Ms DDD 30th

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    snooks wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Cunning. Bury her to her knees in sand for the proposal. Very hard to run away.

Like it. Always thinking, always one step ahead...

I didn't even buy a ring :shock: I made it out of foil from a Kit Kat wrapper! :D

It's a long story, but she once said "The ring doesn't matter, it can be made of foil as long as you mean it"

Obviously the foil ring didn't last, so we had a real one hand made for her in Orkney ...When we got there.

I got one from Elizabeth Duke, worked a treat!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Its my experience that wives/girlfriends appreciate something much more if they feel you have made an effort rather than just buying jewellery off the shelf - try and get something thats a one off if possible
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yeah but your a photographer. I bet it doesn't look that nice through human eyes!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

th_Applecross_filtered.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    There's plenty of suitable places a little nearer to South Wimbledon. Don't get too het up on it being the perfect location though. Anywhere with a nice view and a sunset in the background is going to set it off nicely.

:lol: South Wimbledon, nice view, sunset? You're talking about the South Wimbledon that's next to Morden, right?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yeah but your a photographer. I bet it doesn't look that nice through human eyes!

Bealach Na? Want to ride this - if Hardknotts pass is a 10/10 not sure what I'd be letting myself in for the 11/10 Bealach.....
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited April 2011
    @Jzed -correct :)

(he says after checking!)

Some guys on here have done the pass, and I know there are some photos of them right at the point I took the photo

I've driven both and have to say that Hardknott would (IMHO) be harder - Applecross goes on longer without a let-up but the severe bits aren't as long
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Probably one of my favourite places on the planet:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 4QatsK2SCg

The sun sets smack bang over the sea. http://www.flickr.com/photos/starquake/2730349909/
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Tries to imagine the London softies going up mountains... fails.

Oi! some of us where born in the Hills.

CJCP the Gower is lovely.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Scotland looks ok

But it's just not Ireland. Is it?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Scotland looks ok

No you're right. Scotland has better whisky and bigger mountains.

Both hate the English though:D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • tailwindhome
    snooks wrote:
    Scotland looks ok

Ireland has Guiness and The Craic
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    snooks wrote:
    Scotland looks ok

Ireland has Guiness and The Craic

No Ireland doesn't have Guiness.

It DOES have Guinness though.... bloody Anglo-Saxon.... :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    StuAff wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Scotland is a bit like Australia. Rubbish weather... (I've never been down there & never will).

So well-informed then?
    StuAff wrote:

Prague's lovely despite the stag parties etc (apparently the Charles Bridge is very romantic at night or early in the morning...if I wasn't perpetually single I'd certainly agree), and Brno's supposed to be worth a visit too.

Is Brno Prague's answer to the Oxo Tower?

:D

LiT hasn't been to Scotland, I haven't been to Oz. But my point was merely that they both have many attractions.
    Prague's got a tower already, btw ;)

Ummm, I have been to scotland. Several times.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Scotland is a bit like Australia. Rubbish weather... (I've never been down there & never will).

So well-informed then?
    StuAff wrote:

Prague's lovely despite the stag parties etc (apparently the Charles Bridge is very romantic at night or early in the morning...if I wasn't perpetually single I'd certainly agree), and Brno's supposed to be worth a visit too.

Is Brno Prague's answer to the Oxo Tower?

:D

LiT hasn't been to Scotland, I haven't been to Oz. But my point was merely that they both have many attractions.
    Prague's got a tower already, btw ;)

Ummm, I have been to scotland. Several times.

Whoops, I stand corrected.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    There's plenty of suitable places a little nearer to South Wimbledon. Don't get too het up on it being the perfect location though. Anywhere with a nice view and a sunset in the background is going to set it off nicely.

:lol: South Wimbledon, nice view, sunset? You're talking about the South Wimbledon that's next to Morden, right?

I said NEAR South Wimbledon. I was thinking more of something like Richmond Hill looking over the Thames.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I proposed in the kitchen.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I said NEAR South Wimbledon. I was thinking more of something like Richmond Hill looking over the Thames.

So, we're back to what I said, Richmond Park!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I ain't going to Richmond Park, I ain't proposing in or near Richmond Park and I never said I was going to propose. Also this might have to come out of the ring fund so a 3rd carat becomes 1/4 carat and its still sliding.... lol.
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Scotland looks ok

BOOM!

Ireland, that's it! She's Irish on her Dad's side! Take her there for her 30th and I'm boxing clever! I've also recently developed a taste for Guinness.

2/3 days in Ireland. I think that might be the winner. OK some questions:

Is it Paris (£10 beer) expensive?

Which Ireland is the safe one North or Republic?

Which is the one everyone likes? I think its Republic - in that the accent doesn't sound angry.

Where? Her family are from Tipperary is that nice?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,393
    Really? None of this stuff has come up in the last 2 years?

I was thinking you must have already discounted this option as being too obvious or too near the relatives.

TWH to the thread please.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Dingle is nice.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    StuAff wrote:
    Whoops, I stand corrected.

...said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.

8)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Its a long way to tipperary......

I'll get my coat.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited April 2011
    I went to Tipperary last year with a friend, her family live in Thurles, and while I wouldn't recommend Thurles as a tourist destination, we did go to Kilkenny, about 20 minutes away, and that is just one gorgeous town. Oh and the rock of Cashel's castle is a badass castle.

EDIT:

Ooooh and there's a castle on the way to Shannon that looks like Wario's irish fortress... Bunratty Castle it's called :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My missus took me to Dublin for my birthday a couple of years ago.

Nice city, but expensive. I remember doing a double take everytime I looked at the prices in a bar or restaurant.

The only downer was the row we had and her sulking. Wimmin, eh?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • we did go to Kilkenny.

dont_kill_kenny.gif
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I proposed in a beautiful hill top village in Tuscany, during a wine festival. We're not sure if I knelt down or fell down. Exact words were "oh sh!t I've spilt the wine Jane will you marry me?" Going back this summer 16 years later. Can't wait.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    DDD you could reserve her a flight in Space! Just spend the rest of your life paying for it....
    http://www.virgingalactic.com/
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    BOOM!

Ireland, that's it! She's Irish on her Dad's side! Take her there for her 30th and I'm boxing clever! I've also recently developed a taste for Guinness.

Which is the one everyone likes? I think its Republic - in that the accent doesn't sound angry.

A long time ago ITB posted a link to a castle somewhere in Ireland which he described as the place to go in Ireland.....that's your place. Go there and she'll say yes!

*Paging ITB
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh dear. Generalisations like that are what ensure the English continue to be universally loved ! Maybe you should just go to Richmond Park after all.

More seriously, all of Ireland is safe*. I'm from Northern Ireland (I'm back there again as I write this) and it's a lovely place. Accents are infinitely variable even within a 30-mile radius so don't get hung up on that.

A friend proposed at the Giant's Causeway - a world heritage site less than 2 hours' drive from Belfast.
    giants-causeway-7.jpg
    A pint of Guinness in The Crown in Belfast cost me £3.60 the other day, less expensive bars are available

*Same restrictions apply as anywhere else - keep away from political marches, football games and Wetherspoons on a weekend.
    Misguided Idealist
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    TWH wrote:
    A long time ago ITB posted a link to a castle somewhere in Ireland which he described as the place to go in Ireland.....that's your place. Go there and she'll say yes!

*Paging ITB

Dude aren't you Irish. Can't you recommend me a place?

I need somewhere which is slow, chilled, where we can relax, very little walking, beautiful open air and good food.

Yes Richmond Park is a good contender and there are many places in England. But Ireland would be nice.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game