Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• GoingCarbon
    GoingCarbon Posts: 99
    My FM028 (forks & headset) arrived today and looks great. :D

It's been about 30yrs since I built a bike which was a single speed built up for my paper round from a frame I found in a skip.

I'm assuming this FM028 with a BB30 will take a little more effort and concentration?

Or do I ask the LBS?
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    All,

I have been looking for a tri spoke rear shimano on a Clincher rim 700c for my TT bike. Anyone ever seen one from China and if so, could you point me at the supplier please?

Thanks....
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    Mine arrived from Carbon_Bicycle this morning. Ordered it last Monday, stated weight was 1200g, actual weight was 1110g which was a bit of a surprise. Frame looks nice and wel finished.

Just dropped it off at the lbs to have all the gear transferred over from from my old frame.

230591_10150260555925170_516985169_9534501_2598464_n.jpg
  • Tonis
    Tonis Posts: 2
    BTW it seems that Member id carbon_bicycle at www.ebay.com is selling the same exact stuff as is selling the e_baygoods with the difference that the latter is a bit cheaper.
    I will be receiving a complete sample set from them too.

T
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Having read all the comments with great interest i have taken the plunge and ordered this http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/9007 ... dsets.html . Will keep you informed as to my progress. Pictures to follow.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • A chap over at Weight Weenies quotes the weight of his FM028 ISP 52cm off Dengfu as 1.12kg uncut. Can someone confirm this rather impressive figure for an ISP frame?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 10&t=85110
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Seems plausible my NON ISP 51cm was 1100g on the kitchen scales
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    Here's mine all finished. Whole build works out at around £600 so not too bad.

IMAG0105.jpg
  • Did I read a previous post in this thread correctly (ages back) that carbon wheels have a limited life-span in terms of the braking surface? Or was that just with non-carbon friendly brake blocks?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Did I read a previous post in this thread correctly (ages back) that carbon wheels have a limited life-span in terms of the braking surface? Or was that just with non-carbon friendly brake blocks?

This is true of all wheels, not just carbon ones.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    Did I read a previous post in this thread correctly (ages back) that carbon wheels have a limited life-span in terms of the braking surface? Or was that just with non-carbon friendly brake blocks?

This is true of all wheels, not just carbon ones.

Do you know (or is there an industry standard figure/mileage) what the average lifespan of carbon wheels if used with correct brake pads and looked after well?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ages.

It depends on how often you brake! If using them for commuting through a city centre you are going to be braking a damn site more than if you just race/go out for a ride in the country with them.

I use mine for time trials and hardly ever brake on them so I expect a good few years out of them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My carbon wheels are 6 years old and show liitle sign of wear. What generally kills carbon rims is impact damage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • P_Tucker
    Do you know (or is there an industry standard figure/mileage) what the average lifespan of carbon wheels if used with correct brake pads and looked after well?

No. I suspect that there isn't one, because it depends so much on what terrain and conditions you ride in. Wet, dirty winter rides or mountain descents kill rims; pootling around on a nice summers day, braking only for junctions will mean that your rims will probably outlast you.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Is the general consensus to purchase via ebay or direct?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    itboffin wrote:
    It's what you feel safe in doing and the best price you are getting .There is about 3 or 4 company's that seem to be good and safe .
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    benjboy wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    It's what you feel safe in doing and the best price you are getting .There is about 3 or 4 company's that seem to be good and safe .

Could you post links, please?

I'm thinking of getting involved with this carry on... I do like a project! :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hmmm at the £200+ mark for carbon frame + fork, it's gonna be a £1000+ or so build, do I really need another bike?

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    Hmmm at the £200+ mark for carbon frame + fork, it's gonna be a £1000+ or so build, do I really need another bike?

:roll:

No - you only just got your Ribble :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Dont know whether to get it painted or not. If i get a naked carbon frame how much would it cost to get the bike painted/airbrushed or whatever in the UK? Would it be under a £200 or am i looking at more than that? Wouldnt just be a couple of colours but more like a theme with some detailing too so not sure if the Chinese offer such a service.... Any recommendations for companies i should contact about this?
  • while looking through previous posts to find out more about custom designs came across a discussion about a 'livestrong madone replica' getting punted a few pages back. which was then not really for sale and was just put up as a mistake...is this the same bike for sale again? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Livestrong-FULL-C ... 19c5a4eadd I dont give a shit about trek branding but sticking on a charity sticker to bump up the price is poor show. how are you going to prove that if the auctions is anything over a grand then the difference is going to charity? some might think it fitting that livestrong is the charity sticker being uted as the commercial side of that brand is used to sell more wank than ronald mcdonald!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Dont know whether to get it painted or not. If i get a naked carbon frame how much would it cost to get the bike painted/airbrushed or whatever in the UK? Would it be under a £200 or am i looking at more than that? Wouldnt just be a couple of colours but more like a theme with some detailing too so not sure if the Chinese offer such a service.... Any recommendations for companies i should contact about this?

These two have been used by people on here in the past................

Argos

Atlantic Boulevard
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    while looking through previous posts to find out more about custom designs came across a discussion about a 'livestrong madone replica' getting punted a few pages back. which was then not really for sale and was just put up as a mistake...is this the same bike for sale again? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Livestrong-FULL-C ... 19c5a4eadd I dont give a shoot about trek branding but sticking on a charity sticker to bump up the price is poor show. how are you going to prove that if the auctions is anything over a grand then the difference is going to charity? some might think it fitting that livestrong is the charity sticker being uted as the commercial side of that brand is used to sell more wank than ronald mcdonald!
    Yeah same guy :roll: .Surprise surprise (NOT)...
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Yeah, he's got some thing about it being a relaxed geometry bike, he's like a dog with a bone :roll:
    Relaxed geometry doesn't mean it's any easier to ride, just means you are a little bit more upright when you ride, meaning less back strain in my opinion.
    You still have to work as hard with your legs to make the thing move.
    If it doesn't feel like hard work it's because your'e not trying hard enough.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    That's a little off IMO. I think the title is quite misleading.

It's a very very nice bike on it's own merits, The "replica branding" simply devalues it.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I guess he has every right to sell his bike but the title is a little misleading even if the description makes it clear it is a 'look-a-like'.
  • damitamit
    damitamit Posts: 277
    How much have people paid for the FM028 frames?

I'm enquiring with Dengfu about a FM028 ISP in Matt 3K finish and the prices are:

$435 for the ISP frame
    $45 for the matt finish
    $15 for the headset
    $80 for shipping
    $22 for paypal fees

= $597 =~ £370

Just wanted to check what the usual prices are before I pull the trigger. Or if there are other companies who sell the same frame?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    damitamit wrote:
    How much have people paid for the FM028 frames?

I'm enquiring with Dengfu about a FM028 ISP in Matt 3K finish and the prices are:

$435 for the ISP frame
    $45 for the matt finish
    $15 for the headset
    $80 for shipping
    $22 for paypal fees

= $597 =~ £370

Just wanted to check what the usual prices are before I pull the trigger. Or if there are other companies who sell the same frame?

I got the 3k naked weave one from Carbonzone on eBay, he was slightly cheaper than Dengfu ($10 I think) but he also threw in a spare rear mech hanger, and a seat clamp. His paint jobs were cheaper than Dengfu as well.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    wow, that was a LOOONG read!
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • P_Tucker
    Dont know whether to get it painted or not. If i get a naked carbon frame how much would it cost to get the bike painted/airbrushed or whatever in the UK? Would it be under a £200 or am i looking at more than that? Wouldnt just be a couple of colours but more like a theme with some detailing too so not sure if the Chinese offer such a service.... Any recommendations for companies i should contact about this?

Do NOT, under any circumstances, use Mario Vaz. The nobber managed to leave half a headset in mine, then paint over the top sealing it in tighter than a recently deceased Pharoah. He then invited me to f**k off when I politely enquired what he was going to do about it.

Furthermore, the paint chips easier than Maris Piper potatoes and the logos look like they were drawn on by blind toddlers with broken crayons.