Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• philhul
    philhul Posts: 140
    My FM028 did come with rear mech hanger from carbonzone. It was included, didn't have to ask or pay extra
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    There also seems to be a load of frames from ebay user carbon_bicycle for only £250 delivered such as this one (there's a bunch of others too)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-Carbon-12K-5 ... 585wt_1139

So why is no one talking about these frames which are £100 cheaper than carbonzone and the FM015 or FM028? Does anyone have one? [/img]

ive got one- it arrived yesterday 7 days after i ordered it! no customs duty to pay as they marked it as 'bike parts' worth $35

its very light and well finished-im going to put centaur on it- ill put a piccy up when its done :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    There also seems to be a load of frames from ebay user carbon_bicycle for only £250 delivered such as this one (there's a bunch of others too)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-Carbon-12K-500mm-Road-Bike-Frame-Fork-Headset-/300564351712?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item45fb080ae0#ht_1585wt_1139

So why is no one talking about these frames which are £100 cheaper than carbonzone and the FM015 or FM028? Does anyone have one? [/img]

ive got one- it arrived yesterday 7 days after i ordered it! no customs duty to pay as they marked it as 'bike parts' worth $35

its very light and well finished-im going to put centaur on it- ill put a piccy up when its done :D

At a guess, maybe the others were first or, whoever took the plunge first bought from Carbonzone etc it got good reviews and others followed. Once yours is built up and reviewed you could be the new trend setter!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    For the guys who ordered the FM028 (RB002) from Carbonzone - did the frame come with a rear mech hanger and if not which one did you get to sort it?

As others have said, the mech hanger is included, however the headset is not, the best thing to do is to ask carbonzone to supply one, it's only about $15. Also you will need barrel adjusters for the downtube cable bosses (if that's the right term) but you can get those here in the uk or off an old frame if you have one going spare.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    re rear mech hanger - reason for specifying one to the seller is to ensure you have a spare as the ones commonly sold local to you, should you even need one, be tricky to find. You can't go into a shop and say "Have you a hanger for an FM028 ?" and expect a positive answer !
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    mcrdave wrote:
    at the risk of slightly derailling the topic - does anyone have a large side-on pic of an FM015 frame & forks, or even better, a vector silhouette? I'd like to work up my paintscheme and it would save me having to trace!

Hi Mate, here is a blueprint for the FM015 you can work over the top of that as it has dimensions on, that's what I did for my graphics:

http://cheapcarbonframes.com/2010/07/ge ... gfu-fm015/

If you want a contact of where I got my vinyl done let me know as he was great for mine.

Perfect, thank you!

So it sounds like you got your frame and then did the decals over the top of the clearcoat?
    Did you apply another layer of clearcoat over the top, or are the vinyl decals tough enough on their own?

I'm just deciding whether to get the decals applied in China or do it myself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So it sounds like you got your frame and then did the decals over the top of the clearcoat?
    Did you apply another layer of clearcoat over the top, or are the vinyl decals tough enough on their own?

If he did put clearcoat over the top, he did a truly excellent job of applying matt clearcoat over the letters and gloss clearcoat over the frame!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    Rolf F wrote:

If he did put clearcoat over the top, he did a truly excellent job of applying matt clearcoat over the letters and gloss clearcoat over the frame!!

ok, didn't see the pics above!

smartarse :wink:
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    I have finally finished my CCF build.

The frame from Carbon_Bikes arrived within 7 days but was missing the headset which took a further 21 days to arrive. Both parcels were customs free and the sellers communication was satisfactory.

The frame required a little fettling to get parts to fit satisfactorily;

1; headset needed the internal 'cups' sanding to allow a push fit.

2; Brake nut recess required enlarging for a correct fit.

3; threading the internal rear brake cable was a pain, but my better half managed it first time.

I have done a quick test ride and the bike feels stiff and very responsive at first bordering on twitchy but i soon got used to this more aggressive set up..

In the present configuration the bike seems comfortable to ride and feels pretty light too.

