Ibis Mojo HD

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Crundi wrote:
    I went round Cannock for the first time last weekend, me and the lads were very impressed with the new trails especially the last decent! I bet you scared yourself silly on a few of those swooping drops!

Your mates taken some cracking photos, he should come round and shoot my guitar/amp that I have up for sale!

yer the downhills are pretty sweet at cannock, nothing too hairy, but enough to get the adreneline pumping, had a few sketchy moments on some loose corners, but seeing as at night with my lights all you can see is the entry of a corner/berm and then you just have to hope its still there :lol: it handles drops really well, feels incredibly balanced in the air, and the dw link is seriously plush and controlled, its just a fantastic allround ride. Me and the photographer are heading over in a few weeks to get some action shots, so ill be sure to post them up on here :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    get that bike in wales for a thrashing mate :P your not far from the border to the holy lands :p
  • lawman
    get that bike in wales for a thrashing mate :P your not far from the border to the holy lands :p

got a few trips planned to Wales already :P definitely going up to llandegla at some point, and possibly to Afan and cwn carn later in the year, and to cap it all off i'm moving to Wales to go uni, so I'll have some awesome trails on my doorstep :D
  • Loving those new pics, very well done indeed.

I really enjoyed Cannock when we went. Only ever been to Cannock, Llandegla and Lee Quarry, but Cannock was definately my favourite. Lots of short climbs and short descents is where it's AT!
  • Thewaylander
    really?

Cannock your favourite? its alright for a flat area but bit dull, Where in wales you heading to uni fella?
  • lawman
    Cannocks a great place to ride these days, the trail builders have used the terrain really well, the climbs are ace, the descents are just about long enough, it's just a great place to ride, I reckon llandeglas slightly better, but imo my favourite place to ride is around the peak district, cutgate path especially, the speeds you can hit on those trails are crazy. I've yet to try a few of te other centres about, which I'll get round to doing this year, gotta get the miles in on this beast, I'll be leaving it with the 'rents when I go uni :( I'll be in te lovely town of aberystwyth, so should be plenty of trails about to rip up on the maxlight, and obviously the mojo when my mates come up :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    if Swansea is the uni of choice we'll have to meet up for a ride...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Yeh we did Monkey and it was great. Nice and flowing right the way round.
    Llandegla was good fun don't get me wrong, but it's pretty much just straight up 1 long boring fire road, then all the descent done in a few sections.
    Lee Quarry just wasn't my cuppa tea at all. Too bitty, very very short sections and seemingly no real way of linking them together properly more like a skills playground than a tail centre. Cragg Quarry was better, if not a little bit short.
    I'd like to try and get over to ride some more, but for me it's the traveling that's the real issue. Getting over to go riding is a bit of an operation, and time is limited if I don't want to be staying overnight.
  • joshtp
    get to a proper TC like Afan of Cwm! that's where you get proper riding!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    Hehe Go natural in Wales and you will find wild stuff.

Personally i found Cannock way to shallow, and most of it trying to make way to much of too little hight as i have said before, great trail in many respects of what has been acheived in such a flat unlikely area. But its a bit boring in comparison.

Llandegglla is an awful trail bar the black routes so it's not really much to compare too. You in for a treat in that area mate, some awesome wilderness type xc rides that way from what i've heard.
  • joshtp
    yeah... nat in Wales is awesome... cant wait to get back to riding it... this build is taking ages....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • lawman
    I thought llandegla was great, coupla red sections are abit boring, and the climbs are shocking, but IMO the decent sections are worth the trip. Interesting how opinions vary on the different centres about, some people say dalby's awful, but I freaking love it, the same for Cannock too, although before the monkey opened it was just to easy, if you knew it well you could get round on auto pilot and never have to break a sweat. When I move I'm hoping to get as much riding in as possible, so if any of the welsh peeps on here are organising a decent ride I'll see if I can tag along, cos who needs lectures when there's trails to be ridden :D
  • joshtp
    What uni?

if Swansea then I'll happily guide you round our local delights in exchange for a quick go on the mojo.... :wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lawman wrote:
    I thought llandegla was great, coupla red sections are abit boring, and the climbs are shocking, but IMO the decent sections are worth the trip.
    I love llandegla, it's great for a flat-out blast.
    However, I wouldn't reccomend that anyone travel far JUST for llandegla. It's a good bit of fun, but not worth hours of travelling, unless you're in the area anyway, or taking in a few different places.
  • lawman
    Josh I'm goin Aberystwyth, but swansea's pretty reacable by train, so yer cheers mate that'd be ace :) not sure about letting you loose with the mojo tho :P as I said earlier I'll be leaving it with my 'rents, which is why I kept the maxlight as a second bike, but I'll get the guys I ride with to bring it over whenever we head somewhere "epic" :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Aberystwyth? ooooooh (sucks air in through teeth, mechanic stylee)
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    I thought llandegla was great, coupla red sections are abit boring, and the climbs are shocking, but IMO the decent sections are worth the trip.
    I love llandegla, it's great for a flat-out blast.
    However, I wouldn't reccomend that anyone travel far JUST for llandegla. It's a good bit of fun, but not worth hours of travelling, unless you're in the area anyway, or taking in a few different places.

