Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

15678911»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    tried again this evening when I got home and it started off really well, knocking out 100 rpm with ease until 15 mins then I started to feel dizzy & light headed, oh yeh I hadn't eaten since 1pm.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Just tried my first max effort session on the turbo, never have i had to stop so much for fear of vomiting all over my bike, perhaps I should have left a little in reserve?

:?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Note to self do not start a session at 100rpm it doesn't leave you in a very good state about 25 mins in.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    What difference does the rpm make? I ride most of my sessions at that rpm. 53-11 100 rpm, nearly impossible on turbo. 34-25 easy at 100 rpm. What am I missing?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • itboffin
    im fine at 95 for 1 hr but 100 just seems to kill me, do you not vary your gearing during a session?

Looking at it on Garmin it was a pretty scrappy session for me as well http://connect.garmin.com/activity/271673053

I tried a couple of sprints, really really nasty
  • itboffin
    Off the sessions for a week thanks to a stupid chest cough, dungeon is waiting for me tonight.
  • itboffin
    ahhhhh mofo grrrr

first my left shoe buckle kept coming undone then my bloody garmin 705 started beeping telling me lap (not lap dance) database was full and stupidly I chosen not to open the windows in the dungeon thus making the room very stuffy after 10 mins.

FAIL have a glass of red wine instead :?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    itboffin wrote:
    ahhhhh mofo grrrr

first my left shoe buckle kept coming undone then my bloody garmin 705 started beeping telling me lap (not lap dance) database was full and stupidly I chosen not to open the windows in the dungeon thus making the room very stuffy after 10 mins.

FAIL have a glass of red wine instead :?

The way to deal with that is G+1 (where G=Garmin)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    Damn it man you've hit the nail on the head, why didnt I think of that :lol:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've had my fair share of turbo fail recently. First up was the rear deraillueur cable snapping, putting me in 50-11 which isn't so good when trying to increase your cadence. The next session the batteries failed on the PowerTap. Now, in a rare moment of foresight I'd already bought new ones, but I'd not got around to fitting them. Cue much swearing as all signal died from the PT died after 15 mins and I ran around the house trying to find the new batteries plus an implement to get the PT cover off.

On the plus side I've discovered some nice new workouts. How about 45 mins of tempo immediately followed by 2*3min 120%FTP intervals? Got up to 95% MHR for them. I've also tried 6*6min at Threshold. Now, the workout suggested 6 mins recovery between each one. I suggested 2.5 mins. In hindsight I should have gone with the workout as I've never felt so ill on the turbo, though I also had no idea that I could get my heart rate that high for that long. For those of you using Trainerroad, I also did Star King last night, which is 3*15min threshold intervals. I had to resort to mind games in the final interval to trick myself into completing the workout.

Its working though, as I re-did the Sufferfest Angels workout on Sunday and set a new 8min power PB. By about 25w. Happy days!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've left mine ready for when I get home. Ugh. Lets see if I can set some records.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    Despite seemingly picking up another different more snotty cold on top of the current more tired feeling one, i still managed to knock out a 55 min steady session, max HR at 192 mind :?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    itboffin wrote:
    Despite seemingly picking up another different more snotty cold on top of the current more tired feeling one, i still managed to knock out a 55 min steady session, max HR at 192 mind :?
    Sounds like a TT steady state! Its amazing how much easier it is to recover from sweet-spot sessions compared to threshold though. That extra 7-12% effort really takes it out of you.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Sounds like a TT steady state! Its amazing how much easier it is to recover from sweet-spot sessions compared to threshold though. That extra 7-12% effort really takes it out of you.

Yep those 45-60 mins sessions are nothing compared to an all out 20-30 on more than one occasion i've almost chucked a lung on the latter
  • itboffin
    Fingers crossed I'm cold & flu free, this morning 90 min turbo session at a steady pace was manageable apart from the last sprocket.

10 x 6 min then 30 mins slowly backing off, drank 1.5ltr of water and sweated about 5, that was the first time I've been so drenched I had to go shirtless for the last 30 mins.
  • itboffin
    First session in a while, just 30 mins with what was effectively a 20 min warm up and a steady sprint for the last 10 mins

Not my usual session but I could tell the peak effort was considerably less that any sessions i've done so far this year, that plus my 20% increase in average speed when climbing last week i'd say my training is going quite well.