@ Genesis Equilibrium riders

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2018 in Commuting chat
Without boring you with the reasons why, I am now very seriously considering buying an Equilibrium frame and fork combo and notice, when reading member reviews here, that a chap called Handlebarcam states you can comfortably go for a shorter frame with the geometry being the way that it is and I was wondering if you guys would support this. The toptube length has a difference of only 1.3cm between the 54 and the 56 and I am somewhat torn between which to go for.

From what I have read it seems like a fantastic machine and is so much better value than Condor's Fratello, which was my original thought.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Evans stock them, if they don't have the bike in they will get it delivered to store so you can test ride. Tell them you want to try both sizes.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Not sure about that, the top-tube length is what I always look for, and I ended up getting the 60cm, which most shops would tell me is a size too big. It depends on your proportions, I have a long torso and relatively short legs.

I do agree that it's a wonderful machine. Realcycles.com gave me 11% off the F&F when I bought mine, which makes it truly stonking value.
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks lads! I think the test ride is the way forwards and I see Realcycles are still doing that offer so thanks for the tip.

It sounds like I am the opposite to you UE in that, although I am a fairly standard 5' 10 I have sloping shoulders and can get quite tense in them and my neck if I have to overstretch.

Do you need specific long-reach brake callipers for the Equilibrium? I have a set of Tektros from my old Pearson Touche, but I'm not a huge fan of them.
  • Thanks lads! I think the test ride is the way forwards and I see Realcycles are still doing that offer so thanks for the tip.

It sounds like I am the opposite to you UE in that, although I am a fairly standard 5' 10 I have sloping shoulders and can get quite tense in them and my neck if I have to overstretch.

Do you need specific long-reach brake callipers for the Equilibrium? I have a set of Tektros from my old Pearson Touche, but I'm not a huge fan of them.

Yup, long-reach are required. I have Miche ones I got from Wiggle for £17 the pair, and I like them a lot. They are easily adjusted on the road, and have quick releases. ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performan ... lliper-set ) Though as with all brakes, replace the stock pads straight off.

You'll also need cable barrel-adjusters and a cable guide for the bottom bracket shell, as the frame comes without. It did have a seat-post collar (black), but I used a different 29.8 mm band, because I'd already bought it, and it was silver. You'll also need a FD clamp, if you don't happen to have a 28.6 mm one. I have a Campagnolo Record headset on mine, because I'm a bit of a tart and it's really, very lovely. The rest of the build came off the dead Orbea, so all in all it was very reasonable.

I think it's worth trying them at Evans, if you can for the sizing. I would say that it's a superbly comfortable bike, I could ride it all day. Realcycles took about a week to deliver.
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks lads! I think the test ride is the way forwards and I see Realcycles are still doing that offer so thanks for the tip.

Yup, long-reach are required. I have Miche ones I got from Wiggle for £17 the pair, and I like them a lot. They are easily adjusted on the road, and have quick releases. ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performan ... lliper-set ) Though as with all brakes, replace the stock pads straight off.

You'll also need cable barrel-adjusters and a cable guide for the bottom bracket shell, as the frame comes without. It did have a seat-post collar (black), but I used a different 29.8 mm band, because I'd already bought it, and it was silver. You'll also need a FD clamp, if you don't happen to have a 28.6 mm one. I have a Campagnolo Record headset on mine, because I'm a bit of a tart and it's really, very lovely. The rest of the build came off the dead Orbea, so all in all it was very reasonable.

I think it's worth trying them at Evans, if you can for the sizing. I would say that it's a superbly comfortable bike, I could ride it all day. Realcycles took about a week to deliver.

Thanks again!

I read somewhere that Shimano do a quality, decent-priced long-reach brake, but as I will be putting my Campagnolo Daytona (10 year-old Centaur) groupset on it might be sacrilege to mix the two. I'll check out your recommendation.

I'm not experienced with building bikes myself, but my brother and nephew are, and as they are coming down to stay in a couple of weeks I might see if I can get everything together by then. I'll fire off an email to Realcycles.

I think what attracts me most to the Equilibrium is that it sounds like it is a comfortable, fast all-rounder. I've discovered that I just don't have the time for long social rides and want to make the most of my commute (no matter what the weather) together with quick training blasts when the mood takes me.

I'll pop into my local Evans and book up a cheeky test ride.
  • I think what attracts me most to the Equilibrium is that it sounds like it is a comfortable, fast all-rounder. I've discovered that I just don't have the time for long social rides and want to make the most of my commute (no matter what the weather) together with quick training blasts when the mood takes me.

