How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Age 40.

I recently reached the grand ole age of 40 and decided I need to start looking after myself. Haven't really done much regular exercise since quitting football caused by bad knees.

I'm a commuter but looking to get into longer and more regular riding.

I'm currently riding a Pinnacle Dolomite and loving being on the road.
  • Hi all.

I'm 43...I think...will check with the missus later.

I've always enjoyed cycling for leisure reasons but I had a bit of a wake up call a few months ago and decided to sort my life out.
    So, here are my goals for 2012/3.

1. Stop drinking on school nights. Done.
    2. Stop smoking. Done (3 months now and not ever going back there after 27 years of coughing and spluttering and telling myself I enjoy smoking. I now hate it. Smoking is the enemy!!)
    3. Train my brain. Just started my second Open University course. It's hard to bump start a brain into learning again but it's worth every second of it.
    4. Cycle with purpose. That's why I'm here!!

I bought a Ribble Sportive to try and rule out an excuses. A bike that gets 10/10 has to be better than me so if I fail I can't blame the machine. It was above my budget but as I was saving £7 a day from kicking the cigs I thought I deserved a treat.

My goal for next year is to do the Belfast to Dublin to Belfast Maracycle. I'll explore other options as the training progresses.

My interest in cycle has always been there but now it feels like it is giving me something back. I have a few bikes and its good to actually start using them properly.

Cheers

Paul
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    My goal for next year is to do the Belfast to Dublin to Belfast Maracycle. I'll explore other options as the training progresses.

Gratz on choosing such a nice bike, and you should be able to do the Maracycle easily if you get the training miles in over the winter months.

Now get up that hill..................!!!! :lol:
  • 29 - picking up cycling for commuting and to see more of the great outdoors. still looking for my first set of road wheels.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Hi all.

I've always enjoyed cycling for leisure reasons but I had a bit of a wake up call a few months ago and decided to sort my life out.

2. Stop smoking. Done (3 months now and not ever going back there after 27 years of coughing and spluttering and telling myself I enjoy smoking. I now hate it. Smoking is the enemy!!)
    3. Train my brain. Just started my second Open University course. It's hard to bump start a brain into learning again but it's worth every second of it.

I bought a Ribble Sportive to try and rule out an excuses. A bike that gets 10/10 has to be better than me so if I fail I can't blame the machine. It was above my budget but as I was saving £7 a day from kicking the cigs I thought I deserved a treat.

My interest in cycle has always been there but now it feels like it is giving me something back. I have a few bikes and its good to actually start using them properly.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the post Paul - inspiring stuff. Just wondered how you quit the weed? My dad just went cold turkey one New year and hasn't smoked since. Wondering if that is the best way?

Cheers
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    Hi all.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the post Paul - inspiring stuff. Just wondered how you quit the weed? My dad just went cold turkey one New year and hasn't smoked since. Wondering if that is the best way?

Cheers

Hi thebigbee. I spent a long time thinking about stopping and eventually convinced myself to go for it. The first 24hrs was hell and I had to give in to using the patches. 6 weeks of those things is enough for anyone. I found they gave me nightmares and really disrupted my sleep. I'm well past going back on the patches or the ciggies!! I wouldn't be brave enough for cold turkey but definately recommend the patches. Just make sure the mind is up for the challenge first though.
  • Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

I phased out over the course of months....ONLY smoke rollups as there loads less chemicals to be addicted to. Work days I started with no smoking before 8am....1 week later 9am, then 1030am...later no smaoking before lunch.....then it became easy to control when I smoked....eg. one in the afternoon then a couple in the evening....then it was just a weekend 'treat'....then one day... stopped! Never looked back and still get a wheez after a long ride to remind me to stay away!!!

Alternativly Id reccomend you check out electronic cigs. No word of a lie...they're amazing! Have work collegues who's been on 30-40cigs for years, tried patches and everything to no avail. Then one day got a special offer on a starter pack of skycigs. They charge by usb, look like the real deal and give you nicotine through vapor so you get every sensation of actually smoking!!!They're still on them 6months later...I asked last week, any 'normal' fags?...nope, only when the batteries ran out and no usb available to charge (once)!
    I actually tried one and coughed....was truly shocked....was like actually, really smoking!!!!

