Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Here we are - almost finished Chinarello Dogpoo with 88mm Chune wheels, (real) powertap SL+, DA 7900 throughout (except the cassette, who'd use a £120 consumable?). Just need to change the seatpost (a Chontrager xxx-lite for something that fits oval rails), bottle cages (Chinarello didn't come with bottle cage bolts FFS) and cable ends and Robert will indeed be my fathers brother. And all for less than a real Dogma frame and fork. Awesome.

vdzos4.jpg
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Here we are - almost finished Chinarello Dogpoo with 88mm Chune wheels, (real) powertap SL+, DA 7900 throughout (except the cassette, who'd use a £120 consumable?). Just need to change the seatpost (a Chontrager xxx-lite for something that fits oval rails), bottle cages (Chinarello didn't come with bottle cage bolts FFS) and cable ends and Robert will indeed be my fathers brother. And all for less than a real Dogma frame and fork. Awesome.

vdzos4.jpg

Look,s really good. Who did you order the Chinarello from, if you dont mind me asking.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Chinarello Dogpoo lol! Don't put it down, it looks mega.

Are the wheels tubs or clinchers and how heavy are they?

P_Tucker wrote:

vdzos4.jpg
  • P_Tucker
    Dunno who the supplier is actually, a mate sorted it out for me. Somewhere in China that apparently manufactures for both Pinarello and Bontrager (the seatpost is, I'm convinced, absolutely genuine).

The wheels are clinchers and weigh about a tonne. However, they'll be great for chipping around motor racing circuits.

Also, I need to get a smaller spacer to go on top of my stem. I'm too close to sportive rider for comfort.
  • ademort
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Dunno who the supplier is actually, a mate sorted it out for me. Somewhere in China that apparently manufactures for both Pinarello and Bontrager (the seatpost is, I'm convinced, absolutely genuine).

The wheels are clinchers and weigh about a tonne. However, they'll be great for chipping around motor racing circuits.

Also, I need to get a smaller spacer to go on top of my stem. I'm too close to sportive rider for comfort.

Iv,e ordered one in White/Red/Silver but it,s still in customs and has been since 3rd June, am getting very frustrated.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • P_Tucker
    ademort wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Iv,e ordered one in White/Red/Silver but it,s still in customs and has been since 3rd June, am getting very frustrated.
    Ademort

Annoying. Mine sailed straight through, charge free, as it was marked as a warranty return. Not at my request, incidentally.
  • ademort
    P_Tucker wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Ademort

Annoying. Mine sailed straight through, charge free, as it was marked as a warranty return. Not at my request, incidentally.

I live in the Netherlands and unfortunately the customs have cottoned on to the fact that these parts from China marked as Gift and warranty replacement or with low value are in most cases a scam. In my case the supplier put a value of the package as $30 for a frame, bars and seatpost.As a result the customs may hold my parcel for 30 working days before releasing it, and that,s exactly what they are doing. There is an enormous thread in the Dutch cycling forums about this. It,s a shame you cant read it.As and when my frame arrives i will certainly put some pictures up for all to see. My patience is wearing thin. :x
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • velovie-vitesse300r.jpg

I'm sure Velo Vie are just wrapping chinarello's in their own graphics but does anyone know which Chinese factory/frame they are using?

I quite like the 'aero' seat tube less keen on Velo Vie's styling...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    P_Tucker wrote:
    And all for less than a real Dogma frame and fork. Awesome.
    Any reason you went for a Dogma copy? Just asking because I think that that bike would look pretty amazing without trying to pass itself off as something that it isn't?

ps - is the saddle a little tilted "up"? :)
  • Davey C
    Davey C Posts: 80
    mroli wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Any reason you went for a Dogma copy? Just asking because I think that that bike would look pretty amazing without trying to pass itself off as something that it isn't?

What is equally amazing is pi55ing off a load of dentists who allowed themselves to be gangbanged by the Pinarello marketing department.
  • P_Tucker
    mroli wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Yeah, basically I like the look of Pinarellos, three grand is a meaningful amount of money to me and I'm not stupid enough to think that a real Pinarello is worth 10 times more than my frame. Basically, I'm a tight poser.

Saddle attached just for photographic purposes, as noted its not compatible with the oval rails of my Carbon Flite so I couldn't be arsed to adjust it properly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Yeah, basically I like the look of Pinarellos, three grand is a meaningful amount of money to me and I'm not stupid enough to think that a real Pinarello is worth 10 times more than my frame. Basically, I'm a tight poser.

What refreshing honesty about your, errrr, dishonesty :lol: Much better than the previous bloke with one of these who seemed to be trying to pretend he'd tell everyone it wasn't the real thing!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • P_Tucker
    Rolf F wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

What refreshing honesty about your, errrr, dishonesty :lol: Much better than the previous bloke with one of these who seemed to be trying to pretend he'd tell everyone it wasn't the real thing!

Oh, I'll tell everyone its not real. Especially people with real Pinarellos. Then I'll laugh at them. And when they explain how the "feel" of the asymetric tear-drop seatstays are worth the extra money, I'll laugh even harder. And when we go over a gravel section and stones are clucking against carbon, I'll probably fall of my bike clutching my sides. Then I'll get one the phone and order another one. It'll be like my frame is a CAT, in that it has nine lives (and I'll still have a couple of hundred left over)
  • mcrdave
    I like this attitude a lot! Very funny.

The icing on the cake is that your frame is probably lighter than the real thing.

I wonder if anyone has done that weigh off yet?

P_Tucker wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Oh, I'll tell everyone its not real. Especially people with real Pinarellos. Then I'll laugh at them. And when they explain how the "feel" of the asymetric tear-drop seatstays are worth the extra money, I'll laugh even harder. And when we go over a gravel section and stones are clucking against carbon, I'll probably fall of my bike clutching my sides. Then I'll get one the phone and order another one. It'll be like my frame is a CAT, in that it has nine lives (and I'll still have a couple of hundred left over)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Basically, I'm a tight poser.
    :lol:

I like the look of these - but I kind of like the idea of getting a personalised frame - you know, you can say - yeah, I had my man in China make me a carbon frame with a personalised paint job. There are a lot dogmas out there, its getting a bit like when everyone started wearing Ralph Lauren shirts!

I love the fact that my carbon wheels cost me a fraction of what I would have bought them for here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mcrdave wrote:

More subversive would be to get a plain black one and pretend it is a real Dogma you had repainted to look like a Chinarello :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Mine arrived today. It weighed in at 1100g frame, and a hefty 400g for the uncut forks.

Had a little tinker with the headset and ended up fitting it, not sure what the fuss is about with headsets, everything seemed to go together nicely. Of course I could be proven wrong when the thing falls apart on the first ride, let's hope not.

So just need to cut the steerer and fit the BB30 bearings which I'll have a go at tomorrow.

Frame quality seems . . . . well .......freeking excellent TBH. I don't have a Colnago in the shed to compare it to but so far, all good! Will post some pics soon.
  • mcrdave
    Hehe, really messing with my head now... #lost
    Rolf F wrote:
    mcrdave wrote:

More subversive would be to get a plain black one and pretend it is a real Dogma you had repainted to look like a Chinarello :lol:
  • cabbage1879
    cabbage1879 Posts: 113
    edited July 2011
    After reading through all 44 pages, the most popular frame seems to be the FM 028 from carbonbicycles.

But what do you think of this one. I seen the Dogma frame in a various array of colours and with free posting as well!!

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/900790
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    After reading through all 44 pages, the most popular frame seems to be the FM 028 from carbonbicycles.

But what do you think of this one. I seen the Dogma frame in a various array of colours and with free posting as well!!

Is it invisible?
  • cabbage1879
    Forgot to add the link.

:oops:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Forgot to add the link.

:oops:

I think thats generally where people are ordering from, if you pay by paypal they dont release payment until you've received the goods
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I know what you mean Yaya, the problem is that the stem is already a 90mm and as it is a girl riding the frame rather than a lad they have shorter torso's so in order to get the right reach and the correct alignment over the pedals then have had to push the seat forward.

Don't forget ladies saddles are shorter than men's as well.

My daughter rode nearly 400 miles the week before last on it and claimed it was very comfortable, so hopefully have got things right!
    yaya wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Here's my daughters bike finished now, frame is a 48cm from Carbonzone and came in at 1040g, forks were 325g.

Delivery was 5 working days, all the threads were nice and clean, alignment appears perfect and for £210 + £45 delivery I honestly can't complain, they threw in a free headset as well.

