Ibis Mojo HD

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Cheers for the link Monkey, will check them out, only thing that i worry about with the bushings is the effect they have on bb height as the HD is pretty low anyway at around 13.5" and the bushings lower it by around half an inch if i remember rightly, not sure on this though, but the headsets seem to a good option for what i want, i.e. slacker headangle and ever so slightly lower bb height :)
  • lawman
    Been a while since the last post, some changes since then, and a few more changes planned for the rest of the year :)

(will post pics at the weekend, quite hard to take photos when it's some 200 miles away :lol: )

First up, the Xt brakes are the dogs. Spent a fair old while on them with both bikes now running them, massive power, even with small rotors, loads of control and they really do look stunning, think I actually prefer them to xtr's. If anyone is the market for new brakes for any bike, get these!

latest change is bar and stem related. Upgraded to a 750mm Easton Havoc Carbon bar after liking the feel of my cut down superstars on the maxlight, got them in the deal on merlin a few months back, superb shape, amazing quality and superlight for the size, and it looks great with the matching 70mm haven stem I got at the same time. not got even more control and dropped a few grams too :)

I've finally got fed up of the Nobby nic's tendency to suddenly lose all front end grip on certain corners and rocks an roots, and they are shite in the mud around here, so will be putting a hans dampf trailstar on the front and sticking a pacestar on the hardtail. should offer more grip and slacken out both bikes abit, from looking at them they seem taller than the nics, which is good imo :)

As for the geometry, think I'm going to try some offset bushings, had a go on a few slacker bikes and liked the way they handled, so a good degree will be knocked of the headangle, should settle around 66.5 degrees, which is sick 8) Lowers the bb slightly, but thats not a big issue, I rarely strike rocks so added stability is a win! The RP23 will be serviced, custom tuned and kashima'd too, finding it doesn't quite have enough support in the corners, and I'll service the forks and fit the new low-friction seals whilst the shocks off at mojo.

Definitely want to get a shadow plus Xt mech when they're released, its hardly a loud bike but the chain does rattle a fair bit, so a shadow plus should do the trick nicely. The cranks on the maxlight are 170mm, and if I change that to another frame I'm likely going to want a 175mm, so they might go and I'll get some new black 175mm cranks for this and chuck the old ones on the hardtail, flog the 170's.

Will finally get around to finishing all the decals over summer, uni's been taking most of my time so I've little time for messing with the bike, just riding :)

Other than that a few little touches here and there, it's my 21st this year so I'll probably have a bit of money to throw at this, in the distant future I hope to get a new, slightly burlier set of wheels for this, and the gunsmoke hope hubs aren't a great match for the frame, tune hubs and arch EX rims would be my choice, heard nothing but praise for this kinda combo, the crest's might get a bit flimsy for the stuff I'm riding now!

Still love this thing, feels like home and riding it back to back with the hardtail its incredible to think I've owned it for 4 times as long as I've had the HD, it really does show just how far bikes have come since 2007!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    After thrashing the 456C at Afan, I can confirm that the Hans Dampfs are the bogs dollocks!

Also, Haven bar and stem, and Arch EX wheels.....? Damn, I was going to do that!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    bails87 wrote:
    After thrashing the 456C at Afan, I can confirm that the Hans Dampfs are the bogs dollocks!

Also, Haven bar and stem, and Arch EX wheels.....? Damn, I was going to do that!

I looked at the hans dampf's just before I ordered my pacestar nic's, just thought they were a touch heavy, now I'm not so fussed by that, hard to believe I know, but on a bike with 750mm bars, a dropper post and a full chainguide, weight kinda seems silly :lol: I should drop abit of weight elsewhere, I need a new headset soon as the open ball bearings on the gravity one I have are shite and it weighs more than a small moon, might get some Ti axles for the nano's too. I've got money left over from uni this year, so it should all be done over summer :)

Wheels will be a long way off, I can't afford, let alone justify spalshing over £500 quid on a set of hoops after just having the superstars for the hardtail, maybe next summer!
  • lawman
    Some pics I took out in the woods a few weeks back, was a cracking day just sessioning the singletrack for hour after hour 8)

IMG_6415.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg
  • lawman
    Some new pics :D Recently had the forks serviced and got a wicked surprise, Mojo replaced the crown/steerer with a brand spanking 2013 set, which is sweet, nice new Kashima stanchions and low-friction seals. They also very kindly fitted my lime green decals, double win :D

IMG_1742.jpg

Just today fitted some new SDG Han Solo grips, they were meant for the C456 I'm currently building, but they looked so good they had to go on this :lol:

IMG_1744.jpg

Well looking forward to giving it a right old thrashing on the cruddy weekend in Scotchland :D
  • bails87
    Looking good.