Advantages are many.....theyre cheaper...just buy refills, no huge taxes added......they can be smoked indoors (not actually smoke/smoking, so legal!....(my mate Loved pulling one out on a ryanair flight to Ibiza!!!)....theyre LOADS healthier/better for riding (no actual smoke damaging your lungs etc) ...no smell whatsoever....when you feel the 'need', you pull one out then two drags later it can be put back in its pack (easier to phase out as per previous advice)...no horribly messages/pictures on the cool matt black pack!

Disadvantages....they're not actually bad for your health (i think) so giving them up totally could be hard....I was VERY tempted to buy some despite not smoking for years.

I can only recommed skycigs as my mates at work were so adament they're the best....not even seen any alternatives but I'd say that they seemed bang on!

Good luck whatever you decide!
  • Got into road cycling 'proper' last year, aged 16.

My parents bought me a Raleigh Race bike which is a good, reliable steed. I did my first sportive last year (loved it!) and I want to build up my endurance to be able to do more/longer ones next year.
  • Stuuu
    Stuuu Posts: 46

I re-started cycling on my 15 year old mountain bike a year ago, when I realised I wasn't as fit as I thought I was. I've always been fairly active in some way, but when you lose fitness gradually over 10 years you don't notice the change so much. :?

I'm going to pick up a Giant Defy 3 at the weekend and see how I take to my first road bike in 25 years. :shock:
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Another for 40 ......and I got diabetes for my 40th birthday, but after changing my eating and getting on the road I am 5 stone lighter and fitter than I ever was.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I'm 49 and I have been thinking about it for a couple of years. I used to ride a road bike regularly until I went to University and until I had children I was pretty fit but the demands of parenthood and having young children with little stamina meant I haven't taken much exercise for the last decade. i haven't turned into a fat git but I am nowhere near as fit as I used to be.

Two of my children have started cycling on their own initiative in the last couple of months and they are really keen to go on family bike rides. My wife uses an exercise bike but that is no fun and when one of my colleagues mentioned the Cycle to Work scheme I decided I couldn't resist the lure of a half price bike.

I have to admit though, that watching the TDF and Olympics did nothing to put me off.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Thebigbee wrote:

Cheers

I gave up 14 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. In my case, I just had a sudden epiphany on the way to work one morning (coughing as usual) and realised that I was going to kill myself for nothing if I carried on. I promised myself there and then that I would never smoke another cigarette again and 14 years later, I haven't and I know I never shall.

I think it is all down to motivation. If you have children, imagine them standing around your grave before they even grow up. If you don't, look at a picture of what your lungs probably look like and imagine dying horribly when you are 55 rather than in your sleep as a fit 85 year old.

I made my choice and I have stuck with it and, unsurprisingly, feel much better for it. It wasn't easy but I'm not special, if I did it, so can anyone else.
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    edited March 2013
    Spent the last few days reading through this thread and found it very inspiring. This is my excuse...

And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?
    I'm nearly 36. 6ft4/13st. Pretty fit other than a few long term injuries.

I think it was an alignment of the stars or something. My obsession for the last 7 years has been Kendo, with 3-4 practices a week I've obtained 3rd dan... However, I suffered a wrist injury in Jan which was recently diagnosed as a TFCC tear (cartilage). This has meant no kendo from July'12 to Jan '13 (undergoing physio) and a real risk I may have to jack it in. Result: a massive hole in my life (Kendo was my life!).

Just as I was receiving this bad news I got into watching the TdF and Olympics which prompted me (and a few mates) to take the plunge and buy a road bike. I admit, i'm a massive victim of national bandwagon jumping and MAMIL activity :| Nevertheless, this new hobby had softened the blow and my obsession has shifted from the dojo to hitting the road. I've really enjoyed the last few months of ticking off the miles in both rain and shine..... i've since cycled from London to Brighton and 'enjoyed' box hill a few times.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Only a nail if you dont like it.
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    zx6man wrote:
    Only a nail if you dont like it.

