Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The FM028 frame, who has one and how does it ride? Also, what size are you riding? Im 6'2" but have long legs and a short torso so Im thinking the 58cm frame might be the one to go for.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gb155 wrote:
    Well, My FM028 is now finished

I'm happy with it, tho im sure there will be many that are not :P

That's a nice ultra close up of your doorstep but where's the bike? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    kfinlay wrote:
    Any votes for either? White was my first idea but when I made the black version it made me have second thoughts. Think I should go with my initial gut feeling in the white?
    I'd go with white.
    Black/Carbon/Red colourshemes are getting a little boring IMO.

I'm also working up a design for an FM015...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    gb155 wrote:

Who did the bartape? Looks a right mess around the levers.
    More problems but still living....
  • derbygrimpeur
    derbygrimpeur Posts: 822
    kfinlay wrote:
    Any votes for either? White was my first idea but when I made the black version it made me have second thoughts. Think I should go with my initial gut feeling in the white?
    I'd go with white.

yep, the white looks better
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    gb155 wrote:

Looks good - how do you find those Schwalbe Luganos so far? I have a set on my commuting/road bike & at first thought they were great value, however I noticed the rear wearing pretty quickly & it then started to disintegrate after around 1000miles, thought I had a bad buckle on my wheel but under closer inspection the sidewall had torn pretty much right round the circumference of the tyre on one side, incredible hulk style. I do ride primarily on terrible roads but because of that I only run them around 90-100psi max so don't think I overinflated them.

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • GoingCarbon
    GoingCarbon Posts: 99
    kfinlay wrote:
    Got my design sorted . . . . . . I think but now stuck on black (3K carbon) or white frame :roll:

On both frames the black areas will be clear coated 3k carbon finish.

White, defo white.
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    polished up photos with some of the details, the quality of these frames are phenomenal and if built with the right components don't look anywhere near as cheap as they are!

P1020996.JPG

P1020992.JPG

P1020997.JPG

P1020998.JPG

as you might have guessed I'm very fond of bontrager finishing kit!
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Can an FM015 owner help please????

I need to know the width of the top tube for my frame design. Can an FM015 owner please check for me :D

The measurement I need is shown in the pic below

fm015_tt.jpg

TIA :)
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    as you helped with my paint kev i rushed straight out to the garage for you, it's exactly 5CM according to your arrows
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    2" or 5cm which is the same from left to right ie half way round hope this helps.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • kfinlay
    thanks Benj Is that from the sharp edge one one side to the other ?
    Kev

• benjboy
    kfinlay wrote:
    thanks Benj Is that from the sharp edge one one side to the other ?
    Yes ...
  • kfinlay
    blakef111 wrote:
    as you helped with my paint kev i rushed straight out to the garage for you, it's exactly 5CM according to your arrows

cheers Blake appreciate it, bike looks great and glad I was able to help.
    Kev

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    My Chinese frame purchase is going pear-shaped at the moment. When asking for photos of the frames before delivery, a reply saying "we have no record of an order" doesn't inspire confidence.
  • GoingCarbon
    P_Tucker wrote:
    My Chinese frame purchase is going pear-shaped at the moment. When asking for photos of the frames before delivery, a reply saying "we have no record of an order" doesn't inspire confidence.

Which company did you buy from?
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    Oh yes, the carbon frame is in the UK and en route pics of build etc to follow.
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • ferritic
    ferritic Posts: 120
    gb155 wrote:
    This has perked me up on this,cold, wet , January morning.

Do these frames have a maximum rider weight ????

Gaz

Reply from carbonzone regarding rider weight limits for frame in link:

Hi,sir
    Nice to meet you.
    The weight limit of the frameset is 250KG.
    This frameset is tested and passed the EN Test,and there are two years warranty for the frameset.
    So which frameset size do you need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Ok, Im about to order the FM028 frame from Dengfu. The headset is confusing me, what sort will I need? Can anyone recommend me something for around £30 or thereabouts?
  • GoingCarbon
    styxd wrote:
    Ok, Im about to order the FM028 frame from Dengfu. The headset is confusing me, what sort will I need? Can anyone recommend me something for around £30 or thereabouts?

I've ordered my headset ($14) from Dengfu along with my frame, hopefully it will be of a similar quality to the frame. And as it come with the frame surely it will be the correct fit.

BTW my frame is currently at Heathrow Awaiting Customs clearance :D
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    After tracking my frame, it arrived in UK customs, coventry, last night, swansea sorting this morning, my house 0815. 7 days in total.

No vat or customs duty to pay .....

Got it out of the box and really pleased with the quality. Very light and chose to leave the frame bare and not paint it.

