How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• markrst1
    markrst1 Posts: 191
    Hi im Mark 33 from Berkshire ive been road cycling for about 8 months now and loving it. I commute to work everyday on a Hybrid after selling my car. Have joined here as i have been informed its full of friendly helpful advice. Am also selling some items so looking for a wider audience before putting them on the dreaded flea bay ! Nice to meet you all.
  • 29 and bought a bike last year when I decided I wanted to give triathlon a go. I had to go away for 6 months with work, so only managed to do a short sprint distance and a handful of training rides. Looking forward to getting some more under my belt this year.
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • paul1275s
    paul1275s Posts: 27
    42, Mountain Biking since 1985, a bit of Roady stuff when I was 18-20 years old, just bought a road bike for a bit of variety and the fun of the chaingang! About five or six of my buddies who have also been long term mountain bikers have also taken the plunge.
  • 27 complete novice here

and technically i havent hit the road yet, little bit of cycling on a cheap MTB but that doesnt count, but next cpl of weeks will see me purchase a road bike and start racking up the miles!
  • Age 37.

Started about 6 months ago and on my way to losing 3 stone :)
  • bokawel
    bokawel Posts: 8

Been biking alot 20 years ago then stopped. Started bike commuting since October. Will do a sportive and a charity ride this year.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    56 and back on the road after a 20+ year break. Not as easy as I thought but determined to get there.

Used to cycle 250 miles a week just for fun, then a change in career meant I had to give it up. My old steel bike and older stiff legs don't seem to work the way they used to, so instead of pushing 52/40 front and 11/19 rear I think it is time to admit defeat and buy a new freewheel... :(
  • pmsurrage
    pmsurrage Posts: 11
    46 going to die
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Hello Peeps,
    52 in July going but still fell 35! All this 2 wheel stuff is very new to me being a petrol head! Diagnosed recently with a cholesrol of 8.4 the Doc recomended I do some excercise! So, I stumbled accross a Giant TCR 3 that caught my eye and here I am! Looking forward to many miles of enjoyment and a lowere cholestrol too..
    Really good site btw :wink:
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • hannahk
    hannahk Posts: 19
    Just turned 27.
    Had a super cheap mountain bike at uni but not really sat on one since then. Had a bit of an impulse purchase and just bought myself a Specialized Allez Sport. Just about getting used to clipless pedals and trying not to die around the congested roads of southampton!
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Hello All

I'm 33, used to cycle a lot but between moving to Wales in 2007, new job, became a dad etc etc went many years without sitting on two wheels. Until I was persuaded to sign up for the BHF London to Brighton in 2011.

Started practicing with the 17 mile commute from my house into my office on my old battered mountain bike, then ended up buying a Cube Nature hybrid. Great bit of kit that is. After 3 months (and almost 700 miles) on that I completed my first L2B in about 4 and a half hours. Done L2B again last year in a smidge over 4 hours, and done the Brecon-Cardiff Bay (55 odd miles) Taff Challenge as my Stag Do last September as well.

This year, it's L2B again, a perfect warm up ride for the Prudential London-Surrey 100 in early August. Picked up my first road bike - Cube Agree GTC - yesterday. Terrifyingly different from the hybrid but the ride and acceleration is incredible! Just waiting for the temperature to creep above freezing point before taking it out again this morning.

Edit - having taken the bike out for a quick 4 miles or so (gave up on waiting for temperature to rise above freezing) and having got used to clipping feet in and out of road pedals, I can honestly say that I'm madly in love! The bike is incredible, so smooth across the bumps and stupidly fast. I was matching my hybrid speeds despite having troubles with the gear levers so I was stuck in the granny ring on the front...

Want to ride it on the 17 mile commute into work, but I fear the route will be very icy tomorrow morning. Ice/Frost + new road bike = potential for a massive accident!
  • 36 here, mountain biker seeking new challenges upon a move to Norfolk. I'm average fitness but hope to improve. I like the social aspect of road riding too.
  • GeoffW
    GeoffW Posts: 7
    Hi,

53 yr old fat, unfit, asthmatic checking in here. I started cycling late 2011, just a cheap Halfords hybrid. It was fine for up and down the local cycle track. I then found I was going further afield so bought a Spesh Roubaix :D . Since Sept 2012 I've been commuting daily to work on the hybrid (10 miles door to door). I'm loving every second of it, and my only regret is that I didn't do this decades ago.

As a reward for my efforts I've dropped a stone and a half :) .

Geoff
  • manc_andy
    manc_andy Posts: 33
    hello,

28 for me.

