London Cycle Challenge 2011 - Site Open

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I played last year on the very, very outskirts of London though I did ride in RP during the month IIRC. As a team we came 3rd overall and ruledthe class we were in, helped by a few memebers joining the competitors in our class to make them have too many members.

BTW What is the team name?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    All joined up, lets get ready to kick some ar$e again this year!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Start recording 18th June? Hmm - there's a lot of people going to be putting down the BHF London to Brighton run for miles!
  • Subaqua
    Subaqua Posts: 73
    Joined .. awaiting confirmation
    Black Pearson Imnotanumber- FCN 4
    Blue Marin Team Issue MTB - FCN around 30
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Approvals will take a little while today, I have a 30 minute gap in my diary from 3 to 30..
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    StuAff wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:
    Actually the rules do say:

"1. Cycle Challenge allows miles to be logged by individuals aged over 18 who live, work or study in Greater London."

although there's nothing in the general blurb suggesting that iit's limited to Londoners

As I remember saying in the thread for last year, that rule is (IMHO) nonsense. London is not a closed city. Don't miles ridden by visitors on bikes not help to reduce congestion etc? I ride there, regularly. I probably ride in London more than many who do 'live, work, or study' there (three times in the past week, for a start!).
    Signed up and group membership requested.

Mileage from 18th June-15th July....bugger, my LeJOG won't count. Or the Dun Run, or my Dunwich rehersal ride. Ho hum, that'll only leave an FNRttC (Whitstable, may ride back into the smoke for the team!), and whatever other long runs I fit in. I want to have another go at the audax route from January (Wantage and back)....

The rule is there as it is funded by London tax payers and part of a scheme to increase cycling in London, and other cities are free to start their own. It can also give them an opt out if they do notice a surge in traffic from somewhere else and they don't want to support it.

In short, they aren't going to send the Police for you, it's just T&Cs and there just in case.
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    I'm in.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • asprilla
    Just a reminder folks that we kick off in 5 days and a lot of the big guns haven't signed up yet.

Come on folks, our collective scalp ss at stake...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Asprilla wrote:
    Just a reminder folks that we kick off in 5 days and a lot of the big guns haven't signed up yet.

Come on folks, our collective scalp ss at stake...

Indeed! I know Il Principle is out of the country atm, but he has a good enough reason for that :-) I've already done a group message on Facebook to all members of The Game and I'm trying to get it out on Twitter :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I thought languishing in London would be pretty close to living in London so I signed up.
  • ZoomZoom
    ZoomZoom Posts: 53
    Have signed up too!

The points are a little confusing, are they awarded for the total distance covered in the period?
  • Team size 1st prize 2nd prize 3rd prize
    2-10 £75 £35 £20
    11-50 £150 £75 £40
    52-100 £350 £150 £75
    101+ £750 £350 £150

I'm a newcomer to this so can anyone tell me which team size SCR reached last year? I remember you winning a prize and donating the winnings to Wheels for Wellbeing but not which category you won in. Also, if your mileage is lower than the average, can you scrub yourself - or can admin scrub you - from the competition records so that the team slots into a better position in the next team size down?

I'm just wondering whether it's possible, if I do fewer miles than the average, to sacrifice my miles done so that the team qualifies for a higher prize in the team size below.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    regretted not signing up last year. I'm game for it this time round! A winter weekend riding has made riding 6 days a week so much easier now!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Last year we had 73 members (I still have the final stats spreadsheet in my Dropbox ;-))
    We where in the 51-100 category and IIRC the teams behind us where all near the limit for members so carrying at least 15-20 more members :-) Despite that they couldn't out do our teams awesome and inter-teammember rivalry to see who could clock up the most miles :lol:

ETA: Actually reading the stats properly 4 people didn't even contribute any miles, so I guess technically we had 69 /snigger members
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good luck this year folks but I wont be joining i'm done with crazy mileage for at least this year.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:
    Good luck this year folks but I wont be joining i'm done with crazy mileage for at least this year.

Join anyway but just go easy on the mileage eh? :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    itboffin wrote:

Any miles is better than no miles. Just log what you are doing and remember it's for charidee.

Also, are all the Marmotters signed up? I'll be disappointed if there are any Wheelers missing as well....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Any miles is better than no miles. Just log what you are doing and remember it's for charidee.

Also, are all the Marmotters signed up? I'll be disappointed if there are any Wheelers missing as well....

Well we have the resident mountain goat aka JonGinge on board. Think CJCP and Clever_Pun may need a prod.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've already signed up. Targetting over 150 miles a week this year, compared to the 70-90 last year. Commuting plus 2 20 mile training rides plus Sunday club run should see me there...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

+1. Miles is miles.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • asprilla
    Bassjunkie, are you permanently poised over the team page? I keep getting the member requests but every time i get there you've added them already, you are coiled like a spring....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Asprilla wrote:
    Bassjunkie, are you permanently poised over the team page? I keep getting the member requests but every time i get there you've added them already, you are coiled like a spring....

:lol: Almost, it's rather quiet where I'm working with no restrictions on net access (such is the joy of working in IT support ;-)) Failing that I get the e-mails on my phone and just do it from there.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Membership awaiting approval from the big man on the door i.e. Asprilla.

Riding in the Alps counts, right? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    What cjcp said. Apart from the Alps bit. :D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    cjcp wrote:
    Membership awaiting approval from the big man on the door i.e. Asprilla.

Riding in the Alps counts, right? :wink:

Approved :-) And yes I don't think it says anywhere in the rules miles have to be ridden on UK soil :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Tremendous.

So, how many more teams are going to get a spanking from us this year?

@Ketsbaia: no Marmotte?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    cjcp wrote:
    @Ketsbaia: no Marmotte?

Not this year. Expensive, time-consuming divorce to sort out = no pricey foreign cycling jaunts. Next year, though.