Ms DDD 30th

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Any jewellery bought from a shop that has an actual first and last name is middle class and therefore well above the pitch of 'first piece of jewellery'.

Elizabeth Duke?

Ernest Jones?

Ernest Jones is the rich man's H.Samuel (note the lack of proper first name) and the poor man's Lesley Davis (all the same company Signet) hence middle class.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Dude, face it: you are middle class. Stop fighting it. :wink:

A silver bracelet from Oliver Bonas is going to be about £40ish - maybe £50 tops. There's plenty of room to scale up from there and still keep solvent.

As for the first name last name thing being middle class: Elizabeth Duke.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    rjsterry wrote:
    Dude, face it: you are middle class. Stop fighting it. :wink:

A silver bracelet from Oliver Bonas is going to be about £40ish - maybe £50 tops. There's plenty of room to scale up from there and still keep solvent.

As for the first name last name thing being middle class: Elizabeth Duke.

That was my thinking - she will know the rough price too.
  • DonDaddyD
    Yes, but its Jewellery

You can't go from £20 jewellery. To £40 perfume. It's not the price it's the significance of the gift.

And I don't mind being considered middle class. I don't think I am but people say I am so I must be. I don't see it as a bad thing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    You really do have a whole list of these 'rules'.

Have you ever considered going really crazy and mixing things up with, say:

Restaurant
    Chocolates and flowers
    Shoes
    Jewellery
    Dress
    Handbag
    Perfume
    Restaurant and theatre (maybe hotel) ?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    how long can you be with a burd before you buy her a, y'know, a helpful accessory for your long business trips away?

and what talk plan is best?
  • rjsterry
    how long can you be with a burd before you buy her a, y'know, a helpful accessory for your long business trips away?

:lol:

Well, I'd have to say 3 months might be a bit early for that, but some people do seem to do these things quicker than others.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    You really do have a whole list of these 'rules'.

Have you ever considered going really crazy and mixing things up with, say:

Restaurant
    Chocolates and flowers
    Shoes
    Jewellery
    Dress
    Handbag
    Perfume
    Restaurant and theatre (maybe hotel) ?

Well the list isn't exhaustive just acts as a guideline. I took Ms DDD to a hotel for her first birthday after we got together. We were 5 months in.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yes, but its Jewellery

You can't go from £20 jewellery. To £40 perfume. It's not the price it's the significance of the gift.

Rubbish - she's a burd - she will know that Oliver Bonas is decent constume jewellery and know exactly what the score is. She will also know in a couple of years time when the Tiffany comes out what that is.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @ clarkey cat - you are such a rosemantic person. Thanks for restoring my mood to 'good' this afternoon. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

:lol:

Well, I'd have to say 3 months might be a bit early for that, but some people do seem to do these things quicker than others.

Oh!!!!

smiley3.png

See my previous post.
    Food Chain number = 4

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Well the list isn't exhaustive just acts as a guideline. I took Ms DDD to a hotel for her first birthday after we got together. We were 5 months in.

Cradle snatcher! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Yeah, jewellery after three months is a bit much, frankly...

:shock:

I did jewellery after 3 months, 12 years later its still working for me...
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    7.50 on a plastic watch @ 4 months or so :D She loves it.

start low and give yourself time to go upwards gracefully...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • That travel time would get you in brussels via eurostar for same money if not less...

Yeah but why in God's name would you want to go to Brussels?

Bruge is quite close and some bits are nice :)

Ray: Bruges is a sh!thole.
    Ken: Bruges *is* not a sh!thole.
    Ray: Bruges *is* a sh!thole.
    Ken: Ray, we only just got off the fcuking train! Could we reserve judgement on Bruges until we've seen the fcuking place?

Get the proposal out of the way before the birthday. Otherwise it will hang over the whole day.

Perhaps you could squeeze in an Oxo Tower visit, and pop the question during that. Nothing like romance...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Bits of scotland are lovely, no doubt, but if you were travelling for 4.5 hours there are many better places you could go, probably more cheaply too, or stay a bit closer to home.

I stand by my ardent dislike of paris.

Scotland is a bit like Australia. Rubbish weather, they speak something that sounds vaguely like English but isn't, loads of unplesant wildlife (though midges aren't poisonous AFAIK), and they are lousy at cricket.

Seriously though, some of the most gorgeous scenery on the face of the earth, some lovely people, great food, great culture....oh, just like Australia, no doubt (I've never been down there & never will).

On the spa ideas, don't forget the Slovaks' former countrymen in the Czech Republic. Karlovy Vary is world-renowned. Prague's lovely despite the stag parties etc (apparently the Charles Bridge is very romantic at night or early in the morning...if I wasn't perpetually single I'd certainly agree), and Brno's supposed to be worth a visit too, without the disadvantages of the capital.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • clarkey cat
    she might feel a bit uncomfortable being proposed to while being taken up the oxo tower...? but if you get some drinks inside her she may feel a bit more relaxed - just make sure there are no cling-ons around to upset the romance.
  • BigMat wrote:
    Yeah, jewellery after three months is a bit much, frankly...

:shock:

I did jewellery after 3 months, 12 years later its still working for me...

Pearl necklaces don't count. Real jewellery only.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Now i'm very confused mrs itboffin assured me that jewellery only comes from Tiffany's or small unheard of boutiques :x

@LiT that place poo-land looks like a world war 2 prison camp, pan left to see the guard towers. 100 points if you can identify any of the items in the food pictures :shock:

What does a roasted side of baby leg look like?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    StuAff wrote:

Scotland is a bit like Australia. Rubbish weather... (I've never been down there & never will).

So well-informed then?
    StuAff wrote:

Prague's lovely despite the stag parties etc (apparently the Charles Bridge is very romantic at night or early in the morning...if I wasn't perpetually single I'd certainly agree), and Brno's supposed to be worth a visit too.

Is Brno Prague's answer to the Oxo Tower?

:D
  • stuaff
    StuAff wrote:

Scotland is a bit like Australia. Rubbish weather... (I've never been down there & never will).

So well-informed then?
    StuAff wrote:

Prague's lovely despite the stag parties etc (apparently the Charles Bridge is very romantic at night or early in the morning...if I wasn't perpetually single I'd certainly agree), and Brno's supposed to be worth a visit too.

Is Brno Prague's answer to the Oxo Tower?

:D

LiT hasn't been to Scotland, I haven't been to Oz. But my point was merely that they both have many attractions.
    Prague's got a tower already, btw ;)
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    This is Scotland....
    191.jpg

(where I proposed shortly after taking that photo)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    Yeah but your a photographer. I bet it doesn't look that nice through human eyes!
    Food Chain number = 4

• snooks wrote:
    This is Scotland....
    191.jpg

(where I proposed shortly after taking that photo)

Cunning. Bury her to her knees in sand for the proposal. Very hard to run away.

Like it. Always thinking, always one step ahead...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • stuaff
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yeah but your a photographer. I bet it doesn't look that nice through human eyes!

Well, you are human, right.........? :)
  • snooks
    Greg66 wrote:

I didn't even buy a ring :shock: I made it out of foil from a Kit Kat wrapper! :D

It's a long story, but she once said "The ring doesn't matter, it can be made of foil as long as you mean it"

Obviously the foil ring didn't last, so we had a real one hand made for her in Orkney ...When we got there.
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • clarkey cat
    whereabouts in scotland is that? its nice.
  • DonDaddyD
    snooks wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I didn't even buy a ring :shock: I made it out of foil from a Kit Kat wrapper! :D

It's a long story, but she once said "The ring doesn't matter, it can be made of foil as long as you mean it"

Obviously the foil ring didn't last, so we had a real one hand made for her in Orkney ...When we got there.
    Damn! That's sounds so romantic!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    There's plenty of suitable places a little nearer to South Wimbledon. Don't get too het up on it being the perfect location though. Anywhere with a nice view and a sunset in the background is going to set it off nicely.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• snooks
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Damn! That's sounds so romantic!

That's not the half of it...

It's "Ben's beach" from the film - Local Hero...Which happens to be her favourite film

It was a beach she had family holidays on when she was a child, and has very fond memories of.

We'd both taken three months off work to sail up to Scotland, and this beach was en route.

Not only that, but the now Mrs S also has a soft spot for Orcadian Jewellery

Needless to say I thought long and hard about that day :D

For the full story of the day, anyone who's interested can read about it here
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs