Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    Velonutter wrote:
    Here's my daughters bike finished now, frame is a 48cm from Carbonzone and came in at 1040g, forks were 325g.

Delivery was 5 working days, all the threads were nice and clean, alignment appears perfect and for £210 + £45 delivery I honestly can't complain, they threw in a free headset as well.

After placing the order I placed another order for the Carbon Bars, Carbon Seat Post, Carbon Stem, Carbon Spacers and Carbon wrapped seat clamp all for £70 including postage, unfortunately they couldn't add it to the order as it had already been despatched!

My daughter has done about 600 miles on it now and she is really quite pleased and noticed the difference from her previous Kinesis, she is riding it from London to Paris next week, 375 Miles so that will be a further test for it.

laurello_1.jpg

is it the FR-009?
    Looks great! Why didnt they make the reatr brake route internal?
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    lots and lots of happy customers by the sounds of it :D
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    dcurzon wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Here's my daughters bike finished now, frame is a 48cm from Carbonzone and came in at 1040g, forks were 325g.

Delivery was 5 working days, all the threads were nice and clean, alignment appears perfect and for £210 + £45 delivery I honestly can't complain, they threw in a free headset as well.

After placing the order I placed another order for the Carbon Bars, Carbon Seat Post, Carbon Stem, Carbon Spacers and Carbon wrapped seat clamp all for £70 including postage, unfortunately they couldn't add it to the order as it had already been despatched!

My daughter has done about 600 miles on it now and she is really quite pleased and noticed the difference from her previous Kinesis, she is riding it from London to Paris next week, 375 Miles so that will be a further test for it.

laurello_1.jpg

is it the FR-009?
    Looks great! Why didnt they make the reatr brake route internal?

I don't know the model number, but here is the listing number: - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300553332450
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Velonutter - you didn't buy from Carbonzone then - you bought from carbonbicycle - or are they one and the same?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    mroli wrote:
    Velonutter - you didn't buy from Carbonzone then - you bought from carbonbicycle - or are they one and the same?

You know I hadn't noticed that until now :?

Not sure if they are the same company, but they offered fantastic service and excellent prices. :D 8)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Frame has been ordered in the below design

frame.jpg

It will be interesting to see how good the paint job is.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Frame has been ordered in the below design

frame.jpg

It will be interesting to see how good the paint job is.

If Carbonzone source the frame from Dengfu the paint job will be first class :D Mine is.
  • Tonight I'm going for my first ride on my FM028. Hopefully the bike and I will survive the 23 miles :D

[img][/img]5881510348_31e5afdd03_z.jpg
    P1010071 by Some_Bikes, on Flickr
  • petemadoc
    "Eagerly awaits ride report" . . . .
  • PeteMadoc wrote:

It's my first ever ride on a carbon frame.

Love my Klein Quantum had it since 2001. When I moved/upgraded to my Cervelo Soloist Team I wasn't impressed, I go so far as to say I was disappointed until maybe about half a dozen rides in when I began to settle in. After that I got to like it a lot, then love it and still do some 3,000 miles+ later.

My 2011 Boardman Road Team is a great bike for the money but it's no Klein or Cervelo.

But my new FM028, well, wow. No, WOW what an amazing first impression. OK it was only about 20 miles but it is so smooth, truly impressive, I was genuinely surprised with how little road vibration I felt.

My MicroSHIFT Arsis needs a little tweaking and I'll change the tyres apart from that I'd say 8 out of 10. Once I've done the above minor changes it will be a high nine. :D
  • petemadoc
    PeteMadoc wrote:

It's my first ever ride on a carbon frame.

Love my Klein Quantum had it since 2001. When I moved/upgraded to my Cervelo Soloist Team I wasn't impressed, I go so far as to say I was disappointed until maybe about half a dozen rides in when I began to settle in. After that I got to like it a lot, then love it and still do some 3,000 miles+ later.

My 2011 Boardman Road Team is a great bike for the money but it's no Klein or Cervelo.

But my new FM028, well, wow. No, WOW what an amazing first impression. OK it was only about 20 miles but it is so smooth, truly impressive, I was genuinely surprised with how little road vibration I felt.

My MicroSHIFT Arsis needs a little tweaking and I'll change the tyres apart from that I'd say 8 out of 10. Once I've done the above minor changes it will be a high nine. :D

Glad you like it :D

I considered microshift but poor reviews and a full 105 groupset from merlin for £315 blew that idea out of the water.

