How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• TomOdell
    TomOdell Posts: 33
    Thebigbee wrote:
    And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?

Also what cylcling / exercise / fitness history do you have?

Finally what bike have you bought / now use?

Interested to know your thoughts - answer as many as you want and give as much history as you want.

Cheers

Bigbee

I'm 17
    it's something different. almost like learning to ride all over again
    i've had a bike for most of my life. various front/dual suspension mountain bikes. not an awful lot apart from that, fitness wise. lol.
    i got a viking roma
  • I'm 26, started cycling again recently to commute to work as Cambridge is a pretty unfriendly place for cars and packed buses don't really hold any appeal!

I've not really cycled much before apart from the odd ride around to the shops. I play a lot of hockey and go running a fair bit but I'm hoping that the cycling is boosting my fitness a little.

I'm riding a Dawes mirage at the moment but saving up for something for some longer distance rides, like a Specialized Allez, although I'm open to suggestions!
  • nanas1
    nanas1 Posts: 50
    Hi, I'm 43 and been cycling now for around 8 months, looking to raise my fitness and conditioning after years of doing no excercise at all since retiring from football at the ripe old age of 27 with Knee ligement problems.
    Living up in the North East of Scotlands gives plenty oppertunities to get out on the quiet country roads. I really enjoy just getting away from it all and touring the counrtyside.
  • seejay
    seejay Posts: 11
    I'm 26 and started road cycling since getting on my work's cycle to work scheme in April.

Always wanted to do it but never afford a bike above £100. Was a mountain bike user on roads during my uni and first year of work - great way to save money etc but once I got a car, I got lazy and my years of endurance and peddelling legs went. Since getting back with a Road Bike, I feel 'fresher' and 'happier'.

Nothing to wake me up on my morning commute like wind (or rain/hale) on my face. Living in West Yorkshire, I get to either cycle miles and miles of flat land or cycle up and down hills and get jelly legs.

My aim is to be able to do a 100mile race (within good time) next Summer.
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    seejay wrote:
    I'm 26 and started road cycling since getting on my work's cycle to work scheme in April.

Always wanted to do it but never afford a bike above £100. Was a mountain bike user on roads during my uni and first year of work - great way to save money etc but once I got a car, I got lazy and my years of endurance and peddelling legs went. Since getting back with a Road Bike, I feel 'fresher' and 'happier'.

Nothing to wake me up on my morning commute like wind (or rain/hale) on my face. Living in West Yorkshire, I get to either cycle miles and miles of flat land or cycle up and down hills and get jelly legs.

I get jelly legs coming back from a 25 mile ride and having to come out of Ferry back up the hill into Ponte. My aim is to get a 50 miler in before the end of August (Think i'll pick the flat route)
  • seejay
    seejay Posts: 11
    nmt wrote:
    seejay wrote:

I get jelly legs coming back from a 25 mile ride and having to come out of Ferry back up the hill into Ponte. My aim is to get a 50 miler in before the end of August (Think i'll pick the flat route)

I know the exact route, I have do that everytime I commute to work. I live in Ferry I can choose hills when heading towards Ponte or flats when I head East. Have you tried tackling Spittal Lane yet? I am slowly working up the strength to give it a go soon...
  • ffrantic
    ffrantic Posts: 4
    i am 23 and was given a Ribble Winter Trainer, an older model last year from my girlfriends Father. The frame is lovely with a nice geometric look and ITM / Campagnolo components.

A nice starter bike and i am slowly getting all my equipment and kitting myself out.

Currently riding through Cheshire increasing the miles ( or kms) each week.

As a child i cycled in Belgium & Holland as well as around Manchester and on the Velodrome with my school. Always on mountain bikes but it was great fun.

Nowadays i love the freedom and basically how fun it can be to explore the lanes and put miles in the legs.

Bought a Specialized Propero II helmet and some SPD clips and shoes. Had a couple of tumbles and got a nasty graze up my elbow but not much!

Planning on joining a club in South Manchester (Seamons) or in Glossop in a few weeks when i am more prepared!

oh and i also own a Schwinn Mesa MTB which is gathering dust but my friend keeps bugging me to hit the trails, i know where my priorities lie at the moment!
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    seejay wrote:
    nmt wrote:
    seejay wrote:

I know the exact route, I have do that everytime I commute to work. I live in Ferry I can choose hills when heading towards Ponte or flats when I head East. Have you tried tackling Spittal Lane yet? I am slowly working up the strength to give it a go soon...
    No not yet mate don't think I've got the lungs yet :D
  • Hi,

I'm 26. I used to do a lot of cycling during secondary school and college, mainly mountain biking downhill and riding trials. Ever since I started mountain biking I always had my eyes set on getting an Orange Patriot, beautiful bikes! I rode with my mate on long journeys when we were able to, roughly 20 miles per day (weekends only). I went to uni, and after college and took up different sports, mainly badminton. After uni I started work and began doing less sports and doing e-sports instead (not a good idea).

