Favourite current Pro

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    And I forgot Oscar Friere... after whom my dog is named.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • federalski
    federalski Posts: 93
    I have a good team who I like to support...

Anton and Nieve for their mountain billy goat quallities and Txurruka for his attacks.
    I like the Euskatels so these are quite biased.

Hushovd for his Green jersey win, even though he was'nt the fastest sprinter... :roll:

Chris Anker Sorensen for the face of doom we all know all too well, especially his effort in last years Giro.

Cadel for reasons stated, the wheelsucker shouters a few years got right on my nipples...

Prob more whom I cannot recall just now, though of the new breed Thomas and Boom I like.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I like Tyler Farrar - liked him before, liked him despite the terrible transitions advert and since the Giro can't believe that he is able to climb on a bike and race.

Any british rider through nationality reasons - same for Japanese riders.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Tommy Voeckler for me, he just doesn't seem to care when he attacks or even if most of the time it's futile, he just attacks anyway because he can.

On a seperatre note i also admire any rider who finished this years Giro.

This.

My favourite GC rider is probably Ivan Basso
    Favourite Classics rider is Damiano Cunego
    I like Fränk Schleck, cause he is the rider I am most like, albeit a lot slower.

Just to balance out the positivity of it all, I can't be done with Chavendish, Hushovd is a whinger, and I don't like Renshaw. Infact, most of HTC do my head in.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,246
    David Millar above all.

As an adoptive Breton I've started rooting for Christophe Le Mevel. I also like that he's prepared to chance his arm.

I'd started cheering on Xavier Tondo at the start of the year at first because of that Vaughters article but then because I liked the plucky way he rode. Tragically he's no longer a current rider.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    unashamed Cav fan. love his bolshiness, the fact he has to grovel up climbs, and the sheer speed.
    cadel , used to dislike him, started warming to him when he threatened that camera man.
    geraint, seems like a nice lad, clearly lots of talent.
    others - a schleck, gilbert,
    canc and gilbert solely for their descending.

cannot stand hushovd, he might as well shit on the jersey the way he's ridden to date (cue good tdf...)
    also hugely dislike contador, nothing to do with latest positive, always been something about him thats abit odd, cannot explain it.
    and farrar. he annoys me for no particular reason..

fave older one Gert Jan thernisse (sp) i loved him in the '89 tour.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It would be intriguing to figure out where the public perception differs from the peloton's take on riders.

The public loved Poulidor, but the riders didn't really like him, much preferring Anquetil, things like that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    quite like a lot

Ryder

Stannard

Nibali

Russ

G

Sammy sanchez.....

Tommy V

cav (surprisingly)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Vino, G and Tommy V.

also for the insane attacks Jonny Hoogerland and Thomas de Gendt
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Cakegirl
    Cakegirl Posts: 66
    Emma Pooley is wonderful - ability, character, attitude, icecream , organisation and that mag interview..
    Jens Voigt, for all the obvious reasons.
    Cancellara - absolute power and grace. Could watch him descending forever.
    Gilbert - attitude
    G.Thomas - all round good funny guy
    Malcolm Elliott. Teenage crush 25 years ago has never worn off.
    Ed Clancy - spoke to him at the Cycle Show a couple of years back - really nice and totally generous to an ordinary bikie
    If everything's under control, you're obviously not going fast enough.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    All the British riders especially Thomas - and Swift and Kennaugh could be faves if they keep improving.

Support Cav (shouting at the screen during sprints etc), but he's probably my least favourite British rider.

Not many mentions of climbing domestiques - love seeing them outclimbing GC contenders. Navarro, Szmyd, Nieve - all great.

Really like watching riders with great technique - e.g. Contador, Cav (just don't let him speak), Cancellara. Not a fan at all of Wiggo's climbing technique, but aside from that he's good.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The Brits.

The Euskaltel team (I've got an Orbea).

Damiano Cunego - as long as the current allegations turn out to be false.

Gilbert.

Cadel Evans.

That dead fit Swedish rider from the HTC women's team.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Emilia Fahlin?

3447786819.jpg
  • finchy

Emilia Fahlin?

3447786819.jpg

You owe me a new computer screen. :wink:
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    johnfinch wrote:
    You owe me a new computer screen. :wink:

It'll wipe clean :lol:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663

Emilia Fahlin?

3447786819.jpg

Nice wheels on that bike.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Never understood the liking a rider due to Nationality.

I like riders for how they ride and who they are and not where they come from.

+1

Nationalism is no less stupid than racism, it's just more socially acceptable.
  • finchy
    P_Tucker wrote:

+1

So wanting British cyclists to do well so that cycling becomes more popular in the UK is stupid and as bad as racism?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    johnfinch wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

+1

So wanting British cyclists to do well so that cycling becomes more popular in the UK is stupid and as bad as racism?

Indeed. Why do british cyclists deserve a more popular sport vs foreign people?

And as an aside, other than possibly the safety aspect, WGAF about having a popular sport? Can you imagine if chavs started road racing? "Miss a turn again yerk*nt and I'll glass you". Jesus.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    P_Tucker wrote:

+1

Oh Jesus, here we go.

Steve Cummings gets my vote.

Also like Evans, Thomas, Wiggo and Millar.
  • Really enjoyed 'Beyond The Peloton' on Youtube as an opener to pro-cycling, so I like most of the Cervelo team, especially Haussler. Besides that I also like Scarponi - don't know why, just something about him, I think he won the first stage I watched - could be wrong.
  • disgruntledgoat
    iainf72 wrote:
    It would be intriguing to figure out where the public perception differs from the peloton's take on riders.

The public loved Poulidor, but the riders didn't really like him, much preferring Anquetil, things like that.

Riders didn't like him cos he was a moaning bustard.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    David Millar - used to live near us, my boys used to shout 'allez, allez, allez' whenever he rode past and he didn't take offence & of course he'd always say 'hi' in the corner shop

Cav - like people who wear their heart on their sleeve

G - fantastic ambassador for British cycling this year, has done the British National jersey proud

Gilbert - just awesome

Flecha - liked Juan before Sky, ever since the archer salute at le Tour. Seems to be going from strength to strength, the Sky setup seems to suit him

(list should include Jaja, Robert Millar and Eddy M)
  • finchy
    edited June 2011
    P_Tucker wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

+1

And as an aside, other than possibly the safety aspect, WGAF about having a popular sport? Can you imagine if chavs started road racing? "Miss a turn again yerk*nt and I'll glass you". Jesus.

I've read the first question 5 times and it still doesn't make any sense.

Having a popular sport = more media coverage, more people participating will mean higher sales volumes in shops, which should translate into lower prices due to the economies of scale.

And surely the safety aspect alone should justify wanting cycling becoming more popular.

Besides, every person is free to choose which criteria they use to decide on which cyclists to support.
  • disgruntledgoat
    if chavs started road racing? "Miss a turn again yerk*nt and I'll glass you". Jesus.

Yes, no agressive and sweary type has ever entered a road race. They are all aesthetes and the type of person who reads Rouleur. :roll:

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    P_Tucker wrote:
    And as an aside, other than possibly the safety aspect, WGAF about having a popular sport?

The more popular a sport is, the more TV coverage it gets. I would have thought that was pretty bleeding obvious.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    P_Tucker wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

+1

It's not a question of them deserving support - it's a question of the person watching feeling some affinity with a rider from the same country.

If it adds a bit of interest for some people and does no harm why not ? Just because nationalism can be a bad thing doesn't mean all forms of national pride are necessarily bad.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    quick - we had better cancel the Olympics because it is racist and stupid. :twisted:
    regards,
    dbb
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Cavendish
    Eisel
    Nibali
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The Brits, the Japs, Nibali, Voeckler and Roche for me.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey