Irrational hatreds

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sporting commentators who bring too much of themselves and their own opinions into commentary - you are a commentator, not a pundit. I don't care if you're bored or if you don't like the referee or if you disapprove of a team's tactics, and I don't want to know.

Describe the game and otherwise shut up.

c.f. Alan Green
    ...and now it's over to the action with Phil and Paul.

He's literally dancing on the pedals while digging into his suitcase of courage.

Go!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:
    My k/b; the n & the g are mixed up surely. Everytime I type somthign that ends in ign it comes out as ign. Anythign, everythign does. What's goign on? Is it a US k/b layout do you think?

Edit - I see BR's ponsey autocorrect s/w didn't pick that up did it? Ha.

I use the US International keyboard - it's handy for using accents - but the layout is still the standard QWERTY. Which k/b do you have installed?

A black one. :) More likely me tryign to type in boxing gloves.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Agent57 wrote:
    She's not a real doctor, you know.

Really? I never knew that. :P

what gave her away?

Dunno, just something I read that Ben Goldacre tweeted on Twitter. ;) Was all pretty bloody funny at the time. Relive teh lulz.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Rooner wrote:
    Staffy type dogs - hate them with a vengenance. My poor lurcher, who's a sensitive athletic non-violent type, has been attacked twice in the last week by the little chavvy thugs, almost resulting in a bout of fisticuffs with me and the owner.

Last attack was last night, owner was off his head on drugs in local park. Nice. So probably not an irrational hatred at all as I have cause

That is an irrational hatred! The most aggressive dog breed is, surprisingly, the Dachshund, though most any dog can be made aggressive if the owner is malicious enough. Our 2 staffies were the sweetest, friendliest dogs I ever knew, although they did bale up a burglar once. Good doggie! ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sporting commentators who bring too much of themselves and their own opinions into commentary - you are a commentator, not a pundit. I don't care if you're bored or if you don't like the referee or if you disapprove of a team's tactics, and I don't want to know.

Describe the game and otherwise shut up.

c.f. Alan Green
    ...and now it's over to the action with Phil and Paul.

He's literally dancing on the pedals while digging into his suitcase of courage.

Go!

Oh, and another: 'literally' is not a word used for emphasis. Use of 'literally' immediately before a metaphor or simile (which is by definition not a literal description of something) is just nonsense.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    rjsterry wrote:
    Oh, and another: 'literally' is not a word used for emphasis. Use of 'literally' immediately before a metaphor or simile (which is by definition not a literal description of something) is just nonsense.

We paid-up members of Pedants Anonymous know that, but in 50 years time it'll no-doubt be listed in the OED as merely another meaning of the word. I try to remind myself that language evolves, even if I often can't stop myself from commenting upon such transgressions. =)

I'll chuck "decimate" on the table to illustrate my point.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    "basically" - I hate people using this at the start of an explanation that then lasts 10 minutes and isn't basic at all........
  • Clarion wrote:
    I detest everything every member of the Coalition Govenment does every day, including putting milk on their cornflakes in the morning, if they do that.

But I can't bring myself to label it as 'irrational'.

<>.

entirely rational, especially the turncoat orange collection

Michael Gove, again entirely rational: the man defies polite description; piece together all of the 'reforms' and it is clearly social eugenics going on. The latest wheeze is setting straight GCSE's and at 14 - yet we're supposed to be closing the education gap between £rich and £poor and this won't by a long way: £poor=invariably lower attainment on entry to school+old style exams much earlier in life =no chance for the same level of catch up from the £poor kids to the £rich ones & generally poorer exam results + slashed funding to universities making them far more selective on their entry criteria = they become establishments predominantly accessible only to the £rich and so the educational inequality cycle goes.

narrowing the gap my A**E *rant over*
  • Russell Brand - What is the point of the man, he's neither funny nor clever. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned him yet.

People who call you sir.
  • Satu
    Satu Posts: 51
    Ugg boots.

Coleslaw.

The word "unputdownable".
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The sound of people eating. It just grosses me out.

Bromptons

Old steelies converted to single speedies and ridden by people in jeans (usually badly)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Crocs.

People walking down the middle of a busy pavement who just stop for no apparent reason, creating a small traffic jam as people try and negotiate the new traffic island that's just appeared.

Stupid hipster douchebags.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • secretsam
    People walking down the middle of a busy pavement who just stop for no apparent reason, creating a small traffic jam as people try and negotiate the new traffic island that's just appeared.

There's nothing irrational about that. I used to just plough into them. Same goes for people (usually of the female variety) who can't manage to walk at a normal speed when reading a text. I'm sorry, is that called "multi-tasking"? If so, you're sh17 at it :twisted:

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Agent57 wrote:

what gave her away? The correspondence course PhD she got, or her complete lack of basic human / plant biology knowledge (she thinks that chloroform can oxygenate your blood; presumably the sun really does shine out of her ars*, or that the water in food you eat does not count towards your daily intake - you have to DRINK it)

Do you mean Chlorophyll?
  • bunter wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

what gave her away? The correspondence course PhD she got, or her complete lack of basic human / plant biology knowledge (she thinks that chloroform can oxygenate your blood; presumably the sun really does shine out of her ars*, or that the water in food you eat does not count towards your daily intake - you have to DRINK it)

Do you mean Chlorophyll?
    Does this hanky smell of Chloroform to you, Ma'am?
  • Rapha.