I've just purchased a Bianchi VIA Nirone 7 Veloce 2012 model in the Bianchi colours, and am very pleased with this beautiful bike. I like a bike with racing pedigree and a road bike has to look good no matter what! I've never had a road bike before and have only gotten used to the shoes and pedals. It's surprising how fast you can go on a road bike when you first ride one. I'll be using this on weekends and some evenings just to get my fitness back up. I aim to do a minimum on 15 miles per ride as I'm just starting.

Looking to see how far I can go once my fitness is up to par.
  • 47 years young

Cycled 20+ years ago on a very heavy Raleigh road bike. Was in fantastic shape. 2 kids and a lot of moving around put an end to that! Determined now to shed the middle aged spread and get some conditioning back.

Just bought a Specialized Roubaix C2. What a machine. Now I just need to get a new me to do the bike justice!
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    32 for me.

It started with a change in job last summer in Leeds city centre, I'd lost 2 games of lunchtime 5 a side football with my old job but moved to a company really well geared up for cycling to work so thought I'd try a couple of days a week to replace the football but ended up being 5 days a week straight away, lunchtime rides and longer rides home when possible.

Initially I bought a Giant Escape Hybrid and rode that from July to Jan this year, I then got a Cannondale CAAD8 105 on the bike to work scheme and have really got the bug since that, my average mileage this year is about 125m per week as I try and fit in longer rides where possible (have a young family which restricts things!) and have done a couple of sportives.

Definitely getting fitter and quicker and enjoying it a lot more, can honestly say I didn't expect to find it as addictive as I have done, downside for me is that I too get a bit twitchy when I don't get to go out for a ride and obviously with a young son I can't spend lots of time on saturdays/sundays out in the saddle so all about getting that happy medium!
  • NELLY2488
    NELLY2488 Posts: 25
    My Mrs bought me a road bike for my 40th last year. I used to do a lot when I was a kid and Renolds was all the rage. Manchester to Blackpool a few times etc. Joined the Army left after meeting the Mrs at 20, married, kids sell motorbikes, sell XR2 (LOL) family car, no spare time football at weekend etc. Running, walking. Kids older now, more spare time, riding around 150 - 200 miles a week. Doing John O'Groats to Lands End in 4 weeks!!! Must be mad!! 8 days of pain (backside).

Boardman Road Comp winter bike and Mrs got me a Cube Peloton Race 2012 I love it!! Got the bug again!
  • AndypG800
    AndypG800 Posts: 33
    37 for me

I gave up smoking 2 years ago and put on some weight so in April last year took up cycling. Now 2 1/2 stone lighter and averaging 200k a week can't seem to stay off the bike.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    33 years old. I've been mountain biking for years but a bunch of my mates recently got the road bike bug and I was struggling to keep up with them so invested in a road bike and discovered a massive difference in speed/efficiency.

Still prefer the mountain biking for fun but it's good to be able to enjoy group rides with my mates as well.

I got a second hand Planet X Pro Carbon and between that and the mountain bike I'm probably doing 500-600km a month at the moment
  • joeninho
    joeninho Posts: 9
    This old newbie is 37. It gets you hooked pretty quickly this cycling lark... Bagged my first half century today!

Current bikes...

Cube Attention MTB
    Trek 1000SL Roadie

J.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Thebigbee wrote:
    And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?

Also what cylcling / exercise / fitness history do you have?

Finally what bike have you bought / now use?

Interested to know your thoughts - answer as many as you want and give as much history as you want.

Cheers

Bigbee

Needed to get back in shape, but got a bit addicted and before too long smashed what I thought would be my typical weekly training distance.

No cycling really since riding to school, although I bought a mountain bike about 12-15 years ago which didn't get much use because of starting and then expanding a family.

Club rugby player, 2nd and 3rd XV with running for fitness for that ending at age 25 with knee injury.

Basic Cannondale Synapse, which I love.
  • IainGamer
    IainGamer Posts: 12
    41 years young for me and first time really riding since I was a teenager!!

Been riding about 8 weeks now.

The wife kept pushing that I needed to lose that middle age spread and get fit as was dangerously close to 14 stone and only 5ft 9!

The wife also has started riding and we both got out for the first time together this weekend and managed to do over 33 miles which is my furthest yet.

We both have got Merida bikes (93 lite for me and 91 juliet for the Mrs) as we wanted to support the local bike shop and the spec seemed great for the price he did. Got to say the guys in the shop have been great.

