The Crudcatcher Endomondo Distance Challenge Thread

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Spare rear wheel? So, you still have the one on your actual wheel?
    Might go do some hillclimbs tomorrow. The tar and other crap was coming up out of my lungs today. Need to push myself to get back "on it" again. Especially since I now have an annoyingly fit riding mate!
  • No, I sold the wheelset that came with the Edison because Superstar had my wheels as being shipped on Monday so I figured they'd be here by now. Turns out they made a mistake and they're not even built yet :roll: .
    Meaning I am left with quite an old, flexy, rattly set of wheels until the new ones DO turn up and I can't find the rear QR, think I must have binned it or something.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Just seen this and I'm in! Not sure I'll get much done this week 'till the weekend though :-(
    Need to start working further away from home to get a decent commute in.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or just don't go the direct route...
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Mike wrote:
    Just seen this and I'm in!

Oh hai! :D
  • El Capitano
    Woop woop!

I won a t-shirt in last month's "Most Miles" challenge. :D

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/959699
  • El Capitano
    Hmmm, methinks there's some skullduggery going on here. Just uploaded my workouts. Should read 122 miles in total. Its showing 122 miles on another cycling challenge, but only 64 on the Crudcatcher challenge... :evil:
  • Hmmm, methinks there's some skullduggery going on here. Just uploaded my workouts. Should read 122 miles in total. Its showing 122 miles on another cycling challenge, but only 64 on the Crudcatcher challenge... :evil:

Ah yes, mine did the same thing the other night. Had to wait a while for it to show as updated.
  • El Capitano
    Yep, all logged now. :D
  • I need to get out and put some more miles in. Sadly the wind has not dropped below 30mph all week and I flat refuse to ride in strong winds, it's not enjoyable at all.
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    I feel proper humbled by this, half you lot must be surgically attached to your bikes. I'm no slacker normally but the miles folks are putting in, jesus. Unfit fat bloke has more work to do to not end up with the wooden spoon :oops:
  • Ransaka - Remember a lot of people commute on the bike too. That can add a good 20-30 miles per day in some cases.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    No, I sold the wheelset that came with the Edison because Superstar had my wheels as being shipped on Monday so I figured they'd be here by now. Turns out they made a mistake and they're not even built yet :roll: .
    Meaning I am left with quite an old, flexy, rattly set of wheels until the new ones DO turn up and I can't find the rear QR, think I must have binned it or something.

Send your address since you are not answering your phone(again) and I'll post one over tomorrow
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • El Capitano
    Ransaka - Remember a lot of people commute on the bike too. That can add a good 20-30 miles per day in some cases.

90% of my mileage is my commute.
  • Richie63 wrote:
    No, I sold the wheelset that came with the Edison because Superstar had my wheels as being shipped on Monday so I figured they'd be here by now. Turns out they made a mistake and they're not even built yet :roll: .

Send your address since you are not answering your phone(again) and I'll post one over tomorrow

Oops, just spotted your missed call.

No worries now, My new wheels have arrived :D
    Cheers though mate.
    You sorted ferry out yet?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've been so busy lambing I've not had chance to play bikes yet this month, this will all change tomorrow hopefully as I have the afternoon off. Anyway when I've finished with the whole business I expect this no chance to ride problem will change completely and I'll be living at cannock again :twisted:
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka - Remember a lot of people commute on the bike too. That can add a good 20-30 miles per day in some cases.

So's mine! Even taking the long, off road route home only makes about 12-16 miles a day. Still, enough for me at the moment :D
  • El Capitano
    Ransaka wrote:

So's mine! Even taking the long, off road route home only makes about 12-16 miles a day. Still, enough for me at the moment :D

I'm fortunate that I have a variety of routes I can use on the commute. This week, it's going to be the 'short' 9 miles in and then 11 miles home routes - pretty easy, no serious climbs.
  • I sometimes think I'd quite like a flatter commute. Mine is all downhill on the way in, and all uphill on the way back.
    It does help with practice for climbing though, it's only about 1.7miles, but it's fairly constant climbing all the way.
  • Ransaka
    Though the response is probably going to make me feels like vomiting just thinking about the exertion, what do you class as a serious climb out of interest? I ride over the South Downs a lot so no long climbs but some of them can be sharp even if they are brief and I'm usually huffing like a reet b*stard when I get to the top of them.
  • My ride home covers 100m vertical in about 2km with some small descents. I think the max gradient is about 15%

Serious climb that comes to mind that I sometimes do is 280m vertical in just a touch under 3km, all offroad. All uphill, all the way.

