How old are the newbies to road cycling?

Comments

• wytco0
    wytco0 Posts: 79
    Hi All, I just found this thread.
    I am 53 Very overweight and pretty unfit, I want to lose some weight and in addition to changing my diet I have decided to buy a road bike. I live in Norfolk which seems like an ideal place to start road biking. I have ridden a hybrid for a few years off and on but its not very comfortable and its not very good.
  • Hi all,

Im now 32 and like most people on here I used to cycle when I was younger and over the last 10 years have let my fitness levels slip. Ive tried the gym, running and BMF all of which did not leave me wanting to go back for more. Cycling is the only activity that I can do day after day without loosing interest. So I am hoping to improve fitness by commuting each day with the intent to do some longer rides at the weekend.

I picked up my new Cannondale Synapse Alloy Tiagra yesterday and so far im loving it. :D
  • alxce
    alxce Posts: 12
    I have just turned 60 and used to do a lot of road biking in my teens/twenties but then lapsed until I got an MTB while living in the U.S. That was ten years ago and it didn't get an awful lot of use to be honest. Over the last year I have had both knees completely replaced so got back on the MTB to help build all the muscles back up and found myself enjoying it so much I decided it would be a good idea to get back on a road bike.
    I have been doing about 10 miles daily on the MTB so I was thinking this is good training for the road bike and have to admit a little added impetus came from both TDF and the Olympic velodrome. I used to be pretty fit and was a regular at a gym but dropped that a couple of years back hoping that other things would compensate. Subsequent weight gains and a general feeling of not fit for purpose show that to be a myth, although I would hold up three years with knackered knees as a partial excuse.

After extensive research, exhaustive spec/price comparisons and an education on modern bikes I picked up a Giant Defy Composite 2 last Friday and I am absolutely loving it. Saturday morning I took it out for the first time and 16 miles later I felt like I had been transported back in time about forty years. Just waiting for my shoes to arrive and will then be learning cleats all over again. I really hope the shoes have improved because the last ones I had (many decades ago) made it feel like the cleat was trying to bore a hole in your foot once you stepped off the bike. It's my lasting memory of them along with falling off a few times!

Update 17/8.
    Shoes arrived, SPDs installed and tested on driveway for safe exit. Turns out I have a tendency to unclip my left foot first which made me feel comfortable from the outset as I drive off with the right. Just been out for a 12 mile test run and deliberately included lots of junctions etc., where I knew unclipping might be necessary. It's a lot like driving a car really, you just have to focus on anticipating what comes next. Do that and the foot is out before you get into trouble. Have a little soreness from the right knee but that was the one replaced end of May and still needs a little hardening up. Need a longer run to determine if the SPD needs adjusting.

Great to be back :D:D
  • CostaC
    CostaC Posts: 1
    I'm new to this... no excuse I know!

I turned 60 a few months ago, but have had a love for bikes since at school with my first, a Claud Butler racer. I lived in Canada for a while and rode a Peugeot there. Now I am retired I've decided to treat myself to a really "good bike" and my local Giant Dealer at Cannock Chase has got me interested in A Defy Composite 2. So, I like others, am waiting for Giant's 2013 stock to arrive. I would retain by Raleigh MTB for shopping and when the weather is bad.

Is the Defy Composite 2 a good choice, or are there other sportif bikes as good at that price point or better value... e.g Ribble Evo Pro Carbon, and would it be worth the risk of buying online?

Any help would be appreciated, ta.
  • DipLloyd
    DipLloyd Posts: 23
    22 here. Been wanting to take up cycling for years but haven't been able to as saving up for a wedding has virtually bankrupted me :( . However my step-father sold me his salvaged raleigh road cycle from the 80's. of which he found in a skip :shock:.

Only been on a few rides but I'm always itching to go out for one now :D
  • Sentral
    Sentral Posts: 64
    I'm 24 and been riding fixed road bike for the last 4 months. I used to be a little obsessed with Dirt jumping and street when I was younger, rode a little BMX whilst at uni and now 'grown up' to road cycling, purchasing a Ribble sportive bianco in the next week or so. :)
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb Posts: 159
    im 27 and just bought my first roadie
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    37 today, just finishing my first road bike build, was heavily into Skyway BMX bikes in the 80's and then in the 90's i had one MTB which i used to commute

Sort of why i chose a Riser Bar instead of a racing handle bar for the bike
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Hi all.

I'm 41 and though I did cycling in my younger days, including the use of a 6 speed racer (can't remember the brand, it was green lol) back when I was 16 in the Lake District. That was fairly tough.

I finally decided I needed to stop sitting around bored all evening, so dragged out the hybrid I bought 3 years ago and I'm getting out on it and using it for some commuting. I was so out of shape, but improvement has been very fast and the waistline is coming under control again :)

I'm saving up for a new road bike to leave the hybrid for commuting and some touring, got my eye on the Trek 1.5. The hybrid is a Trek Soho 1.0, so I like the brand, it fits me well.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    edited August 2012
    How old are newbies..
    An interesting question, for me I am or will be 61 in October this year..
    I did of course have a bike when I was younger but started riding motor bikes at the age of 12 so bicycles seemed to have been left behind..
    But now I am retiring from motorbike and I need to get fitter, so here I am.. :)
  • Hello from another road cycling newbie, a 36 year old noob!

