Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Its not so much for the weather yet but more for more structured training to complement the commuting miles, its amazing how pants my technique becomes during then so called summer months, first time back on the turbo and it feels like both legs belong to a different person, rocking hips and erratic cadence. After a few regular sessions all that smooths out today's workout was defo back on track.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I need to "invest" in a turbo ASAP. Anyone using the Tacx Genius? Looks like I can ride the IMC route via google maps. Or have I misread that completely?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've got a Tacx Satori. Couldn't justify the computer game money at the time I was in the market for it. I still hate it but it doesn't half change technique quickly.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    He's right you know it does help
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Sadly it seems regular turbo session are helping my base fitness, so goddamn boring I find myself looking around think "oh i need to fix that" and "i should move that over there"

must stay focused
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I just listen to very loud house/drum n bass/dubstep and find it kind of helps. 1 hour is my max so far. But I do them at fairly high intensity so guess not sitting there bored too much.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • itboffin
    okgo wrote:
    I just listen to very loud house/drum n bass/dubstep and find it kind of helps. 1 hour is my max so far. But I do them at fairly high intensity so guess not sitting there bored too much.

How intense?

Cad, hr and mph please
  • itboffin
    Bacon sandwich then time for a pretty ride turbo TT
  • okgo
    I only measure power, probably 85-90% for an hour. Yesterday was 300w for an hour. Didn't feel bad but enough that you are concentrating.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    At our club Xmas do on friday we had Rollapaluza racing on friday, which bought back the horrible memories of turbo and rollers :lol:

Still only 500m a race and then the 1000m final but it hurt!
  • itboffin
    I've been knocking out twice weekly 45 min sessions however today I did my first double session.

15 miles in 40 mins then 15 miles in 38 mins

Not amazing but I did spend a fair bit of time fettling to make iPlayer work.
  • i used my turbo in anger for the first time on sunday now that i have the garmin set up for it, managed over 23 miles in an hour, with varying degrees of resistance, need to work out a proper training regime though so i can get the most out of it.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Possibly not news to anyone here but TrainerRoad (http://www.trainerroad.com/) has significantly reduced the boredom factor when using the turbo especially when coupled with Sufferfest videos.
  • Is this starting up again? Have been doing quite a bit recently (I'm not a big fan of training on ice, came down on a supposedly safe road a couple of years ago) - longest session was Sunday morning, 3hr13 on rollers! (Had the turbo set up, ready to go just in case, but didn't need to use it in the end). I'm going to be honest it was pretty mind-numbing and I hope I don't need to do it again soon...
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm using Trainerroad.com to get the most out of a turbo session as well as tracking progress, coupled with a laptop for watching vids helps but its all limited. For example I did 90 mins tempo last night and was pretty zoned out by the end of it, much worse than a 90min ride with 3 sweet spot intervals or something like that. I don't think there's any way that I could do 3.13 on a turbo or rollers! I guess I'm focused on increasing FTP right now so loosing out on some longer rides while the snow is here isn't the worst thing in the world.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    its been snowing on and off since Thursday evening, in fact it really heavy right now but the thought of another turbo session :?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959
    itboffin wrote:
    its been snowing on and off since Thursday evening, in fact it really heavy right now but the thought of another turbo session :?
    Isn't turbo use against rules 5 and 9?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Isn't turbo use against rules 5 and 9?

I think so plus hard drinking is a far better way to exercise ones liver and kidneys.

Hard drinking it is ...
  • Wrath Rob
    Planet X Turbo Bargain here
  • itboffin
    Bargain is surely the £30 I paid for a plain mag unit with no fancy smancy resistance control other than the say 20 gears on my bike and a nut at the back of the unit.

tsk! money to burn these young'uns
  • itboffin
    Well I suffered through another session, fourth this week.

Rest day tomorrow thankfully
  • itboffin
    According to my training plan I need to do 60 wish miles either today or tomorrow, its raining cold and there's still plenty of snow everywhere. Can I possibly face 3 hours on the turbo?
  • well i just done another hr 24 miles in kepp varying the resistance then 30 mins in give it the full beans for 30 secs and then the last minute of the ride give it the beans again. I know what you mean ITB staring at the shed door for an hr is not very exciting, just glad I popped the ipod on.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Wrath Rob
    itboffin wrote:
    According to my training plan I need to do 60 wish miles either today or tomorrow, its raining cold and there's still plenty of snow everywhere. Can I possibly face 3 hours on the turbo?
    Miles? No one seriously talks about miles. You should know better, see Rule 68 :twisted:

BTW, a fancy smancy turbo would let you put it on the lowest resistance and then bang out 60 miles in no time ;)
  • itboffin
    I'm sure its been said but actually the turbo sessions defo work, my short road ride this morning proved that until the head wind kicked in oof!
  • itboffin
    Its almost the end of Jan and i'm still sticking to regular turbo sessions im impressed with myself. 8)
  • Wrath Rob
    I've got a power test scheduled for next Tuesday to see how well they've been working. The fact that I'm finding 2*20 sweet spot intervals pretty easy, with the 2nd one last night averaging the same as my FTP, suggest that my FTP is a little out. Not sure if you can see it without an account but this is what the Trainerroad rides come out like
  • okgo
    I've got a ton of rubber matting, and two paving slabs, if I can't make it vibration proof then the neighbors are just going to have to live with it :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Burning the candle at both ends with work isn't conducive to the turbo. Plums.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Burning the candle at both ends with work isn't conducive to the turbo. Plums.

Yep agree with that actually had a nasty turn late afternoon felt really ill so shelved this evenings session, better to give my body a chance to sort itself out.