Irrational hatreds

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    napper wrote:
    Dog haters - absolutely loathe them. Generally (no, always) arrogant tw?ts, full of their own self importance, heads up their own ar?e as far as it can go.

My dog hate is rational - they bite me - I hate them.
  • rick_chasey
    All these goddamn adverts on Spotify that each refer to 'the most talked about album this year!' or 'the most anticipated album this year!'. They can't all be that can they? NO!

And while I'm at it, people in the queue for the checkout at supermarkets, who wait for 5 - 10 minutes to get to the front, and then act surprised when they get asked for money and take another 5 - 10 minutes to get everything out of their wallet/purse.

I hate people who are in such a hurry that they get angry at stuff like that.

If you were in that much of a hurry you should have turned up to the shop 10 minutes earlier!
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    And while I'm at it, people in the queue for the checkout at supermarkets, who wait for 5 - 10 minutes to get to the front, and then act surprised when they get asked for money and take another 5 - 10 minutes to get everything out of their wallet/purse.

but on the flip side of that there's also supermarket cashiers who upon seeing you evidently have a weeks worth of shopping on the belt so they try to see how quickly they can scan stuff through so packing the bags becomes some kind of 3 dimensional tetris on level one million lest you end up having to use 3x the bags as you have to stuff it all in mish mash instead of in a nice sensible order.

then when they're demanding payment you still don't have half your shopping packed still and everyone in the supermarket looks at you with the same disgust they would gary glitter in a preschool because you've not finished in your allotted time and as such are HOLDING UP THE ENTIRE WORLD!

then because you rushed to put all the stuff in the bags they're all uneven and that makes the walk home feels like one of the carrying events from worlds strongest man only more urgent as one of the bags has started to split and if you don't make it the final 200 yards in the next 5 seconds you're going to be picking up tins of beans from all over the bloody road...

I hate food shopping. :(
    Hat + Beard
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    TV volume going up at the adds
    People stopping to chat in doorways and on busy corners (esp with mult-spawn pushchairs).
    Low fat anything (except people)
  • I hate people who are in such a hurry that they get angry at stuff like that.

If you were in that much of a hurry you should have turned up to the shop 10 minutes earlier!

It's less angry, and more of a solid eye-roll. But seriously, being asked to pay can't be a surprise every time? Can it?
    hatbeard wrote:
    I hate food shopping.

A couple of months ago we switched to getting our food online from Ocado. I wouldn't go so far to say it's changed my life, but it's a big improvement for sure.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • rick_chasey
    I hate people who are in such a hurry that they get angry at stuff like that.

It's less angry, and more of a solid eye-roll. But seriously, being asked to pay can't be a surprise every time? Can it?

Yeah but usually I've tucked it away somewhere safe while I'm busy packing my bags - and then mid-pack they ask me to pay, which is a little tricky, since I have my hands full.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    TV volume going up at the adds

They're not actually allowed to broadcast adverts any louder. What they do is compress the ever living crap out of them so they appear louder to the listener, especially when you've just come from a much less compressed TV show.

It's the same effect as if you were to switch to Radio 1 from Radio 3 or similar, as popular music is compressed to shit, especially for radio play. If it's 'louder', then it sounds 'better'.
    FCN - 10
  • I hate people who are in such a hurry that they get angry at stuff like that.

Yeah but usually I've tucked it away somewhere safe while I'm busy packing my bags - and then mid-pack they ask me to pay, which is a little tricky, since I have my hands full.

Ah well, there's a difference between being ready to pay just as soon as you've packed everything up (totally understandable, you're not an octopus right?), or having to find your money/cards/etc. in that pocket? Oh no what about this pocket? And so on and so forth.
    FCN - 10
  • People who have conversations right slap bang in the middle of the pavement / walkway / aisle.

People who abandon trollies in the middle of aisles to go looking for something 3 aisles away.

(although I have had my revenge a few times - I hide the trolly)

People who stop dead for no readily apparent reason when you're walking behind them

People who faff.

Clowns.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • HVRNR
    HVRNR Posts: 20
    W1 wrote:
    HVRNR wrote:
    I've thought of another one! Vanessa Feltz...what exactly is she for?

Sorry, this thread is for irrantional hatreds. That one doesn't fulfil the criteria.