Couldn't agree more yeehaa, I ride there probably once or twice a year, it's only about an hour and a half from where I am atm, so we can justify making a day of it, which great because I think it's a decent trail. I have 2 or 3 MTB holidays a year, so we usually hit a few centres or do a few big natural rides, this year I nearly ended up going to California for 3 weeks, but I'm having to be content with staying in the uk for now :lol:
  • joshtp
    Aber to Swansea is actually a 6 hour mission by train.. the train stops at Milford... so you have to go through wales and down again through Bristol... :( although apparently they will be finishing the link soon.... which will be good as it will make north Wales by train a proper option...

Whatever though... a bit of Swansea riding is always fun if you can get down here...

Quote yeeha :

"

Aberystwyth? ooooooh (sucks air in through teeth, mechanic stylee)"

awesome!

Aber is a dump! (only joking, it's alight... bit small, but lots of good riding, and lush coastline... not too far from the awesome Pemrokshire too... so long as you stay away from the honeypots of tenby and the other big towns.)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Why on god's green earch would you go down to Swansea to ride if you're in Aber? You're not far from Penmachno, and just a little further is Coed y Brenin. In fact, you're on the outskirts of "proper mountain" territory there.

Aberystwyth Uni is an odd one. It is a VERY Welsh-language centric Uni and atmosphere though.
    And have i mentioned, that the unusual Aberystwyth area accent is the only one I completely fail to understand from Wales? :lol:
  • joshtp
    of course you wouldn't.... the riding here is crap... but it's always fun to ride somewhere new....

Aber is a funny place, weird accent, very welsh, tiny Uni, strange people. But still a pretty cool place somehow... though my mate from Aber died in the car on the way to college there last week, so that's totally crap.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thewaylander
    To be honest the trails in north wales in terms of trail centers are no better, just a few more of them.

Now natural rding i'd be interested in knowing about mind :lots of good stuff alll over the shop :p
  • lawman
    sounds like ill have an awesome variety of stuff to ride when i get there then :D i hear nant yr arian is pretty close too, is that any good?
  • Thewaylander
    not ridden heard loads though, on my list for this year, meant to be more classic XC feeling very wild an out there a bit more compared to the normal 5k from trail center safe feeling alot of them have.

Looking forward to trying them :p
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Lawman, my best mate goes to uni in aber, absolutely loves it! Even though he isnt in to mtb or cycling he gets the epic welsh countryside whilst I am stuck in the middle of one of the flattest counties in england, brilliant!
  • That bike just made me change my underwear, absolutely lovely! Love the frame, especially the color, and the spec looks amazing!
  • lawman
    thanks all the comments guys, nice to see you like it as much as i do :D as much as i say its finished, it still needs a few finishing blingy touches to finsih it off, so i'll keep you posted on what i bling it out with, probably just a few bits of green here and there i think 8) i'll write a decent(ish) review of its all going in a few weeks after its had a few more hard rides, so i'll bore you all with a stupidly long indepth impression of how it all rides :lol:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I don't usually get the "I wants" when looking at other people's bikes... but in this instance I have to make an exception. I would love to try one of these.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • lawman
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I don't usually get the "I wants" when looking at other people's bikes... but in this instance I have to make an exception. I would love to try one of these.

it has that impression on alot of people :lol: I'm so glad I went for this now, it looks fantastic, it rides superbly and it's the kinda bike I just want to ride everyday, never have I had a bike where everyday I think, "yes let's go for a ride" and this just screams ride me everytime I look at it, which is something the maxlight never really did, even though it's arguably IMO the best trail hardtail frame around for the money. I have to say though both the mojo HD or SL are fantastic bikes, and Ibis really have made some of the most beautiful frames around in recent years, if they made a long travel hardtail I'd have one in an instant, think I'm turning into abit of an Ibis fan :lol:
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    for long travel hardtail look at the ibis tranny easily fits a 150mm fork, a few of the guys i know ride them

check here for more ibis builds
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-ibis- ... 90?sk=wall
    what are brakes for again
  • lawman
    I was fairly certain that the tranny was for 120mm forks max, otherwise it'd be like riding a chopper :? The tranny is a great bike, but for what I want it's a little to compromised in certain areas, the fork length being the key one, but I'm also not too keen on the whole bolt on rear end thing, too much to go wrong with that and possibly wrecking a frame putting on forks that are too long, although I dare say that they'll have time to make a frame that fits my hardtail needs, I won't be making another purchase like this for a while :lol: having said that, they do take they're time testing stuff, they're making a 29er fs bike that's already been in development for 2 and a half years and they expect prototypes to be ready for eurobike in September, so I won't hold my breath :lol: