Ibis Mojo HD

14567810»

Comments

• ej2320 wrote:
    Short top tubes seems to be something that is the same across both Santa Cruz and Ibis bikes.

Yeti is the opposite

It also comes complete with a shonky pivot.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Not bad. Maybe an Orange Five for your next build?

I think they'd have to be an apocalypse and there be no other bikes out there before considering a five!!! :lol:
    Shall see what the markets doing when I graduate and see what I fancy :)

And I agree with Rick, the yeti's whilst very very nice to ride have a tendency to destroy bearings o the switch pivot and a rebuild kit is nearly 100 quid!! :shock: That said I really enjoyed both the SB66 and 95 I rode a few months back, but having already had a bike that eats bearings, the yeti have has put me off.
  • lawman wrote:
    And I agree with Rick, the yeti's whilst very very nice to ride have a tendency to destroy bearings o the switch pivot and a rebuild kit is nearly 100 quid!! :shock: That said I really enjoyed both the SB66 and 95 I rode a few months back, but having already had a bike that eats bearings, the yeti have has put me off.

Bronson, XX1 and Enve's is where its at 8)
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

Bronson, XX1 and Enve's is where its at 8)

The Bronson is the front-runner ATM, it looks spot on paper, I've kinda wanted a Santa Cruz since the blur 4X days, but I'll wait and see what happens from other manufacturers. If I were buying now it's a Bronson, pikes, float X, xtr drive and brakes and the Leonardi cassette Jared Graves ran at Crankworx and industry nine hubs and light bicycle carbon rims. Tbh unless something absolutely astonishing is released before I can afford a new build that's probably what I'll end up with! :lol:
  • lawman wrote:
    The Bronson is the front-runner ATM, it looks spot on paper, I've kinda wanted a Santa Cruz since the blur 4X days, but I'll wait and see what happens from other manufacturers. If I were buying now it's a Bronson, pikes, float X, xtr drive and brakes and the Leonardi cassette Jared Graves ran at Crankworx and industry nine hubs and light bicycle carbon rims. Tbh unless something absolutely astonishing is released before I can afford a new build that's probably what I'll end up with! :lol:

TBH I was contemplating a XTR double setup but I have lined up a good deal on XX1. I will have to decide shortly on that part. Up to now mine will be getting XTR trail brakes, 2014 Talas 34's and some hope hoops with Flow EX rims until i can stretch to the enve's on 240s hubs. I rode some of the latest 2014 forks the other day and they blew me away. I like the 2013's but was always a little annoyed at the lack of difference betweent he 3 CTD settings. The 2014's were night and day better, if you have not ridden them give them a go. I did look atnthe Pivot mach 6 but it is imho not as good a all rounder as the Bronson.

I have seen the light bike rims, they seem to come up quite narrow? I have been looking at the Derby rims as well but they seem to be very wide! One thing putting me off the enve rims is the other week someone holed/cracked one on a trail I usually ride.
  • lawman
    the LB 650b AM wheels have a 23mm internal width, so the same as Enve's IIRC. Don't think you need much wider tbh, my crests are 21mm internal and I have very few issues with tyre roll, even with super wide Hans Dampfs. Enve's aren't really worth it when you can get 3 LB rims for the price of one Enve rim!!
  • lawman wrote:
    the LB 650b AM wheels have a 23mm internal width, so the same as Enve's IIRC. Don't think you need much wider tbh, my crests are 21mm internal and I have very few issues with tyre roll, even with super wide Hans Dampfs. Enve's aren't really worth it when you can get 3 LB rims for the price of one Enve rim!!

Yes I guess VFM is far better on the LB rims, the Enve is only 1mm wider internally. I can get Enve AM rims for about £560ish each.