Have you built the 456 up yet? Or can I still use "I'll let you try my 456" as an excuse to get a test ride of the Mojo? :lol:
    MTB/CX

• lawman
    It's still sat waiting to be built, need to strip the old one of its parts and get a new chain then its good to go :D I've still not tried to remove the nanos off this yet, will bring a huge Allen key to scotchland and see if that works
  • bails87
    I'll probably put my toolbox in the boot, if there's space, that's got a set of giant T handled allen keys, and proper pedal spanner, so if that doesn't budge it then nothing will!
    MTB/CX

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    bails87 wrote:
    proper pedal spanner

Wont be of any help with the nanos, they only work with an allen key. I'll have my set that I use to take my nanos on/off too, so between the lot of us, I reckon we should be able to shift them :lol:

Looking good by the way
  • lawman
    I have never removed them, not had too, this bike has, barring the pro2 and joplin issues, been superbly reliable even the gear cable is still original and its smooth now as it was when it was new.

Hopefully the c456 will be built sometime next week, I will get around to a thread about that in abit :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    proper pedal spanner

Wont be of any help with the nanos, they only work with an allen key. I'll have my set that I use to take my nanos on/off too, so between the lot of us, I reckon we should be able to shift them :lol:

Looking good by the way
    Last time I rode with Lawman I tried to have a ride but I use SPDs and the Nanos were stuck on there with glue or something. Bad bike maintenance if you ask me :wink:
    MTB/CX

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    bails87 wrote:
    Last time I rode with Lawman I tried to have a ride but I use SPDs

Then you don't deserve to ride anything but a road bike. You disgust me. Now gtfo!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    lawman, If your really struggling

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165594

Is really good, its penetrating lube and rapid cooling gunk, really works well so grab some of that you will get them out :)
  • lawman
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    proper pedal spanner

Looking good by the way
    Last time I rode with Lawman I tried to have a ride but I use SPDs and the Nanos were stuck on there with glue or something. Bad bike maintenance if you ask me :wink:

Well you did try and undo them with the worlds most useless multitool :P

I've never tried to take them off other than that, so I have no idea if they are proper stuck or not :lol:
  • bails87
    lawman wrote:

Well you did try and undo them with the worlds most useless multitool :P

I've never tried to take them off other than that, so I have no idea if they are proper stuck or not :lol:
    It's not my fault it's so small!
    MTB/CX

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Awesome looking bike, but where does a student get enough money for that and a new carbon 456 build?! I'm struggling to keep mine maintained at the minute!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    I worked for a year before uni, so the HD was payed for before I started, and the gf went halfs me with me on the reverb for my last birthday, epic win :lol:

I'm not a huge drinker, so booze funds quickly added up to enough for a 456 frame, all the kit has come off the old maxlight which is no retired. All in the 456 has cost me less than £400, so not a huge amount, still abit annoyed that I've had the frame since february and it still isnt built :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough!
    You better get to BUCS this coming year by the way, I've still not seen you there yet for us Bangor lot to put you in your place ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    yeah depending on where it is I plan to get to there, and maybe we'll actually have some mates races next year too :P
  • ilovedirt
    Aye, I'll have to try and get that arranged this year, we have some walkie talkie radios now and everything!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    we're trying to arrange some kind of enduro/super D/whatever they're called event for next year, on a small scale obviously, but could be pretty cool as everyone can have a go at that, even if people have DH rigs :)
  • ilovedirt
    Ahhh that sounds ace! We've not got too many places around here that have pedallable fire roads to the top, most of it is push up the track...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    We have some great trails at nant-y-arian which is about 10 miles away, easily ride able from aber town centre. Plan is either a few timed stages or a "mass" (well as mass as it can be :lol:) le-mans style start over a short course, either way will be pretty sweet if we can pull it off :D
  • ilovedirt
    I like the sound of a mass start! haha.
    That said, if that was the format, there are some nice trail centres not too far from bangor that would be a nice venue for that sort of thing. Not too sure how you'd go about timing several sections though without having a lot of people stood around for hours.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    yeah thats why we're favouring the mass start, its a good laugh to run around like maniacs trying to get to your bike, levels out the field as the xc guys try to run in disco slippers :lol:

An idea for timed sections we had was too have a few guys ride but not compete, so if everyone has a cheapy watch with a stopwatch on it, we can time it that way and keep track of times. Bit complicated as it involves peeps being honest and tbh I prefer the idea of a mass start, but if we could pull off a timed kinda thing that would be sweet.
  • ilovedirt
    Hey, don't knock the disco slippers! :lol:

I only say this as I've not gotten around to buying some Five Ten SPDs yet, lol.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Pah no fair.

Wish my uni had a mountain bike club. Come to think of it I wish it had something vaguely resembling a mountain within 100 miles of it :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    So start one!! What uni are you at? I bet there's at least something worth riding.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5