I luuuurve it :)
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    Age 26 - Reasons for getting started:

1) Olympic inspiration
    2) Improve my fitness / loose weight
    3) I've used a fixed exercise bike for many years but have found this very boring, a road bike seemed like the natural next step
    4) Potentially use it for commuting, although the traffic is going to be a challenge

After finishing secondary school in 2002, I gained a few lbs but started using a fixed exercise bike when I was 17/18 pretty much every day, doing 40-50 minute workouts on the bike + using a home weight machine. Over that year I lost five stone in weight. Since that time I've maintained usage of the fixed exercise bike, generally using it 2-3 times a week and doing some core strength stuff. I'm aiming to loose a stone over the next year and maintain a very high level of fitness, getting married in 2014 so need to be in good shape ;)

I may go even further and have dabble with getting in shape for a triathlon, but we'll see about that :)

Bought a Boardman Road Team bike this September, along with associated accessories. Started off with 6.5 mile cycles, increased to 13 mile, then 18 mile. I completed two 18 mile rides last weekend , I'm attempting to up the distance to 27 miles on Saturday and depending how I feel Sunday, will try it again Sunday also! I'm using MapMyRide my log maps and workouts, my profile: http://www.mapmyride.com/profile/23223555/

Bike details: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team.html

The Boardman bike to me seems good, I looked at lots of bikes but decided this was a good all round spec without spending way over £1000, which for my first bike would have been a difficult to justify. But happy to say I'm loving it so far, even when it's been 4 degrees in the mornings! I'm interested in joining a local club and / or convincing some colleagues to take it up now!
  • 43 here. Been riding MTB's for years, but keep it old school (currently steel Cove hardtail). Decided to get a road-bike last year as wanted to get more miles in, get my cardio up and lose some lard, and acquired an end-of-line Caad 10 105 which is great. So, am now a baggies clad, peaked-helmeted roadie at the weekends! The MTB still gets some use but most riding is now on the road-bike and I am looking to have a go at some Sportif's (65 miler this weekend - hoping the rain stays off).

I cycle so I don't get tube rage anymore. I used to be in to MTBs in my late teens & now have my self a road bike (Specialized Dolce Elite) which I thoroughly enjoy! Did my first 50 miler in the pouring rain recently & loved it. Already seeing & feeling the benifits of my daily commute. Cycling keeps me sane!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike

First time father at 50, diagnosed with mild hypertension last year, decided I wanted to make sure I was still around when my daughter is 56.
    Now lost over a stone in weight, blood pressure back to normal, need to take the next step and get fit again.

Just bought one of the bargain Wiggle GT GTR Series 3 for £450 over the weekend, can't wait.
    GT GTR Series 3
    Hard pounding, gentlemen. Let's see who pounds the longest.
    Pour la canaille: Faut la mitraille.
  • ar24
    ar24 Posts: 17

Always been interested in cycling and have followed it for years. Basketball player at heart but tendonitis in my knees usually always gets the better of me. Cycling for pure enjoyment and to rehab my knees a bit. 4 weeks in and my knees feel a little easier.

Might look to compete in some local races next year or join a club!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242

Have always had an MTB of some description. DOne alot of miles over the last year. The first step onto the slippery slope was buying some padded lycra undershorts. I just love the feeling against my skin. ;)

My 2013 Trek Madone 2.3 arrives this week! Yippee!

Always been a spectator of road cycling but a few months ago i thought 'why not'!

Looking to do charity runs and personal goals.