But I'd argue that it's entirely rational.

Oh, and Condor too.

Don't get me started on Rapha-Condor.
  • bunter wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Do you mean Chlorophyll?

yes - I was having a bad day in the office and was utterly brain dead at my desk. :? :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Gillian McKeith....up there with bloody clowns that woman!
    :twisted:

By no means an irrational hatered. Perfectly natural and perfectly acceptable.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • SecretSam wrote:

There's nothing irrational about that. I used to just plough into them. Same goes for people (usually of the female variety) who can't manage to walk at a normal speed when reading a text. I'm sorry, is that called "multi-tasking"? If so, you're sh17 at it :twisted:

Talking about multi-tasking, has anyone met that woman who always gets to the checkout just before you and has to put all her shopping neatly wrapped up in plastic bags back into the trolley, before opening her handbag, looking for the place in her purse where she collects her 3p off coupons and loyalty cards, before she ignores the digital display in front of her and asks the cashier how much that is and said cashier has been sitting there staring into the middle distance for so long that they've forgotten and have to check aforementioned display to do her reading for her, simply for her to go rooting about in her purse again for the debit card? How comes her husband hasn't already throttled her?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Big blokes using wheely cabin bags.

Being honest, wheely cabin bags in general.
  • CiB
    Noticed this creeping into regular usage lately - TV & radio interviewees who begin the response to the question with the word 'so', like the fellow last night on the news from the Highways Agency, standing in a warehouse full of gritting salt for the M25 who when asked how much would be needed [or some such inane question], replied "So. We've got six of these buidlings..."

Patronsing, and makes these people sound just like those awful training providers that you encounter on some pointless Awareness Course in a conference room in a bland hotel near Heathrow from time to time (in a previous job obviously Kieran....).
  • CiB wrote:
    Patronsing, and makes these people sound just like those awful training providers that you encounter on some pointless Awareness Course in a conference room in a bland hotel near Heathrow from time to time (in a previous job obviously Kieran....).

Obviously.

Mine was at Vic Street... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    Canny Jock wrote:

+1,000,000

Particuarly when they obviously have an all-up weight equivalent to a sandwich :evil:

Get a proper bag and stop taking up the room of 2 people, you selfish tw&t. If you want to drag something pointless behind you, get a dog.

• secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

+1,000,000

Particuarly when they obviously have an all-up weight equivalent to a sandwich :evil:

Get a proper bag and stop taking up the room of 2 people, you selfish tw&t. If you want to drag something pointless behind you, get a dog.

That reminds me.

DOGS.

• CiB
    Christmas in September. You get back from the August Bank Holiday and suddenly it's everywhere; book your Christmas party now, bookings taken for Christmas, Noddy Chuffing Holder in John Lewis in October.

Christmas is for Christmas, not going on for half the %$£**!! year.

Strike all that.

Christmas.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    "And now, the news where you are".

When did the BBC start using this phrase? What was wrong with calling it local news, which it is? Sounds weird each time I hear it.

Skulks off to read the Daily Mail and get angry about foreigners and stuff...
  • Sc00bs
    Sc00bs Posts: 27
    Slightly controversial, and not aimed at anyone in particular on this, or any other forum, but.

People who sign their posts on a forum.

Most readers can see who's saying what by the funky little avatar and info on the Profile left of the post. Why feel the need to sign posts? Do you view posting on a thread as publishing? Strikes me as a very odd habit - and yes I realise the autosig can do it for you, meaning you don't need to retype it every time, but still...

Awaits flambee.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    Albert Einstein
  • Moths

Wheely cabin bags but so does everyone on here

Our new cat - miserable feker.

I like this thread
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    Definitely wheelie cabin bags. Especially the few miserable occasions when I've had to use the tube and someone cuts in front of you pulling their silly little case behind them so I trip over it. Now I just kick them out of the way.

Watching my mother-in-law eat. It's like listening to a bulldog eat a bowl of casserole.

Junk mail being put through my letterbox even though there is a "no junk mail" sign on my letter box. I've been known, on occasions, to catch them in the act, rip up their pizza/chinese/indian menu, cab card, whatever and throw it in their face. I know it makes me sound like a miserable bugger but then I don't go around putting my rubbish through other peoples letterboxes.

Actually, looking at the above I really need to lighten up...but it's too damn hard!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I love my wheely cabin bag !

Next door's cat, otoh, is a malevolent feline shitbag that sees my gravel driveway as its personal litter tray. Grr...
    Misguided Idealist