Ms DDD 30th

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Which Ireland is the safe one North or Republic?

Which is the one everyone likes? I think its Republic - in that the accent doesn't sound angry.

Where? Her family are from Tipperary is that nice?

Funny how we live in the same UK but have no idea about each others backgrounds, culture and experience.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Roughly two thirds of the population are from a Unionist Protestant background and want that situation to remain. The other third are Catholic Nationalist and want to be reunited in a single Ireland with the Republic of Ireland.

In Northern Ireland we shot each other and your soliders for about 40 years...we called it the Troubles...then people got fed up and decided to call it a draw ( with the exception of some 'head the balls')

Northern Ireland is safer than any major city in England

Northern Ireland uses the British Pound and everyone speaks English. We are really friendly but sound like we are arguing. Big Jim McDonald (Corrie) is a slighty exaggerated version/

Places I'd recommend in Northern Ireland. The Slieve Donard in Newcastle Co Down. Nice scenery, nice hotel reasonable prices (probably cheaper than that London)

Republic of Ireland has been an independent country since 1922. They use the Euro. Prices can be very dear.

The main tourist areas are Donegal (which is further North than Northern Ireland), Wicklow, Kerry (Kilarney), Galway and Dublin.

Wicklow is probably your best spot as you'll fly into Dublin.

Everybody likes Ireland both North and South.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    TWH wrote:
    A long time ago ITB posted a link to a castle somewhere in Ireland which he described as the place to go in Ireland.....that's your place. Go there and she'll say yes!

*Paging ITB

Dude aren't you Irish. Can't you recommend me a place?

I need somewhere which is slow, chilled, where we can relax, very little walking, beautiful open air and good food.

Yes Richmond Park is a good contender and there are many places in England. But Ireland would be nice.

I would have thought pretty much anywhere rural in Ireland is going to be fairly relaxed - certainly compared with central London. And decent grub shouldn't be difficult to find. For scenery, does she like heights?.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    ...Edit: And, of course, Edinburgh is a great place to visit.

+1: Four and a half hours by train; compact, lots to see & do, great pubs, food, long evenings in June, good chance of fair weather but relatively quiet (pre school holidays & Edinburgh festival mayhem). Plenty of opportunities for day-trips, if you want to get out & about a bit more... One of the world's great destinations, almost on your doorstep :-)

If you're interested in following up the proposal line I can point you to a jeweller that'll sell you rings with an Edinburgh hallmark... The perfect memory of the perfect weekend!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.

Me personally, if I was travelling for that amount of time I'd want to end up somewhere better than scotland.

Blasphemy!! There is not a place on Earth (well not too many) better than the North West coast of Scotland. The stunning views of the Old Caledonian Pine Forests along the banks of Loch Maree as you travel north from the majestic mountains of Torridon will make you stop your car/bike, and fall to you knee's weeping with the sheer joy of the scenery.

It is hard to take in just how fantastically beautiful it is.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I didn't understand a word of it until:
    Republic of Ireland has been an independent country since 1922. They use the Euro. Prices can be very dear.

Now it all makes sense, and I mean all of it even the conversations I have with Ms DDD's family where I nod in approval despite not having a clue what they're talking about.

Thanks.

Still no clearer as to where to go but all this helps, thanks.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    TWH wrote:
    A long time ago ITB posted a link to a castle somewhere in Ireland which he described as the place to go in Ireland.....that's your place. Go there and she'll say yes!

*Paging ITB

Dude aren't you Irish. Can't you recommend me a place?

I need somewhere which is slow, chilled, where we can relax, very little walking, beautiful open air and good food.[/quote]

I have 4 kids, how often do you think I go on romantics breaks?

If your going to NI - Slieve Donard Co Down

If your going to Donegal - Harveys Point

There are 100's of hotels and B&Bs to chose from - try here for inspiration

http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Cheers!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whats not to understand? That was the clearest explanation of 'the troubles' I've ever heard.
    I wonder if CBeebies do a programme about Ireland. -veD may just about be able to understand that.

If you are marrying into an Irish family, I think you should at least have a rudimentary understanding of the history. Partly to avoid putting your foot in it at family gatherings, partly so that you don't look like a fool.

Take your head out of the comics and learn a little history.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whats not to understand? That was the clearest explanation of 'the troubles' I've ever heard.
    I wonder if CBeebies do a programme about Ireland. -veD may just about be able to understand that.

If you are marrying into an Irish family, I think you should at least have a rudimentary understanding of the history. Partly to avoid putting your foot in it at family gatherings, partly so that you don't look like a fool.

Harsh but fair.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    +1 for the Slieve Donard. But then I play golf and go walking.Not sure it's 100% your thing otherwise.
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Harsh but fair.

I don't think so.

