Silly Commuter Turbo Stats

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited January 2011
    Powertap innit. Elite+ hub built into a mavic open pro by the guys at cyclepowermeters.com The hub is ANT+ so links to the Garmin 500/705/800
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Smells like trying to me :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    No turbo last night.....had Pringles instead
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No turbo last night.....had Pringles instead

Pah! I had beer. So there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    Date....Time.........Total Time....Level.....Soundtrack

10/01...0hr20mins....0hr20mins.....Steady....Stuart & Maconie R2
    11/01...0hr40mins....1hr00mins.....Steady....Stuart & Maconie R2
    15/01...0hr45mins....1hr45mins.....Steady....606 on R5
    16/01...1hr00mins....2hr45mins.....Steady....Random Irish Rock Show
    17/01...0hr45mins....3hr30mins.....Steady....Monday Night Club R5
    19/01...0hr45mins....4hr15mins.....Steady....Leeds Arsenal FA Cup

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Can't even remember my last turbo session, i've been far to busy with work and family stuff.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Disappointing session on the 18th, couldn't complete the third set of 5-min high-power intervals even with 10-min rests. Today did a shorter run of 50mins with a mix of tempo, LT and just-above-LT intervals. Thursday will have a rest.
  • cjcp
    High effort ride last night, so just a very steady 45 mins to strtech the legs this morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    40 mins HR zone 2 last night, while swmbo watched One Born Every Minute. I think I made the right decision.

Might do the same again tonight so she can watch 90210 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    I failed to avoid the train buffet car, oops no turbo for me, I also failed at lunch time by eating kung po chicken & rice washed down with a sausage onion mustard Mayo bap, there might have been cheese I'm not sure, it sort off vapourised.
  • Zachariah
    I had several bite-sized flapjacks, a bacon tagliatelle and a few inches of Italian sausage (fnar), and no turbo today. Chris Carmichael tells me to take a rest day and I obey.
  • Zachariah
    The day of reckoning approaches...This time next week I will nervously motoring to Darlington, checking my bag to see I brought the requisite amount of towels.

Last night did the full 'Heavy Train' triple-set of sprint reps (30secs on, 30secsoff x 7, 5min rest, repeat) from turbotraining.co.uk. Cheated by having a rest after the first set when Kid A woke up and had to be re-tucked (note to prosepctive parents: ensure your child is self-tucking before purchase), but still!

Experimented with position - swapped stem spacers around to drop handlebar height by 10mm (creating a fetching, corrugated Planet-X spacer tower over the top). Seems slightly more comfortable, and the aero benefit will probably save me 0.2 watts somewhere. On my electricity bill, most likely.
  • itboffin
    Did an easy 10s (10 x 6) session yesterday - dull but warm and dry

Doing another one shortly, which is nice as it's currently sleeting here in sunny Windshire, started just as Mrs itboffin headed out for a run.

Mwhahahaha

:twisted:
  • itboffin
    Random session with no purpose other than pain oh and some gear fettling, strange how the gears are no longer shifting smoothly.

Did manage avg CAD of 105 which include 10 mins of said fettling, avg CAD for the rest was about 115 had to stop when I started feeling light headed.

:?

Foooood!!!!
  • cjcp
    1hr 30 this morning, comprised of:

Warm up = 10 mins
    3 x 20 mins (with 5 mins recovery between them)
    Warm down
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    20 miles / 57 mins turbo zone 2-3 (dull)
    11.5 miles of muddy CX hell, 8.5 miles home via lanes
    10 miles / 27 mins turbo sprint (well sort of)

V v tired now
  • tailwindhome

16/01...1hr00mins....2hr45mins.....Steady....2FM Rock Show
    23/01...0hr45mins.....5hr00mins....Steady....2FN Rock Show

Planning a 'Football Special' Tomorrow night (Chelsea Bolton) & Tuesday night (Man U B'pool)

25 mins - steady (sort of zone 2)
    20 mins - tempo (sort of zone 3)
    15 mins - half time recovery (zone 1
    20 mins - tempo
    25 mins - steady

The timings are of course approximate and will be determined by the change in commentators, half time, the restart and final whistle. Hopefully WIggle will process the order I placed tomorrow and I'll have the HRM for Tuesday night

I was considering a sprint effort when either Robbie Savage or Alan Green talked sh1te, but I'm only human.