Got about another 6-8 weeks until the Bronson will show up.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'm also thinking about a Bronson :) Maybe a Transition bandit or Nukeproof
  • Don't get the LB's, I've seen 4 sets in the last 2 months explode on the trail. I've only ever seen one Enve wheel blow up, and that was because of the Pinkbike wrecking crew. Seriously, even though they are expensive the Enve's will last you 3 times longer than the LB's. They come perfectly built if you buy the wheelsets pre-built and really are not that hard to build with.
  • lawman
    I've heard nothing but good things about the LB rims, and tbh even if they do go they're relatively cheap to replace. Whether I actually go for a set or stick with stan's rims I don't know though. Depends on my budget at the time :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't get the LB's, I've seen 4 sets in the last 2 months explode on the trail.

POIDH!

I'll almost certainly be getting some LB rims next time round, a couple of friends have them and they seem great.
  • Could just be them riding too hard or a shitty batch but they did explode....literally.
  • lawman
    Update time!! Well I say update, if you can call a good clean up and new brake pads an update!! :lol:

After the CCC2CC the Mojo was pretty beat up, running only three and a half chain ring bolts and some zip ties for three days, and spending most of the last day with rather worn brake pads. Going back to 2x10 was a godsend though, no way in hell would I have managed with 1x, even if I'd gone for a 30t chainring. It was an awesome weeks riding, an incredible adventure and we've raised nearly £3000 for a charity very close to my heart, so it was well worth the effort, of which at times it took an awful lot!!

The route took in some amazing trails, both natural and man-made, I very much found my groove on day 2 around Penmachno, actually started scaring myself towards the end, considering we still had 4 days to go it probably would've been wise to reign it in abit, but I was just having too much fun, can't wait to go back!

Here's a few pics from the week -

1384006_10200629018115967_2007938228_n.jpg

View of the lakes at the Marin trail, I could have stayed here for hours, by far and away one of the best views of the week and there were some pretty spectacular ones!

1383312_10200629037236445_1059678178_n.jpg

One of Richie63's action shots on the last day, down ZigZags at Afan, a great trail that I wish I was less tired to enjoy!

1375838_10151629199436951_1667362773_n.jpg

And finally reaching the finish line after 230+ miles and thankfully for me at least not a single crash all week! :D

Due to the issues I've had with the Slackline, I desperately needed to get out on a bike having not ridden for 3 weeks, and with the first Uni DH jam of the year yesterday, I had to sort the HD out in double quick time! I manged to get home and sort it all out and back to uni in under 24 hours, not bad considering 7 hours of that was travelling :lol:

1382299_447709808667891_866413747_n.jpg

Here's a shot from my first race run, having not crashed all week on the CCC2CC, first full run of practise and I binned it 2 corners from the end, there's a steep chute into a 90 degree corner and I carried way too much speed into it and went straight over the berm and into the bushes. Finally nailed it after backing off abit, but I was losing a lot of time on the final section, was very loose and steep, needed to practise more really, I only did 1 completely clean run before my first race run! Still I managed both race runs without crashing, and despite getting wild on the second I actually knocked a second off my first run, and hit my target time so was well happy and had a good laugh as well :D

Will probably treat the HD to a full fork/shock service in a few weeks and might get some ESI grips like I've got lined up for the Slackline. Plan is just to keep this up and running and perhaps in a year or so see what's about to replace this, but it's doing a bloody job convincing me not too atm!
  • lawman
    Wow, been a while since I updated this!! :shock: Been a few pretty major changes recently!

Back in December last year I happened to enter a Facebook competition being run by Shimano, basically you had to post a picture of your bike with Shimano parts on it and you'd be entered into the raffle, top prize being a complete Saint or XTR groupset. Fast forward to christmas eve and they announced the winner, which much to my astonishment was me!! :mrgreen: Naturally went for the complete XTR!

