Ms DDD 30th

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    ...Edit: And, of course, Edinburgh is a great place to visit.

+1: Four and a half hours by train; compact, lots to see & do, great pubs, food, long evenings in June, good chance of fair weather but relatively quiet (pre school holidays & Edinburgh festival mayhem). Plenty of opportunities for day-trips, if you want to get out & about a bit more... One of the world's great destinations, almost on your doorstep :-)

If you're interested in following up the proposal line I can point you to a jeweller that'll sell you rings with an Edinburgh hallmark... The perfect memory of the perfect weekend!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.

Me personally, if I was travelling for that amount of time I'd want to end up somewhere better than scotland.

Paris an overpriced clichéd hole, Scotland - all of it - is meh. Your a tough crowd LiT. Any prospective Mr LiTs had clearly better start at a ride on one of those Virgin Galactic daytrips into space (when they are available) and work up from there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yeah, jewellery after three months is a bit much, frankly...

:shock:
  • Hi,
    Incidentally, and I don't know if this is going off-topic, since it's clearly not Ms -D related, or back on-topic, 'cos it's bike-ish... some of you Londoners may not be aware that you can use the Caledonian Sleeper service from Euston to get a weekend's biking in the Highlands:
    http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

Leave Friday evening, arrive Fort William, Aviemore, Inverness etc Saturday morning, couple of days biking (on or off road) and then back Sunday evening, arriving around 8am Monday...

LiTs prejudices aside, Scotland has a lot to offer the cyclist- we have some mountains, here, for example, and many bits are pretty.

Cheers,
    W.

Tries to imagine the London softies going up mountains... fails.
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    ...Edit: And, of course, Edinburgh is a great place to visit.

+1: Four and a half hours by train; compact, lots to see & do, great pubs, food, long evenings in June, good chance of fair weather but relatively quiet (pre school holidays & Edinburgh festival mayhem). Plenty of opportunities for day-trips, if you want to get out & about a bit more... One of the world's great destinations, almost on your doorstep :-)

If you're interested in following up the proposal line I can point you to a jeweller that'll sell you rings with an Edinburgh hallmark... The perfect memory of the perfect weekend!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.

Me personally, if I was travelling for that amount of time I'd want to end up somewhere better than scotland.

Paris an overpriced clichéd hole, Scotland - all of it - is meh. Your a tough crowd LiT. Any prospective Mr LiTs had clearly better start at a ride on one of those Virgin Galactic daytrips into space (when they are available) and work up from there.

Bits of scotland are lovely, no doubt, but if you were travelling for 4.5 hours there are many better places you could go, probably more cheaply too, or stay a bit closer to home.

I stand by my ardent dislike of paris.
  • If she likes DDD (Drivers' Dream Days) The great thing is you get to go too.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    That travel time would get you in brussels via eurostar for same money if not less...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131

:shock: Oh dear! It was not expensive - just from Oliver Bonas...and I was thinking I had done so well! Thanks LiT!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    After 3 months together I got my missus a nice brolley for her birthday.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    That travel time would get you in brussels via eurostar for same money if not less...

Yeah but why in God's name would you want to go to Brussels?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What the hell is a Oliver Bonas? Scratch that.

Sewinman, you've er done the third date haven't you, haven't you!? So in your heart you know if giving her jewellery 3 months in is the right thing to do or a little too personal/a little too serious a gift for where the relationship might be.

But then you two might be serious, planning the future living together and settling down. If that's the case then sure, let the jewellery and big ideas fly - see Rjsterry's comments to LiT about Virgin Galactic flights may want to pre-book a seat. What are you going to get her for Christmas? See. That's why you can't set the benchmark too high.

Me? I got Ms DDD her first piece of Jewellery last year, 2+ years into our relationship.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    and St John is a bit flash isn't it? If she isnt running for the hills after your first mouthful of braised liver as you're leaning across the table breathing "I wonder what you'd look like pregnant" into her horrified face then I'll eat my hat.
  • MonkeyMonster

Yeah but why in God's name would you want to go to Brussels?

Bruge is quite close and some bits are nice :)
  • DonDaddyD
    Anywho, I think I'm going to go for the Lake District or Cornwall. Something simple, where I can get a good English fry up and people have funny accents.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sewinman, you've er done the third date haven't you, haven't you!? So in your heart you know if giving her jewellery 3 months in is the right thing to do or a little too personal/a little too serious a gift for where the relationship might be.

But then you two might be serious, planning the future living together and settling down. If that's the case then sure, let the jewellery and big ideas fly - see Rjsterry's comments to LiT about Virgin Galactic flights may want to pre-book a seat. What are you going to get her for Christmas?

Me? I got Ms DDD her first piece of Jewellery last years X-mas 2+ years into our relationship.