Just building the mileage up now!,
  • jimmas
    jimmas Posts: 50
    56, just a baby lol
  • 28, complicated fib break took me out of rugby... so biking it is!!
    Got bored / bored of the pain that comes with running, cycling is faster and less damaging to the body that running it seems.

Did the gym on and of from 20-27, did running / rowing machine from 30-32.

Bought a spec allez
  • 15 used to play badminton for county now starting road cycling
  • 29 - new dad, need to shift some weight for the rugby season after an ankle op. could run so started riding, completely hooked!
  • 21 - Just Started the Road Biking Scene, been riding for years though as a Commute to work and leisurely to keep fit. Had a Viking Giro D'Italia Road Bike 2009 and have just Brought a new Carrera Zelos Limited Edition Road Bike 2013, which seems to be abit of a step up from the Giro D'Italia. done about 250Miles on the Carrera so far only problem I seem to be having at the moment is the Tyre composition, they are the standard CST C-740 road tyres. After about 130Miles I managed to get a Puncture due to Glass then again 20Miles later on the same ride, not sure if it was just bad luck or the Tyres (as they have no Puncture protection layer).

I was wondering if I should possibly; A) Use Slime Sealant in the inner tube B) Purchase a Pair of Gator Skin Tyre's
    or C) Use both for added protection, but will need another Inner Tube as its a Presta Valve the Slime canister doesn't attach to a Presta Valve (So iv'e been told).

Could any Veteren Rider help me out abit please.
  • I'm 27. Ordered a Giant Defy 3 on the cycle to work scheme over three weeks ago and still haven't got it. It's my first bike to own since a Raleigh Max when I was 12. Really looking forward to getting out there and getting a few spins done. Bought a set of Shimano SPD SL pedals and road shoes but as of yet, have no bike to attach them to.

So any advise on where to get started would be great. What kind of distances and average speeds should I be looking at to start. I am at a pretty good fitness level with fairly good cardio levels. But I haven't cycled in years, so I'm guessing I'm going to find it tough.
  • C-oops
    C-oops Posts: 1
    Hey. 1st post. I'm 34. have just ordered a Specialized secteur Sport triple to begin my foray into road cycling. I used to play Hockey to quite a high standard until back problems forced me to quit. have tried to keep fit with gym, swimming etc until i suffered a disc herniation quickly followed by a disc bulge in my lower back and neck respectively.
    have found that whatever i do hurts to a certain extent so decided to try out road cycling as a way to try and achieve some sort of fitness level again. Sigma Sport in Kingston have been very helpful in sorting me out with a bike and making suggestions in order to help make it be suitable for my needs, ( quite upright riding position). Just have to wait for my cycle scheme vouchers and i'll be away. Will make do with my old mountain bike until then.
  • Dweasle
    Dweasle Posts: 5
    Err...60. It still shocks me to see my age in print!

I discovered that there is a small road cycling group in our village, and went out with them one Thursday on my heavy (but much-loved) touring bike. I struggled to keep up, but hugely enjoyed being part of the group. Within a short time I had bought a Giant SCR2 via eBay, and am weekly (and sometimes more often) savouring the delights of road cycling in the beautiful Somerset countryside.

I am the youngest in the group. The most senior is well into his 70s and still completes in triathlons. We are going for 100 miles in under 12 hours in August.

Thanks for a great site, and forum.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    59 (ouch that sounds so old!!)
    Went down with an unidentified viral infection of some sort about 18 months ago. Knocked me for six to the point I was bed ridden for the best part of three months. Slowly getting stronger but the upshot is I seem to get every cold/bug etc going now and they take ages to heal.
    Unable now to exercise properly in terms of gym training so was looking for a low impact form of exercise and decided cycling was a good option. Went out and bought a Boardman Hybrid Pro and am now in love with cycling. Went for a good hybrid as opposed to an all out road bike due to the drop bars and a back problem. Works for me!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    19! Anyone else?! Haha

Coming from a mountain biking background (last year or so) and just got a Specialized Allez Sport for commuting 34 miles a day!
  • clixt
    clixt Posts: 5
    I'm 23, and I will be commuting to my university. I will probably take cycling seriously in the long run, but for now, I just cycle to commute. :D
  • pr0xibus
    pr0xibus Posts: 10
    28 years old.

And what are your reasons for picking the sport up? seen a bike i liked the look off and bought it

Also what cylcling / exercise / fitness history do you have? No history what so ever, unless you call bridie eating an exercise.

Finally what bike have you bought / now use? Just picked up a Carerra ltd tdf pro for pennies. Done 10 miles not that long afterwards. Afterwards panting like a madman and a very sore ache on the rearside. Loved it tho