Ms DDD 30th

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I took the Mrs to Paris for a long weekend too. She didn't know until she got there that it coincided with the last stage of the TdF! What a coincidence huh! Hehe!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DDD

http://www.theweekenders.co.uk/ is your friend......as is http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/

If you want a nice place to relax, great restaurant, excellent service, great rooms http://www.satishouse.co.uk/ in Suffolk was where we spent a few days after our honeymoon and nice towns to visit (Southworld has a brewery/distillery, Aldeburgh has great fish and chips to eat on the beach) lots of things to see and do in the area. (not cheap, but then again I doubt the future Mrs DDD is either)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • calonuk
    calonuk Posts: 78
    You could find a long weekend in rome for that price on last minute.com

in a very nice hotel and still have mony spare for spending monies..

I only know as i turn 30 in June and me and the wife were looking at rome for mine.

exercise.png
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you're on a budget, steer clear of paris, it's not cheap for entertainment and eating out...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Bit of a curveball, but a friend of mine has just been to Bratislava for a spa weekend, and won't stop raving about how great/cheap it was... she went to a place called Poprad.
  • lost_in_thought
    edhornby wrote:
    if you're on a budget, steer clear of paris, it's not cheap for entertainment and eating out...

It's also a clichéd, unfriendly, overrated, overpriced hellhole with a few pretty buildings.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    edhornby wrote:

It's also a clichéd, unfriendly, overrated, overpriced hellhole with a few pretty buildings.

And you're not allowed to dress as a ninja
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • if you dont want to actually go away for the weekend you could always surprise her by taking her up the oxo tower...

The old ones are the best ones.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What happen to the days where we just gave one present and done. If you got taken to a restaurant THAT was something special and holidays were something for the kids. :evil:

I'm gonna feel the pressure to propose on her birthday and its such a cliche (say, how do you get the eyebrow over the e?) I'd prefer not to.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bit of a curveball, but a friend of mine has just been to Bratislava for a spa weekend, and won't stop raving about how great/cheap it was... she went to a place called Poprad.

Slovakia doesn't have the greatest of reputations for racial tolerance, though. Perhaps that's just the football world, though.
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What happen to the days where we just gave one present and done. If you got taken to a restaurant THAT was something special and holidays were something for the kids. :evil:

I'm gonna feel the pressure to propose on her birthday and its such a cliche (say, how do you get the eyebrow over the e?) I'd prefer not to.

ALT+130

séé?
  • Or the right ALT key plus 'e'.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK hiking isn't really our things, but walking, sitting and pubs with good food are nice. Just somewhere to relax.

You want somewhere:
    Thats easy and cheap to get to and from.
    Has a bit of scenery and is generally relaxing.
    Not too far from pubs and grub.

Sounds like a long weekend in Richmond Park would be ideal for Mrs -ve D's 30th.

You're welcome!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Bit of a curveball, but a friend of mine has just been to Bratislava for a spa weekend, and won't stop raving about how great/cheap it was... she went to a place called Poprad.

Bonus points for there being a bike of that name :)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Poprad is a 5 hour train journey from Bratislava but is the gateway to the Higher Tantras. Its a sh1thole but the mountains are fantastic.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited April 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If you don't want to propose, don't. MTFU FFS!
    Why would you even consider making the offer of a lifetime commitment if you don't want to?

Grow a pair!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    Poprad is a 5 hour train journey from Bratislava but is the gateway to the Higher Tantras. Its a sh1thole but the mountains are fantastic.

Ahhh but you can fly straight there, and they've built a huge spa... I've just found the site...

http://www.aquacityresort.com/en/prices ... elist.aspx

EDIT: I haven't been. My housemate has, and keeps going on about it.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ...Edit: And, of course, Edinburgh is a great place to visit.

+1: Four and a half hours by train; compact, lots to see & do, great pubs, food, long evenings in June, good chance of fair weather but relatively quiet (pre school holidays & Edinburgh festival mayhem). Plenty of opportunities for day-trips, if you want to get out & about a bit more... One of the world's great destinations, almost on your doorstep :-)

If you're interested in following up the proposal line I can point you to a jeweller that'll sell you rings with an Edinburgh hallmark... The perfect memory of the perfect weekend!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

Ahhh but you can fly straight there, and they've built a huge spa... I've just found the site...

http://www.aquacityresort.com/en/prices ... elist.aspx

EDIT: I haven't been. My housemate has, and keeps going on about it.

