Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sooooo is anyone still using their turbos?

mines been folded away for what seems like ever, I know I should use it but but but it's just too nice outside.

Er Scotland you're excused from this question :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I've been keeping up the sessions (about three a week) as it's still the only way I can get any training time. Been watching Battlestar Galactica while I pedal.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep. Did a 25m TT-style session last week. Was in pieces after that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Due to the rapture style wind here at the moment I thought about setting the turbo up again but then I opened a beer and put the F1 on the TV 8)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    MTFU all of you !! :shock: :wink:

I only missed a week this year of commuting and that was because the roads had frozen ,compacted snow and ice ( un gritted country lanes )and it did not get above - 10 all day

Just done a sportive around Ashbourne`s hills in wind lashed rain , fairly hairy on the descents ......
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cjcp
    Took the turbo on holiday last week to try to keep the pasties at bay. o kept the pasties at at bay. Another session tonight. Bailed on a 25tt at 13 miles thinking my tea wad going to reappear.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    20 min steady spin before work this am, handy having the turbo while I'm not riding to work, not as much faff as actually riding for a short time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    3 hrs 27 mins/63 miles yesterday because the forecast said thunderstorms/lots rain and wind etc. Windy, but no sign of thunder or rain. Thanks a bunch, BBC.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    this has probably been asked a trillion times but....

im really thinking about getting a 'turbo is it best to get - fan, mag or gel?

ive heard the gel ones can leak when they get really hot, the fan type can lose the fan so it goes shooting around where ever the turbo is, an ive not heard anything bad about mag types?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Advice sought on turbo trainers. I want to buy one for Missus G as a present but am baffled by the range available. Tacx, Cycleops and Minoura all have models in my price range £100-150, but I can't work out either a) what differentiates them; or b) what makes for a good TT.

Any advice or recommendations well received.
  • cjcp
    I've got a Cyclops Fluid 2 (I think. JG: is that the one I bought off you?)

In terms of (a) some are quieter than others, some have more functions. In terms of (b), do you mean TT training? Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick on that one, but they're all good training for TT.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Thanks CJ. The Fluid 2 has a few quid off at Wiggle.

TT = turbo trainer, in this instance.
  • cjcp
    Gussio wrote:
    Thanks CJ. The Fluid 2 has a few quid off at Wiggle.

TT = turbo trainer, in this instance.

Duh! Of course it does. It was early for me. :oops:

I prefer the quieter ones. I don't need a function that allows me to adjust the resistance from the bars because I can do this using the gears.

A word of warning though: make sure you do sessions which involve spinning the gears or high cadence efforts. I found I was pushing a bigger gear in the Alps this summer, not due to an increase in leg strength necessarily, but I think due to a change of style brought about by too many longer, bigger gear efforts on the turbo. I spun the gears a lot more last year.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Sage advice - thanks. Will pass it on to the missus....and take heed myself when sneaking in the odd session on "her" new toy ;)
  • itboffin
    I'm going to set my turbo back up this evening :evil:
  • cjcp
    Work is severely curtailing my riding, so I've just done the first turbo session of the winter.

35 mins, high-ish cadence. (Need to get out of this habit of pushing a bigger gear.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Another one tonight. Too late to go for a ride.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Had to burn off last night's excess to make room for tonight's.

20 miles. Lots of sweat.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Last turbo session of the year. 10 miles/31 mins. There's room for curry now.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    First ever time on the turbo for more than 30 seconds. 35 minutes:

5 min spinny warmup
    5 min z4/5
    5 mine z2
    5 min z4/5
    5 min z2
    5 min z4/5
    5 min z1.

Fairly feeble but its a start Last time I was that hot was hairpin 9 up Alpe D'Huez.

Another session tomorrow.
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    First ever time on the turbo for more than 30 seconds. 35 minutes:

5 min spinny warmup
    5 min z4/5
    5 mine z2
    5 min z4/5
    5 min z2
    5 min z4/5
    5 min z1.

Fairly feeble but its a start Last time I was that hot was hairpin 9 up Alpe D'Huez.

Another session tomorrow.

good lad - turbo is your friend, i sat on mine for 30 mins this morning in the garage wearing leg warmers and a long sleeve jersey in -5 brrrr but still ..... lantern rouge at stake and all that :wink:
  • jzed
    itboffin wrote:
    .. lantern rouge at stake and all that...

5 months off the beer and running a 1,500 calorie deficit should help :evil:
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    .. lantern rouge at stake and all that...

5 months off the beer and running a 1,500 calorie deficit should help :evil:

only if you want to kill yourself then yes :P
  • itboffin
    55 min hard session, feeling a bit sick now :?
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

Good man. Snow too deep? Did a 20m TT at a cadence of around 99/100. Sweaty mess at the end of it.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Good man. Snow too deep? Did a 20m TT at a cadence of around 99/100. Sweaty mess at the end of it.

No the snow's only 3" or so just felt like a harder workout, that it was http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147287482

Feet up now and wait for dinner, mmm roast beef :D
  • jzed
    5 minute warm up, 26 minute 10m TT, 4 minute warm down. Turbo seems to require more energy than riding on the road at the same speed.
  • itboffin
    Well it's almost 11 and still only 5C so here's my plan ....

Drink this 2nd cup of fine coffee then head into my man-cave / turbo dungeon for a quick wheels swap and then 60 mins of hard sufferfest followed by a quick swap into some dry clothes and a lap of the forest on my CX :twisted:
  • itboffin
    60 min easy pyramid set @ 90 rpm = 23miles a fair bit of sweat but a very smooth set of HR, CAD and speed stats
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Turbo already? Holey Moley!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH