Favourite current Pro

Comments

• Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I like a number of the brits......Swift, G, Cav, Kennaugh etc.....not a huge Wiggo fan but I'm enjoying seeing him do well in the Dauphine.

Others that I like are EBH (won the first race I ever went to) Gilbert, Evans, Cancellara (although less so after last years Tour) Love watching Bertie climb, but really cant stomach him at the moment.....

Also a fan of a couple of domestic pros.....Dave Clarke and Simon Richardson-both great climbers and great blokes too :D
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    Another one for Gilbert. I like his 'balls-out' attacks and not only his strength, but his sense of timing when he attacks. He's a proper racer.

And, being a good Cardiff boy, I've got to root for Geraint
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Gilbert and Voeckler for me too. Got to admire their style & guts.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Never understood the liking a rider due to Nationality.

I like riders for how they ride and who they are and not where they come from.

--

Rick, why do you not have a Boonen avatar?

Here is an unusual one:
    Timm-Kolln-2.jpg
    (Note this is TIMM KOLLN photo)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Devolder (who surely must be the most underrated double Flanders winner of all time!)

I see your Devolder and raise you Nuyens...

So underrated I don't even remember his first win?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Rick, why do you not have a Boonen avatar?

Here is an unusual one:
    Timm-Kolln-2.jpg
    (Note this is TIMM KOLLN photo)

Because he doesn't look like me.

My picture is a little more relevant to me.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Rick takes being Boonen's dopplerganger seriously. He's even put some effort into having thinning hair so he looks more like him.

I'm not sure there is any truth to the rumours he insists on calling his girlfriend Lore or Sophie.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey

Devolder (who surely must be the most underrated double Flanders winner of all time!)

*FAIL*
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Rick takes being Boonen's dopplerganger seriously. He's even put some effort into having thinning hair so he looks more like him.

I'm not sure there is any truth to the rumours he insists on calling his girlfriend Lore or Sophie.

:lol: Ha!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

You're a character in a Tarantino film? Cool.

My fave riders:

- Geraint Thomas, 'cos he's proper Welsh, like.
    - Gesink, 'cos of that ride in Canada last year.
    - Yukiya Arashiro, 'cos I like outsidery types.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

Had NO idea it was a tarantino link?!

balance_16-284x284.jpg

It's from this album cover....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

Had NO idea it was a tarantino link?!

It's not, it just reminds me of Reservoir Dogs or something.
  • disgruntledgoat

*FAIL*

I meant to put a wink after that. I didn't mean it be sneery or condescending at all!

I also have a lot of time for Nicolas Portal, having clung onto his back wheel as he pootled his way round a sportive in the Pyrenees (to the top of the first climb, no chance down the other side!)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Chung Mee
    Chung Mee Posts: 48
    Favourite climber: Alberto* Contador
    Favourite sprinter: Thor Hushovd and Alessandro Petacchi
    Favourite time-trialler: Fabian Cancellara
    Favourite Favourite: Alberto Contador

Other favourites: Kurt-Asle Arvesen, Jens Voigt, Luis Leon Sanchez, Tom Boonen, George Hincapie and a few other I can't recall quickly right now

Least favourites: Cavendish (bleurghhhh) Armstrong (BLEURGHHH)

*That's Alberto, not AlAberto :roll:
  • rick_chasey

I meant to put a wink after that. I didn't mean it be sneery or condescending at all!

No it was a fail on my part!
  • rick_chasey
    It's funny really.

I get really excited when Cancellara races, and I'm disappointed when he doesn't compete but I never feel any happiness when he wins.

I'm very keen on Bram Tankink too, but that's due to years of being fed NOS interviews.

Of the GC guys, Andy Schleck is the one I like the most.

Not a touch on Boonen or Tankink though.
  • disgruntledgoat
    I always quite like ballan too, but he looks a bit shakey these days.

On the bottom of Oude Kwaremont on the Flanders Sportive this year, someone had put up a load of 8ft tall paintings of notable riders. Devolder had a mace, Cancellara was dressed like a galdiator, Nuyens was some sort of farmer... But Ballan was naked in the shower. I'm not sure of the significance.

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Malcolm Elliot (a) because he shows that age is no barrier and (b) because of that ANC Halfords Tour

Of the youngsters, Peter Kennaugh, because I think he may well live up to the hype.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Basso fanboi.

Also Pierrick Fédrigo, Pinotti, Evans and Gilbert.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No new names, but the riders I find myself rooting for tend to be:

Voeckler,

Gilbert,

Thomas,

Evans,

Nibali,

Cancellara.

All seem to have guts or style in one combination or another.

My favourite of all would have been Vino had he not had that spot of bother with the old drugs.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Basso fanboi.

Also Pierrick Fédrigo, Pinotti, Evans and Gilbert.

No Boonen? :(
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    Malcolm Elliot (a) because he shows that age is no barrier and (b) because of that ANC Halfords Tour

Of the youngsters, Peter Kennaugh, because I think he may well live up to the hype.

Although I haven't seen enough of Kennaugh racing I do like his attitude. They interviewed him after the 09 nationals having finished 3rd overall and 1st in the Under 23 he wasn't scared to launch a scathing attack on a lot of the other "bigger name" riders for their lack of effort chasing House despite having only just turned 20. Must be the way you Manx people get brought up that makes you outspoken!
  • rick_chasey

My favourite of all would have been Vino had he not had that spot of bother with the old drugs.

I wouldn't let that stop you.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:

Although I haven't seen enough of Kennaugh racing I do like his attitude. They interviewed him after the 09 nationals having finished 3rd overall and 1st in the Under 23 he wasn't scared to launch a scathing attack on a lot of the other "bigger name" riders for their lack of effort chasing House despite having only just turned 20. Must be the way you Manx people get brought up that makes you outspoken!

I agree he does have the right attitude. Unfortunately his brother seems to have lost his way a little and has jacked in the team he was racing for in Italy. I guess "talent" also includes mental fortitude.

So much home grown (GB) talent at the moment. This year's nationals could be worth a visit!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    My favourites are: -

Schleck x 2
    Voigt
    Cancellara
    Sylvain Chavannel
    Jerome PIneau
    Luis Leon Sanchez (what's happened to him this year?)
    Thomas
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    The Millar twins Robert and David :D Spartacus because he can do what does so well and descends so beautifully. Life time favourite - Pantani - Stage finish in Courchevel in 1998 was fantastic !
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    The Millar twins Robert and David :D Spartacus because he can do what does so well and descends so beautifully. Life time favourite - Pantani - Stage finish in Courchevel in 1998 was fantastic !

Don't you mean Les Deux Alpes, there wasn't a stage to Courchevel in '98?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I like Gilbert or Gesink's uncomplicated gutsy riding,
    or their or Evans' year-round performance,
    or Tankink's uncomplicated post-race swearing about this or that,
    or Pinotti's, Millar's or Horillo's (retired but recently) off the bike observations,
    or Russ Downing as local rider not too big to keep visiting local events,
    but if pushed I'd say:

Freire, for the phantom factor, strategic calculation, and mad bits of genius such as his first road Worlds win or that Tour de Suisse stage (the one with the traffic island)
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I used to be fixated on all those naughty Spanish climbers -- Bertie, Valverde, LL Sanchez, etc.

I like the following these days: Sandy Casar, Christophe Le Mével, and Rein Taaramäe,
  • afx237vi
    Oh yeah I forgot about Casar, I like him. So much so I named my pet gerbil after him (now sadly deceased after an unfortunate incident with a cat).