What tyres are you rockin, I find tyres make a massive difference to the ride so I plan to use the same wheels and tyres as before so as not to give a skewed impression of the frame itself.
  • GoingCarbon
    GoingCarbon Posts: 99
    edited June 2011
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Glad you like it :D

I considered microshift but poor reviews and a full 105 groupset from merlin for £315 blew that idea out of the water.

What tyres are you rockin, I find tyres make a massive difference to the ride so I plan to use the same wheels and tyres as before so as not to give a skewed impression of the frame itself.

The tyres in the wheels were Vittoria Zaffiro but I've changed to a pair of Continental Grand Prix for tomorrow's ride.

I've got 105 on both the Klein & Boardman and Ultegra on my Cervelo. And as a fan I did consider Shimano again. But I also think sometimes you gotta look outside the box, hence me trying microSHIFT Arsis.

Conversely I read a couple of favourable reviews about MicroSHIFT and Cofidis have started trial with it which I doubt they'd do if they were as poor as some perceive.

http://road.cc/content/review/14420-mic ... d-groupset

My first ride with MicroSHIFT Arsis is no different to my first rides (new builds) with 105 and Ultegra namely they need a minor adjustment of the cables/derailleurs which I can do myself.

And long-term hopefully the decision to go with Arsis doesn't come back and bite me on Ars(e)is :D
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Velonutter wrote:

laurello_1.jpg

Just looking at the pic I'm wondering about the saddle/ handlebars position and thinking maybe it would be better if you push the saddle back 2-3 cm and use a shorter stem? This will put more weight on the rear wheel and will possibly make the ride more comfortable, especially on the long rides? As it is it looks very much like a TT setup...
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I can,t wait to get my Chinarello but it,s still in Dutch customs and has been since 3rd June If they don,t release it by Friday then i have a big problem :cry:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Stevo C
    Stevo C Posts: 132
    Anyone seen this?

http://road.cc/content/review/37954-onix-azzuro

Interesting to see Hongfu pop up in the article. Leaves me unsure as to how I feel about it all. On the one hand I'm pleased that Onix have been found out regarding their claims to design input, on the other hand, I'm slightly dissapointed to learn that Hongfu build frames to a differing spec from the same mould.

Would be interesting to see a comparison between the Onix and a FM001 - does the T1000 and inflatable rubber thing actually make a difference? Or is it something for the marketing dept to get hold of?
    cheers

Steve
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Steve,
    I guess it comes down to cost and what you are willing to pay. The article notes:

We contacted Hong Fu and asked what their FM001 frame is made from. It's Toray T700 carbon. T700 is more commonly used in the bike industry than T1000 but it's not as stiff and has a lower tensile strength

Onix admit its an open frame with different material/manufacturing process, but the frameset is £999 .99 compared to £165. So you could buy 6 framesets from Hongfu for the 1 of Onix. It is also noted (and Hongfu were open) that itis made from T700, which is common in the bike indusrty (not that I would personally know). That is what many people on this thread look at and it is one of the factors people decide in their purchase process.

I am in the same situation. For example - GOTO bike have a TT frameset called the TT233, which looks amazingly similar to the PX Exocet. If you contact GOTO they will not sell you the TT233 in the UK, as there is an 'exclusive' deal (you're OKi f you live in France or anywhere else). It may just be a coincidence, but I personally think not. Notw if you buy the up to 10 of the frame, GOTO will sell you the frame and forks for $610, more discout is available for more orders. PX sell the Excoet frame and forks for £850 ($1360).

In the end I am looking at Carbonzone, as the costs are coming in cheaper overall for the frame and clinchers (plus they will do mis-matched wheel sizes), and I like the fact their frame hides the rear caliper behind the BB. I know it may not be a Shiv or a Slice, but the frame is 15-20% of the cost.

Just my $0.02

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • pabosotf
    pabosotf Posts: 23
    Tonight I'm going for my first ride on my FM028. Hopefully the bike and I will survive the 23 miles :D

In my opinion that is a very nice looking bike.
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    GoingCarbon do you have an link to that supplier ebay shop ?. Im new to this chinese frame thingy and that looks bloody lovely.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    I have a Cannondale Six13 with what certainly looks like a terminal crack in the frame.

