Ms DDD 30th

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
OK so Ms DDD is going hit the big 30 in.... er... checks iPhone... June... checks iPhone again...

So yeah what the hell do I get her?

My Dad recently took my Mum to Paris as a surprise for 2-3days for her birthday. Ms DDD would like to go away for her birthday as well. :x

Trouble is, I was planning to have a present costing around £600 - £1000 for her (that's a lot of money to me). But it isn't a trip/holiday. I fear that without confirmation that she'll be going away for the weekend it will put a downer on the present (which is a surpise) that I've already got her.

There seems to be thumb imprint on my forehead....

*Note* that I've yet to take reciept of my present from her....
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Garmin 800? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited April 2011
    Nah, wrong price range. Powertap

Edit:sorry DDD. 'Tis a minefield of expectations...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rare early Batman, still the the cellophane?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    Haha, my first thought was of Jenny Agutter
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Haha, my first thought was of Jenny Agutter

To be fair, that's always your first thought.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    Now now boys! I had the pleasure of staying with Jenny at her house in Cornwall 10 years ago, and even then she was a fleece wearing dog walking wholesome lass, not to mention a great cook. I shan't hear a word against her..

:wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    Er, guys... birds 30th. Where's nice in this Country I'm thinking somewhere villagey with a cottage, good shops, restaurants where we can go for walks.

A little like where ITB, LiT and Linsen live....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Can't beat the Lake District for that kind of thing. Or maybe the Peak District.

When I was younger my family used to stay in a village in the Peaks near Bakewell, absolutely lovely part of the world. Also, plenty of cycle trails about the place. Just in case, y'know?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    edited April 2011
    York is nice.

Or stay at the George in Rye. Burds love it.

Cotswolds?

Have a look on Mr and Mrs Smith.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1 to the Peaks. The Lakes are even better though, lots of romantic vistas.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Er, guys... birds 30th. Where's nice in this Country I'm thinking somewhere villagey with a cottage, good shops, restaurants where we can go for walks.

A little like where ITB, LiT and Linsen live....

Lake District is always good and my first choice. Try the Waterhead - Ambleside. Nice hotel on shores of Windermere, great for walks (biking if you like a challenge), food, pubs. Landscape round there is amazing.

Loads of cottages for hire but may be pricey in June.

Downside is its a bit of a trek but can get a Virgin train from London upto the lakes in less than 3 hours.
  • asprilla
    For my 30th Mrs A took me to Charlton House Hotel near Shepton Mallet (It's now a Bannatyne's but was owned by someone else, whoes name escapes me, something to do with leather goods).

Very nice place, did have a Michelin star for the restaurant and is close enough to some nice parts of the country, like Bath, Wells or Cheddar Gorge, that you can explore. It's also got a spa at the hotel so Mrs D can pamper herself.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited April 2011
    I recommend Malham in the Yorkshire Dales, particularly The Lister Arms. Nice place to stay with truly breathtaking scenery:

malhamcovepaulheaton.jpg

Malham Cove.

3739834-Malham_Coves_amazing_limestone_pavement-Malham.jpg

The limestone pavement.

janetsfossnormal.jpg

Janet's Foss.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if you dont want to actually go away for the weekend you could always surprise her by taking her up the oxo tower...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Isle of Wight is nice
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I recommend Malham in the Yorkshire Dales, particularly The Lister Arms. Nice place to stay with truly breathtaking scenery:

malhamcovepaulheaton.jpg

Malham Cove.

3739834-Malham_Coves_amazing_limestone_pavement-Malham.jpg

The limestone pavement.

janetsfossnormal.jpg

Janet's Foss.

Nice scenery, just looks a bit, erm, samey!

edit: You changed the pics.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    edited April 2011
    York is nice.

Or stay at the George in Rye. Burds love it.

Cotswolds?

Have a look on Mr and Mrs Smith.

This.

Been there twice and loved it. EDIT: Does this make me a burd? The food is good, the rooms are nice - plenty of old building charm without being chintzy. Rye is nice to potter around in and the surrounding countryside and coast is good for walks. All within easy reach of London by car or train.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I recommend Malham in the Yorkshire Dales, particularly The Lister Arms. Nice place to stay with truly breathtaking scenery:

janetsfossnormal.jpg

Janet's Foss.

Also wonderful. My friend's parents live up that way so we've been around a few times for biking and checking out the scenery. Swimming in that pool was lovely, and really quite cold.
    FCN - 10
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Nice scenery, just looks a bit, erm, samey!

edit: You changed the pics.

What are you talking about, crazy man?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I took the missus to Paris for her 30th. Cliche? Perhaps, but she had never been and she loved it. I reckon going abroad is as cheap/cheaper than staying in the UK - given UK hotel prices and travel costs!
  • DonDaddyD
    OK hiking isn't really our things, but walking, sitting and pubs with good food are nice. Just somewhere to relax.
    Food Chain number = 4

• I still think you can't go wrong with the Lakes, Ambleside in particular.
    FCN - 10
  • jzed
    Who mentioned hiking?
  • jzed
    If you want somewhere closer to home for a bit of a treat then Pennyhill Park is plush and you're missus will love the Spa. Bit on the pricey side but think they do some special deals. Definitely a place to earn some brownie points.

Not sure about pubs, walks and stuff though
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK hiking isn't really our things, but walking, sitting and pubs with good food are nice. Just somewhere to relax.

All the photos I linked to are within 2 miles of the hotel...

Edit: And, of course, Edinburgh is a great place to visit.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Where I come from we call that Donegal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    Also, take a look at Offpeakluxury.com for good deals on nice country hotels, although June might not be 'off peak'
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think I took Mrs gtvlusso to NYC - got a cheap flight and a deal on a hotel room at the Waldorf Astoria - it was when the pound was worth $2 though......