I think it assumes too much but I can't be bothered to argue.

1). Ms DDD's Dad's family is from Ireland. I do not think she would consider herself Irish.

2). It is not an component of our relationship to expect either party to know real intimate details of each others cultural history. These are things that can be learnt over time as long as each party is willing and that works for us.

3). History is huge and while I do not know much about Irelands woes there are other aspects of history that I know intimately that even surpasses my mighty and near-limitless comic book knowledge.

4). Peeps need to chill I was mostly being obnoxious for personal enjoyment sake.

5). Traditionally I'm sure it is the Woman who marries into the Man's family.... What with taking the Man's last name and all.

Slieve Donard seems to be popping up a lot in my Internet searches so I shall do more investigation.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    I get that Mrs -ve D doesn't consider herself Irish and there is no reason for the two of you to know "real intimate details of each others cultural history". You are in a relationship with each other, not each other's cultural history. Maybe the potential banana-skin family gathering I forsee will never happen.

I bow down to you in all matters comic book related. If I ever have a comic book related question, you are, without doubt, my go to guy. If you know more about any other subject than you do about comics, I would probably bow down to you there too.
    History is a massive subject and no-one can know everything, but what TWH wrote was simple, concise and as plain as plain could be. I don't understand how you couldn't understand.

You are not an unintelligent person (even if you do watch The Only Way Is Essex), but what you said about not understanding TWH's potted history of Ireland makes you seem as thick as two short planks. Maybe replacing Catholic Nationalists with Romulans, Unionist Protestants with Vulcans, British Army with Federation etc would have made it easier for you to get a handle on?

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I get that Mrs -ve D doesn't consider herself Irish and there is no reason for the two of you to know "real intimate details of each others cultural history". You are in a relationship with each other, not each other's cultural history. Maybe the potential banana-skin family gathering I forsee will never happen.

It (cultural differences, misunderstanding, known unknowns) happen in all relationships. It's how you deal with it and whether either party shows willing to see the others perspective on the issue. One thing I love about Ms DDD is that she is actually incredibly culturally aware.
    I bow down to you in all matters comic book related. If I ever have a comic book related question, you are, without doubt, my go to guy. If you know more about any other subject than you do about comics, I would probably bow down to you there too.
    There was one guy, went by the name Hyperion, who knew far far more than I ever could about comics. But thank you.

(Secretly I'm little boy excited about the Thor movie. From what I've seen it looks like it could be the most true-to-the-comic comic based movie by Marvel. However, they've included the Destroyer armor and Odin created that to fight the Celestials and I doubt that they will have time to explain the Celestial in full as that ties in with the evolution of Man from a proto-species of human and that's just too big a deal as it then would lead onto Eternals and Deviants and that's a whole other aspect of the Marvel Universe - please ask.... The upcoming Green Lantern movie is being complained about on various comic book websites but DC comic movies have been so good I can't see them getting that wrong. )
    History is a massive subject and no-one can know everything, but what TWH wrote was simple, concise and as plain as plain could be. I don't understand how you couldn't understand.
    You are of course right about that and probably with hindsight I could have been a little less flipant about TWH's explanation. It was concise and clear and did understand it. But that sentence about the Republic of Ireland did offer a moment of clarity and it was at that point that I completely understood his entire post.
    You are not an unintelligent person (even if you do watch The Only Way Is Essex)

The Only Way Is Essex is car crash TV but it is proper addicitive. Give it one episode, once the natural annoyance that your intelligence is being insulted subsides its actually quite good. A little like X-factor.
    Maybe replacing Catholic Nationalists with Romulans, Unionist Protestants with Vulcans, British Army with Federation etc would have made it easier for you to get a handle on?

Actually it would though a better association would be Jedi/Sith (lets remove evil from the Sith) in that there was a religous split and both sides are fighting for the Galaxy (a piece of land) coming under their rule. Or something like that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    All good points above apart from The Only Way Is Essex.

I can't watch crap TV so X Factor, Britains Got Talent, The Only Way Is Essex etc are a no-no for me. I don't like to insult or write of something I have no experience of, so I've given these programmes a few minutes of my life, but I just can not stand them.
    I will never be so bored that programmes like that are a good idea for whiling away an hour or so.

Each to their own I guess.

• DonDaddyD
    I hated The Only Way is Essex, but then I realised that I liked hating it, I still hate it. I like hating it. I watch it to hate it. Now I like it. That's how they get you.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Harsh but fair.

I don't think so.

I think it assumes too much but I can't be bothered to argue.

1). Ms DDD's Dad's family is from Ireland. I do not think she would consider herself Irish.

2). It is not an component of our relationship to expect either party to know real intimate details of each others cultural history. These are things that can be learnt over time as long as each party is willing and that works for us.

