Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    EkO wrote:
    There is a special tool available, I work for a Sealey stockist and I know that they make a set for it.
    http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16

But I'm sure there will be a cheaper version in Machine Mart or similar? Maybe even ask a local car bodyshop or mechanic, they may have one you can use for 2 seconds?

Cheers for that!
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    You need a rivnut tool to tighten up the bottle screws
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I am very much liking the turn in this thread ... Cheap is just that in the end ... No warranty, no comeback other than badmouthing on the web ...

It's the eqiivelant of the zip busting on your no-name jeans ... But feel free to post the pics of your piss stained pants ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am very much liking the turn in this thread ... Cheap is just that in the end ... No warranty, no comeback other than badmouthing on the web ...

It's the eqiivelant of the zip busting on your no-name jeans ... But feel free to post the pics of your wee-wee stained pants ...

I had the same problem with the bottle cage bolt holders in my 2.3k titanium frame to be fair...
  • Percy Vera

It's the eqiivelant of the zip busting on your no-name jeans ... But feel free to post the pics of your wee-wee stained pants ...

And I could have bought the exact same frame with Veloce and a DeRosa badge for £2k. Instead I paid £300 for frame only. :D

I'm not bad mouthing, just letting people know and getting advice. Luckily I did as I may be able to fix it my end. I think most people think it's worth a punt at those prices. If it had of been a DeRosa I probably would have brought it back to the shop and they would have sent it off.

Carbonzone have said to send it back and they will cover Shipping if it's a defect, but I don't think I'll bother. I'll try that special tool and if that doesn't work I'll try some super glue. :D
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I'll try some super glue.

Wouldn't use cyano, I'd use epoxy.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Percy Vera
    I'll try some super glue.

Wouldn't use cyano, I'd use epoxy.

Cheers for that! :D
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Percy,
    No idea where you live, but I have a RivNut tool you can borrow. I am in Essex. I also build cars in my spare time... totally agree on the epoxy.

If you want slightly cheaper, try somewhere like www.cbsonline.co.uk , or the dreaded eBay.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    right, i think i'm going to buy a carbon frame for the missus and build it up with second hand components.

will be a 50cm frame - which frame would people recommend for someone coming from an occassional ride on a crappy mountain bike?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    pjm300 wrote:
    right, i think i'm going to buy a carbon frame for the missus and build it up with second hand components.

will be a 50cm frame - which frame would people recommend for someone coming from an occassional ride on a crappy mountain bike?

I think that the FM028 is generally considered the more sportive/relaxed geometry style bike as it has a slightly longer head tube so I'd go for that. It'll still be a massive change for her if she's not ridden a road bike before.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    pjm300 wrote:

Boardman?
  • pjm300
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    pjm300 wrote:

I think that the FM028 is generally considered the more sportive/relaxed geometry style bike as it has a slightly longer head tube so I'd go for that. It'll still be a massive change for her if she's not ridden a road bike before.

do you have a link for this frame?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    pjm300 wrote:

My daughter is 5ft 6" and I bought her the 48" sloping of this model, they aren't listing anymore that size but a quick message to them might turn up some more: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-12k-Car ... 25637e56bb

Turns out to be a brilliant frame, really really well built.
  • pjm300
    thank you :)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
  • petemadoc
    pjm300 wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    pjm300 wrote:

do you have a link for this frame?

The common place to buy the FM028 is from Dengfu bikes here

http://dengfubikes.com/product.asp?id=2&classid=21

You can also get it from carbonzone on ebay I think
  • waterford123
    waterford123 Posts: 172
    Nothing relevant to say. I just wanted to be the 800th post. F**k im bored.
  • Wow, 800!

I started this post a while back, hopefully now that I have my frame and almost all the components my FM028 will be built before this thread reaches 1,000 :)
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Has anyone any idea about this frame? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3632wt_912

I love my cervelo s1 but Im getting back pain, I dont have that much £££ so have to look at all options as a replacement and this caught my eye.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Has anyone any idea about this frame? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3632wt_912.

It's a Dengfu FM028, plenty of info above
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • warrior4life
    Ahhh, Many thanks.

What about this company?
    http://www.swiftcarbon.com/category/com ... tml#photos
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    Update on my order.

Ordered a FM028 non-isp in matt 3k finish from Carbonzone on the 6th June. Also got a headset, spacers, seatpost and spare mech hanger.

It was shipped by Echo on the 16th and to my surprise it arrived yesterday, the 21st. No customs charge as it was declared as a sample with low value.

Opened it up last night and everything is there. Frame is perfect apart from 2 slight marks. I'm ok with this as they are very small and it seems a matt finish will mark easily.

I didn't think it would arrive so quick (and painlessly) so I haven't even sourced all the parts yet. Still need to get a compact chainset (SRAM Rival), shiftes, barrel adjusters and a rear mech.

It will be a winter build with muguards. Will post photos when the build starts...
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Ahhh, Many thanks.

What about this company?

Looks like same as the Ribble Stealth and De Rosa R838

See my post on this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/MTB/forums/vie ... 5a11083b8c
  • petemadoc
    OK so after months of faffing around I finally ordered a De Rosa/ Ribble stealth style bike through carbonzone on ebay. £360 posted Will keep you posted how it goes.
  • warrior4life
    Poulsy wrote:
    Ahhh, Many thanks.

What about this company?

Looks like same as the Ribble Stealth and De Rosa R838

See my post on this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/MTB/forums/vie ... 5a11083b8c

Thanks for posting me in the right direction :)
  • liamb93
    liamb93 Posts: 48
    the question is will you be happy with it ? while the quality is there sometimes frames fail whether they are made in china or italy , i would recommend paying that bit more and having a moda (made in derby) they are very nice looking bikes and dont cost that much to buy and being british parts and customer services are easy to get hold of.
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Sorry to burst the bubble Liam but I'm 99% sure the Moda frames aren't made in Derby, they're probably made in the same factory as Carbonzones plus the after sales service from Carbonzone has been good so what's the advantage of paying more for the same product? Most people on here I'm sure would love to buy british but not just for a set of stickers on the same product and a £300 / 400 markup.
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    Couple of pics:

Well packaged...
    IMG_1915.JPG

Frame and forks..,
    IMG_1919.JPG
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Here's my daughters bike finished now, frame is a 48cm from Carbonzone and came in at 1040g, forks were 325g.

Delivery was 5 working days, all the threads were nice and clean, alignment appears perfect and for £210 + £45 delivery I honestly can't complain, they threw in a free headset as well.

After placing the order I placed another order for the Carbon Bars, Carbon Seat Post, Carbon Stem, Carbon Spacers and Carbon wrapped seat clamp all for £70 including postage, unfortunately they couldn't add it to the order as it had already been despatched!

My daughter has done about 600 miles on it now and she is really quite pleased and noticed the difference from her previous Kinesis, she is riding it from London to Paris next week, 375 Miles so that will be a further test for it.

laurello_1.jpg