It arrived in January but being in my final semester at university has meant it's taken me until now to get it fitted. Sold what bits I didn't need like chainrings, front mech and switched the M987 race brakes for M988 trails and then it was time to get it fitted! :mrgreen:

photo11-2.jpg

photo31-2.jpg

Excuse the mismatched chainring bolts! :lol: Waiting for clee cycles to get some black kcnc xtr chainring bolts in stock which match the shape of the crank arms, so will look a little cleaner once I've got those. The cranks are gorgeous, got some crank skins on them to keep them shiny as well. Gonna be afraid of crank strikes that's for sure! got a 34t Raceface ring as well, was tempted by a 36t but gonna stick with a 34t for now.

photo41-1.jpg

Got an 11-36 XTR cassette but fitted a Hope T-rex and a 16t XT cog in place of the 15 and 17t cogs, super smooth shifting and was surprised by easy it was to set up! Range seems good, real test will be the peaks in a few weeks time!

photo21-2.jpg

Of all of it though the most impressive piece has to be the shifter. It is incredible. Super smooth, beautifully finished and it just feels incredible to use. Normally you can struggle to tell the difference between XT and XTR but going from a pretty much brand new XT shifter to the XTR I can really feel the difference. Top notch bit of kit!

photo1-1.jpg

Brakes feel pretty similar to XT's tbh, just shinier and perhaps a tad smoother at the lever, the dimples in the lever feel pretty good too. Gone up a rotor size on the rear as well to a 180mm rotor, still IceTech and the brakes came with the Ti backed Sintered Icetech pads, so needless to say I'm not gonna be replacing them with same when they wear out!! :lol:

Other than the XTR bling it's pretty much the same as before, got some of the new Easton Lock-on grips and so far I'm very impressed, love the rubber that folds over the clamps as I hold the bars right at the end so that's a welcome addition over the old SDG grips.

One thing that is bloody annoying was discovered when cleaning the bike pre-rebuild...

IMG_5266.jpg

Slight discolouration on the stanchions from where the sag o-ring had been sat for a few weeks as the bike hadn't been ridden :shock: According to Mojo it's because whatever you use to clean the bike (in my case soapy water) can supposedly get soaked up by the o-ring, though how the feck that manages to do this is beyond me. What makes it worse is they've done less than 250 miles since there last service and are apparently not covered under warranty :evil: Not impressed. I've stood by Fox for a long time but if soapy water can do that to a fork they need to look at how they manufacturer their products, because imo that is an utterly pathetic excuse. You can't feel it so Mojo say it shouldn't bugger the seals but it certainly doesn't look great and at nearly £230 for parts before labour I'm in no hurry to get them replaced.

On top of that as much as I love both this and the BFe keeping two bikes up and running is becoming both a pain and expensive, it's nice to have choice but I think looking back I actually enjoyed just having one bike to worry about and given the sizing on the Mojo coming up a little small I'm tempted to flog both and get myself something that's gonna fit as I'd like and last me for another 5 years or so like my old Maxlight did. I'll definitely be keeping the XTR stuff if I do decide to sell up though! Watch this space over the next few months!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Serves you right for not riding your bike! :wink: I'm going to check my revelations when I'm back, they havn't been used since I broke my collarbone two months ago. I dint think I used soapy water though so fingers crossed.

Can't believe you won all that kit you lucky bastard
  • lawman
    Serves you right for not riding your bike! :wink: I'm going to check my revelations when I'm back, they havn't been used since I broke my collarbone two months ago. I dint think I used soapy water though so fingers crossed.

Can't believe you won all that kit you lucky bastard

I'm gutted tbh, it's not pretty and if I do sell the forks for whatever reason it's gonna knock a fair bit off their value :(

I couldn't believe it either tbh, was a nice christmas present! :lol:

Tried it all out for the first time off road today and though some of it felt similar to xt, brakes for example, the shifters and cranks have blown me away, likewise the cassette and hope t-rex. The shifters are just plain awesome, super quick shifts and the ability to jump down two gears in one throw of the lever is cool. They feel super precise and bullet fast. Way, way better than XT shifters and well worth the extra imo.

The cranks, or rather the BB are plain awesome as well, mega stiff and the BB is so smooth I felt a noticeable reduction in drag through the drivetrain. It might sound like I'm over hyping it but it really did feel that smooth. I'll certainly only be getting XTR BB's from now on!