I can't stand her but I don't know why. Doesn't that fulfil the criteria of irrational?
    Some days you wake and immediately start to worry, nothing in particular is wrong its just the feeling that forces are quietly aligning and there will be trouble

Felt Z35
    FCN 4
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    People who say 'for free'.

You don't get something for free, you get it free. Or you get it for nothing.

Every time I hear it or read it I want to jump up and down in the ignorant bugger's throat.
  • guinea
    I hate people who post in 'street talk'.

Yes, I actually hate the person.
  • guinea
    I just hate stupid people.
  • rick_chasey
    guinea wrote:

Every time I hear it or read it I want to jump up and down in the ignorant bugger's throat.

I'm pretty sure gramatically it's either "for free" or "free of charge"....
  • HVRNR wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    HVRNR wrote:
    I've thought of another one! Vanessa Feltz...what exactly is she for?

Sorry, this thread is for irrantional hatreds. That one doesn't fulfil the criteria.

I can't stand her but I don't know why. Doesn't that fulfil the criteria of irrational?

No, all hatred of that thing is entirely rational, being able to explain why is not necessary.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    guinea wrote:

Unintentional double negatives
    "I didn't do nothing"

So you did something? Dolt.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • (Haven't we had this one yet?)

"These items are in store now", or even worse "These items are instore now". When did shops become stores? When did the definitive article become irrelevant - These items are in the store now, or The items are in stores / shops now. When did "in store" or "instore" become a 'sort of verb'?
  • millimole wrote:
    (Haven't we had this one yet?)

"These items are in store now", or even worse "These items are instore now". When did shops become stores? When did the definitive article become irrelevant - These items are in the store now, or The items are in stores / shops now. When did "in store" or "instore" become a 'sort of verb'?

What sites do *you* shop at to get that?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    Book in advance.

Pre-book in advance.

A book is in advance anyway.

Just book...
  • guinea
    guinea wrote:

No.

Free is an adjective or adverb and should not be used after for.

Free of charge is perfect, as long as you don't say 'for free of charge'.

'For free' is an Americanism, and as such will pulverise UK English into the ground, one dumbed down smash after another.
  • guinea
    A burglar burgles. He does not burglarise and your house has not been burglarised.

This is as dumb as saying your house has been painterised.
  • rick_chasey
    guinea wrote:
    guinea wrote:

No.

Free is an adjective or adverb and should not be used after for.

Free of charge is perfect, as long as you don't say 'for free of charge'.

'For free' is an Americanism, and as such will pulverise UK English into the ground, one dumbed down smash after another.
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... ish/free_2

The example given:
    We will install your washing machine free of charge/for free (= without charge).
  • guinea
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... ish/free_2

The example given:
    We will install your washing machine free of charge/for free (= without charge).

Hah, that's funny.

In Fowler's Modern English usage published by Oxford University Press they say:
    "For free" was initially an American pleonasm, but it's now used fairly regularly on both sides of the Atlantic in "light-hearted contexts" (to the point that Brits are apt to contain the phrase within quotation marks).

In other words, it's so dumb we have to put quotes round it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/free
    Idiom:
    for free Informal Without charge.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Book in advance.

Pre-book in advance.

Just book...
    You'll be meaning pre-order then. Gaah - I hate that.
  • guinea
    guinea wrote:
    A burglar burgles. He does not burglarise and your house has not been burglarised.

This is as dumb as saying your house has been painterised.

Oops, done in this thread already.

I also hate people who join a thread late, don't read the whole thing and then make the same points someone smarter made earlier.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,405
    guinea wrote:

Nope, it's just 'free of charge'; 'for free' is a mistaken use of free to mean nothing, as in 'you can have that for nothing'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    Book in advance.

Pre-book in advance.

Just book...
    You'll be meaning pre-order then. Gaah - I hate that.

2642906541_9ffacf82b4.jpg
  • rjsterry
    On the subject of Americanisms: we should be careful about slagging them off, as some of them are actually archaic English spellings or figures of speech (Englishisms? Anglisms? Eurgh!) which have dropped out of use in this country.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    On the subject of Americanisms: we should be careful about slagging them off, as some of them are actually archaic English spellings or figures of speech (Englishisms? Anglisms? Eurgh!) which have dropped out of use in this country.
    The Fall for Autumn is one such example
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Oh my! Look what I've found
    Pinnacle Monzonite