It certainly seems to tick all of those boxes. Personally, I couldn't be happier with it.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I've been test riding all sorts of bikes recently - some road (Trek 1.5, 2.3, Giant TCR 1, Equilibrium 10, Specialized Allez & Secteur), some mountain (Giant Anthem X, Genesis Core, Boardman Pro HT) - as well as taking my Cotic Roadrat out for a few spins.

Despite my new bike indecision (can you tell?!), no matter what I ride and no matter how expensive it is, I keep coming back to the Equilibrium - it's the one ride that I had the most fun on. I'd love a 20, as I love the 105 kit, but it's probably just a bit too expensive at the moment, and with 100 quid off the 10, it is just too tempting...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Dooooo iiiiittttt!!!!! :twisted:
  • the_fuggler
    Dooooo iiiiittttt!!!!! :twisted:

:D I think you're the guy sitting on my left shoulder. Alas, my wife is sitting on my right...!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Dooooo iiiiittttt!!!!! :twisted:

:D I think you're the guy sitting on my left shoulder. Alas, my wife is sitting on my right...!

You want me to distract her while you click the buy button? To be fair, mine's roughly the spec of the 10, as I built it from the frame and forks. Tiagra is really very good.
  • the_fuggler
    You want me to distract her while you click the buy button? To be fair, mine's roughly the spec of the 10, as I built it from the frame and forks. Tiagra is really very good.

Hehehe... As it happens, I have to go to the solicitor tomorrow (the two things are not related!), who happens to be less than 50 yards from Evans....

One more test ride....!

:D
    FCN 3 / 4
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Fate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genesis-Equilibrium-/170651244708?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27bb9b58a4#ht_1370wt_1139

He is "students who don't have time for using it" but the bike is "costume made".

I don't see him passing his English degree somehow... :lol:
  • jonny_trousers
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Fate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genesis-Equilibrium-/170651244708?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27bb9b58a4#ht_1370wt_1139

He is "students who don't have time for using it" but the bike is "costume made".

Ha! I did actually contact him about that bike and it all sounds decidedly dodgy. Think I'll steer clear.

There is a very pretty 58 with SRAM groupset listed on Ebay too, though. Contrary to what I had heard (and mentioned above), I've discovered that Equilibriums are on the shorter side of their stated size and so one size up may make sense.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Fate:

Ha! I did actually contact him about that bike and it all sounds decidedly dodgy. Think I'll steer clear.

Yup, suspect that's probably a good move.
  • the_fuggler
    There is a very pretty 58 with SRAM groupset listed on Ebay too, though. Contrary to what I had heard (and mentioned above), I've discovered that Equilibriums are on the shorter side of their stated size and so one size up may make sense.

I'm 5' 10" (32 inside leg) and the 56cm was perfect for me. I don't have particularly long arms though and I do like a compact frame and riding position. Still best to ride one to check obviously....

Mind you, having looked at that 58cm on eBay, I might be prepared to spend a few nights on the rack to stretch out a bit. Looks a beauty!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonny_trousers

Hehehe... As it happens, I have to go to the solicitor tomorrow (the two things are not related!), who happens to be less than 50 yards from Evans....

One more test ride....!

:D

When I was talking to them about it in Evans they were very quick to offer a price match with anyone on the web. They were also offering 0% credit.

I've got some nice Campag bits to use so will probably head down the frame and fork only route.
  • the_fuggler
    Evans were good for me on pricing too. I just missed out on them price matching Stif at 800 quid for the 10. I'm hoping Stif get some back in shortly so I can get Evans to price match again (although 900 quid still isn't bad).
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonny_trousers
    Evans were good for me on pricing too. I just missed out on them price matching Stif at 800 quid for the 10. I'm hoping Stif get some back in shortly so I can get Evans to price match again (although 900 quid still isn't bad).

I was offered the twenty for £1,100, which sounded pretty good.
  • the_fuggler

That is good - who did Evans match for that?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonny_trousers

That is good - who did Evans match for that?

Not sure; they did it online in the shop while I was there waiting. Still tempted to go for it.
  • the_fuggler
    Sounds good. My trip into down was delayed until tomorrow, so I'll see what they can do when I'm in there.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonny_trousers
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Fate:

It went for 720 quid!!! It's a nice bike, but 720 quid? Really? At the last minute I was umming-and-ahing about having a punt at it, but I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that price. Sure it's Ultegra, but not the latest Ultegra. It has a steel fork too and nothing special in the wheel department. I think the lad selling it's done well for himself.
  • the_fuggler
    Deal in Evans is still the same - they'll match any other price. I didn't have any evidence to hand, so I guess I need to wait for another offer to appear...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonny_trousers
    Deal in Evans is still the same - they'll match any other price. I didn't have any evidence to hand, so I guess I need to wait for another offer to appear...