The Hope T-rex is awesome too, the shifting on and off it is perfect, and I reckon in a blind test you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and a normal cassette. I think the 16t cog helps as well, I didn't notice a different jump in gearing and the ratios all felt spot on, never felt there was an awkward step between any of the gears, just super smooth shifts and great performance! :D Overall I'm well chuffed with it, and the bike was great just got a little lower back pain towards the end which was a shame as my legs felt pretty fresh. But overall had a great day out at Cannock and looking forward to the peaks in a few weeks! :D
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    what a result! Good work!

XTR shifter is on the list for the Votec and XTR BB's are £25 on CRC so will give one a go when the Saint wears out
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Rubbish fox see ;)

otherwise looking tidy.. but you know what frame you need to replace all that with... carbon foxy ;)
  • lawman
    Rubbish fox see ;)

otherwise looking tidy.. but you know what frame you need to replace all that with... carbon foxy ;)

For once I'm not gonna defend Fox, I think it's pretty shocking tbh. I can just about live with the flex but this is taking the biscuit. Certainly be looking elsewhere next time I need new forks and/or shock.

As much I'm contemplating a 5010 the carbon Foxy does look very, very nice. Might have to have a sit on the one in tweeks next time I visit the mrs. The bottom spec one could be awesome with pikes, my xtr kit and some flashy wheels. The geometry looks great on paper but I've heard all sorts about the quality of the pivot hardware and the pressfit BB isn't remotely appealing to me. From a practical point of view I prefer the 5010 but I would love to have a go on the Foxy for sure.
  • Thewaylander
    SKyline cycles have one in for 2.8k at the moment.

not a perfect set up by a mile but get a ridable version of the bike which you can transfer stuff accross and all :)
  • Thewaylander
    Always said Fox uppers are awful quality, had so many issues in the past, sometimes you have to have it happen to you get what people mean by poor quality for the amount of money they cost!

Still in the future you will have a shiny pike im sure and trust me they are mint!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Pikes are just as shit, warrentys on the CSU, blown charger dampers and other problems. The 36 is where it's at! Did you get my pm on the Solo?
  • Thewaylander
    I see hear about far less issues on pikes than fox.. And pin my personal experience alot less issues so far :)
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I see hear about far less issues on pikes than fox.. And pin my personal experience alot less issues so far :)

Pikes have only been out for a bout year havnt they?
  • Thewaylander
    True, but i've had issues on floats 32 and talas 36, not just on one model. rarely hear many people complain as much about build across the rockshox range as you do on fox these days.

I mean if i was lawman i'd be spitting that they have marked so badly :( expensive bit of kit that.
  • lawman
    It took a great amount of restrain to not explode when I was emailing Mojo about it, but I guessed they probably wouldn't do anything about it. I think all products have their issues, until now I've had zero issues with the forks so for over 3 year old forks they've not done too bad and flex aside they've performed admirably, still think the RLC is the best damper Fox have ever done.

Yeah got your PM Rick, forgot to reply! Yet to get the list, my mate should be emailing me the lost sometime this week. He's ordered a 5010 with 140mm 36's but then he gets them at trade so I can't blame him! :lol: Tbh if money was no object I probably would as well, but when the Pikes are so much it's hard to justify the extra.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    lawman wrote:
    36's but then he gets them at trade so I can't blame him! :lol: Tbh if money was no object I probably would as well, but when the Pikes are so much it's hard to justify the extra.

My 36's are even less than trade :lol:
  • lawman
    Well after nearly 4 brilliant years it's time to move the Mojo on to a new home :( I'm not riding as much as I used to and I have a fair few things to save for this year, so I've decided to move her on while the 26" market is still reasonably strong. The Ad will be in the classifieds in the next hour or so.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I hope you are replacing it with something equally carbony and XTRy
  • lawman
    Well now she's gone :(
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I hope you are replacing it with something equally carbony and XTRy

I'll have to see, I might consider something in the near future but I still have the BFe for blasting around for now :)