Just recently got back into cycling in the last 3-4 months. I have a Giant MTB that I use for scooting around the local paths, but fancied getting a road bike and using it for longer runs and commuting a few days a week.

Applied for a beginners road bike using the cyclescheme at work, so just waiting on them getting back to me, hopefully I'll be riding my B'twin Triban 3 from Decathlon soon enough. (If I don't get it through the scheme I'll just buy it myself)

Had a few BMX's in my youth, then got a Raleigh Masif MTB when I was about 16 which I had for about 10 years, met the wife and I fell away from using the bike for a couple of years, got the bug again in about 2005 and got my Giant MTB which I love. First child came along and just ate up most of my free time, then the 2nd one came and I was left with no time for cycling (or any excercise to be honest) so my beloved bike was left in the shed for about 5 years.

The boys aren't babies any more, and we're getting a bit more time to ourselves, so I got the bike out again early this year and started out with a few runs along the canal path and got the bug again, bike is starting to show it's age a bit so decided to get something new. Started reading up to see what I fancied, and probably watching the TDF and Olympics this year has swayed me towards getting my first ever road bike.

Looking forward to getting out on the roads, trying to talk my dad into getting one too, his MTB is even older than mine!
  • Brava210
    Brava210 Posts: 64
    Just bought my first cheap road bike, Carrera TDF £270.
    Just to see how I get on with it.
    I have been riding MTB on road for approx 7 years to keep fit as I am type 1 Diabetic
    I am now 44
    Looking to upgrade soon to a Boardman or Carbon Carrera
    Boardman Pro Carbon (Nowt wrong with Boardman)
    Boardman Team Hybrid
    (I need to lose weight)
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    As of a week Monday I'm 34.

I used to ride all the time as a kid and used to ride ino uni all the time, I went to Sheffield so not exactly flat!!! When I started work I used to ride my old 'racer' to work but soon replaced it with a hybrid. I did that for 5 years till I changed jobs and ended up with a 45 mile commute each way, so the bike was no longer an option. I've played a very high standard of cricket all my life, but this has caused me some serious knee problems, which means anything mid to high impact is out for me. So I've returned to my bike to try and shed some of the weight that I've put on. I've been riding my hybrid but I am anxiously waiting on the arrival of my Orbea Aqua TTG that my redundancy money has paid for so I can get some proper road mileage in. Unfortunately my new job still involves a 30 mile commute, so I've been mainly going out after the kids are in bed, as I'd rather be out riding than watching junk on the tv.

Andy
  • WarrenT
    WarrenT Posts: 13
    I'm 33 and just bought my 1st road bike 2 weeks ago. Been cycling to work for a few months to lose weight but that was on a MTB. Managed to lose 2 and a half stone. Then decided that I really enjoyed it and wanted to get into it a bit more. Now I'm cycling everyday and not just to work. I'm absolutely loving it and wondering why I never did this earler in life. I have now signed up to do London to Paris next July for Action Medical Research. Getting more involved in cycling and buying a road bike is definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • 964rh
    964rh Posts: 72
    I'm 40 and just picked up my first road bike since I was 14 (Lovely, shiny Kuono Korsa)

Been dabbling with MTB for the past couple of years with a Carrera Fury but I don't have the time to go very often so I've added a road bike to my shed so I can keep up with the Mrs when we go out together.

1st ride happened last night after collecting it and having a fit and really enjoyed it, even wore the Lycra without baggy MTB shorts and top!!
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    Judging by the others posting on this page i'm obviously a youngun!

I'm 26, bought a Trek Alpha 1.1 from a mate for £125 to get me going with the road cycling, and I'm hooked! I've racked up 150 miles in my first week, and booked on to the 54 mile London To Brighton in September too, with a view to do longer distances in the future

Already wanting to upgrade the bike as at 6ft3 a 58cm frame seems a bit small, and having ridden a mates lightweight trainer I have a need for carbon and the like!
  • Geraint9
    Geraint9 Posts: 26
    I've just ordered my first ride bike (a Felt F95), I'm 32.

Too many injuries have retired me from rugby and football, so this is my new 'thing'.

Been into mountain biking for a bit though, but road is completely new! Excited!
  • First of all, Hi :D

First post on this forum so nice to meet you all.

I am 20 year old living in bonnie Fife. Got into cycling through my overly enthusiastic dad which all he cares about is his bikes :lol: Managed to persuade me to go and buy myself a road bike since i no longer play football with my local Sunday league team. I bought myself a nice reasonable priced bike which goes by the name of "Giant Defy 4". This is a cracking bike, I only bought this around 2 weeks ago so not done too much on it yet. But from what I have done its been superb, everything with it from looks, handling, comfort, its great. Biggest ride I've done so far was a 40 miler...i felt it when i arrived back home, maybe too much for my first time but it was great, loved it.

Anyway so yeah, thats enough of me now.
    Cya!
  • Avant
    Avant Posts: 29
    Hi Everyone,

Im 32, from Chichester and started road cycling in May.