Not tempted to build one up yourself? I reckon with some careful second-hand purchasing you could get a far superior build to the 20 for your 800 quid.

To be honest, I think the frame is pretty much the only exceptional thing about the bike (which is, of course, the most important thing). The wheels are crap, the stem and bars feel cheap and although 105 shifts nicely, I was actually quite shocked by how plasticy it felt.

I don't know enough to completely build a bike myself, but getting a little help for the tricky stuff doesn't have to cost very much. Personally, I'm hoping I can pick up the frame for the 10 as I prefer its black to the 20s red (they're exactly the same frame beneath the paint). The red gives me unpleasant flash backs to my birthday as a kid when I was given my very first 'racer' for my birthday. It was an awful, cheap pile of crap that my tight-arsed father bought me called a Lazer Custom and I think it began to fall apart about three hours after I was presented with it.
  • chewymk4
    chewymk4 Posts: 128
    edited June 2011
    Just got one of these myself off another forum member and am blown away by just how well it rides! :-)
    I've also got a Giant TCR that is only a few moths old but it hasn't turned a wheel since i got the Equilibrium.

I'm 5'10" with a 31" inside leg and the 56cm fits perfectly

Mines built up with a new black frame, Pro Vibe carbon bars, stem and seatpost, carbon-railed San Marco saddle, Ultegra groupset and RS80 carbon wheels with Continental 4000s tyres. The combination of the steel frame and carbon finishing kit seem to iron out every bump on the road.

IMG_0785.jpg

Popped into Evans before i bought it and they were more than happy to let me try them out for size.
    [url][/url]Giant Defy Advanced SL 1 2014
    Genesis Equilibrium custom build
    Trek Fuel EX 9 2010

http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=cb784&r=3&c=6&u=M&g=p&f=bcodefjlhk&z=a.png
  • jonny_trousers
    ^^ Gorgeous! You've definitely got me wanting the black now. I just hope you can get it as a frameset. The question now is, black and chrome only or black, white and chrome? Hmm...
  • the_fuggler
    ]

Not tempted to build one up yourself? I reckon with some careful second-hand purchasing you could get a far superior build to the 20 for your 800 quid.

That's a good plan. Originally, my next bike was going to be a Cotic hardtail built up slowly over time. Doing the same with a road bile would be considered more acceptable by house management and would likely extend the budget a bit...

Think I know what I'm going to spend my day doing today....!

Lovely bike Chewy. I also rode a TCR, so it's very interesting to know yours is gathering dust....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • chewymk4
    Black and white looks good but white bar tape can look very grubby, very quickly - especially if you're commuting on it everyday.
    I love the stealth look of all black and carbon so mine will be staying like it is for a while i reckon.

The TCR is definitely relegated to sunny weekends from now on. :-)
    Trek Fuel EX 9 2010

• the_fuggler
    Chewy - any chance of a rough cost of your build?

I have seen red frames for 189 quid here, but I know nothing about them and the next delivery is not due in until August.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • chewymk4
    Bit difficult to put a value on the build of my bike as i bought it 2nd hand.
    The frame, seatpost, tyres and cables were brand new but everything else was slightly used (but in really good condition if i'm honest).

I've had a quick browse on the internet and come up with the following price list - although this assumes everything is new.
    Didn't spend too much time on this so i'm sure you could find better deals if you looked around.
    Was quite staggered by the value - think i got myself a bargain! :-)

Genesis steel frame/carbon fork - £400.00
    Shimano Ultegra groupset - £600.00
    Shimano R650 brakes - £60.00
    RS80 carbon laminate wheels - £400.00
    Continental GP400s tyres & tubes - £70.00
    Pro Vibe carbon stem - £100.00
    Pro Vibe handlebars - £150.00
    Pro Vibe carbon seatpost - £120.00
    San Marco Aspide carbon railed saddle - £150.00
    SKS thermoplastic mudguards (not shown on pic i posted) - £30.00
    Pro SX-4 computer - £30.00
    Shimano XT SPD pedals - £50.00
    M Part headset - £20.00
    Shimano chain - £25.00
    Seat collar - £5.00
    Cable set - £30.00
    Handlebar tape - £10.00

TOTAL - £2250.00 :o

Really need to weigh it as it seems very light for a steel bike too.
    Trek Fuel EX 9 2010