Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

Comments

• I made a little race report here. Was a great experience, finished close behind the winner but out of the points, and spent the most time in the lead. Next time I'll remember the plan and stick to it (the one thing I couldn't do was actually slow down when I should have done)!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Zachariah wrote:
    I made a little race report here. Was a great experience, finished close behind the winner but out of the points, and spent the most time in the lead. Next time I'll remember the plan and stick to it (the one thing I couldn't do was actually slow down when I should have done)!
    Nice one. You did quite a lot better than me in your first race. I thought I'd be Merckx* but got handed my ar$e

* didn't really have such grand delusions
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    1hr 10 min step ups avg CAD 100

Cool down 10 min % 1 min step downs
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:
    I made a little race report here. Was a great experience, finished close behind the winner but out of the points, and spent the most time in the lead. Next time I'll remember the plan and stick to it (the one thing I couldn't do was actually slow down when I should have done)!
    Nice one. You did quite a lot better than me in your first race. I thought I'd be Merckx* but got handed my ar$e

* didn't really have such grand delusions

Excellent stuff. No guts, no glory! I "attacked" in my first race. Lasted about 20 seconds and duly went straight out the back.

When's the next one?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Feb 29th...My secret plan is to pedal harder this time.
  • jonginge
    Zachariah wrote:
    Feb 29th...My secret plan is to pedal harder this time.
    Tsk! That won't do at all. Pedal faster, that's the ticket.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Date....Time.........Total Time....Level.....Soundtrack

Jan..................7hr30mins......................
    02/02...0hr45mins....8hr15mins....140bpm....The Boss

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Top post turbo tip.

Q. Unsure if you have the correct saddle width?
    A. After your turbo session whilst still wearing your damp gear, find a light coloured wooden coffee table and take a seat for a few mins, rise and measure your glorious impression.

Er doesn't require ownership of said table and prob best to do this when SWMSBO isn't in.

I need to get out more often ...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I'm using one of my old tyres on the turbo, its starting to show the white fibre strands through the rubber, does anyone know if a blowout on the turbo can cause damage to the wheel/axle?
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm using one of my old tyres on the turbo, its starting to show the white fibre strands through the rubber, does anyone know if a blowout on the turbo can cause damage to the wheel/axle?

Only if the rim goes with it? Best change it.

Tried out the Cateye Strada Cadence today for the first time. Did a 40 min session:

10 min warm-up
    30 mins @ how far can I go.

Did 13.3 miles. at an average of 19.9. No idea how accurate it is, but I've increased the resistance a third of a turn or so and sustaining 22 mph was painful and very sweaty.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Steady 35 min session this morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Two sets of 20 min roller sessions yesterday at either end of the day. The efforts were pretty steady. Ave HR ~150bpm
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Pushed the boat out on Friday with an hour at 120rpm (low resistance, but still got a good sweat on). Just read the report on the race I couldn't go to (second of three for the series) and it was apparently at a much higher pace than the one I did, so am nervous about the third!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cycling-in-my-kitchen-doorway.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    Good session this morning. Did a "How far can I go in 40 mins?" session. 10 mins warm-up, then 30 mins at good effort. One sweaty mess by the end.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    PB for 40 mins: 13.48 miles. Absolutely buried myself. Need beer.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Turbo fettling, a new thread surely ..?
  • wvanry
    wvanry Posts: 78
    itboffin wrote:

less fettling and more riding I think is needed...
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cycling-in-my-kitchen-doorway.jpg
    Oi! How very dare you! It's the bathroom doorway I'll have you know.

20min roller session. Ave HR low 150's
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    wvanry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:lol:
  • wvanry
    wvanry Posts: 78
    itboffin wrote:
    wvanry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

oh and while we are it - "LESS EATING/DRINKING" :)
  • cjcp
    wvanry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    wvanry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

oh and while we are it - "LESS EATING/DRINKING" :)

Now, hold on. This is the "Commuting" section of the forum. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    He's just jealous that or very hungry :wink:
  • itboffin
    64mins of pain today
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    55 mins for me yesterday, a horrible workout

15 mins warm up working from zone 1 through to 3 then 8 x 60sec intervals with 75 secs recovery at MMP (max minute power, ie you should hit 45 secs thinking you're about to see Jesus and hold it for another 15) Then a 20 minute warm down

What the neighbours must have thought from my screaming at roughly minute intervals............................
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    See, this is where I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I never get to that point of near-hallucination. I think I'm going pretty hard, but when I see instructions like max minute power, I automatically hold something back - after alll, if you're doing one genuine 'max' power interval, it's going to be followed by seven intervals of decreasing actual power (though they may all feel like 'max'), surely? Am I either missing some point or do you have a power meter (or any other metric) that proves all the intervals are actually the same level of intensity and the highest you can achieve?

(Apologies if this sounds like I'm doubting your efforts, I'm really not, I just want to see if I'm somehow not up to snuff, basically. If I really did a 60-sec absolute max, I certainly could not repeat it exactly after a 75-sec rest)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    http://www.movescount.com/moves/move1376915
    Duration: 0:31'32.6
    Peak heart rate: 169 bpm
    Average heart rate: 144 bpm

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move1382974
    Duration: 0:42'36.9
    Peak heart rate: 171 bpm
    Average heart rate: 140 bpm

Even after 20 minutes I'm a dripping mess; I really need to sort out a fan...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    @zaccharia I understand your scepticisim, I don't have a power meter but I do try to approximate the effort. I know what gear, resistance setting and speed I hit for the first interval and then try to replicate that for each subsequent effort. It is a very hard workout, the 75 sec recovery is just enough to get the hr down a bit before you go again. It's a great workout for pushing the lactate threshold. It takes practice to start hitting those higher numbers, it'll take me a few more weeks before I'm really hitting the spot and knocking on the door of my max hr

55 mins last night with 3 min intervals and equal recovery, that was a hard workout but I feel like I need to dig a lot deeper and realy wring everything out of the body in the final 30 secs of each interval.

Mad..........me? Maybe :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    PB for 40 mins: 13.48 miles. Absolutely buried myself. Need beer.

First session for over a month. 13.72 miles tonight. Had to lie down on the floor.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Frosty here this morning, think i'll hit the turbo this morning then maybe venture out later when it warms up a little.