:P
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    26, just taken delivery of my giant tcr composite 3 and started to enjoy lycra, still not shaving my legs yet even if the hairs that stick through the bib legs make me want to vomit :)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • 37. done some mountain biking before and liked it but my mate that i went with moved and i couldnt be bothered. but saw the tour de france n olympics and decided that when i got back on shoreleave i was getting a road bike. Went to the spesh shop with 700 quid but spent 1500 instead on a Spesh Roubaix sport Comp 2013. Just got them in the week before. Doing about a hundred miles a week when im home and loving it. Its an expensive hobby though.
    Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
    with....gears of war.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    started mainly for healthe and fitness and after 6 weeks have the bug..

i have a virtuoso ltd but already looking for replacement for my 50th in april..will just keep going over winter with a goal to doing my first 100 a year from when i started.

longest ride so far is 27miles at 14.5 average...hopefully plan to do a 50 on my 50th on my new bike..
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I went for a 10 mile bike ride 3 months ago (inc a pub stop) on my mountain bike that had been stuck in the garage for years, the lads I went with were on similar bikes to me but they tend to actually use theirs regularly commuting to work etc, well the ride nearly killed me! I was that bad the lads took it in turns in pushing me home. :oops:
    What I couldn't understand at the time was why someone like me a quite fit 37 year old who ran 10 miles twice a week couldn't keep up with the others who were roughly the same age as me but certainly not as fit or so I thought, I soon realised that cycling is a total different type of fitness and the minor embarrassment I suffered only inspired me.
    Over the next few weeks I went out on my own building up my fitness and It wasn't that long before I was managing 10 miles comfortably and eventually I was starting to enjoy it, then the Olympics came along and for the first time in my life I watched some road racing and was instantly hooked.
    I recently bought my first race bike a giant defy 1 and I am absolutely loving it i'm now doing 35 - 40 miles each time now and i'm going to join a local club in the coming weeks, It's probably the wrong time of year to start just before winter but you've got to start sometime I suppose, I can't afford an indoor trainer so i'l stick to my mountain bike during the winter.
    My goal now is to like previous posters complete some sportive's next year I just wish now having recently turned 38 i'd discovered road bikeing years ago.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Some very inspiring and funny posts recently.

Am wondering if wearing lycra without embarrassment is the point you have reached the "point of no return" and actually "pass the puberty" of becoming a cyclist?!!

I used to be so anti - lycra but have found myself purchasing a disproportionate amount of "cycling specific" clothing recently. Although I have to admit that my lycra undershorts http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-padded-undershorts-2011/ do me for most of my needs!

I would also have to advise anyone who is considering shaving their legs and other body hair not to. From what I have learnt the ONLY reason the pros do this is to avoid friction and ease physio and massages post ride. It is nothing to do with increased aerodynamics as is often thought!

Of course - I may be wrong but my Mrs likes me manly and hairy. And that's much more important than shaving a few hundredths of a second off my speed!

Just a consideration. Thanks again for all the replies - really interesting and informative. Cycling is now so big in this country. As The Fast Show said - "It's brilliant"!

A very interesting documentary on the drugs cheating - if you can get past "Chappers" who always annoyed me on Chris Moyles but still - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngqxd

Have been running for a few years in a futile attempt to keep the weight off, but my knees were slowly disintegrating. Doc told me that I was old enough to go and spend stupid money on a bike so I did.

Happily riding my Cube Agree GTC Pro now. Have been out for the last 4 weekends, 54 miles today from Bristol to Chepstow and can actually see the weight going. Best thing I have ever done.
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    And what are your reasons for picking the sport up?

Also what cylcling / exercise / fitness history do you have?

Finally what bike have you bought / now use?

Interested to know your thoughts - answer as many as you want and give as much history as you want.

Cheers

Bigbee

Picked up the sport after stopping with smoking and putting almost 4 stone on in weight.
    I try to cycle about 3 times per week, with one (for me...) long ride of about 35 - 40 miles at the weekend.
    There is no exercise history really other than going to the gym until about 5 years ago (but have started that as well again).
    For now I have bought a £240 pound bike from Amazon, but since I like cycling I will be upgrading after the winter to a specialized or similar.
    And my age?? That's 47 :-)
  • Gun9
    Gun9 Posts: 1
    Hi i'm 44 and just ordered a Tacyhon 3.0 flat bar roadie for £292!!!!! what a bargain i think :D i used to own a mtb it was 15 yrs old , heavy and broken so its gone in the bin.

i plan to get fit and lose weight.I will be riding through the winter :D