The running gear is Ultegra 6700, wheels Mavic Aksium, Aero Barson a 100mm stem with a spec ronin saddle.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the end result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48089914@N06/5832065331/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48089914@N06/5832064889/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48089914@N06/5832064303/

Can anyone post the pics up for me please...
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    5832065331_ef27a5bc5c.jpg
    5832064889_6cbc9ba191.jpg
    5832064303_79ed98d743.jpg[/i]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

ok, didn't see the pics above!

smartarse :wink:
    :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • reutercrooks
    reutercrooks Posts: 425
    I read the first few pages and this last only. Iv seen some of the pics and have seen some of the ebay listings on Ebay uk and Ebay Oz.

I bought one with forks and head set.

It cost me $550AU, good price,fast delivery.

I previously roda a giant, alloy/carb bike, ultegra/dura ace, hed bastogne wheels.
    I race in A Grade and ride 4-500ks a week.
    I bought this to race on and train on, currently its sitting in the shed, dismantled and unbuilt as a lesson to not buy shity carbon bike frames.

I was initially happy when I first recieved, built it up with lightweight components.
    Fit was good, I could quite get the gears tuned right but fixed as best as i could and would sort it when I had more time.
    It felt ok, I could ride at a fast speed, turn a heavy gear and sprint....I thought.
    I rode it on one of the big rides that we have herein Melbourne, just happened to galnce at the bottom bracket and I noticed that it was swinging almost 5 oclock to 7 oclock when I pushed it hard.(exagerating to clarify, but it was very flexible laterally, and vertically)

Too noodly, whippy, very flexible, I rebuilt my giant and could feel the stiffness first ride. I wont even give it away as its crap. but each to their own, Its staying on he shed wall to remind me not to make silly purchases.
  • reutercrooks
    The forks and headset are fine, actually the forks are very light and I continue to use them. the headset is good and is probably being used or is in the spares box.

cycling deal. they are located in ostralia, just out of melbourne.
  • reutercrooks
    and Hed Bastogne wheels, nice, but the freehub is so soft that after 3 months training use the cassettes have bedded themselves in.

Is this the same free hub used on their other wheelsets?
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Oops missed all this, no it's a matt finish then just clear vinyl graphics. Nothing over the top of them, They're fine asl long as you don't scrub them hard which you wouldn't anyway. Plus gives you the option to chop and change at some point.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    Lovely, you have built what i have been envisaging for my build! I'm struggling to work out what size frame i need though.

Did the 'competitive cyclist' frame calculator and it came up with these results:
    The Competitive Fit The Eddy Fit The French Fit

Seat tube range c-c 55.1 - 55.6 56.3 - 56.8 58.0 - 58.5
    Seat tube range c-t 56.8 - 57.3 58.0 - 58.5 59.7 - 60.2
    Top tube length 53.0 - 53.4 53.0 - 53.4 54.2 - 54.6
    Stem Length 10.8 - 11.4 9.7 - 10.3 9.9 - 10.5
    BB-Saddle Position 76.3 - 78.3 75.5 - 77.5 73.8 - 75.8
    Saddle-Handlebar 51.3 - 51.9 52.1 - 52.7 53.8 - 54.4
    Saddle Setback 5.3 - 5.7 6.5 - 6.9 6.0 - 6.4

I dont really want too much of an aggressive position as i will be using it for daily commuting...

Flamez wrote:
    I have finally finished my CCF build.

The frame from Carbon_Bikes arrived within 7 days but was missing the headset which took a further 21 days to arrive. Both parcels were customs free and the sellers communication was satisfactory.

The frame required a little fettling to get parts to fit satisfactorily;

1; headset needed the internal 'cups' sanding to allow a push fit.

2; Brake nut recess required enlarging for a correct fit.

3; threading the internal rear brake cable was a pain, but my better half managed it first time.

I have done a quick test ride and the bike feels stiff and very responsive at first bordering on twitchy but i soon got used to this more aggressive set up..

In the present configuration the bike seems comfortable to ride and feels pretty light too.