That tan looks impressively fake.
  • lost_in_thought
    ...Edit: And, of course, Edinburgh is a great place to visit.

+1: Four and a half hours by train; compact, lots to see & do, great pubs, food, long evenings in June, good chance of fair weather but relatively quiet (pre school holidays & Edinburgh festival mayhem). Plenty of opportunities for day-trips, if you want to get out & about a bit more... One of the world's great destinations, almost on your doorstep :-)

If you're interested in following up the proposal line I can point you to a jeweller that'll sell you rings with an Edinburgh hallmark... The perfect memory of the perfect weekend!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.

Me personally, if I was travelling for that amount of time I'd want to end up somewhere better than scotland.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    *grabs popcorn*
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Key is to propose before the pressure to propose starts - once it starts it won't go away!

Re 30th birthday, my wife got a cake and a bottle of cava, it seemed like a good effort at the time! All this talk is making me feel bad...

As for weekends away, how about Gent in Belgium? Lovely weather that time of year, best beer in the world, steak and fries to die for and amazing chocolate (for the Mrs). Easily accessible via Eurostar, plenty of bike shops too. I'm talking myself into a trip here!
  • DonDaddyD

Slovakia doesn't have the greatest of reputations for racial tolerance, though. Perhaps that's just the football world, though.
    I'd never let my ethnicity stop me from visiting another country or experiencing the World. There are places - like South Central LA - that I would avoid for safety reasons.

Richmond Park, brilliant!!!

I ain't going Scotland. This is an Essex burd. Magaloof or its not a holiday.

EKE, I intend to. I just don't want to do it on her birthday. I want to do it my way. But it is her Birthday and the pressure (self inflicted I'm sure) is on.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    ...Me personally, if I was travelling for that amount of time I'd want to end up somewhere better than scotland.

Hah! We said Edinburgh, not Scotland... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    What is the surprise gift you have bought? Or did I miss it? If it is an ace pressie then a good meal out should suffice.

Taking my buurd out for her b-day tonight funnily enough - St. John plus a tasteful silver bracelet. We have only been going out for 3 months, so trying to keep present expectations and standards at a reasonable level!! :D
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'd never let my ethnicity stop me from visiting another country or experiencing the World.

Quite right - I missed this one - my housemate was there with a black girl and an italian... they seemed to be tolerated.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Cotswolds, pretty and not too far. Northern places are all very well but I agree with LiT if you're going to travel a long way I'd rather go elsewhere. Gent is good, good for bars and beer. I'm going to have to sell my soul to get the EPO to Barcelona for her next big birthday.
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    What is the surprise gift you have bought? Or did I miss it? If it is an ace pressie then a good meal out should suffice.

Taking my buurd out for her b-day tonight funnily enough - St. John plus a tasteful silver bracelet. We have only been going out for 3 months, so trying to keep present expectations and standards at a reasonable level!! :D
    Never go straight to Jewellery for a birthday present. Build up to it like this:

Perfume
    Chocolates and flowers
    Shoes
    Handbag
    Dress
    Restaurant
    Restaurant and theatre (maybe hotel)

Then after 7 years in.

Jewellery.

I'm only making the weekend away exception because well erm... its her 30th. As for her present it's a surprise.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

I'd never let my ethnicity stop me from visiting another country or experiencing the World.

Quite right - I missed this one - my housemate was there with a black girl and an italian... they seemed to be tolerated.

Never said it should stop you going, just though it may take the gloss off a romantic getaway. Like I say, it may just be football related, rather than endemic.
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    Incidentally, and I don't know if this is going off-topic, since it's clearly not Ms -D related, or back on-topic, 'cos it's bike-ish... some of you Londoners may not be aware that you can use the Caledonian Sleeper service from Euston to get a weekend's biking in the Highlands:
    http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

Leave Friday evening, arrive Fort William, Aviemore, Inverness etc Saturday morning, couple of days biking (on or off road) and then back Sunday evening, arriving around 8am Monday...

LiTs prejudices aside, Scotland has a lot to offer the cyclist- we have some mountains, here, for example, and many bits are pretty.

Cheers,
    W.