(@ Pedants - should Tomorrow have a capital T)
  • itboffin
    Oh mar next week ie tomorrow onwards is going to be fooking horrible extra mileage faster pace n all that jazz
  • cjcp
    30 mins steady this morning. Not feeling spritely after being kicked by child no. 2 during the night.[/list]
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I thought about it this morning at 5:45 then I thought nah
  • Zachariah
    Tried the 'Over-Under' workouts per the Time-Crunched Cyclist last night - 12-min interval split into 3mins just under LT, 3mins over (x2), 8-min rest then repeat for a total of 3 sets. The last 'over' session was more willpower than leg power.

(for anyone else with an Elite Mag Crono, the under sections were at 53x14, over was 53x11, both @90rpm resistance lvl 2)
  • did 20 mins focussing on pulling up at 6.30am this morning....clips are new to me so I'm going for technique on some sessions. firstly, pleased with getting on the turbo so early...secondly...was weird cycling in on the mtb and not being able to pull up on the pedals. must get the computer rigged up on the rear wheel so I can see some stats!
  • Zachariah
    did 20 mins focussing on pulling up at 6.30am this morning....clips are new to me so I'm going for technique on some sessions. firstly, pleased with getting on the turbo so early...secondly...was weird cycling in on the mtb and not being able to pull up on the pedals. must get the computer rigged up on the rear wheel so I can see some stats!
    Pulling up is actively not recommended by conventional wisdom at present, as the miniscule (some say non-existent) power advantage is more than cancelled out by the increased fatigue it induces (so it's worth it in a final sprint, for example, but definitely not for climbing or general use). Just thought I'd mention that before you start making it part of your workout!
  • Zachariah wrote:
    did 20 mins focussing on pulling up at 6.30am this morning....clips are new to me so I'm going for technique on some sessions. firstly, pleased with getting on the turbo so early...secondly...was weird cycling in on the mtb and not being able to pull up on the pedals. must get the computer rigged up on the rear wheel so I can see some stats!
    Pulling up is actively not recommended by conventional wisdom at present, as the miniscule (some say non-existent) power advantage is more than cancelled out by the increased fatigue it induces (so it's worth it in a final sprint, for example, but definitely not for climbing or general use). Just thought I'd mention that before you start making it part of your workout!

thanks...I admit to knowing nothing about technique for SPDs but thought that the ability to pull up was a benefit?otherwise what is the point of being clipped in? btw...my workouts are not that organised
  • tailwindhome

23/01...0hr45mins.....5hr00mins....Steady....2FN Rock Show
    24/01...1hr00mins.....6hr00mins....Steady....Bolton Chelsea

'Football Special' (see above) was supercede by family stuff, but got a steady wee hour in.
  • cjcp
    This morning:

10 mins - warm up
    40 mins - good effort (this was supposed to be a 2 x 20 mins, then became 1 x 30 mins, then turned into 40 mins when the kids hadn't woken up)
    5 mins - warm down
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome

23/01...0hr45mins....5hr00mins....Steady....2FN Rock Show
    24/01...1hr00mins....6hr00mins....Steady....Bolton Chelsea
    29/01...0hr45mins....6hr45mins....140bpm....Gaslight Anthem

First session with the Polar FT2 HRM - 140 bpm average 160 bpm max.

Assuming a maximum of 184 (220 minus my age) thats 76% of maximum =upper zone 2
  • tailwindhome

23/01...0hr45mins....5hr00mins....Steady....2FN Rock Show
    24/01...1hr00mins....6hr00mins....Steady....Bolton Chelsea
    29/01...0hr45mins....6hr45mins....140bpm....Gaslight Anthem
    31/01...0hr45mins....7hr30mins....142bpm.....Definitely Maybe

• Zachariah
    Note to fellow turbo-users: CHECK TYRE PRESSURE REGULARLY

Took the bike out into the real world at last and brought them back up to 110psi. Front and rear were both well under 70psi, despite feeling quite hard under the thumb. When I put it back on the turbo with the higer pressure, it made the workout feel much easier than last week.

Now I basically have to start again with calibrating perceived effort on the turbo, making sure the tyre pressure is kept consistent.

At least it meant I was working damn hard for the last month...
  • cjcp
    Zachariah wrote:
    Note to fellow turbo-users: CHECK TYRE PRESSURE REGULARLY

Took the bike out into the real world at last and brought them back up to 110psi. Front and rear were both well under 70psi, despite feeling quite hard under the thumb. When I put it back on the turbo with the higer pressure, it made the workout feel much easier than last week.

Now I basically have to start again with calibrating perceived effort on the turbo, making sure the tyre pressure is kept consistent.

At least it meant I was working damn hard for the last month...

How did the race go?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."