I fancied getting a road bike after a few friends got back into cycling a year previous. The cycle to work scheme allowed me to get a fairly decent bike and the rest is history. So far it has helped me to get get my fitness up and start running again too!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    47/48
    I got a s/h Spesh Hardrock last year, having had a Rockhopper about 15 years ago. Full of intentions to do some forest tracks, it never saw much more than the occasional costal route. After a couple of months off through the winter, I started commuting in January, 15 mile round trip, so now it only ever sees tarmac.
    I'm now looking to buy a roadie for around £6-700 when my employers cycle scheme opens later this month
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    36 on a excellent call from a 72 year old mad keen cyclist RIP

best advice i've ever had met some excellent people and just love it especially spending money on toys :mrgreen:
  • Kellym82
    Kellym82 Posts: 5
    just turned 24. Never really cycled before (only on holidays as a kid!). Just bought myself a Cannondale Synapse 7 Sora - lovely first road bike I think, smooth and easy! Registered to do the Ride London in August so looking to complete 30/50/70 mile sportives before that time (any suggestions of routes in the SE welcome!)
    I've started using SPD clips to get used to it - the other ones kinda scare me still, especially after I've heard some horror stories of falls when people haven't been able to get their feet out of them in time to stop! I've inherited an old pair of shoes, so until they die I think I will stick to the pedals I have :)
  • lindberg
    lindberg Posts: 13
    Recently moved to the Alps, 62'nd b/day in a month been riding my 19year old Halfords Carrera mtb on the road for six months
    ( off road downhill may fall off a cliff) the tyre drag and general setup does not work comfortably ...every road any direction from start is UP... 6%, 12%, 16% and one short route 28 % 36% according to strava only tried this once to date failed for a bit of it.

But cut 16 mins off my early times for short 10 mile training route the downhill bit is not difficult if you stay on at 68kph spinning like a derbisher (mtb remember) and the motorised vehicle users don't get you.

Anyway, usual newbie question ...probably no answer except what's been said previously.......would welcome some reasonable opinions (ah ah!.. be kind)....in respect to new road bike contender which is currently between : CUBE Agree GCT Pro triple / Orbea Orca BLT /Focus Izalco Pro Kuota Korsa carbon (last 3 bit more £'s that CUBE )

Also LBS says the Far East Carbons are very hard to get at this time of year as production is now switching to 2014 models/paint jobs (oh he sells ORBEA)...... made in Spain ( EU allegedly)

Salutations
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I started to have an interest in cycling back in 1971 (there was a posh bike shop near my
    primary school, Princess Road Junior) and a back street/down alleyway a couple of streets
    away). I didn't get my first bike until 1979 (aged 16) and my first new bike 1980 from
    Sale Cycles in Manchester.

I've been in a cycling honeymoon period ever since. I've just bought a steel 725 frame from
    Spa Cycles to replace one of my titanium frames which has a large crack around the seat/tube
    bottom bracket area.
  • IanREmery
    lindberg wrote:
    Anyway, usual newbie question ...probably no answer except what's been said previously.......would welcome some reasonable opinions (ah ah!.. be kind)....in respect to new road bike contender which is currently between : CUBE Agree GCT Pro triple / Orbea Orca BLT /Focus Izalco Pro Kuota Korsa carbon (last 3 bit more £'s that CUBE )

Also LBS says the Far East Carbons are very hard to get at this time of year as production is now switching to 2014 models/paint jobs (oh he sells ORBEA)...... made in Spain ( EU allegedly)

Salutations

Welcome!

I've got the Cube Agree GTC for my first roadbike, only had it a fortnight and it's just amazing. Very smooth and an absolute joy to ride. M y best mate has the Izalco Pro and says it goes like absolute stink.

Only problem with such a nice bike is that it has exposed the limitations of my early-season fitness, which are pretty limiting!
  • lindberg
    Oops ! started this don't know where it went to ..apologies.

Thanks for the brief report on the Focus Izalco...which version? very interested but perceive some difficulty as believe fitted with Scram Force very s-xy kit but LBS (amongst others) express scram to be akin to the lucifer, no tooling for scram what if mishap on road ...a walk home (similar story for Campaq given Italy is only 60 miles away most odd.
    So probably the exotica ought to be confined to Shimano ..probably ultegra ...after all the odd team uses Shimano stuff.

Need to make a decision although feedback response limited to date (early days), somewhat discouraged by this mornings ride stats on the mountain climb...given still increased improvement on earlier performance strava says avge 278w with fair peaks of peaks of 1200w ....which is in the top 5 who post this ride...... KOM avge output = 306w my ranking is way way down in time...is it probable 26in wheels VTT (off road)tyres and 26+kg equipped bike may be a disadvantage against the road bikes or am i looking for excuses to get a new toy?

Salutations
  • IanREmery
    I believe it's the Izalco Pro 3? Possibly the 2013 bike of the year? He bought it in October (then had a hernia op in November so he was only able to take it out on the road once before this March).

The second part of your reply - were you on a mountain bike? In which case forget about comparisons as it's like chalk and cheese. I didn't use Strava before I had my roadbike as the rankings were quite completely irrelevant.
  • lindberg
    Thank you, the response would be in the Affirmative....mtb ...but contemplation of wattage produced being irrelevant eludes me?..
    Delivery from gearing & wheel size, tyre cohesion et.al would presumably impact upon performance howsoever this may be measured?

salutations
  • IanREmery
    lindberg wrote:
    Thank you, the response would be in the Affirmative....mtb ...but contemplation of wattage produced being irrelevant eludes me?..
    Delivery from gearing & wheel size, tyre cohesion et.al would presumably impact upon performance howsoever this may be measured?

salutations

sorry, I was referring to the times recording being irrelevant. I don't know how Strava calculates the wattage unless you have a power meter on the bike, so I think it needs to be taken lightly and don't worry about it too much.

On a side note, I had my first commute into work on the roadbike this morning. Thoroughly expected to smash all my records, was slightly depressed to find I was going faster on my hybrid last June. I know weather and comparative fitness levels (or more precisely, a lack of) are a big factor, but come on!

keep peddling away.... :-)
  • lindberg
    I think a decision may be nearer ......almost.....it's looking in favour of the Orbea Orca BLT, think the "life time" guaranteed "almost" bulletproof, apparently a matter of pride for Orbea, as competitors offer maybe 5yrs max,
    FULL Ultegra,(not a 105 mix) decent wheels for some not so decent roads (snow/ice damage <800/1000 mts), overall weight not the lightest, been around in same guise a while, rigid but some subtle lowdown flex allowing comfort all day, and no need for upgrade after a few months. (OK now I said that wait for sensational 2014 version with free DI2 upgrade!!!...)

BUT... may have to be the carbon grey & black.......LBS says black/orange no longer available??? seems odd.. as Euskatel have orange/black livery for this years pro team!.........or perhaps this is the reason why that scheme is not currently available??? any one know for sure???

As for performance figures earlier post.........guess I've a touch of competitiveness....if it doesn't hurt you can do more.

Salutations
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    29 goin on 59.. been into biking since as far as i remember, commuting for a couple of years now on a track ss after realising my old Mongoose dj mtb was slowly killing me off

First road bike purchased yesterday, never used drops before so the spin round block was interesting.. :shock:
    also amused by these 23mm tyres, cant imagine that being comfortable on our roads for long :?
  • lindberg
    Evening all & IanR........well not a great deal of assistance on this forum in respect of participants and road bike choice advice, anyway.....ordered it yesterday Orbea orca BLT carbon/black, with Ultegra FC 6703 (triple for local terrain consideration) in crank set in silver instead of black, to contrast the carbon, and with black Keo Max 2's every thing else as spec.

Maybe I will receive an acknowledgement from road bike riders now, I recall around 10/15 years past especially early summer Sunday mornings(6:30 ish) when you encountered another brethren cyclist a cheery exchange would without fail take place.......even if you did have a peak on your helmet and riding mtb.

However, have you noticed of recent times, such attire and mount is often greeted with a nil response and on occasion some derision in respect to one's choice of two wheels..........which causes a smile as I wonder how many of you have forded rivers on jungle tracks in the high Sierra Madre occidental or the highlands of Saba on their bike, or even ridden the routes of the Atacama ( San Pedro de Atacama to Boliva) a mere 5500 metres above sea level and 30 degrees with the odd climb to make you cry.

So this is the new golf then......! perhaps an unfair generalisation but many roadies do choose to run in packs.....!

So as a newbie to road bike,I propose to continue mostly enjoy the miles through preference solo, no one to moan at when it's tough & no one moaning that it's long & steep.

Salutations
    :roll:
  • IanREmery
    Hi lindberg, I spent 2 years on a hybrid (looks like an MTB to be honest) and would still get acknowledged by everyone (MTB and roadies) and now I'm a roadie I acknowledge everyone on two wheels, as that's how I would like to be treated myself.

Nice purchase btw, that's a good looking bike. Enjoy!
  • lindberg
    Well IanR that's exactly as I would expect but ....... would not bank on it of late.. However,..lighter matters:

When it arrives, plan to get around 500mls under belt and head off to the (almost local) Col d’Iseran, formerly the highest road in Europe at 2770 metres (+9090 feet isn)...anyone have any running -in advice.......?? may even experiment with the BIG ring on decent ...see how good the brakes are...

Oh! as a matter of interest not only do they drive on the wrong side of the road to the "sceptred isle" but normal brake setup is Xed.....ie front anchor is LEFT hand... rear is RIGHT...... LBS quite surprised when I showed them my mtb.... maybe I have it set up as reflexes/instincts remember and save potential expensive embarrassment.

Salutations
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    lindberg wrote:
    ........well not a great deal of assistance on this forum in respect of participants and road bike choice advice, anyway.....

I feel sure you'd have got a better response to your question about what road bike to buy if you'd posted in the "Road Buying Advice" forum rather than a random question in an individual thread. The Raod Buying Advice thread is full of examples of "What road bike should I buy for £xxx" type questions which usually generate a great deal of response