Before starting a family most of my free time and (almost) all of my free cash went into mixed gas scuba diving, this ended after marrage and a newborn so I needed to find something else kit intensive in immerse myself into.

I try and get in a 40 - 50 miler each weekend and weather and time permitting a 20 miler mid-weekm hoping to get a 10 mile TT in before the end of the year.

I have been enjoying the arguements on here regarding kit snobbery and elitism - just be thankfull certification agencies dont exist in the cycling world like they do in diving!
  • I'm 24 and don't drive, so cycling and public transport are how I get about. I used to enjoy cycling when I was a kid, and commuted back and forth to uni regularly on an old steel frame Orange mountain bike inherited from my brother.

Two years ago I started a new job and had a massive four mile commute, which I was doing using a cheap ass Apollo from Halfrauds. I'd even kitted it out with slick tyres to make it a bit faster, but I was still pushing the highest gear 90% of the time and felt like I was going backwards.

After watching the TdF and Olympics I talked myself into getting a proper road bike, settling on a Boardman Road Race. I'd rather not have gone to Halfrauds again, but I really like the bike and got a good deal on it and some bits and bobs.

A week later and I've done over 130 miles and absolutely loving it. Can't wait to get out this weekend for a properly long ride. I'm considering joining a local club, and maybe entering some sportives next year.
  • DWFuego
    DWFuego Posts: 2
    Im 29 and got bored of running and inspired by the TdF at the same time.

Best decision I ever made to by my bike. Not ridden for about 13-14 years so it took awhile to get back into it. Had one spill but nothing big.

I ended up getting a Dawes Giro 300. In my well considered opinion an awesome bit of kit for the money...

I ride to work most days and do a long ride at the weekends. I can honestly say riding uphill into a headwind is the hardest thing Ive ever done, my legs were in bits the next day.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    I'm 24, from the south of London and currently participate in no sport.

That is, however, about to change. I have a fairly good background of competing in a variety of sports, particularly athletics. I use to eat, sleep, and drink running. I was part of a very good running club in South London for a few years and I absolutely loved every minute of it. Running was not just a hobby, it was a way of life. I would compete in cross country events in the winter before moving onto the track and field events during the summer. Other commitments later in life forced me ease away from the sport and as a result after 3 years away from running, all my ability has vanished. However, my memories remain and I want to replicate that if not better it with a new sport - cycling!

I will never underestimate how gruelling competitive cycling can get, but I relish the challenge of it.
  • mattyuk
    mattyuk Posts: 8
    Hi all, Im 22 from Carlisle, Cumbria.
    Ive always been into bikes, and over the years watching the Tour on the telly was tempting to get myself a proper road bike. This years Tour and the Olympics finally pushed me, and I bought a Trek 1.1 on Saturday.
    At the moment, I really just will be doing 10milers to get into the feel of it again.
    Eventually though, Id love to join a club.
  • I'm 21 currently in Glasgow. I've been fascinated by cycling for a few years particularly Le Tour last year and this year. Have been cycling for over a year and absolutely love it. Would love to get involved in cycling holidays, following the Tour or participate in Marmotte.
  • 23, been into mountain biking biking all my life but have decided to give road cycling a go, buying my first road bike today from leisure lakes in Bury, Specialized Allez
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    mattyuk wrote:
    Ive always been into bikes, and over the years watching the Tour on the telly was tempting to get myself a proper road bike. This years Tour and the Olympics finally pushed me, and I bought a Trek 1.1 on Saturday.
    At the moment, I really just will be doing 10milers to get into the feel of it again.
    Hi from another Carlisle rider!

Border City Wheelers is right on our doorstep so to speak, I'm thinking of joining them too once I get up to speed and get a full road bike.

If you fancy a workout, take a ride to Armathwaite via Cotehill. I did that yesterday and my legs don't like me anymore after the climbs :shock:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • micky72
    micky72 Posts: 1
    hi i,m 39. i ,ve always loved riding my old peugeot mountain bike but some friends got road bikes. currently riding a giant defy 2(2012) on the roads and just treat myself to a saracen tufftrax disc comp MTB . i try to ride 30/40 mins in a morning pre work and squeeze in a couple of longer rides through the week or weekend
  • I'm 33 , awaiting my bike arriving , had to purchase from halfords via cycle to work , went for boardman comp , done sport all my life , had to quit rugby and with that lost gym motivation so I'm hoping cycling breeds some life back into me :lol:
  • mattyuk
    mattyuk Posts: 8
    Mikey41 wrote:
    mattyuk wrote:
    Hi from another Carlisle rider!

Border City Wheelers is right on our doorstep so to speak, I'm thinking of joining them too once I get up to speed and get a full road bike.

If you fancy a workout, take a ride to Armathwaite via Cotehill. I did that yesterday and my legs don't like me anymore after the climbs :shock:

Hi there! They seem like a decent bunch mate. I done my first ride today (probably woeful to everyone else) but it was around 10 miles. Loved it, especially the way back downhill!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'm forty as of june this year. really enjoying my return to cycling (since 2003) and finally got a decent bike. am buzzing round richmond park 3=4 times a week and loving it.