Awaiting for the headset to arrive, its been posted separately.. But tracking says it will be here in next few days.
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Blimey, I cannot believe the quality and customer service of the company that supplied my daughters frame: -

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/carbon_bicycle

I also bought some Carbon Bars, and a few other bits and they arrived within a week as well.

Excellent communication and the quality seems brilliant, this company really knows about customer service, their comms are brilliant and the goods are excellent value as well.

Just had these bars arrive and I can't fault them: -

rh2.jpg

If anyone has any doubts then don't. 8)
  • Hello all,

After using this thread as my main source of information I recently ordered the RB002 frame from CarbonZone on eBay.

I have some questions regarding the 'sizes' of various components for the people who have also bought this frame as I'm a dunce when it comes to anything like this.

Is the top of fork (the part you attach the stem to) 1&1/8 inches, so this stem would fit?

Also, what is the diameter of the seat post tube? (i.e. What diameter seat post should I be looking at?)

I only ask as Velonutter advised me on his forum to contact the seller but I figure it would be quicker to ask the people who have already built up the frame I'm waiting to arrive!

Thank you
  • kfinlay
    Hello all,

After using this thread as my main source of information I recently ordered the RB002 frame from CarbonZone on eBay.

I have some questions regarding the 'sizes' of various components for the people who have also bought this frame as I'm a dunce when it comes to anything like this.

Is the top of fork (the part you attach the stem to) 1&1/8 inches, so this stem would fit?

Also, what is the diameter of the seat post tube? (i.e. What diameter seat post should I be looking at?)

I only ask as Velonutter advised me on his forum to contact the seller but I figure it would be quicker to ask the people who have already built up the frame I'm waiting to arrive!

Thank you

Seat post is 31.6mm, seat tube is 34.9 (for seat clamp or front mech clamp)
    Head is 1 1/8 top and 1 1/2 bottom so you need a headset that is designed for the sort of taper - you could get one that fits direct from CarbonZone too for about $15.
    See
    http://dengfubikes.com/product.asp?id=2&classid=21 for more info as Dengfu are the same as CarbonZone from what has been said on these and other forums.
    Kev

• benjboy
    kfinlay wrote:
    Hello all,

Thank you

Seat post is 31.6mm, seat tube is 34.9 (for seat clamp or front mech clamp)
    Head is 1 1/8 top and 1 1/2 bottom so you need a headset that is designed for the sort of taper - you could get one that fits direct from CarbonZone too for about $15.
    See
    http://dengfubikes.com/product.asp?id=2&classid=21 for more info as Dengfu are the same as CarbonZone from what has been said on these and other forums.
    I asked Carbonzone was he Dengfu and he stated NO.The ribble stealth headseat from ribble will fit this frame that is what i used.
  • benjboy
    To night as i was cleaning my TT bike which i bought from carbonzone i noticed a small crack on the seat tube.It is about 1cm long and is about 1" down from the top tube if you run your finger nail over it it just catch's your nail.Have took pictures but does not show it (need better Camera)Have emailed carbonzone so will update if i hear any thing back.5731708704.I tried this.
  • benjboy
    5731708704_042872d595_m.jpg
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    ferritic wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    This has perked me up on this,cold, wet , January morning.

Do these frames have a maximum rider weight ????

Gaz

Reply from carbonzone regarding rider weight limits for frame in link:

Hi,sir
    Nice to meet you.
    The weight limit of the frameset is 250KG.
    This frameset is tested and passed the EN Test,and there are two years warranty for the frameset.
    So which frameset size do you need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

Ironically thats just under 39 stone !!!!
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • benjboy
    Got reply back from carbonzone this morning 02.18 hours.He needs better pictures of the frame/crack.So i need to go and find someone with a good camera :idea: .
  • Tonis
    Tonis Posts: 2
    benjboy wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    What I want to know is.......when will one of these Chinese carbon manufacturers produce a rear disc wheel, I'd be over the moon if they did (and a tri-spoke front would be the icing on the cake.....)
    +1 :D

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of sourcing carbon parts from China. So in few days we should know if we have a reliable wheelset distributor/builder as I've ordered a 1100g clincher wheelset sample from them. They also do list tri-spoke wheels. This company here offers all the wheeltypes you could imagine :).

If the quality we get is good then you are free to contact and order from them directly. the 1100g 20mm clincher wheelset wasn't too cheap at $560 or so.

FYI www.alibaba.com is the most fraudulent place to buy stuff from. PayPal is the only way to get some guarantees... I have been sourcing stuff from China via Alibaba commercially for 2 years with 100% luck so far. But remember if the price is too good to believe (-50% against similar eBay item) it might be scam.

All the best,
    Tonis