Critérium du Dauphiné - SPOILER

Comments

• jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Riders who perform now have a job to keep the form for the Tour. Wiggins and Evan's form a little ahead of schedule maybe.
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Riders who perform now have a job to keep the form for the Tour. Wiggins and Evan's form a little ahead of schedule maybe.
    -Jerry

Its an interesting one. Historically, a lot of riders have won the Dauphine and gone on to win the tour (Indurain, Armstrong, Landis) - Contador has also looked strong in the Dauphine (if not quite 100%).

On the other hand, recent trends suggest that holding form from Dauphine to Tour is tricky. With Wiggins, it could be that he isn't yet at peak form (which would be very good news), or he may sit back a bit in the later stages, or he may just have peaked a bit early, or he may be at peak form now and be able to hold that through July.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Spotting people's form in build-up races is nigh on impossible.

The only indication I can see is that Basso is currently in sh!te form.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    2008. Sastre rode like a bag of spanners at the Dauphine. Well, ok, not that badly but he didn't try to keep up with the Valverde/Evans battle
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think basso is still struggling after his disagreement with Mt. Etna.

Or maybe at the moment he's only 'thinking' about riding well...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    We should be mindful of the Dauphine effect from tomorrow. Landis didn't win the Dauphine in 06, he suffered The Effect on Ventoux (AFAIK)

Have a good test in TT and then "ease off" (whatever they entails)

I think Basso is not in great shape, but think he'll be a lot better in a month, assuming he's not got an underlying health issue.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Well Wiggo has gone well in the TT but lost time the other day on the final ramp. That might suggest his power is up there at the moment, but he's still carrying a bit more weight than he will be at the tour. That'd make sense considering how anorexic he needs to get to be competitive, its probably not a good idea to be like that a month beforehand in case he gets ill.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    JonGinge wrote:
    2008. Sastre rode like a bag of spanners at the Dauphine. Well, ok, not that badly but he didn't try to keep up with the Valverde/Evans battle

From what I remember, Sastre only came good for the last week of the tour.

I think Iain's right too, we'll see a different Ivan in 4 weeks time
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Or maybe at the moment he's only 'thinking' about riding well...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'd just finished lunch when I read that! Good job or I'd have spat it all over the keyboard.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    :lol:

April 15: Vino on Twitter. You will follow me.
    April 16: Vino is ready at the Ardennes. My legs as strong as Kazakh steel.
    May 9: No Giro for Vino this year, route too easy.
    June 5: Vino Tweet from Dauphine. Prologue done - easy. Heart rate stay low. I crush them in the mountains.
    June 8: Today Grenoble will crumble under Kazakh thunder. I never heard of this Wiggons guy you talk of. Vino crush him.
    June 8: Vino love the rain. Vino love the cold. Vino love the hot. Vino not feel the difference

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8693/ ... z1OmMDmKAu
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    vino's funny.

watching highlights from yesterdays tt. There was a good split screen of wiggo and cuddles on the decent, wiggo was taking very very safely would of been nice to have a split at the bottom to the finish as wiggo must have been very strong over the last bit of the course.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:
    Fair point though I think perhaps you overstate the interest that WIggo draws (Chris Boardman !) and ignore Cav who imo would draw far more interest if he had Sky's publicity machine behind him.

Don't think that Sky didn't try and get Cav too. But he was probably more cautious of a new team as he is more reliant on team support. Every Sky sprint train since has looked like an audition to me.

As to my Boardman reference - go and ask a random (non-fan) Brit to name a British cyclist and see how quickly Boardman's name comes up.

I'm sure they did try and get Cav - but you said nobody would draw interest like WIggins except Hoy and Boardman and Cav's name seemed like an obvious omission - if you meant to write nobody that was available at the time then yes I agree with you.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • incog24
    I wonder if Boardman will have the cash to get the next bike deal when the pinarello one runs out (end of next year?). Wiggins + Cav + Hoy + Boardman to complete the British love in.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    incog24 wrote:
    Well Wiggo has gone well in the TT but lost time the other day on the final ramp.

He lost a tiny bit of time despite having to chase hard in the final ks when the group split. Cuddles was the other main contender caught out and he lost a few seconds to Wiggins. Wiggins stayed with some big names on the bigger climb on Stage 1.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    incog24 wrote:
    I wonder if Boardman will have the cash to get the next bike deal when the pinarello one runs out (end of next year?). Wiggins + Cav + Hoy + Boardman to complete the British love in.

If they really want to turn road racing into a mainstream sport then they need Victoria Pendleton to join Team Sky, the Daily Mail would be all over that, even if she finished last in the TDF... :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • incog24
    Anyone else notice the new Canyon TT bike? Not sure I've seen it before. Similar to the Speedmax by the looks of it but with a new stem configuration, brake behind the fork etc similar to the other big companies new bikes

http://www.omegapharma-lotto.be/ (its on the home page)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Jeremy Roy and Adriano Malori lead by about four minutes. Two useful riders but good luck staying clear...
  • Anonymous
    No way!!!
    Carlton Kirby on air for 30 seconds, close up of Knees in his Sky Jersey.

"There's Tony Martin"...

FFS. :evil:
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Just logged to post that as well. What a muppet
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    NapoleonD wrote:
    No way!!!
    Carlton Kirby on air for 30 seconds, close up of Knees in his Sky Jersey.

"There's Tony Martin"...

FFS. :evil:

Hilarious - The guy is that inept that he didnt even correct himself.
  • Anonymous
    It even says his name on the side of his freaking jersey!!!
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    The fact it says Sky in big writing on his shoulder was also a clue
  • Gazzetta67
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It even says his name on the side of his freaking jersey!!!

He cant tell the difference between Knees prob around 6`4" ??? and Martin say around 5`7" Muppetry award goes to ???
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Flecha for the sprint? The guy is comic genius.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzetta67
    Flecha for the sprint? The guy is comic genius.

I thought he said Eric Vanderadaen for the sprint just pipping Guido Bontempi ? 8)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He can't tell his arse from his elbow and now he can't tell his Martin from his Knees
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

He cant tell the difference between Knees prob around 6`4" ??? and Martin say around 5`7" Muppetry award goes to ???

You for thinking Tony Martin is 5'7"?
  • Gazzetta67
    Well am guessing he`s around 5`7"ish - seen him at the Tour of Britain and Christian Knees is around the same height as me......lol do u want to get the tape measure`s out :D
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Makes you wish Duffers was still commentating (almost)

Do you think he's angling for a free bike from Wilier? Always name dropping them.

Just feel sorry for Brian having to tolerate him
  • who needs a tape measure when you have Google?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cy/profil ... 09613.html