The running gear is Ultegra 6700, wheels Mavic Aksium, Aero Barson a 100mm stem with a spec ronin saddle.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the end result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48089914@N06/5832065331/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48089914@N06/5832064889/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48089914@N06/5832064303/

Can anyone post the pics up for me please...
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    just so you all know my cheap carbon frame (branded Planet X) is now broken. 3.5 years of sterling service bought from Planet X and the seat stay has developed a crack in it.

just be warned. cheap carbon is exactly what it is.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    spasypaddy wrote:
    just so you all know my cheap carbon frame (branded Planet X) is now broken. 3.5 years of sterling service bought from Planet X and the seat stay has developed a crack in it.

Just to let you know my cheap carbon frame from Carbonzone is also broke after 5 rides!

http://youtu.be/S08JsbiYJv8

Carbonzone can't view youtube, they can't watch videos emailed to them, so they wanted photos, and from the photos they can't tell anything so I have to post it back.

I'll keep you posted on their After sales Customer Care :D
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Percy Vera wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Just to let you know my cheap carbon frame from Carbonzone is also broke after 5 rides!

http://youtu.be/S08JsbiYJv8

Carbonzone can't view youtube, they can't watch videos emailed to them, so they wanted photos, and from the photos they can't tell anything so I have to post it back.

I'll keep you posted on their After sales Customer Care :D

have you tried tightening them?

http://www.bikecircle.com/forums/showth ... ng-in-boss
  • petemadoc
    spasypaddy wrote:

Has this ever happened to an Italian branded frame?
  • spasypaddy
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

probably, but im just putting it out there. bikes break, shit happens, but for it to crack without an accident, no pothole, no nothing, is a bit weird.
  • petemadoc
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

probably, but im just putting it out there. bikes break, shoot happens, but for it to crack without an accident, no pothole, no nothing, is a bit weird.

Yeah not the best. Would you buy another cheap one or are you planning on replacing with something more expensive? You could argue that 3.5 years use isn't bad for £3-400 but I'm not really into disposable stuff personally
  • spasypaddy
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Yeah not the best. Would you buy another cheap one or are you planning on replacing with something more expensive? You could argue that 3.5 years use isn't bad for £3-400 but I'm not really into disposable stuff personally
    considering that i had kept it for best and ive been saving up for a year for a new F+F yes i shall be getting something slightly more expensive for my new bike.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Speed King :P
  • petemadoc
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    considering that i had kept it for best and ive been saving up for a year for a new F+F yes i shall be getting something slightly more expensive for my new bike.

Which frame was it that broke? The SL pro?

What confuses me is where's the line between decent quality and poor quality? Ribble and Planet x basically just sell re-branded Chinese frames . . . don't they? But then De Rosa brought out the R838 which can be bought from Ribble and carbonzone on ebay. And as I understand it the planet x nanolight is made by the same firm xspace. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the De Rosa frame, the thinking being that they wouldn't trust it if it's no good.

High end carbon frames made in Europe are just way out of my league so how do you differentiate between all these far east frames?
  • spasypaddy
    yeah it was the SL Pro

heres the crack (on the underside of a seat stay)
    Barnet-20110612-00003.jpg
  • petemadoc
    Out of warranty but worth an email to Planet X. How many miles do you reckon it's done?
  • spasypaddy
    edited June 2011
    px have told me fuck off basically. have a read of this thread for more info
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12783794

mileage, its been well looked after. only ridden in the summer for 2 years and then last year probably 2 training sessions a week (tuesday and thursday evenings) during the winter.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    schweiz wrote:

Yeah, the boss just spins - is there a special tool or is it a case of just trying it with pointer nose pliers or something?
  • EkO
    EkO Posts: 6
    There is a special tool available, I work for a Sealey stockist and I know that they make a set for it.
    http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16

But I'm sure there will be a cheaper version in Machine Mart or similar? Maybe even ask a local car bodyshop or mechanic, they may have one you can use for 2 seconds?