav for just being great at what they do.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    cav, gilbert and very oddly ricco because he's like a panto bad guy.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    George Hincapie has always been, and always will be my favourite.

Mark Cavendish is a very close second. My heart's always in my throat watching him sprint - such a character!
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Think I'm going for Geraint Thomas. Then probably Wiggo.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    RowCycle wrote:
    Then probably Wiggo.

But only when he had his mutton chop sideburns :D
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Tommy Voeckler for me, he just doesn't seem to care when he attacks or even if most of the time it's futile, he just attacks anyway because he can.

On a seperatre note i also admire any rider who finished this years Giro.

There's a good interview with Voeckler in Rouleur, he sounds like a really decent chap. I like him also cos of his attacking style. I also like Gilbert, Sylvain Chavanel, Cav. I always admire Cav for the way he thanks his team, and what he did during the commonwealth games.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    Hunt as he used to ride in some of the same races as me and Geraint as a local boy but purely on riding it has to be Gilbert and Voeckler for their attacking styles. I do like Cav as well for his talent and his honest opinions - as with any person like that, he divides opinion as we know!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Well, now Gibo's gone they all just seem so second rate :wink:

I'm not sure I have a favourite. I like Millar, Jurgen VDB, Boonen, Devolder (who surely must be the most underrated double Flanders winner of all time!) and I like all of Euskaltel, partly for the Basque thing (had some good times there!) and partly for the amazing names, Amets Txurruka, Gorka Verdigo et al.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Freire, Menchov, Boonen and anyone of the Brutt / Ignatiev school of "grenade" breaks - pull the pin and see how far you get before you explode.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Any of the British riders, though Wiggo and G my favourites.

Of the non Brits: Samuel Sanchez, Tommy Voekler and Bertie
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Cav, Nibali for his descending
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    Favourite rider:Geraint Thomas
    I very much like Geraint Thomas the winner of the 5 day Bayern Rundfahrt (Tour of Bavaria) 25-29 May 2011 & lying 6th at the moment in the Dauphine.

Emma Pooley the Pantani of Ladies Road Racing

I hope Robert Gesink can improve with maturity
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Got be Geriant for me to.

I do like Cav cracking character and his tweets are great.

Fave foreign rider has to be Jens.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I like Cancellara.

How about you OP?
  • rick_chasey

I'm probably the biggest fanboy on here.

Boonen.

I like Boonen for many reasons.

1) I like the way he races - I think he has an excellent balance between properly racing ("koersen" - i.e. trying to create selections, attacking, taking turns in breaks), and racing smart. There's little of that leukemans suicidal "koresen" just for honour or valour.

2) He's consistently a main protagonist and enlivener of my favourite races - the flat classics.

3) It helps he's good looking > not that i'm sitting there rubbing one out (a surprise to some of you I know ;)), but it helps him look cool. Girlfriend also approves which helps

4) He's an excellent racer - the way he can move through the middle of the peloton and position himself - the way he attacks (when he does) - the way he can smash the cobbles hard. He's also a smart racer.

5) I like his interviews - he's not got verbal diarrhea, nor does he give bland answers, but he's still pretty honest They're a little guarded, but he often lets it known how he feels. I also like how, whenever he's criticsed, there's a polite, but confident refusal to acknowledge he did wrong, at least, publicly. He's interesting. He's also very open about his training, diet, etc, which I'm keen on.

6) He's quite human. He's got an ego, he needs to be boss, he finds living with being good and popular tough > he already talks about retirement and he's honest that he doesn't love it all that much.

7) He couldn't be further away from the type of rider I am. He's fast, I'm slow, I'm a tiny waif, he's tall and weighs in at 80 kilos.
  • rick_chasey

Devolder (who surely must be the most underrated double Flanders winner of all time!)

I see your Devolder and raise you Nuyens...