Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    The ban hammer works in all time zones ;-)

Like :o
  • keyser_soze
    keyser_soze Posts: 90
    Closer to topic, I am going to Taiwan in November to see family and will make sure to pass throguh Taichung. Aside from carbotec does anyone have any reliable info on which manufacturers use which factories. I basically want to slink past any or all of them and inspect a frame before walking away with one! I know the inspection can't let me know if there are cheaper materials inside etc, but I can get the chance to stress the frame myself and see how it feel, I can probably get them to weigh a frame set while I'm there to be sure on the weight too.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    nicklouse wrote:
    mattsy666 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    mattsy666 wrote:

I still make no apology, the lady in question us in a wheelchair

I advise you do apologise. Or you will never post here again. Your comments are well out of order, regardless of what you think of the OP and his wife.

I, sir, challenge you to a duel ... I shall see you at dawn ... Now all we need to decide is the timezone ...

My time-zone will do. Bye Bye.

toppa.gif
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    supersonic wrote:
    The ban hammer works in all time zones ;-)

That's a Yorkshire ban hammer. Forged from Sheffield steel!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    To mattsy666:

You're still here?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    To mattsy666:

You're still here?

do you not understand the words "Bye Bye"? :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Getting back on topic - I'm thinking of this route to a new bike only there's two things I don't really understand.

1. Headsets - what type am I likely to need (& how will I know which?)

2. Front deraillers - braze on/band on - again which/how will I know? And if it's braze on is that possible (or is it a speak to the LBS task?)

I've rebuilt a couple of bikes so the actual spannering shouldn't be an issue.

TIA.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It should say on the website which front mech it requires, but you can always confirm via email. As you can with the headset...

Which headsets have people used on the FM015?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Closer to topic, I am going to Taiwan in November to see family and will make sure to pass throguh Taichung. Aside from carbotec does anyone have any reliable info on which manufacturers use which factories. I basically want to slink past any or all of them and inspect a frame before walking away with one! I know the inspection can't let me know if there are cheaper materials inside etc, but I can get the chance to stress the frame myself and see how it feel, I can probably get them to weigh a frame set while I'm there to be sure on the weight too.

If you check the roadbikereview chinese carbon frame thread (think it's the V2 one) there are some postings from a guy that visited one of the factories. Not sure how much luck you'd have just by turning up with the expectation that you can pull a few frames out and start examining them and weighing them ?

I've a Karbona TT frame(now a few years old) that is plenty stiff, same frame as the PX ones and also the Ridley ones that Evans rode when with Lotto.
  • drkawaszelong
    drkawaszelong Posts: 260
    andyrr wrote:

I've a Karbona TT frame(now a few years old) that is plenty stiff, same frame as the PX ones and also the Ridley ones that Evans rode when with Lotto.

• benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Which headsets have people used on the FM015?. I have used the Ribble stealth one cost £17.89.Got out yesturday for first time on my FM015 in matt black loved it well pleased with it.Will try and get pictures up as soon as i can get time going for a Vasectomy tomorrow :roll: so should have a couple of days of the bike :( ...
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • benjboy
    Jesus is it going to be that bad :roll: .Ah well i will call it a rest week then :) .
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Take it easy for a week and you should be fine, try to do too much or lift anything and you could be in trouble. And keep the area clean to avoid infection. :twisted:
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    benjboy wrote:
    Jesus is it going to be that bad :roll: .Ah well i will call it a rest week then :) .

:shock:

You mean you haven't researched what they're planning on doing to your fella :?

Just give up sex it'll be a lot less painful :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benjboy
    Yeah have spoken to loads and loads of people some horror stories and some not to bad stories.I am just hoping I have a good story to tell afterwards.Sex is to hard to give up a bit like bike riding :roll: I enjoy both too much :lol::lol::lol: .
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
    Has anyone got a link to the new aero frame that I have heard about from these Chinese sellers??
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • wevergo
    wevergo Posts: 7
    See the frames.
    Which frame is fake? : Somec Diablo, Ribble, De Rosa, unbranded...........
    They are all from the same factory including the very expensive De Rosa.
    Are we deceived?
    You can buy the frame yourself: $200-$500 maximum from several providers.

FOBShenzhenUS200500.jpg
    DIABLO_klein.jpg
    SERIBBSTEALTHSHIM_1_zoom.jpg
    57662.jpg
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    want happens if I buy the above frame and get it painted as the somec, its the same frame maybe even the same painters but a small % of the cost
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    wevergo wrote:
    Are we deceived?

You're not deceived because you just figured it out :wink:

Pedalforce also sell the same frame

The prices are different, the paint jobs are different but the frames are the same. It's up to you which one you want.
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    These arrived today from Yishun hope to get them fitted and go for a spin tomorrow.
    IMAG0115.jpgIMAG0116.jpg
  • petemadoc
    gb155 wrote:
    Ok so I have decaled my Chi-done, is there anything I can do to coat them to proect them ?

There is quite a few you see

caff0b3f.jpg

dd2faf80.jpg

Hey how come you decided to sell your bike already? Are you not happy with it or replacing it with something else?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Livestrong-FULL-C ... 221wt_1139
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    Ok so I have decaled my Chi-done, is there anything I can do to coat them to proect them ?

There is quite a few you see

caff0b3f.jpg

dd2faf80.jpg

Hey how come you decided to sell your bike already? Are you not happy with it or replacing it with something else?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Livestrong-FULL-C ... 221wt_1139

£2K !!!!! Whooaa....
    In my book sticking a few stickers on a frame does not make it a replica. Has it got the same design, geometry, use t he same carbon etc?

Anyway....

My frame (RB002 from Carbonzone which is FM028) arrived today, hope to have it built by the weekend.
    First impressions are good, frame looks a lot better in real life!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Bit shady that.

Stickering up a "replica" for yourself because you like the design is one thing, but stickering up a replica to hawk at a VASTLY inflated price is a whole different kettle of fish IMO
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    danowat wrote:
    Bit shady that.

Stickering up a "replica" for yourself because you like the design is one thing, but stickering up a replica to hawk at a VASTLY inflated price is a whole different kettle of fish IMO

+1 - maybe it's not gb155, maybe some unscrupulous person is just using his photos
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Percy Vera wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    Bit shady that.

+1 - maybe it's not gb155, maybe some unscrupulous person is just using his photos

Is it a charity auction?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Percy Vera wrote:
    maybe some unscrupulous person is just using his photos

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind......
  • petemadoc
    danowat wrote:
    Percy Vera wrote:
    maybe some unscrupulous person is just using his photos

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind......

I doubt it . . . . unless someone else just happens to be after a swap for a 22" or larger MTB as well
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Plus Hyde Cheshire, same location.
  • benjboy
    Ebay states NEW never been used but futher down states riding 15 miles at over 18mph!!!.Why no chainset on it saddle and chain just a bit concerning and the price WTF :shock: ..
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Two grand for a mix of Rival, Force and Sora and some of Shimano's cheapest wheels. Is that some kind of joke? Surely there won't be anyone stupid enough to pay that for it even on eBay?
    More problems but still living....