The L word has been uttered, she has met my parents and we have booked hols to the Italian Riviera...so yeah pretty serious. I am very comfortable with the pressie. We met end of November actually...I had done a 10k run earlier that day and hypnotised her with my medal from across the bar.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Sewinman wrote:
    I had done a 10k run earlier that day and hypnotised her with my
    medal from across the bar.

You sweaty magician you! :D
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ...Bits of scotland are lovely, no doubt, but if you were travelling for 4.5 hours there are many better places you could go, probably more cheaply too, or stay a bit closer to home. ..

Go on, then... let's have a few... As I see it we're after a sub five hour journey, centre to centre (I'm assuming no-one is going to want to holiday in, or lives at, an airport, so transfers have to be taken into account).

So we're looking at flight times of up to 2-3 hours, yes? Or Eurostar to Cologne, Amsterdam, selected bits of Belgium or Central France? That should, as you say, give plenty of scope, geographically.. so where do you reckon are better destinations than Edinburgh?

Not being argumentative, BTW, I like Edinburgh but I'm interested to hear of places that rank with it, especially if I havn't been to them!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Sewinman
    and St John is a bit flash isn't it? If she isnt running for the hills after your first mouthful of braised liver as you're leaning across the table breathing "I wonder what you'd look like pregnant" into her horrified face then I'll eat my hat.

Ha ha, I have completely messed this up it would seem! :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:

The L word has been uttered, she has met my parents and we have booked hols to the Italian Riviera...so yeah pretty serious. I am very comfortable with the pressie. We met end of November actually...I had done a 10k run earlier that day and hypnotised her with my medal from across the bar.

Representing fo'Kew Bridge yo!

Seriously, that's nice man. I'm happy for you! Sounds like jewellery isn't too personal a present it just sets a high precedent... I'm counting 5 months so 2 months of not sure, kinda seeing f-buddies and dating.... LOL. Oh to be young and dating again.

<< LiTs retract the claws >>

Pics or she ain't real!
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sewinman wrote:
    The L word has been uttered...
    After 3 months!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    Sewinman wrote:

:shock: Oh dear! It was not expensive - just from Oliver Bonas...and I was thinking I had done so well! Thanks LiT!

Well, hey, don't change your mind because of something a person on t'interweb said. If you want to give her jewellery, do it, just be aware that it's potentially a bit much!

Also, as someone rightly says, you're going to be expected to scale up from there for a good few years.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

But then you two might be serious, planning the future living together and settling down. If that's the case then sure, let the jewellery and big ideas fly - see Rjsterry's comments to LiT about Virgin Galactic flights may want to pre-book a seat. What are you going to get her for Christmas?

Me? I got Ms DDD her first piece of Jewellery last years X-mas 2+ years into our relationship.

I'd say Oliver Bonas is pitched about right for a first bit of jewellery: 'I saw this and thought you'd like it' but not massively expensive, so doesn't look like it has strings attached or like you're desperate to impress.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    After 3 months!

1). The kids these days are in such a rush to grow up.

2). Brudda's will say anything to get laid.

3) Sometimes you slip up. Like if she's amazing in bed/head and the pleasure takes you. You don't mean love, but "love" is the word that slips out.

4). He may have said it to resolve an argument and get make up sex. It's been known to happen and might be worth it. See reasons in point 3.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe

Roar.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Anywho, I think I'm going to go for the Lake District or Cornwall. Something simple, where I can get a good English fry up and people have funny accents.

Lakes has the advantage of not being one huge gridlocked cul-de-sac assuming you are driving.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    After 3 months!

1). The kids these days are in such a rush to grow up.

2). Brudda's will say anything to get laid.

3) Sometimes you slip up. Like if she's amazing in bed/head and the pleasure takes you. You don't mean love, but "love" is the word that slips out.

4). He may have said it to resolve an argument and get make up sex. It's been known to happen and might be worth it. See reasons in point 3.

All of the above!
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

I'd say Oliver Bonas is pitched about right for a first bit of jewellery: 'I saw this and thought you'd like it' but not massively expensive, so doesn't look like it has strings attached or like you're desperate to impress.

Any jewellery bought from a shop that has an actual first and last name is middle class and therefore well above the pitch of 'first piece of jewellery'.
    LiT wrote:
    Also, as someone rightly says, you're going to be expected to scale up from there for a good few years.

Me! I said it. Give me the credit!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    who said the L word?

you?

her?

both?

who said it first?

how many times did that person say it before the other person said it?

bunnyboiler.jpg
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Any jewellery bought from a shop that has an actual first and last name is middle class and therefore well above the pitch of 'first piece of jewellery'.

Elizabeth Duke?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Elizabeth Duke?

Well no. Elizabeth Duke is sold in Argos, Argos is the shops name and therefore is exempt from my rule.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Elizabeth Duke?

Ernest Jones?