After placing the order I placed another order for the Carbon Bars, Carbon Seat Post, Carbon Stem, Carbon Spacers and Carbon wrapped seat clamp all for £70 including postage, unfortunately they couldn't add it to the order as it had already been despatched!

My daughter has done about 600 miles on it now and she is really quite pleased and noticed the difference from her previous Kinesis, she is riding it from London to Paris next week, 375 Miles so that will be a further test for it.

laurello_1.jpg

Just looking at the pic I'm wondering about the saddle/ handlebars position and thinking maybe it would be better if you push the saddle back 2-3 cm and use a shorter stem? This will put more weight on the rear wheel and will possibly make the ride more comfortable, especially on the long rides? As it is it looks very much like a TT setup...
  • ademort

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/900790

That,s where i ordered my frame from. It,s still in customs so sadly i cannot comment on the quality as yet. Pictures and a short summary of how it handles are to follow, as and when it arrives.

Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

That's funny I was laughing at you for buying a fake bike and dressing it up as something it's not.
  • P_Tucker
    That's funny I was laughing at you for buying a fake bike and dressing it up as something it's not.

Ah well, the important thing is that I haven't let the Pinarello marketing department roger me up the ar$e. Some people like that sort of thing though, and there's nothing wrong with that. But personally, I'd rather have an extra 3 grand in the bank and not require incontinence pads.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    The Pinarello's from speedylee are terrible terrible terrible!! A friend of mine bought one and brought it round for me to build for him, it was bloody awful, from a distance looked the dogs, but once you get up close, there were lumps of carbon i had to scrape out with a stanley knife just to get the brake nuts inside the forks, which chipped the paint badly. Lumps of carbon painted over where the gears thread through, the carbon for the steerer was so so thin I chucked a few bungs down there as I was just so worried when i tightened the stem it might just split. Bought official pinarello seat pins and headset, seat tube i had to file down as was almost an inch long, which no seat clamp in the world would fit round, and the headset would only fit the awful one they provided. Also had to get the bottom bracket in had to re-thread it.

Having said all of that lol, once it was finished, and the paint sufficiently chipped away, it rode quite well and felt nice and stiff, he's pleased as punch with it, but was a bit of an epic build.

This isn't a hate rampage against all these chinese carbon frames, think its a great idea and do love most of the pics posted in this thread, but as a warning, would avoid Speedylee.
  • P_Tucker
    To counter that, mine was pretty decent. The fork required a tiny bit of sanding, which is par for the course anyway, and the BB threads were full of crap which took the LBS 2 minutes to chase out. Otherwise, no problems.
  • cabbage1879
    JRooke wrote:
    The Pinarello's from speedylee are terrible terrible terrible!! A friend of mine bought one and brought it round for me to build for him, it was bloody awful, from a distance looked the dogs, but once you get up close, there were lumps of carbon i had to scrape out with a stanley knife just to get the brake nuts inside the forks, which chipped the paint badly. Lumps of carbon painted over where the gears thread through, the carbon for the steerer was so so thin I chucked a few bungs down there as I was just so worried when i tightened the stem it might just split. Bought official pinarello seat pins and headset, seat tube i had to file down as was almost an inch long, which no seat clamp in the world would fit round, and the headset would only fit the awful one they provided. Also had to get the bottom bracket in had to re-thread it.

Having said all of that lol, once it was finished, and the paint sufficiently chipped away, it rode quite well and felt nice and stiff, he's pleased as punch with it, but was a bit of an epic build.

This isn't a hate rampage against all these chinese carbon frames, think its a great idea and do love most of the pics posted in this thread, but as a warning, would avoid Speedylee.

That's good to know, as you say they look great in the photos. I'm not expecting total perfection but at the same time i don't want a piece of rubbish either, but at that price you can't really complain about a few wee issues.

I have a month or so before i order one anyway. Carbonbicycles look good, but without seeing their paint finishes i might just wait and see what ademort says about his when it turns up and take it from there.
  • cabbage1879
    P_Tucker wrote:
    To counter that, mine was pretty decent. The fork required a tiny bit of sanding, which is par for the course anyway, and the BB threads were full of crap which took the LBS 2 minutes to chase out. Otherwise, no problems.

How much did it cost all in? And what about import charges?