Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Well it had to happen at some point :lol:

Due to injury and frankly rubbish weather i'm all but out of normal road cycling, so rather than sit around wondering who will win X Factor now Wagner has gone :roll:

I'm going be to hammering the turbo and of course recording the results, for fun :twisted:

Who's in?

:roll:

I need help
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I can't play unless my missus has bought me the garmin sensor I wanted for xmas. :(
    Hat + Beard
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Hmm, will estimations do? :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    No it must be cold hard FACTS, this is the Internet after all and if its on the Internet it must be true :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Darn. No way to get a legitimate distance reading from my turbo. For that reason, I'm out.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Time spent in possession of turbo = 3 years

Time spent using it = 8 minutes

I guess I'm out too! :)
    Still breathing.....
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Two sessions so far this week.

Tuesday did 10 mins warm-up followed by three high-intensity sessions of six minutes going up through the gears after three and two minutes with a two-minute 'rest' between sessions on the small chain ring (if that makes sense). 10 minute warm down.

Yesterday 10 mins warm up, 10 mins high intensity big chain ring middle sprocket, three mins cool off, five mins high intensity big chain ring middle +1 sprocket, three mins cool off, five mins middle +2 sprocket, 10 minute warm down with a ridiculous small chainring sprint in the eighth minute.

Well, it's boring, so you get to take notice of what you're doing. :D
  • itboffin
    I did 20 miles in 47 mins today avg speed 25 mph avg cadence 106 rpm

10 mins warm up, 2 x 10 mins dropping down each time, 5 min pushing hard followed by all out effort to hit 20 miles.

Hard work but better than sliding on my arse in the snow and ice.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I'm thinking of getting a turbo as I'm doing my minimum commute distance of under 4 miles each way at the moment. May ask for one from Santa so won't be in this game for a few weeks.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    That's assuming I've been a good boy of course :wink:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ketsbaia
    itboffin wrote:

10 mins warm up, 2 x 10 mins dropping down each time, 5 min pushing hard followed by all out effort to hit 20 miles.

Hard work but better than sliding on my ars* in the snow and ice.

I wish I had some way of measuring virtual distance.
  • itboffin
    CheapO wired blackburn computer that came with the C+ subscription a while back, not pretty but effective enough for the task.
  • ketsbaia
    Oh that's a point. Could use the cheapo Lidl one I bought a few months ago.

That's tonight's fettling sorted, then. :D
  • I did 20 miles in 47 mins today avg speed 25 mph avg cadence 106 rpm
    considering that those 47 mins included 10 mins w/u, that proves exactly why measuring distance on a turbo is pointless... ;)
  • itboffin
    considering that those 47 mins included 10 mins w/u, that proves exactly why measuring distance on a turbo is pointless... ;)

That's very true except without something to take my mind off the boredom I might go mad.
  • pah. turbo sessions only start getting boring in the fourth hour.
  • itboffin
    pah. turbo sessions only start getting boring in the fourth hour.

Four hours :shock: not unless someone swaps my water bottle for 750ml of G&T
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i know someone did a full iron man distance on the turbo. they managed to bonk.

im currently managing 10 min warm up then 5 mins at HR zone 4 followed by 3 mins rest, repeat 6 times then warm down.

Im only managing at most an average speed of 18mph over 50 mins, i never was very fast and my back still niggles after my crash.

Probs done about 50 miles so far on the turbo this year.
  • benno68
    I forgot to ask, can a turbo knacker a bike frame? ie. is it not wise to use your "best Bike" for turbo work?

I was looking at getting the Cyclops Jet Fluid Pro.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    I hope not although best bike is sitting in the living room - carbon + cold garage I dont think so.

I use my previous best bike ie the Trek, was a good excuse to buy a new bike :wink: before that I used my TT bike (now sold)
  • mkirby
    Im using the best bike as im trying to get the body used to the position again (TT)

Has no issues with frames. Sweat rotting the steerer is another matter, make sure you really clean it after each session.
  • itboffin
    I've covered my top tube with pipe lagging and a sports towel around the headset n stem, plus a towel on the floor underneath.

I need a mat i think
  • mkirby
    thats what i do.

2 towels on the floor and one wrapped over the headset.

I give it a bloody good wipe down after, have had one bike destroyed due to sweat getting in the headset.

mats are a rip off for what they are, at least with towels you can put them in the wash when they get wiffy.
  • itboffin
    I think there was a turbo dungeon thread somewhere ....
  • benno68
    Thanks for the tips fellas.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Virtual morning commute:
    5 min warm up, 5 min step ups then the last 5 mins going for it.

Distance 13.12 miles
    Avg speed 26 mph
    Avg CAD 108
    Max speed 42.5 mph
  • mkirby
    i wish i could get my 705 to talk to a cadence sensor. would make things a lot easier.

Wish i could manage 26mph average even on a turbo
  • Distance/speed figures aren't much use without some kind of way to measure the resistance or power output, surely? Any yahoo can spin away in 53x11 for a few minutes with no resistance (not that I'm accusing anyone of doing that - we just need something to put those figures in perspective).
  • itboffin
    same again this evening

boring BUT I did hold 39 mph for 1 min 8)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Excellent idea ITB

I would suggest that the unit of measure should be time.

SC Stats encourages reckless mileage ignoring speed or the 'quality' of those miles. Similarly speed, distance or heartrate is irrelevant for the purpose of this thread.

The 'Mad Bast*rd' unit of measure should be hours.

Who can sit there the longest, going nowhere?

Let battle commence.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Excellent idea ITB

I would suggest that the unit of measure should be time.

SC Stats encourages reckless mileage ignoring speed or the 'quality' of those miles. Similarly speed, distance or heartrate is irrelevant for the purpose of this thread.

The 'Mad Bast*rd' unit of measure should be hours.

Who can sit there the longest, going nowhere?

Let battle commence.

Now why throw down a challenge like that eh!?

Sigh! there goes Sunday :?