Would there be any specific problems with taking the fork and other components from the Six13 and swapping them onto one of these fames?

I know I'd probably have to get a new chainset as my current one is BB30 and really it's the fork and headset that I'm wondering about.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edindevon
  • petemadoc
    Edindevon wrote:
    I have a Cannondale Six13 with what certainly looks like a terminal crack in the frame.

Would there be any specific problems with taking the fork and other components from the Six13 and swapping them onto one of these fames?

I know I'd probably have to get a new chainset as my current one is BB30 and really it's the fork and headset that I'm wondering about.

Edindevon

There is no reason why you can't buy one of these frames and transfer your components over. There are BB30 frames available and if you already have a BB30 chainset I'd get a BB30 frame. Most of the frames come with a fork and headset so I'd probably stick with the matching ones.

BB30 frames - there's one on ebay from carbonzone which I've just bought and there's an FM757 from Gotobike which looks good too.
  • edindevon
    Okay, thanks very much.

I was thinking I wanted to keep my old forks as they are decent (Reynold's Ouzo Pro), but if it's easier, I'm happy to buy frame and forks together.

Edindevon
  • petemadoc
    You don't have to buy the forks, they just match the frames usually. I'd assume your current forks would fit a new frame. I don't know much about headsets but most of these frames come with them.

Bad news about your Cannondale, where is the crack and how old is the frame?
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    Edindevon wrote:

Edindevon

can you post some photos of the crack?
    what year six13?
    i'm guessing its a raw hi bright (clear) finish rather than a painted one, am i correct?
    has the frame been crashed, dropped or suffered any major damage before the crack appeared?
    before changing the frame get it assessed at a cannondale dealer, it may not be a crack, simply "snail trail" in lacquer finish
    if it is a crack it may be covered by cannondale's lifetime warranty though you would need to be the original owner
  • pabosotf wrote:
    Tonight I'm going for my first ride on my FM028. Hopefully the bike and I will survive the 23 miles :D

In my opinion that is a very nice looking bike.

Thx pabosotf.... I too think it looks good in this pic but it looks even better in reality and it rides so smooth :D
  • carbon337 wrote:
    GoingCarbon do you have an link to that supplier ebay shop ?. Im new to this chinese frame thingy and that looks bloody lovely.

Hi carbon337, I didn't get it via ebay I went straight to Dengfu (www.dengfubikes.com)and ordered it from Mina. I sent a couple of emails, chatted on Skype (dengfubike), sent a rough mock-up from Adobe Photoshop (trial version), paid my money and a couple of weeks later the frame arrived.
  • edindevon
    tri-sexual wrote:
    Edindevon wrote:

Edindevon

can you post some photos of the crack?
    what year six13?
    i'm guessing its a raw hi bright (clear) finish rather than a painted one, am i correct?
    has the frame been crashed, dropped or suffered any major damage before the crack appeared?
    before changing the frame get it assessed at a cannondale dealer, it may not be a crack, simply "snail trail" in lacquer finish
    if it is a crack it may be covered by cannondale's lifetime warranty though you would need to be the original owner

Thanks for your interest. I won't hijack this thread, so I'll post a new thread with a picture in the Workshop forum.

It's an 05 Saeco team replica. To me it's 100% a real crack near the bottom of the seat tube. I bought the bike 2nd hand a couple of years ago and I haven't had any crashes or anything like that. The crack just appeared the other day, though there has been some creaking noise for a few weeks.

Edindevon
  • petemadoc
    My frame has been shipped, exciting
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    There also seems to be a load of frames from ebay user carbon_bicycle for only £250 delivered such as this one (there's a bunch of others too)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-Carbon-12K-5 ... 585wt_1139

So why is no one talking about these frames which are £100 cheaper than carbonzone and the FM015 or FM028? Does anyone have one? [/img]

ive got one- it arrived yesterday 7 days after i ordered it! no customs duty to pay as they marked it as 'bike parts' worth $35

first ride out on it today- did 40 miles and im impressed- smooth and responsive, reacts to putting the power down very quickly and very stable- easy to ride no hands, slight brake rub at the front when pushing hard out of the saddle but i did have the front brake set close. nothing came loose or fell off either!

need to figure out how to put a picture up now!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mowflow
    mowflow Posts: 212
    I'd be interested in seeing pics. I'm thinking about getting one of the carbon_bicycle ones.