Really depends on the gradient and distance though.
  • El Capitano
    The 'serious' climbs I do are:

On the B4267 from Cosmeston Lakes to the end of Westbourne road, then into the centre of Penarth and up and over Albert road. You're climbing for a couple of miles and as the road surface is so bad on Westbourne Road, it's like climbing a fire-road!

Then the return journey - Paget road, into Paget Place/St Augustines/Clive Place. From sea level, about half a mile of out of the saddle climbing. Very steep in a couple of places, with only a short section mid-way to catch your breath.

Definetly not in the 'epic' climbs league, but enough to get a sweat on during the commute.
  • Ransaka
    None of my mates bike (apart from one who just started) and so I have nothing to compare my effort to and it sounds like I'm not quite as unfit as I thought based on that as I do about 100m vertical in 2km on my commute home and a shorter one, less height both offroad (the second one being a pig biatch over tree roots on narrow track which has been a delight in the wet weather).

280 in 3km sound like pain and agony to me still though :oops:

El Cap, Wales is the place for MTBing in the UK as I understand so most of the trail centre stuff is manageable by a reasonably fat bloke with a vague bit of stamina?
  • Ransaka wrote:
    None of my mates bike (apart from one who just started) and so I have nothing to compare my effort to and it sounds like I'm not quite as unfit as I thought based on that as I do about 100m vertical in 2km on my commute home and a shorter one, less height both offroad (the second one being a pig biatch over tree roots on narrow track which has been a delight in the wet weather).

280 in 3km sound like pain and agony to me still though :oops:

El Cap, Wales is the place for MTBing in the UK as I understand so most of the trail centre stuff is manageable by a reasonably fat bloke with a vague bit of stamina?

The big climb I mentioned is the first of 3 big climbs on the IOM End2end challenge. Full route is 75km with 1,500m of climbing.

Trail centres are designed so they can be ridden by pretty much everyone (the climbs at least) so I doubt you'd have any issues there.
  • El Capitano
    Ransaka wrote:

Indeed. Although some trail centres are better than others. Afan Argoed has a good variety of trails, from the 13mile fireroad route (with cafe stop midway) to the 40+ mile Skyline trail.

Cwm Carn is the other centre that's close to me, but it can be a bit off-putting due to the huge technical climb right at the start. Again Coed Llandegla can be a bit like that, but although the climbs right at the start, it's a lot less technical (its virtually a fire-road).

As long as your bike's up to it, you shouldn't have too many problems on the trails in Wales. That said, I'd get a bit more experience before hitting the Skyline trail!
  • njee20
    The main consideration with Skyline IMO is that you are pretty well in the middle of nowhere. If you fall and badly hurt yourself, you're kinda stranded, just need to be a bit more prepared than you might for a similar ride locally.

The hills can be longer, but IMO that doesn't necessarily make them harder.
  • njee20 wrote:
    The hills can be longer, but IMO that doesn't necessarily make them harder.

Very this.

There is 1 hill near us I'm determined to conquer. It's quite steep and quite short, but the terrain is terrible and if you have to put a foot down, you're done because you'll never get started again. Not tried it since I got the FS, but I'm hoping I can nail it now.
  • njee20
    There's one near me which is no length at all, but is just right on the limit of being rideable, I've cleaned it once, a few rocks and roots just scupper your pedal stroke at the steepest part!

Stunning weather today, and I rode in, longer route home I reckon! On the summer bike for the first time, and I may even get my legs out later!
  • njee20
    How are we doing then? It seems we have a pro among our midst in Peter Stacey! When I find an hour or so to let it upload from my Garmin I'll update, think I'm around 200 at the moment.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Who is Peter Stacey anyway?