3). History is huge and while I do not know much about Irelands woes there are other aspects of history that I know intimately that even surpasses my mighty and near-limitless comic book knowledge.

4). Peeps need to chill I was mostly being obnoxious for personal enjoyment sake.

5). Traditionally I'm sure it is the Woman who marries into the Man's family.... What with taking the Man's last name and all.

Slieve Donard seems to be popping up a lot in my Internet searches so I shall do more investigation.

You're right, I probably have assumed too much, but if you are going to be meeting more of Ms DDD's extended family it's useful to be at least aware that it's potentially a sensitive issue. It'll also earn a few brownie points if they are needed (when are they not?).

Oh, and have you asked her Dad yet? Are you going to? I seem to remember the general idea had been discussed. One of those things that people think is very old-fashioned and unnecessary until it's their daughter in question.

EDIT: Hyperion? What, in real life? If that's not your parents showing off I don't know what is.
    Yes, I know not in real life.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

You're right, I probably have assumed too much, but if you are going to be meeting more of Ms DDD's extended family it's useful to be at least aware that it's potentially a sensitive issue. It'll also earn a few brownie points if they are needed (when are they not?).

I've met the vast majority of her family. She's met mine. There aren't really any sensitive issues anymore.
    Oh, and have you asked her Dad yet? Are you going to? I seem to remember the general idea had been discussed. One of those things that people think is very old-fashioned and unnecessary until it's their daughter in question.

I couldn't imagiene asking a girl to marry me without first asking her Father, its just a matter of respect. There's more to come on this anyway... But yes I will do eventually.
    EDIT: Hyperion? What, in real life? If that's not your parents showing off I don't know what is.
    Yes, I know not in real life.

Hype, was a great guy. Real name Ted.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Real name Ted.

Well that's a bit of a let down.

Happy planning.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Maybe replacing Catholic Nationalists with Romulans, Unionist Protestants with Vulcans, British Army with Federation etc would have made it easier for you to get a handle on?

I know nothing about Star Trek so don't know wether or not to be offended
    Funny how we live in the same UK but have no idea about each others backgrounds, culture and experience.

Chill
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

No offence intended and I hope none is/could be taken.

• tailwindhome
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

No offence intended and I hope none is/could be taken.

I'm fine

Dr Spock's pi$$ed at you though.
  • EKE_38BPM
    [cliché]Live long and prosper, to be sure, to be sure.[/cliché]

• DonDaddyD
    It's Commander, Captain or Ambassador Spock! Depending on era. Sheesh!

:twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Here fishy fishy!

DDD wrote:
    Peeps need to chill I was mostly being obnoxious for personal enjoyment sake.

Hehe

Actually I thought it was MR Spock ...but there you go
  • DonDaddyD
    LOL!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Combing both your comments and the topic too...

128827764250045914.jpg
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • SpaceBadger
    SpaceBadger Posts: 113
    I'm a bit late to the party, and everything's moved on, but I would just like it on record that I am totally with LiTs on the Paris thing. Have made sure every bloke I've been with has been aware of my distaste for it just to make sure they don't ever arrange some well meaning but hideous 'romantic' trip there.
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Er, guys... birds 30th. Where's nice in this Country I'm thinking somewhere villagey with a cottage, good shops, restaurants where we can go for walks.

A little like where ITB, LiT and Linsen live....

Anywhere in Devon or Cornwall. Although don't come to Dartmouth, the house prices are in enough trouble as it is :wink::lol:

Port Isaac in Cornwall is well worth a visit and it's close to some of the North Cornwall surfing beaches if you wanted to treat her to some surfing lessons for fun.

Oh and top tip from a man who knows...never, I repeat NEVER remind her she's 30. I still bare the scars from my ex wife after making that mistake :shock:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I get that Mrs -ve D

Something's not right EKE. I don't think -ve D is the correct nomenclature.

I think of DDD as D cubed. Every D removed is like dividing by D, or dropping the index by 1. Presumably you got down to D, and he lost another one, so you invoked the -ve?

Well, diviiding D by D - or D to the power of 0 - gives 1, not -ve D.

If he should lose another D, he will become 1/D, then 1/DD etc.

Needed to get that out my system - back as you were......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I get that Mrs -ve D

I think of DDD as D cubed. Every D removed is like dividing by D, or dropping the index by 1. Presumably you got down to D, and he lost another one, so you invoked the -ve?

You could also say D to the -1 and so on... us mathematical types would know of which you talk

D minus cubed? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I get that Mrs -ve D

You could also say D to the -1 and so on... us mathematical types would know of which you talk

D minus cubed? :wink:

DDD is not D cubed, it's nothing to do with maths.

Think of it as stages in a transformation from one state to another.

Remove the D's and all you have is a chubby middle manager called Laurence.